Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah with little to no impact. Don't think he has any midfield qualities really. He can carry the ball and has some vision on him, but he's been a striker his entire youth career. A striker that relied an awful lot on his physicality, when that didn'nt work he has focused a lot more on his touch, dribbling which has really helped him in the last years.

It's a bit like playing Isak as a #10 though. Don't think that would work at all.

He played about 10 mins?

Anyway:

Bologna chief (Di Vaio) about Zirkzee recently: "Joshua is a nine-and-a-half [a cross between a striker and a PLAYMAKER], yes, but he doesn’t resemble anyone, "He’s a unique player."

He has also operated in the 10 before, hes more similar to Martial/Firminho than Isak

Hes a great striker but pretty poor off the ball, if we want to ever up our pressing game, we cant be identifying players like Toney, unless we plan to use him as a supersub, which should be the case in our best years. Pretty expensive supersub nevertheless.

He played about 10 mins?

Anyway:

Bologna chief (Di Vaio) about Zirkzee recently: "Joshua is a nine-and-a-half [a cross between a striker and a PLAYMAKER], yes, but he doesn’t resemble anyone, "He’s a unique player."

He has also operated in the 10 before, hes more similar to Martial/Firminho than Isak
Sure, but the fact that he was posted there for 10 mins also doesn't say anything. It's like van Dijk playing as a striker when the Netherlands is chasing a goal in the last minutes.

I agree with the 9.5, but not a number 10. If you play him as a number 10, you are playing a two-man midfield which close to no teams in the Premier League do. It's suicide.

Sure, but the fact that he was posted there for 10 mins also doesn't say anything. It's like van Dijk playing as a striker when the Netherlands is chasing a goal in the last minutes.

I agree with the 9.5, but not a number 10. If you play him as a number 10, you are playing a two-man midfield which close to no teams in the Premier League do. It's suicide.

We did it with Weghorst 2 seasons back and it worked well

We did it with Weghorst 2 seasons back and it worked well
Did it? That was the 2nd half of the season where we mostly played some of our worst stuff.

He started one match as an AM on transfermarkt, but Bruno was listed as RAM so we still had 3 midfielders on the pitch.

Did it? That was the 2nd half of the season where we mostly played some of our worst stuff.

He started one match as an AM on transfermarkt, but Bruno was listed as RAM so we still had 3 midfielders on the pitch.

We know he started more

Was more just trying to point out we had a manager who did it plenty of times and would probably have adapted to sign players the way Liverpool did under Klopp.

As I alluded to earlier anyway, we are in the process of shifting three attacking players who contributed nothing last season (Greenwood, Sancho and Martial) and replacing them with potentially Zirkzee and say, Toney. That's not bad and more how we should be looking at things, considering how things were last year with those players and how badly we suffered scoring goals.

I also think Sir Alex would still have had at least 3, one established and 2 younger fighting for the chance. But that's just me.
We definitely need at least 2 per position yeah. So that’s 6 contributing attackers. Only concern obviously would be to get the balance right so that they all complement one another etc.

This is a bit of a chicken or egg situation, though, so it can be looked at in different ways. He has never had the quality of squad to rotate reliably, so he has been forced to play the same team/players (add injuries, too). There's no guarantee that he doesn't want to rotate at times if he has access to better options.

I don't necessarily agree with that though. He had Amad, just for one example, sat waiting most of last season. He had ample opportunity to give Bayindir game time last season but chose to rush Onana back to play lower league opposition. I could go on. He was known for being this way at Ajax and this was some of the beef their fans had with him in the end too.

I don't get this. Hopefully they focus on more pressing needs first. Isn't Amad getting more minutes the replacement for Greenwood anyway?

I don't necessarily agree with that though. He had Amad, just for one example, sat waiting most of last season. He had ample opportunity to give Bayindir game time last season but chose to rush Onana back to play lower league opposition. I could go on. He was known for being this way at Ajax and this was some of the beef their fans had with him in the end too.
I don't think there's really enough evidence either way since he's been Manchester Utd manager, and the examples given are hardly conclusive. Amad was injured half the season and then introduced slowly. Despite the popular narrative on here, I think he was handled okay overall and started to feature much more regularly at the end of the season. Bayindir is an average second-choice keeper who really is here as a last resort; it makes sense that when fit and available, Onana will always start. Garnacho, Rashford, Antony, Amad, Hojland have all rotated in and out at various points of the season and that was because they were the only positions we had fit and available players. I think with better options he would use his squad for more because we did see at various time ETH impact the game with subs.

I don't think there's really enough evidence either way since he's been Manchester Utd manager, and the examples given are hardly conclusive. Amad was injured half the season and then introduced slowly. Despite the popular narrative on here, I think he was handled okay overall and started to feature much more regularly at the end of the season. Bayindir is an average second-choice keeper who really is here as a last resort; it makes sense that when fit and available, Onana will always start. Garnacho, Rashford, Antony, Amad, Hojland have all rotated in and out at various points of the season and that was because they were the only positions we had fit and available players. I think with better options he would use his squad for more because we did see at various time ETH impact the game with subs.

There's plenty of evidence. He has been here 2 years and was at Ajax for 4 or 5 years? Ajax fans said all of this when we signed him. It was a major point of frustration in his first season here too.

The plan seemed to be that we would buy a seasoned PL proven striker to support Hojlund. I think that’s still the plan but that Zirkzee being available at a relatively low price meant we went for him now too.

The fact is, neither Hojlund or Zirkzee will guarantee 20+ goals next season. They have potential for sure but if Zirkzee follows Hojlund’s pattern for his first season (which would be perfectly normal for a young striker in a new faster paced league) we’d be in poor shape goals wise.

We’ll have enough game time for all three, especially with EL games on Thursday nights.

All that being said, I imagine Toney will cost 70mil plus and therefore I’d be surprised if he was who we bought.

Yeah I completely agree, think Zirkzee is more of an opportunity that came up. Still hoping we can sell Greenwood and Sancho to get him if price is around £40m plus addons

Id prefer solanke. Would be half the price & less of a penalty taker.

Id prefer solanke. Would be half the price & less of a penalty taker.
So Toney is supposedly going for £70m. So that means Solanke is going for £35m? The same price we paid for Big Z? For a player who had his best ever season, is Bournemouth’s best player and is English.

So Toney is supposedly going for £70m. So that means Solanke is going for £35m? The same price we paid for Big Z? For a player who had his best ever season, is Bournemouth’s best player and is English.

I think Solanke won't attract many offers compared to Toney.

I feel like if we make a 40 mil + add ons offers then Solanke himself will push at the chance for playing for us & pushing Bournemouth for the deal.

Toney i feel would be targeted by more clubs.

The plan seemed to be that we would buy a seasoned PL proven striker to support Hojlund. I think that’s still the plan but that Zirkzee being available at a relatively low price meant we went for him now too.

The fact is, neither Hojlund or Zirkzee will guarantee 20+ goals next season. They have potential for sure but if Zirkzee follows Hojlund’s pattern for his first season (which would be perfectly normal for a young striker in a new faster paced league) we’d be in poor shape goals wise.

We’ll have enough game time for all three, especially with EL games on Thursday nights.

All that being said, I imagine Toney will cost 70mil plus and therefore I’d be surprised if he was who we bought.
Don't see Toney happening besides I think he would be too much of a primadonna wanting to start every game. I could see us taking Calvert Lewin who's 27 and has a year left on his contract so circa £30mil or under. Probably half of what Brentford would want for Toney.

Toney doesn't guarantee 20 goals either to be honest, especially if he's not on penalties.

Don't see Toney happening besides I think he would be too much of a primadonna wanting to start every game. I could see us taking Calvert Lewin who's 27 and has a year left on his contract so circa £30mil or under. Probably half of what Brentford would want for Toney.

Well we will see later in the window

I think Solanke won't attract many offers compared to Toney.

I feel like if we make a 40 mil + add ons offers then Solanke himself will push at the chance for playing for us & pushing Bournemouth for the deal.

Toney i feel would be targeted by more clubs.
Given the length of the contract, Bournemouth hold all the cards not Solanke. They can charge £80m if they want.

At least with Toney he is in his final contract meaning Brentford can’t play too much hardball cause they don’t want to lose him for free.

I don't think another striker is that much of importance right now - don't understand this interest. We have two now, which is enough.

Right winger(left footed) is what we lack the most in attack right now. But, I would leave that for next summer.

Should focus on fixing the defense and midfield as much as possible.

Toney is alright but he's had 1 good PL season. He's one of those player whose reputation is bigger than their performances. Watkins does it season after season, getting his team into the CL and he's still not looked at like Toney who takes a penalty without looking at the ball and gets national headlines for a week.

I don't think another striker is that much of importance right now - don't understand this interest. We have two now, which is enough.

Right winger(left footed) is what we lack the most in attack right now. But, I would leave that for next summer.

Should focus on fixing the defense and midfield as much as possible.
I would says it's actually massive we get a proven goalscorer as we don't have one in our squad. What we don't need is another winger who cuts inside and shoots all the time, we already have 100 of those.

Toney is alright but he's had 1 good PL season. He's one of those player whose reputation is bigger than their performances. Watkins does it season after season, getting his team into the CL and he's still not looked at like Toney who takes a penalty without looking at the ball and gets national headlines for a week.
Watkins isn't being looked at because his price will have sky rocketed, Villa are well off and there's every chance he wants to play CL football with the team he helped get there.

I have a funny feeling we will be playing two upfront a lot this season. With Ruud also coming in, I think the club is moving in that direction, let's get as many goals into the team and who better to coach a plethora of strikers than one of the greatest. I'm seeing a lot of 4-2-2-2 this year, Leipzig style and in big games play with 1 forward. Toney would be the starter and Hojlund learning from him. Zirkzee too but he can also play anywhere in the front line or support. It would give us so many options and this shows me, we aren't messing about this year.

Watkins isn't being looked at because his price will have sky rocketed, Villa are well off and there's every chance he wants to play CL football with the team he helped get there.
That's not what I am saying. I'm not saying we should consider Watkins to but, I'm speaking about the light they're spoken about. Toney is another player whose reputation has skyrocketed with only a short spell in the top division, whilst Watkins is often forgotten in conversations whilst he's done a lot more. I don't know what Toney has done to prove he'd be a good option for a top club as there isn't enough to judge by imo.

Think we might sign him. Very disappointed by that.
I wouldn't be disappointed at all, if he was a 90M young player whose best scoring season was 8 goals people would be all over him. He'd be a good rotation option and support for our younger forwards who clearly need experience around them. I wouldn't pay more than 25M for him though.

No way this is true (despite i would love to see him here).
No logic at all after signing Zirkzee.

Status
Not open for further replies.