Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally can’t see him being sold this window because their shiny new striker bought to replace him got a bad injury in their last preseason match

Isnt he out of contract next summer though, if so I imagine Brentford would prefer to let him go in this window so they can recieve a decent fee rather than losing him for free next summer.

Isnt he out of contract next summer though, if so I imagine Brentford would prefer to let him go in this window so they can recieve a decent fee rather than losing him for free next summer.
And be left without a main striker? As I said their new one, his replacement, just got badly injured

And be left without a main striker? As I said their new one, his replacement, just got badly injured
Not that I think we will (or indeed, should) sign him, but I do still think he'll leave Brentford. The guy they signed this summer to replace Toney may have gotten injured, but the guy they signed last summer to help replace Toney is fit again, having missed almost all of the season gone through injury.

Also, it just doesn't feel like it suits their model to keep Toney now and let him go for nothing in the summer. I reckon he goes to a lesser club than he thought he'd be going to, for a far lesser price than Brentford hoped.

Tbf they where without their main striker for most of the last season and didn't seem to miss him much because of Wissa and Mbuemo. When he came back, he didn't play much either.

Tbf they where without their main striker for most of the last season and didn't seem to miss him much because of Wissa and Mbuemo. When he came back, he didn't play much either.

Indeed, they would be better off selling him while they can get a fee and then use the money to buy someone like Dominic Solanke.

Not a chance of this happening. Why would we sign a prime age striker for massive money who would expect to start every week after spending over 100m on two young strikers and also bringing in a 16 year old to blood into the first team.

The signing of Toney would be a mistake, he's a good player but it would rob our young players of a chance to develop. That's the exact problem we have had for years, bring in a big money older player rather than prioritise the project and work on the talent we have

There’s been so much of this rumoured in the press, there’s clearly something going on in the background, player came out and said he wanted to join United, 12 months left on his contract, however this only happens if Sancho leaves which I’m not sure will happen.

Does ETH Want Ivan Toney, he’s not saying no is he, Can Zirkzee play 10 and wide right yes? Can Toney play in a two yes? Will United switch to a 4312 or 442 diamond in certain away games?

Would RVN love to work with Zirkzee, Hojlund, Rashford, Obi-Martin, Amad, Garnacho and Ivan Toney?

I bet Toney, Rashford, Obi Martin, Zirkzee and Hojlund would love to work with Ruud more.

Will we really use a 16 year old however talented, this kid is not 17 until November 24, getting minutes yes, being in every PL match day squad?

I highly doubt it with or without Toney being signed. I do agree with most on CAF however this will not happen unless we can sell Sancho and buy Ivan Toney for a similar fee to what we generate from Sancho Sale.

In reality however, I’m sure Toney’s wages would be lower than Sancho’s at maybe £200k per week so from an accounting point of view if the club releases A Martial(250k), F Pellistri(10m/15k), J Sancho(35m/300k) and then bought Zirkzee(36m/80k), Obi Martin(5m compensation/30k), I Toney(40m/200k).

If all players are signed on 5 years contracts the club would be loosing £560k per week on wages or £29m per year and adding £310k or £16m, there is a deficit in Sancho Fee that the club still owed to what would now be received but the reduction in wages would offset that loss, so it could happen but only if Sancho leaves!

I wonder if Brentford will risk keeping him until Jan now considering their new striker is out for 2024 due to injury.

Not a chance of this happening. Why would we sign a prime age striker for massive money who would expect to start every week after spending over 100m on two young strikers and also bringing in a 16 year old to blood into the first team.

The signing of Toney would be a mistake, he's a good player but it would rob our young players of a chance to develop. That's the exact problem we have had for years, bring in a big money older player rather than prioritise the project and work on the talent we have
Hypothetically what about if he accepts a squad role like he did with the England National squad, he seemed to gloat over Kane as his inspiration and called him the Goat in interviews, the young English players got on with him and he seemed a good egg, maybe he could accept being a much smaller fish in a much bigger pond.

I like his mentality, he’s horrible to play against and he has a never say die attitude that a lot of our current squad do not possess, he’s also a leader of men, another quality this squad clearly lacks. Simple question Would you take Jadon Sancho at 24 or Ivan Toney at 28 with Toney accepting wages of £100k per week less than Sancho?

It just doesn't seem a logical one to me for numerous reasons, I struggle to think this is a real target.

Too good or expensive to play third fiddle but not exceptional enough we absolutely need to add him to the squad.

Prepare for Wout II, the Revenge.

Toney if available cheap is a no brainer. Of course we want Rasmus to come through but if he’s injured or is’t in good form we are stuffed. Young players if good enough will take that place.

Rooney’s competition in 2004:

Ronaldo (wing) Solkjaer, Van Nistelrooy, Diego Forlan, Giuseppe Rossi, Louise Saha and the biggest of them all David Bellion.

A few of them didn’t make it and VN was sold but overall we were successful due to having great competition.

I wonder if Brentford will risk keeping him until Jan now considering their new striker is out for 2024 due to injury.
No chance if a bid comes in that match our valuation for him - makes no business sense to keep him in that scenario.

We started fine last season without Toney and Thiago will be back end of the year but with Wissa, Schade and Mbuemo as our starting 3 upfront we will be covered.

Toney is a cornflakes dream of a small number of posters

Zirkzee will replace Hojlund or perhaps false 9, we won’t be spending money on Toney

Toney if available cheap is a no brainer. Of course we want Rasmus to come through but if he’s injured or is’t in good form we are stuffed. Young players if good enough will take that place.

Rooney’s competition in 2004:

Ronaldo (wing) Solkjaer, Van Nistelrooy, Diego Forlan, Giuseppe Rossi, Louise Saha and the biggest of them all David Bellion.

A few of them didn’t make it and VN was sold but overall we were successful due to having great competition.
Context, we played 2 up top. Now we play 1 CF

I want us to operate as ruthlessly as Real from now, tell a player who's got a year left to run his contract down to join us the next season, give them a decent signing on bonus, everyone wins. I hope we pick him up on a free next summer.

Never happening. We arent spending (and probably dont have) the cash required to sign Toney for cover considering we have already signed Zirkzee for the forward positions.

If we were looking to sign him as first choice we probably would have.

It’s also a cornflakes dream for Brentford if they think that they can get 50m+ for him. There’s a reason the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea dropped their interest. Hes not a 30m player nevermind any higher

I'm calling bs on this one, we don't have the money to go out and buy them, we have to sell first.
Agreed. If anything it will be a short term loan of a experienced striker.

Chupo Motang is without a club at the moment since leaving Bayern. He's 35.

I would take him on a free (simply because we have no money to sign a proper striker). Plus once hojlund is fit again he wouldn't kick up a fuss about being a squad player. Plus PL experience.

No chance if a bid comes in that match our valuation for him - makes no business sense to keep him in that scenario.

We started fine last season without Toney and Thiago will be back end of the year but with Wissa, Schade and Mbuemo as our starting 3 upfront we will be covered.

What is your valuation out of interest?

I want us to operate as ruthlessly as Real from now, tell a player who's got a year left to run his contract down to join us the next season, give them a decent signing on bonus, everyone wins. I hope we pick him up on a free next summer.
Went well for them with Yoro, didn't it?

What is your valuation out of interest?
That's a tough one, I know there's a narrative from some on here that he is overrated but not for me more like underrated by those who don't see him week in week out and in training - he is only behind Harry Kane for me in terms of English centre forwards. Given his ban and contract situation no way we are getting 80-100m. So for me I'd be happy around the £60m mark but who knows what the club think - they are far clever than me and have complete confidence that they know what they are doing and doubt they will blink first in negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.