Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't a RW mate. Transfermarkt has him down playing two games there in his career.
Fair enough, maybe they’re looking at a rotational thing, Hojlund is clearly RAW & shows talent but can’t be there week on week, know nothing about Zirkzee but I would assume similar, I would think Toney would come in as number 1

He would be an excellent signing for us. We used to always have 4 strikers in the old days - he would give us a dimension that the others don’t - it’s not about either or - just gives you other options.

He is also PL ready, very confident, great in the air and excellent hold up play.

What we have lacked last season was the ability to change it up - this would certainly do that.

Agreed the fee is too much……however other reports that we are interested in Calvert-Lewin have got to be nonsense as he is made of glass and would compete with Shaw and Malacia for permanent residency in the physio room.

He would be an excellent signing for us. We used to always have 4 strikers in the old days - he would give us a dimension that the others don’t - it’s not about either or - just gives you other options.

He is also PL ready, very confident, great in the air and excellent hold up play.

What we have lacked last season was the ability to change it up - this would certainly do that.

Agreed the fee is too much……however other reports that we are interested in Calvert-Lewin have got to be nonsense as he is made of glass and would compete with Shaw and Malacia for permanent residency in the physio room.

Yeah Calvert-Lewin is maybe one of the most injury prone strikers I can ever remember in this league

Calvert lewin would be a good signing at a cheap enough price. Madrid have joselu, Bayern have chupo motang. Neither are good enough to start every game but good squad players. If Calvert lewin could accept a role like, then why not?

We used to play with 2 strikers, 4 strikers when you only play 1 is overkill

Calvert lewin would be a good signing at a cheap enough price. Madrid have joselu, Bayern have chupo motang. Neither are good enough to start every game but good squad players. If Calvert lewin could accept a role like, then why not?

Maybe for like 5m, but Everton are apparently looking for 30m

Don't want DCL and we can't afford Toney nor would it make sense if we are purchasing Zirkzee. 3 CF's would be just stupid when we would need to improve out wide as well.

So you want to make numbers just for the sake of making up numbers? No point in adding him for squad depth if he isn’t going to available half the time. And he isn’t even good in the first place for a team like Man United.

So you want to make numbers just for the sake of making up numbers? No point in adding him for squad depth if he isn’t going to available half the time. And he isn’t even good in the first place for a team like Man United.
Did you read and understand my post. Is joselu good enough for Madrid first team or chupo motang for Bayern? Having a experienced bench option if you can get him cheap enough isn't a bad idea. If it's good enough for two of the bigger clubs in European football, why not us?

Don't want DCL and we can't afford Toney nor would it make sense if we are purchasing Zirkzee. 3 CF's would be just stupid when we would need to improve out wide as well.

There is a plan I am certain

Did you read and understand my post. Is joselu good enough for Madrid first team or chupo motang for Bayern? Having a experienced bench option if you can get him cheap enough isn't a bad idea. If it's good enough for two of the bigger clubs in European football, why not us?
Do we have the squad depth that both teams have?

Good to hear him get referenced in Athletic podcast with Ornstein and Anka,obviously dependent on being able to make significant sales. Now Ducker has also referenced potential interest in his latest article too

Last edited:
We definitely need him. I hope this happens. *Fingers crossed*
Agreed

I'd be shocked if he wasn't prepared to push for the move too, assuming we formalise our interest. He seems to have made a few comments about wanting to join a bigger team and he's 28 so it feels like this summer is the best time to do it and still have a few years at his peak.

Agreed

I'd be shocked if he wasn't prepared to push for the move too, assuming we formalise our interest. He seems to have made a few comments about wanting to join a bigger team and he's 28 so it feels like this summer is the best time to do it and still have a few years at his peak.

He only has one year remaining on his contract. Despite all the posturing from Brentford they'll come down on the price as the window rolls on. He'd be a great buy for Gbp 40m-45m. Can easily give us 3-4 years while Rasmus develops in the background without the pressure of having to be the main at a top club.

The only worry is that Arsenal and Chelsea might get interested too if they can't get their first choice strikers.

I don't get the point of signing 3 center forwards. If we went for Toney anyway, we could have skipped Zirkzee then.

3 expensive strikers when we only have one position seems overkill to me. Especially when Ten Hag doesn't rotate much unless he's forced to.
This is a bit of a chicken or egg situation, though, so it can be looked at in different ways. He has never had the quality of squad to rotate reliably, so he has been forced to play the same team/players (add injuries, too). There's no guarantee that he doesn't want to rotate at times if he has access to better options.

I don't get the point of signing 3 center forwards. If we went for Toney anyway, we could have skipped Zirkzee then.

Zrikzee can play anywhere across the front line and also number 10

If this is true then only way it makes sense is that ETH sees the 4-4-2 he played at the end of last season as a viable option

Zrikzee can play anywhere across the front line and also number 10
Can he really? Think he'd be pretty awful as a winger in the PL with that little pace. Even as a 10, he'd get nowhere near as much time and space as he does in the Serie A. There are so many number 10's that have failed in the PL, I struggle to think he could suddenly play there.

Can he really? Think he'd be pretty awful as a winger in the PL with that little pace. Even as a 10, he'd get nowhere near as much time and space as he does in the Serie A. There are so many number 10's that have failed in the PL, I struggle to think he could suddenly play there.

He came on at number 10 about a week ago for the Netherlands didn't he? Hes also played there before
Sure not 100% sure how he would do in the PL, but he looks the profile of player who could play at 10 to me, seems natural to his game

The plan seemed to be that we would buy a seasoned PL proven striker to support Hojlund. I think that’s still the plan but that Zirkzee being available at a relatively low price meant we went for him now too.

The fact is, neither Hojlund or Zirkzee will guarantee 20+ goals next season. They have potential for sure but if Zirkzee follows Hojlund’s pattern for his first season (which would be perfectly normal for a young striker in a new faster paced league) we’d be in poor shape goals wise.

We’ll have enough game time for all three, especially with EL games on Thursday nights.

All that being said, I imagine Toney will cost 70mil plus and therefore I’d be surprised if he was who we bought.

The plan seemed to be that we would buy a seasoned PL proven striker to support Hojlund. I think that’s still the plan but that Zirkzee being available at a relatively low price meant we went for him now too.

The fact is, neither Hojlund or Zirkzee will guarantee 20+ goals next season. They have potential for sure but if Zirkzee follows Hojlund’s pattern for his first season (which would be perfectly normal for a young striker in a new faster paced league) we’d be in poor shape goals wise.

We’ll have enough game time for all three, especially with EL games on Thursday nights.

All that being said, I imagine Toney will cost 70mil plus and therefore I’d be surprised if he was who we bought.

He’s only got a year left on his contract, they’ll accept way less than £70m. His goals next season won’t be worth £70m to them and he’ll leave for free if they don’t sell him. Would be closer to £50m, like Mount was. Which is still a lot, but more realistic, especially if structured with add-ons.

He came on at number 10 about a week ago for the Netherlands didn't he? Hes also played there before
Sure not 100% sure how he would do in the PL, but he looks the profile of player who could play at 10 to me, seems natural to his game
Yeah with little to no impact. Don't think he has any midfield qualities really. He can carry the ball and has some vision on him, but he's been a striker his entire youth career. A striker that relied an awful lot on his physicality, when that didn'nt work he has focused a lot more on his touch, dribbling which has really helped him in the last years.

It's a bit like playing Isak as a #10 though. Don't think that would work at all.

How many centre forwards do you think Fergie would have had in this era where everyone plays one up front?
5 or 6, with at least 4 that can play across the front line and I'm being serious.

Tbf, SAF usually had 4 quality options rotating for 2 spots. We don't play with 2 forwards up top, unless EtH might be tweaking the formation/Zirkzee pushed out wide etc.
How many centre forwards do you think Fergie would have had in this era where everyone plays one up front?

Was more just trying to point out we had a manager who did it plenty of times and would probably have adapted to sign players the way Liverpool did under Klopp.

As I alluded to earlier anyway, we are in the process of shifting three attacking players who contributed nothing last season (Greenwood, Sancho and Martial) and replacing them with potentially Zirkzee and say, Toney. That's not bad and more how we should be looking at things, considering how things were last year with those players and how badly we suffered scoring goals.

I also think Sir Alex would still have had at least 3, one established and 2 younger fighting for the chance. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.