Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact he's PL experienced, and scored 14 then 21 goals for Brentford the seasons before last, and it seems obvious that he will get more chances playing for United.
Have you not seen United play recently? Chances are almost as rare as hens teeth

The idea we'd sign Toney as a rotational option is a nonsense, he is reported to want wages similar to that of Bruno and would cost what £40-50m. So overall the value of the transfer makes zero sense.

We also go through most matches creating sod all, yet Toney will supposedly come in and bang in these non existent chances.

He likely wouldn't be on penalty duty at Man Utd.

Excluding penalties he's scored at a rate of about 1 goal every 292 minutes / 3.3 appearances in the PL.

The fact he's PL experienced, and scored 14 then 21 goals for Brentford the seasons before last, and it seems obvious that he will get more chances playing for United.
So he's 28 years old and has had one season in his entire career where he has scored 20 goals in the Premier League. The year before that season, he scored 12. Last season, 4. That total includes 11 penalties.

I'd prefer Solanke but it sounds like he'll be going to Spurs. Both better than what we have.

I don't believe we need a striker.
As a short term loan or freebie I would say we should. If it involves a transfer fee then no.

We need someone who realizes they will be 3rd or 4th choice to play upfront. If hojlund, zirkzee, rashford are fit, you ain't playing.

A freebie like Chupo Motang fits that bill.

As a short term loan or freebie I would say we should. If it involves a transfer fee then no.

We need someone who realizes they will be 3rd or 4th choice to play upfront. If hojlund, zirkzee, rashford are fit, you ain't playing.

A freebie like Chupo Motang fits that bill.
Yeah, if we absolutely have to get a striker, then some old man poacher type who can be a backup to Højlund. However, it's not something that I'm desperate for at all because I'm quite content with what we have.

Why is Ducker pushing for Toney so much? I don't even think we are that interested yet Ducker keeps mentioning his name time and again. And if we wanted an experienced striker we would have went shopping for one on the cheap(Toney isn't going to be cheap) already instead of going for Zirkzee.
It's been reported by multiple reliable journalists that we have interest in him.

One is injured for 2 months and the other is new to the league and hasn’t kicked a ball with his teammates. Talk about risk taking and hoping for the best.
How is it risk taking? We literally have two centre forwards vying for one position. Plus a talented youth centre forward. Sounds about par for the course.

We shouldn't sign a forward just cause ours is out for 6 weeks.
We don't really need any more either. We have igger issues to deal with in midfield and defence. As it stands we don't have an EPL ready 6 for the first XI in the squad. Neither do we have an alternated partner for Maguire in our second cb pair who can offer what Yoro or Martinez do. Both in terns of speed and on ball quality.

We have limited quality AND limited squad depth.
It would take a miracle for us to be near any kind of title challenge. This squad overall is Europa League level
Correct. It has been since ETH arrived. Over performance in season one deceived many into flattery. Lying to themselves the quality was better than it actually was.

Obi Martin is allegedly 3rd choice after Zirkzee. Can’t see us adding another striker who mainly scores penalties
Isn’t he a kid?
Bruno has worked as false 9 in the small number of times we’ve used him like that. Sancho hasn’t because he’s not half the player Bruno is
Fair, but not the best use of Bruno.
I think we've all forgotten what it's like to have a decent experienced PL proven striker at the club, and so think we don't need one.

Hojlund, Zirkzee, and a 16 year old kid, has lack of goals once again written all over it.

Toney wouldn't be the first choice, but he'd still likely get 20-25 goals, which has to be a good thing.
Good post, I think you are right. If we could guarantee goals I believe we’d be in the mix for a title fight, but we’re so inexperienced and profligate in front of goal and we might struggle again.
Sancho as a false 9 is such a terrible idea.
Sancho as a Manchester United player is a terrible idea.

And you think Toney is ?
What? I haven't mentioned Toney.

I'm worried about where the goals are going to come from. We've had two low scoring seasons and all we've done to improve that is sign a young player that isn't know for scoring and a 16 year old. I don't think that we'll go for another SC but it doesn't mean that we don't need one or we'll need our wide players to get good numbers.

Nor is Toney.
Never said he was.

It's been reported by multiple reliable journalists that we have interest in him.
Which feels like agent talking. If we were really interested, we would have gone for him instead of spending 34m on Zirkzee.

Which feels like agent talking. If we were really interested, we would have gone for him instead of spending 34m on Zirkzee.
Zirkzee can play all 4 front positions (as Erik said). We need Toney. More than Ugarte and De Ligt.
I know that it is not the case but he should be our absolute priority right now.

Isn’t he a kid?

Fair, but not the best use of Bruno.

Good post, I think you are right. If we could guarantee goals I believe we’d be in the mix for a title fight, but we’re so inexperienced and profligate in front of goal and we might struggle again.

Sancho as a Manchester United player is a terrible idea.
Normally I’d agree he’s just a kid but supposedly that’s what he’s been told

Zirkzee can play all 4 front positions (as Erik said). We need Toney. More than Ugarte and De Ligt.
I know that it is not the case but he should be our absolute priority right now.
Are you serious? we have plenty of players who can score but we fail to create chances, Hoijlund has an 55% shot conversion rate, problem is he only had limited chances, Rashford, Garnacho, Bruno, Zirkzee, Mount, and potentially Sancho and Amad are all capable of getting 15 goals+ each, the problem is that the midfield and defence are not functioning correctly, sort out the midfield and defence which we hopefully have gone a long way towards if we sign De Ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte, add in Collyer and Amass, and the attack should improve. Signing Toney is like fitting a new turbo to a car with a broken rear axle and asking why it still doesn't run! .... spending money on another attacker when we have bigger issues is lunacy

Which he has rarely done. He was signed as a ST to compete and rotate with Hojlund and I think that's the way it's going to be. 3rd choice ST is going to be someone from the youth teams in case of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.