Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be disappointed at all, if he was a 90M young player whose best scoring season was 8 goals people would be all over him. He'd be a good rotation option and support for our younger forwards who clearly need experience around them. I wouldn't pay more than 25M for him though.
i wouldn’t be disappointed if we got him for 25m either, but I can’t see it. Anything under 40 and Brentford would probably rather keep him for the last year of his deal.

I wouldn't be disappointed at all, if he was a 90M young player whose best scoring season was 8 goals people would be all over him. He'd be a good rotation option and support for our younger forwards who clearly need experience around them. I wouldn't pay more than 25M for him though.
We don't need him. We have Højlund and Zirkzee. At the absolute maximum, we would need some old poacher to play second fiddle to Højlund, whilst Zirkzee offers us something different. Toney lacks the maturity and humility to play such a limited role.

We still don't have many forward options, reliable ones anyway.
We have 2 strikers, 2 left wingers and 3 right wingers. 7 players for 3 positions.
As i said; Toney would be amazing signing but with Zirkzee now, that ship has sailed.

Yeah. I guess you could argue for depth/variety sake it would be good to have a more seasoned striker but I expect we'll be filling that gap (if at all) with a loan of some old head again.

Depends massively on price but I’d be excited to get him here. About as premier league-proven as we could realistically get

Depends massively on price but I’d be excited to get him here. About as premier league-proven as we could realistically get
He is better than Hojlund. He would be massive upgrade. But yeah, price is biggest issue here. 30-40 mil seems ok, 50-60 mil is over the top.

Non-penalty goals per 90 in their PL seasons:

Toney:

Hojlund:

And lest you think Hojlund benefitted from playing for a better attacking team, our xG last season was on par with Brentford's last two seasons. 56.5 versus 58.2 & 56.3.

Far from Toney being some PL-proven guarantee of goals that Hojlund isn't, Hojlund almost exactly matched Toney's best rate of returns in the PL in his very first attempt.

With Hojlund being being more likely to improve at 21 than Toney at 28, there's quite a strong chance that Hojund is simply a better goalscorer than Toney from here forward.

Penalties and minutes seriously warp some people's perception of his goal threat. If you're looking to add a more reliable source of goals, Toney simply isn't the guy.

I think that the media is coming to grabs with parallel negotiations. That means clubs pursuing 3 deals at ones in the same position only to drop two once one is signed.

We don't need him. We have Højlund and Zirkzee. At the absolute maximum, we would need some old poacher to play second fiddle to Højlund, whilst Zirkzee offers us something different. Toney lacks the maturity and humility to play such a limited role.

If we got him. Højlund would not play much for United.. To think Højlund is better than Toney is just stupid

Neither of those players has proven they can score 20 goals a season, having another option won't hurt. We don't score that many goals and that won't change with Zirkzee.

We have 2 strikers, 2 left wingers and 3 right wingers. 7 players for 3 positions.
As i said; Toney would be amazing signing but with Zirkzee now, that ship has sailed.
I was talking about reliable options.

Rashford - Unreliable
Garnacho - Reliable
Hojlund - Jury is still out
Sancho - Unreliable
Amad - Jury is still out
Antony - Unreliable
Zirkzee - Not played a game
Pellestri - Unreliable

1 of our forwards can be counted on. You say we have so many options but you see them written down it's a depressing sight for a team with any ambitions.

Last edited:
Neither of those players has proven they can score 20 goals a season, having another option won't hurt. We don't score that many goals and that won't change with Zirkzee.
Neither has Toney, without his pens

Toney is a 10-15 goals a season striker, it would be utterly pointless to spend 40-50m on him when we have a very similar player in Höjlund and he is still young with lots of room to improve.

I think Mctominay will be leaving - he basically spent the latter half of last season as a shadow striker alongside Hojlund or Bruno and I think Zirkzee is his replacement meaning we can bring in Toney as the Martial replacement. Sell Casemiro and Eriksen then add two deeper midfielders.

Toney is a 10-15 goals a season striker, it would be utterly pointless to spend 40-50m on him when we have a very similar player in Höjlund and he is still young with lots of room to improve.

For Brentford that is pretty good. We need another striker and Toney is a menace for opposition defenders.

1 of our forwards can be counted on. You say we have so many options but you see them written down it's a depressing sight for a team with any ambitions.
I think it depends on the post/poster - glass half full or half empty viewpoint. Some will go “I like xxxxx, hope he kicks on” and some ”I’ve watched xxxxx for a few games, he’s not good enough, let’s spend another £50m” (that we haven’t got).

For example, I’ve seen posters backing Sancho :lol:

I'd sign him definitely, we have to be ruthless in this window after the season we just had. SAF had four strikers competing with each other at the height of our success.

Playing for Brentford and United are two different stories. I think him scoring 20 goals would be realistic in United.

Not really. Brentford create a lot more chances than United, so if you look at it that way, it is more likely he would score fewer goals for us than he does for Brentford. And let's not forget the added pressure of playing for United over Brentford and playing with inside forwards who would rather cut in to score themselves than provide for Højlund/Toney.

3 different types of strikers wouldn’t be a bad thing, no?

Only concern is whether he can manage being a bench player.

I think Mctominay will be leaving - he basically spent the latter half of last season as a shadow striker alongside Hojlund or Bruno and I think Zirkzee is his replacement meaning we can bring in Toney as the Martial replacement. Sell Casemiro and Eriksen then add two deeper midfielders.
Don’t get my hopes up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.