Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

I was enjoying Aegon's acting this season until he got roasted. Sort of like how I couldn't stand Joffrey before he grew on me. But the post-fire persona is (understandably) stiffling him.

Holy shit, that was the finale?? I assumed it was setting it up for the next two.

It’s a good series but they’ve really dragged it out this season. Constantly making you think it’s about to go off before giving more of the same. No doubt E1 of next season will follow the same formula.

Soooo...

- Daemon's character arc this season was ending up right where he started, supporting Rhaenyra.
- There was some super needless tie-in to Game of Thrones with the Daenerys and Night King vision.
- They turned Ulf from lovable idiot to utter cnut in one episode.
- We spent waaay to long with Tyland Lannister and his mud-fighting / wife impregnation adventures.
- One of those sisters just ran around the wilderness looking for a dragon.
- Apparently Otto is captured somewhere? What?
- The big climax was a conversation between two former BFFs that grew apart after having kids.

On the whole this season has been a bit naff. Still enjoy the characters and production value, but the plot is meandering. I still think the most suspenseful scenes in the season was the Blood and Cheese sequence in the first episode, although book readers might disagree.

just finished it. like I've said about a month ago, the season peaked in third episode. the dragon battle and those twins fighting in the castle (E1 or E2, I don't remember) were the best parts and everything else after that felt a little bit underwhelming. then we got some dragons again but everything calmed down soon with another filler.

in reality, this last episode was the one that should be followed by 9. and then the 10., the final and mother of all episodes. for some reason (budget perhaps?), someone decided that was it. there was about 25 minutes of real plot in these 70 minutes of the final and like everyone is saying, it just doesn't feel like a final although there's nothing wrong with the episode itself.

S1 ended in such way that everyone still remembered it by the time S2 came out, but it won't be nearly the same when we finally get the S3 in two years.

Soooo...

- Daemon's character arc this season was ending up right where he started, supporting Rhaenyra.
- There was some super needless tie-in to Game of Thrones with the Daenerys and Night King vision.
- We spent waaay to long with Tyland Lannister and his mud-fighting / wife impregnation adventures.
- The big climax was a conversation between two former BFFs that grew apart after having kids.

On the whole this season has been a bit naff. Still enjoy the characters and production value, but the plot is meandering. I still think the most suspenseful scenes in the season was the Blood and Cheese sequence in the first episode, although book readers might disagree.
Summed it up pretty well.
My only hope now is that Rings of Power S2 will be much improved (based on trailer and leaks at least it sounds like it could be). Otherwise looking a bit bleak for fantasy. The Witcher? Bahaha.

That was pretty underwhelming. All set up really. The problem was that the first season was all set up for this season where we were meant to get pay off but instead got … more set up.

It is amazing how little some of these characters seem to care about their kids being slaughtered.

It's good, the problem is how ridiculously needlessly they are dragging it out, and I mean in terms of real life time. I would enjoy the filler just fine if it didn't mean they were dragging it out over 6 fecking years. How many of us are going to be dead by then?

Did Alicent offer to kill Aemond?

Very disappointing finale with some panto level acting. Pirate Mud Wrestler the worst culprit. Seriously, wtf was that character?
Didn't think it was that bad, just your typical tough 'make you prove yourself first' type of character, although her thirst for the guy was fairly obvious from the start

Did that dragon cough up a body towards the end? :eek:
Was a sheep wasn't it?
Did Alicent offer to kill Aemond?
Didn't hear that. She ultimately accepted that Aegon would have to go although I think she accepts that Aemond is also a goner with Cole. She basically bartered for her life and Helena's. Moot point now anyway that he's fled KL.

Didn't think it was that bad, just your typical tough 'make you prove yourself first' type of character, although her thirst for the guy was fairly obvious from the start

I thought the scenes with her and the Lannister guy were on a par with the Sandsnake stuff from GoT. Just risible guff.

Did anyone understand how Alicents brother figured out she was sleeping with Criston Cole?

When did Otto get imprisoned?
Shortly after leaving King's Landing, one would presume. They haven't showed it but they've strongly hinted at it as he had disappeared from the face of the Earth (and Alicent complained about it to her brother, not being sure if something had happened or he simply was ignoring her and the capital).

Did anyone understand how Alicents brother figured out she was sleeping with Criston Cole?
He saw him holding her handkerchief... he was also shown to have noticed their weird interactions in the castle's courtyard before leaving and possibly heard some things before finally adding the two and two together.

He probably knew for a long time but Cole getting emotional over the handkerchief out in the open forced him to react.

Was that literally just it? The brother recognized that piece of cloth and deemed it sufficient evidence to make a death threat?
I think he had a suspicion ever since he came to Kings landing and she was with her everytime they left to go to war. Him sniffing the hankie prolly confirmed it.

I’ve enjoyed it overall but it has been a slow burner, setting up for total war in S3.

I would love to slap Ulf or whatever his name is. I find him irritating like jar jar binks irritating

That's a very good question.

Gotta be someone who's not really has much, if any screentime.

Baratheon?

Not seen any greyjoys yet I believe.
Who stands to gain from taking a Hightower? Baratheons are allies aren’t they with Aemond bringing them a wedding proposal in season 1?

Don’t see the Starks getting involved nor Harrenhall/Riverrun. Targaryens don’t care about him. Who else is left?

I think he had a suspicion ever since he came to Kings landing and she was with her everytime they left to go to war. Him sniffing the hankie prolly confirmed it.
I guess I will allow it, since he is also meant to be celibate. But seems like the whole army knows now. That can’t be good.

I guess I will allow it, since he is also meant to be celibate. But seems like the whole army knows now. That can’t be good.
Cole killed a dragon which is considered sacred and paraded it on the streets. If they didn’t care about that don’t really think they would care about him sleeping with the ex Queen regent.

Cole killed a dragon which is considered sacred and paraded it on the streets. If they didn’t care about that don’t really think they would care about him sleeping with the ex Queen regent.
But the information will spread to Aemond as well, surely. Maybe Cole is too much of a military asset to execute for sleeping with his mother though.

But the information will spread to Aemond as well, surely. Maybe Cole is too much of a military asset to execute for sleeping with his mother though.
Maybe on some level he knows too? I mean Otto knew they were sleeping together. Also Cole needs to first survive this upcoming war before he returns to KL.

Any chance Daemon becomes the three eyed raven?
I suppose I shouldn't ask as it could become book talk, but that whole scene to me felt like there is some easter egg in it.

Who stands to gain from taking a Hightower? Baratheons are allies aren’t they with Aemond bringing them a wedding proposal in season 1?

Don’t see the Starks getting involved nor Harrenhall/Riverrun. Targaryens don’t care about him. Who else is left?
Gotta be someone using him for a bargaining chip.

Rhaenyra doesn't know, so I doubt its anyone officially affiliated with team black. It's gotta be someone fairly neutral.

That said, maybe creepy feet dude. I feel like Aemond requested Otto to be his hand a few episodes back and that got swept under the carpet. Larys wanted it, and didn't get it. So he's hiding Otto away until he does?

Soooo...

I'm ok with the mud fighting / wife impregnation adventures. Some goofy humour to break things up would be welcome enough even if the execution was just ok. Its a bit of a strange show in pacing. Felt quite rushed and like little happened or was established with side characters and glacial and excessive with Rhaenyra, Alicent and Daemon.

He didn't, Aemond did? Well, Vhagar did if we want to be precise.

And I don't think dragons are necessarily sacred outside of, say, that weird cult that Rhaenyra has in her basement. They're very much feared and are thought of as gods mostly as they are the god-like beings of that universe but general folk seems to dislike them for the amount of trouble that they bring in (mostly by decimating their livestock). And yes, I remember the "I thought dragons were gods" remark from the crowd when they were parading one's corpse through the streets but I don't think that we need to take it so literally.

Got to be one of the most underwhelming second seasons i can ever remember. Aside from the dragon fighting scene where King Aegon got BBQ'd the rest of the show was atrociously boring. Daemon, this new woman pirate character, Alicent is boring, the new dragon riders are boring. Its light years away from GoT.