Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

I'm also an Israeli, and hold much of the same opinions as @Amir does by the looks of it,
in a broad sense of course as we don't know each other.

I'm one of those who never watch the news, and vote for left-leaning parties because I was born in an environment that does so,
and I don't think much of anything on a daily basis.

there are probably many people like myself in every (western) country, who "don't care about politics".
It's quite a problematic stance and you can't not feel it in times like these.

I'm genuinely scared. I never thought that Israel might turn into some sort of dictatorship,
even with how the government treats non-Jews which was always bad enough to say the least.
there's still a very long way to go before we turn into a Turkey or Hungary, but who knows really.

I wonder whether a civil war is on the menu. and how will such a war look like in 2023?
Will people physically attack each other?
Almost happened outside the gate of the Kibbutz my parents live in,
a couple of days ago.

Shocked that Bibi did the thing that everyone knew he was going to when he backed down a few months ago. The protesters should never have given up their protests when Bibi announced the delay.

@2cents
Is this all stemming from Bibi's corruption charges? Or does the right have an issue with "woke judges" etc?

Shocked that Bibi did the thing that everyone knew he was going to when he backed down a few months ago. The protesters should never have given up their protests when Bibi announced the delay.

They didn't stop rhe protests. Granted, there weren't as many people there because many thought there was no immidiate danger, and the protests were not as forceful as before, but they did go on.

So what's the mood now in Israel? They're gonna let this slide?

It's mayhem right now, and those opposing it are in no mood to let it slide at all. The question is, what can be done about it. There were and are protests, strikes were declared in various occupations, many army officers declared they were no longer serve, but the first piece of legislation still went ahead

Clearly Netanyahu's allies want more, and don't care about the damage that it will cause as long as it will give them control.

it's particularly hilarious how silent the US is on the matter considering they love parroting the whole 'the only democracy in the Middle East' line.
Won't be that hillarious for the US if you look at Fertile Crescent Trends. The US has 350 million Arab/Persian/etc within the region, and a hardline Israel which is as autocratic within as it has been, for a while, without, is impossible to defend. That's why the NYT has turned its back on it, and also why the US regime can now be heard to criticise, albeit lowly, the Israeli state, not the nation, for the first time in basically forever. It's not the special state, re geopolitics, it was. Things have changed in that region and it's only going one way. Israel to North Korean status if it cannot sort itself out internally because the Arab Leage has basically shat colonialism out and is playing a very, very, rigid game between Russia, US, EU, and China. It isn't budging, or simply crumbling, as in the days of old. Its population, too large, too young, too well educated, and far too well-aware of their own importance (also armed to the teeth).

Think about it. US has Saudi/Egypt and a few others. More than happy (not publicly) to allow US to have arms/capacity here and there, and their populations are many times (as their economies) that of Israel. What do you do? If US state planner and see Israel going all anti-itself as well as anti-Arab League? You'd tell it to turn around or feck it off, like South Africa, in the long terms until it does. The US' position in that region is not decided by Israel any more. It's Turkey, Iraq, Saudi, Oman, Gulf, generally, Syria (accepted back into Arab League), Jordan, Iran, etc. Israel is alienating itself against the one state that has continuously used veto power to stop it from becoming a complete pariah.

When Thomas Friedman, if you know your Israel/Palestine politics, is saying "we can no longer pretend that Israel is not colonizing the West Bank", you know the US is altering its long, long, held policy toward that state (and because of that state, and no one else). The US told them not to do it. Literally. WB encroachment. It causes problems in the Arab world which is quick becoming the next most important bloc (Arab League) in the newly emerging world.

Last edited:
Means nothing. They should have threatened to suspend relations with Israel before the vote. Cheap talk was never going to stop these fascists.

The US would be fine if Israel turned fascist. They work with the Saudis just fine. Their support of Israel is about wanting a ME ally. The sh!te about the middle easts "only democracy" was never genuine and their determination to ignore legitimate criticism of Israel proves it.

@2cents
Is this all stemming from Bibi's corruption charges? Or does the right have an issue with "woke judges" etc?

It's a combination of things. Netanyahu's trial and never ending lies meant that many people in politics no longer wanted to work with him. He was left with only very certain parties and people to work with, and that is now his coalition. The only one he could form. Since he puts himself being PM ahead of anything else, and is also trying to find a way to end his trial, he is not really in control of his coalition - which is led by extremists in various fields. Those fields include the judicial system, as it's about the only thing that stands between the govenment and absolute power. The parliament is weak and serves the government more than supervise it or anything else.

How much of it is Netanyahu leading a move against the Judicial system (which is holding him to trial), and how much this is about him being pushed by his partners, who knows. But while all sides in his govenment have different interests, they would all be served by weakening the Judicial system. Of course they are blaming the judges for being lefties and activists who are regularly making rulings they have no right to make, but it's mostly lies fed to the public for years and years exactly for this moment. Unfortuantely, many believe it.

The US would be fine if Israel turned fascist. They work with the Saudis just fine. Their support of Israel is about wanting a ME ally. The sh!te about the middle easts "only democracy" was never genuine and their determination to ignore legitimate criticism of Israel proves it.

Unfortunately, it's true. They had a chance to actually do something here. They chose hollow words.

They didn't stop rhe protests. Granted, there weren't as many people there because many thought there was no immidiate danger, and the protests were not as forceful as before, but they did go on.

What I meant was that the huge crowds stopped protesting, the strikes were ended, and they became less threatening to the government. If they had actually gone through with the strike and brought the country to a halt, they very likely would've prevented this. I understand why most people went home, but it was quite evident this was Bibi's plan the whole time.

What I meant was that the huge crowds stopped protesting, the strikes were ended, and they became less threatening to the government. If they had actually gone through with the strike and brought the country to a halt, they very likely would've prevented this. I understand why most people went home, but it was quite evident this was Bibi's plan the whole time.

I don't think it would have prevented it. Actually, it might have alianted many in Israel. At the end of the day, people just want to live their lives in peace and quiet. And if the govenment was sitting still while the protests were causing all the chaos, the protesters would have been seen as the problem.

Yes, it was always likely Netanyahu was going to do what he eventually did. Unfortunately, there was no real way of stopping it once he won the election.

Yep, further radicalize a fairy tale to even up with the other fairy tale's radical faction. That's the ticket...

Yep, further radicalize a fairy tale to even up with the other fairy tale's radical faction. That's the ticket...

the Yeshiva students who don't want to join the army don't get recruited.
That it may be an actual law has more symbolic than practical meaning.

the Yeshiva students who don't want to join the army don't get recruited.
That it may be an actual law has more symbolic than practical meaning.

It will make it legal and finite, though, when in recent years it's been in limbo with some sides of the policital map calling to change it.

If it smells like apartheid, and it looks like apartheid…

It's f*cking amazing to me how much influence Israel and Zionists have over western governments that they will vehemently fight back any notion that Israel has an apartheid over Palestine. And if you try to mention this you are labeled an anti-semit

It's genuinely amazing how blind Israeli Jews are to the similarities between the defining events of their ethnic past, and what is happening in their own country. The mental gymnastics are at Olympic levels.

It's genuinely amazing how blind Israeli Jews are to the similarities between the defining events of their ethnic past, and what is happening in their own country. The mental gymnastics are at Olympic levels.

As a 44-year Israeli, I don't understand it either. :(

I should of course not generalise, and say that not every person is this way.

I didn't take offence or anything. I am just frustrated with the blindness - and in other cases, utter ugliness - of my fellow citizens.

And it is getting worse.

Palestinian fears grow amid rising Israeli settler attacks

There's been a dramatic rise in violence carried out by extremist Israeli settlers against Palestinian civilians in the occupied West Bank this year, with more than 100 incidents reported a month according to the UN. It warns that some 400 people have been driven from their land since the start of 2022.
Smashed cars and homes and shops set ablaze. Recent months have seen some of the worst ever scenes of settler violence in the occupied West Bank.
Some have turned deadly.
Posters in remembrance of 19-year-old Qusai Maatan, showing him astride his white Arabian horse, now surround a small roundabout in the village of Burqa, set among olive trees in the rolling hills north-east of Ramallah.
"He had a deeply caring nature. He'd always greet me warmly and check on me in a thoughtful way," says his grandfather, Abdul Moneim Maatan, his voice cracking. "His absence leaves a huge void."
On the evening Qusai was shot dead by an armed settler, his family say he had gone for a picnic with friends at the edge of the village. Locals describe how a confrontation with radical Israelis living nearby escalated quickly. Stones were thrown and at least one settler opened fire. In an unusually strong rebuke, Israel's closest ally, the US, described what happened here as "Jewish terrorism".

"Our vision is that all of the land of Israel will be settled with Jews. It's our basic right. Our right is in the Bible," says Yehuda Lieber, a 26-year-old father of two. He is encouraged by the fact that some of those in government share his ideology and believes that eventually Israel will retroactively authorise his outpost.
"We have an expectation from the government that was elected by right-wing votes to settle the land, expand the settlements, and not hurt them," he says.
With a series of new outposts recently set up, he tells me the settlers' strategy is to block Palestinian statehood. Creating an independent Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza, with East Jerusalem as its capital, is a long-time goal of the internationally backed two-state solution to end the decades-old Israel-Palestinian conflict.
"What we're doing here and in other places that exist is to halt the establishment of the Palestinian state, which is being built in practice without asking anyone," Mr Lieber says.

Palestinian fears grow amid rising Israeli settler attacks - BBC News

According to Reuters the clashes started during rival protests between supporters and opponents of the Eritrean government:

“More than 100 people were injured in violent clashes in Tel Aviv between Eritrean government supporters celebrating an Eritrea Day event and opponents of President Isaias Afwerki.

Israeli police fired stun grenades to break up the clashes, while some protesters hurled stones at police and set fire to trash bins, Reuters journalists at the scene said. Footage on social media showed Eritrean government supporters beating anti-government protesters with clubs.”

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...injured-eritrean-clashes-tel-aviv-2023-09-02/

In case it gets deleted

From : @HonestReporting Exposing anti-Israel media bias. RTs, follows ≠ endorsement.

Tweet:
The @nytimes emotively captions this photo: "A diary left behind by a child in an abandoned Palestinian village." We asked a native Arabic speaker to take a look. The writing is actually that of a teenager in love, not a child. This is a deliberate misuse of a photo caption in order to create a false association with alleged Israeli mistreatment of Palestinian children.