Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
We cant be sitting here going "we have too many strikers" after the goal input last season. Pack that position, making everyone scared of being dropped.

How does a German source like Falk get this news if there's anything to it of course

Wasn’t that long ago when Fergie was in charge and we had 4 strikers, us having 3 would be fantastic. Toney offers something completely different up front and can bring the rest of the team into the game with his hold up play and strength.

has anyone mentioned that Fergie had four strikers yet
He did but that was back when we use to play 4-4-2 and a lot of teams use to play 2 up top back then. Nowadays it’s all about the lone ST. I’d still sign him though. Him, Højlund and Zirkzee would be very decent options.

If he had any sense, he’d see out his contract and sign for someone on a free next season.

If he had any sense, he’d see out his contract and sign for someone on a free next season.
That would require gambling on his ability to stay healthy and productive next year, and he may not want to take that bet

Think I wouldn’t mind this at all. Yeah 3 strikers seem like overkill but it’s not like Zirkzee and Hojlund are world class.

Think I wouldn’t mind this at all. Yeah 3 strikers seem like overkill but it’s not like Zirkzee and Hojlund are world class.

Already reported they see Zirkzee as someone who can operate anywhere on the front line so only would leave Hojlund and Toney as out and out strikers.

Already reported they see Zirkzee as someone who can operate anywhere on the front line so only would leave Hojlund and Toney as out and out strikers.
I’ve seen this. I can imagine him playing on the left wing based on his profile but has he ever really played anywhere else asides striker?

I’ve seen this. I can imagine him playing on the left wing based on his profile but has he ever really played anywhere else asides striker?

Played as a 10 2nd most, with 10 games and 1 goal and 1 assist. And then 2 games on the right

https://www.transfermarkt.com/joshua-zirkzee/leistungsdaten/spieler/435648

He doesnt have pace so dont expect him to match our counter attacks or fly down the wing. He could play someone else in, or he could dribble. He usually gets 1 goal from outside the box a season so there is that.

I like his confidence. He gives defenders a torrid time and he scores in big games. He is great in both boxes and actually plays like a CF, occupying defenders and giving everyone something to think about.

He would be a great signing for 40 million. Way under his value as an English forward who went to the Euros.

They won’t get double, especially if the player has told them he wants to leave. My guess would be that we are in because of the opportunity and what agents have told us.

Brentford have never sold a player for more than £28 million, there is no way the window will close and they will lose him for free in 10 months rather than take a record fee.

The quoted post is for both of you. How is Toney better than Hojlund when Hojlund matched Toney's best return in the PL in his first season itself and how does scoring 10-15 good for Brentford when we pretty much create the same xG as them?

Simple - he doesn't need to be better, he's another option who is tried and tested in this league who will work hard and score goals. We cannot go into another season with Hojlund as our only striker.

He’s an absolute menace, and would walk in to our starting 11.
Toney is a far better striker than Hojlund.

He’s also a far better striker than anyone Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have.

Agree - he's a nightmare to play against, we would know!

They won’t get double, especially if the player has told them he wants to leave. My guess would be that we are in because of the opportunity and what agents have told us.

Brentford have never sold a player for more than £28 million, there is no way the window will close and they will lose him for free in 10 months rather than take a record fee.
Depends. PL survivial is worth £60mil to them. Keep toney get the goals, stay up and lose him on a free next summer when he's 29. Or sell him and go down?

It's not as clear cut as it looks.

Simple - he doesn't need to be better, he's another option who is tried and tested in this league who will work hard and score goals. We cannot go into another season with Hojlund as our only striker.
We have added Zirkzee as another striker. I really don't think we need 3 strikers when we play with 1 striker formation. I think when Sancho and Greenwood leave another wide forward in the mould of Rashford who can also play as a striker will be brought in rather than us signing another out and out striker. And that too, a guy like Toney who I don't rate and won't be cheap at all.

Depends. PL survivial is worth £60mil to them. Keep toney get the goals, stay up and lose him on a free next summer when he's 29. Or sell him and go down?

Would take him on a free next summer too

Seen some talk on twitter from opinion accounts that suggest going big into the defender/striker market sounds like we're going for 3 at the back and two up front. I dont know how that would even work. Garnacho as a wingback? Where's Bruno going?

Agreed, but none of this explains why Luger didn't get the strap from Yokozuna at SummerSlam '93, though.

Seen this suggested, in what we might be going for. Two creative midfielders, protected by three proper centre halfs, with two wing backs providing the width, and two up front with Garnacho getting in and around them. This seems to make the most sense with the lack of midfield targets.

------------------------------------Onana-----------------------------------------

---------------------Yoro-----Martinez-------De Ligt----------------

Dalot----------------------------------------------------------------------Shaw

-------------------------Mainoo-------Bruno----------------------------------

----------------------------------Garnacho--------------------------------

----------------------------------Toney------Hojlund/Zirkzee-----------

Seen this suggested, in what we might be going for. Two creative midfielders, protected by three proper centre halfs, with two wing backs providing the width, and two up front with Garnacho getting in and around them. This seems to make the most sense with the lack of midfield targets.

------------------------------------Onana-----------------------------------------

See. With the players we’re being linked to, I actually think 352 is also on the cards.

The one person who really suffers here is Garnacho. For the rest of the side, I can see it working

Highly doubtful with lack of wingbacks but multiple wingers.

Because WrestleMania was at the Garden, sir. Its where all the great babyfaces are crowned.
Because Bret Hart was far superior, obviously.

:lol: Two quick-time replies. Wasn't expecting that.

Luger got well and truly fecked. From Narcissist heel to All-America, Red, White and Blue patriot with cringey bus-tour gimmick in a couple of weeks, not to mention that white-meat Duggan-esque entrance music. A count-out win followed by the entire lockerroom coming out to celebrate Luger not winning the belt..............was (ugh) inspired stuff. It's really not on Luger..........and most certainly not on Ivan Toney.

We have added Zirkzee as another striker. I really don't think we need 3 strikers when we play with 1 striker formation. I think when Sancho and Greenwood leave another wide forward in the mould of Rashford who can also play as a striker will be brought in rather than us signing another out and out striker. And that too, a guy like Toney who I don't rate and won't be cheap at all.

We need another proper number 9 to lead the line - especially one with experience. Zirkzee seems a very different type of forward compared to Toney/Hojlund and could play more as a second striker for us.

We need another proper number 9 to lead the line - especially one with experience. Zirkzee seems a very different type of forward compared to Toney/Hojlund and could play more as a second striker for us.

Yep. Not to mention he will probably need time to settle. Three strikers is really no big deal when two are still in their early 20s and yet to properly prove themselves.

I don't know what to think anymore. Let the chips land and see the thinking when the season starts.

I can't imagine us fitting in Zirkzee, Hojlund and Toney in a single striker line up not to mention Sancho is back and we seemingly have a glut of wide players now.

4-4-2? No space for Bruno in the side.

5-3-2? What do you do with all the wingers? And not a single capable wing back.

4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 - why do you need 3 strikers?

The only plausible theory is Hojlund gets put in at RW. We want a false 9 as the CF and Toney and Zirkzee rotate.

Toney is going to go to West Ham or someone like that, we won’t be signing him. We play with one striker so it’s not a priority to have 3 given all the other issues with the squad.

I can see the argument, but it doesn’t make sense. It would be better to sell and buy a replacement and invest in the squad rather than not have the money and lose the player in 10 months time.

It would be tremendously short-sighted for a club of their size to say no to that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.