Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

I'm assuming its 3 seasons (10 eps) worth of story that they're trying to stretch out to 4 seasons. It explains why there are a few recycled story bits like the Harrenhall dream sequences and the Alicent/Rhaenerya meetings. They probably don't want that long gap like there was between GOT and season 1 of HotD, and 'Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' probably isn't ready for a few years still
I thought the Knight of the Seven Kingdoms was releasing next year on HBO?

The best and most detailed trailer I have ever seen. But as a season finale, I must say it was quite poor.

It was hinted at, so it was far from random. He disappeared mid season, no one knew where he was and Alicent wondered why he wasn't replying to her.
But why? Aegon removed him from Hand, and then he was supposed to have gone to Oldtown, where his brother is the Lord of Hightowers (not a Paramount family, but probably more powerful than most if not all Lord Paramounts).

And now we see him in prison. Doesn't make sense considering that he is one of the most powerful people in the kingdom (3-4 decades as Hand to 3 kings, and being brother to one of the most powerful Lords in the kingdom).

But why? Aegon removed him from Hand, and then he was supposed to have gone to Oldtown, where his brother is the Lord of Hightowers (not a Paramount family, but probably more powerful than most if not all Lord Paramounts).

And now we see him in prison. Doesn't make sense considering that he is one of the most powerful people in the kingdom (3-4 decades as Hand to 3 kings, and being brother to one of the most powerful Lords in the kingdom).
You seem to imply that he was imprisoned by Aegon/Aemond? At least that's how your message reads to me. Which doesn't seem to be the case. It's also not Raenyra, otherwise we would've known it by now.

There's clearly some shenanigans going on between different families behind the scenes that don't involve the main rival factions. Perhaps whoever ruled Oldtown wasn't too eager to give up his power? Or some neighbouring family that tries to secure their claim on the region... or some bandits that had kidnapped him for a ransom (not that likely as they would've asked for something by know). There can be tons of viable explanations.

Anyway, this seems like a weird critique to me. It didn't happen in a vacuum — they've set it up and then followed through, showing that he was, indeed, in trouble. They didn't want to pursue that story in that season but also didn't want to leave that set up (Alicent being worried) hanging before the break as everyone would surely forget about it. So they've shown that he is alive and in trouble as one of the cliff-hangers that would keep people interested in the upcoming season.

The only critique I have with the imprisoned father is surely wouldn't his absence be noted? So how has it not come to the attention of Ailcent by now?

The only critique I have with the imprisoned father is surely wouldn't his absence be noted? So how has it not come to the attention of Ailcent by now?
Yeah that's the point I was making earlier how ridiculous it is when you think about it.

The idea that Larys has something to do with the imprisonment makes most sense at this pt as others have pointed out. Dont forget he was tasked with locating Otto.

At the same time it could be a bit of a nice surprise if the whole thing was actually not what it appeared and that maybe Otto is having himself smuggled into King's Landing or maybe even Dragonstone - not unlike Aegon and Larys are doing in the opposite direction. Thinking about it - it would seem a lot more logical he wasn't caught. He still is the Lord of one of the most powerful houses in existence at that point in time and him getting captured surely would have been big news. It would make Alicent being a bit more meek about it seem a *wee* bit more logical.

Last edited:
You seem to imply that he was imprisoned by Aegon/Aemond? At least that's how your message reads to me. Which doesn't seem to be the case. It's also not Raenyra, otherwise we would've known it by now.

There's clearly some shenanigans going on between different families behind the scenes that don't involve the main rival factions. Perhaps whoever ruled Oldtown wasn't too eager to give up his power? Or some neighbouring family that tries to secure their claim on the region... or some bandits that had kidnapped him for a ransom (not that likely as they would've asked for something by know). There can be tons of viable explanations.

Anyway, this seems like a weird critique to me. It didn't happen in a vacuum — they've set it up and then followed through, showing that he was, indeed, in trouble. They didn't want to pursue that story in that season but also didn't want to leave that set up (Alicent being worried) hanging before the break as everyone would surely forget about it. So they've shown that he is alive and in trouble as one of the cliff-hangers that would keep people interested in the upcoming season.
It is his brother, right? We saw him briefly in season 1 (when young Alicent wore the green dress). I do not see him jailing his brother.

Rhaenyra and Aegon does not make sense. Aemond IIRC wanted Otto back, so again does not make sense. And some random bandits kidnapping him on his way to Oldtown (or Oldtown to KL) makes sense, but dunno what it adds to the story. Is it just to keep the only good strategist of the greens out of the game?

I only just realised that the guy from Gimme Gimme Gimme, Thin Blue Line, Nottingham Hill (James Dreyfus) is in this series and its blown my mind. Didn't recognise him at all.

They've had a season of set up to make me care about whats happening to Otto. If it doesn't warrant more than 5 seconds screen time then i don't care. Not impressed with the end of this season due to things like that.

They've had a season of set up to make me care about whats happening to Otto. If it doesn't warrant more than 5 seconds screen time then i don't care. Not impressed with the end of this season due to things like that.
His lack of screen time to me was clearly a detriment to the show. Arguably the most intriguing character - or at least the only one who truly feels like he is wouldn't have been out of sorts when Game of Thrones was at its best. A bit of a Tywin Lannister but with actually love for his family. I had some initial hope the current Lannister would be able to fill that role a bit but after the mud wrestling scenes he now comes across as a bit of a doofus.

His lack of screen time to me was clearly a detriment to the show. Arguably the most intriguing character - or at least the only one who truly feels like he is wouldn't have been out of sorts when Game of Thrones was at its best. A bit of a Tywin Lannister but with actually love for his family. I had some initial hope the current Lannister would be able to fill that role a bit but after the mud wrestling scenes he now comes across as a bit of a doofus.
Meh. Its not the character. We've had a season and a half of setting up storyline. They need to conclude and tie up some parts at this point. Starting up new storylines past that point would be all welcome and good but at this point i dont care about new stories about these characters, I'm a bit bored of the one they're half way through.

It is his brother, right? We saw him briefly in season 1 (when young Alicent wore the green dress). I do not see him jailing his brother.

Rhaenyra and Aegon does not make sense. Aemond IIRC wanted Otto back, so again does not make sense. And some random bandits kidnapping him on his way to Oldtown (or Oldtown to KL) makes sense, but dunno what it adds to the story. Is it just to keep the only good strategist of the greens out of the game?
I just find it weird to criticize something when we haven't seen showrunner's explanation yet. If they'll come up with some weird story about his imprisonment that doesn't make much sense or feels too deus ex machina-esque, which is entirely possible — sure. But to criticize something for not making much sense when they've consciously haven't explained what happened yet and there are tons of possible (and very valid) explanations seems odd to me. Especially since the show's writing has been a bit questionable and there are so many things that you can actually criticize them for (like that entire Harrenhal storyline).

It's like criticizing a Sherlock Holmes novel for not explaining every detail about the murder straight away.

So you didn't get that vibe when he was being angry at the child playing with the ball at the table in episode 1?

It makes no sense if Ailcent herself imprisoned her own father though and gave him over to Rhaenrya? (sp). As she'd had to have him imprisoned ages ago and why would she do that anyway? There's zero benefit, her house was stronger with him in charge and as soon as he was no longer made hand, things spiralled out of control. If the idea is that he is used as a bargaining chip, then why would she also then sacrfice all of her sons as well? The entire conversation her and Ailcent had wouldn't make sense either as she had already made concessions in a bid for peace. Giving up her father and then giving valuable intel on what Aemond was going to do next.
Otto isn't in charge of their house.
But there have been other comments made by Alicent in the scenes about her father since he went away. I think that's what the poster meant.

So you didn't get that vibe when he was being angry at the child playing with the ball at the table in episode 1?
Yeah he never came across as a very strong character while at the council meetings etc but part of me held out some hope he was just being a typical scheming Lannister. You know ..someone with some depth. But I guess not.

Finally got round to the season finale.

Massive disappointment from my perspective.

The acting was atrocious pretty much throughout. Some genuinely laughable moments.

Whist the story has progressed this year, the whole show just feels like a tease and a mess.

The change of cast in the first season was hard to follow.

The delay to the second season combined with the re-use of character names makes it hard to follow.

After season 1 it felt like the scene was set and things were really going to kick on.

Now, we’re a whole season further and I feel exactly the same way.

And it’s not a pacing issue - some of the better seasons of GoT were slow and simmering.

Sadly, it’s just dull for 80% of the time, with the odd exhilarating moment to keep you just interested enough

They have fecked the show by making it so Alicent/Rhaenarya focused while also removing all the interesting parts of their characters. GOT was vastly, overwhelmingly superior at showing women existing in a patriarchy while also finding ways to exert power and influence, Cersei, Catelyn. Olenna, Danaerys, Melisandre, Margaery wipe the floor with the HOTD women, they were allowed to get angry and want vengeance, to be vicious.

Shitty writing.

what is often forgotten here is that it's actually possible to work with these characters and make interesting episodes with them. S1 wasn't like this. it had less dragons and they weren't in war, yet it felt way bigger even while simply trying to set things up for the future.

the issue isn't that it's not prime GoT, the issue is that it's not good as S1. you can easily work with these characters, but they just watered down everything for some reason.

I was a tad disappointed with the season finale but sets up nicely for S3.

Any confirmation as to how many episodes there are going to be for the next season? Hoping for 10 like the first season.

There's a lot of baffling decisions and wonky details in the series that when made right would have made it a lot easier to watch.

Like in the season finale we had a cheesy mud fighting white teethed pirate captain and usually cocky and deceiving Lannister made to be an unsure eye blinking comic relief. Also why would Rhaena run to the mountains after a dragon without any equipment at all. No food, outdoor clothing etc.

Nothing major but when these occur time after time it gets really burdensome.

I was a tad disappointed with the season finale but sets up nicely for S3.

Any confirmation as to how many episodes there are going to be for the next season? Hoping for 10 like the first season.
I'd hope for 10 if the season needs it. They had 8 this time around and I don't think they had enough story for 8 hour long episodes

It's beyond stupid that Alicent would just offer herself up like that, it's the dumbest move someone could make. She then doubles down and offers up her son's heads. Is she mentally deranged?

If next season opens with Alicent safely back home with no consequences honestly I'll be pissed.

It's beyond stupid that Alicent would just offer herself up like that, it's the dumbest move someone could make. She then doubles down and offers up her son's heads. Is she mentally deranged?

If next season opens with Alicent safely back home with no consequences honestly I'll be pissed.
No worries, she ll make another soul searching hike first, splash around in some more water, and THEN she ll be safely back home.

I think people underestimate the quality generally on display. The 'look' of the show is absolutely incredible, from sets, cg, costumes and so forth. It's like a huge-budget film, every episode. That side of things is amazing imo.

With notable exceptions, the acting is also brilliant. I think Alicent/Rhaenyra are doing superb work, as are the vast majority of side characters.

The biggest miss is the writing, which is just infuriating inconsistent. Sometimes it's genuinely good. But then it can also be incredibly stupid, and the contrast is what I think gets people so riled. Like the Cole discussion in the finale - it's actually really well written, shot and acted. But it makes no sense, leads to nothing and is randomly placed in the episode/season. Or this whole Lannister finds a pirate sub-plot. We didn't need that. If a bunch of (cg) ships had shown up next season and they'd had a throwaway line like 'turns out you can buy anything with Lannister gold' in the small council, the audience would be happy. Instead this jarring, long part of the season finale is spent in Legend-of-Hercules levels of schlock. It's just weird.

As everyone is saying, it screams of HBO need 4 seasons, sttrreeeeetttccchhh it out.

Yeah, it's super dumb. If Rhaenyra was really interested in winning the war, she captures Alicent and has an important bargaining chip. The showrunners are trying to boil it down to these two women 'working it out', which is ludicrous after assassination attempts and murdered children.

I also don't really like that Alicent has realized her mistake. The misunderstanding about Viserys' final words was inconsequential anyway, because Otto would have made his move regardless. Rhaenyra and Alicent arguably shouldn't have met at all this season.

Yeah, it's super dumb. If Rhaenyra was really interested in winning the war, she captures Alicent and has an important bargaining chip. The showrunners are trying to boil it down to these two women 'working it out', which is ludicrous after assassination attempts and murdered children.

I also don't really like that Alicent has realized her mistake. The misunderstanding about Viserys' final words was inconsequential anyway, because Otto would have made his move regardless. Rhaenyra and Alicent arguably shouldn't have met at all this season.
Yeah... I get that it is a fantasy show and you should leave reality at the door but this amounts to poor writing and reduces the quality of the show. It's like something out of GOT season 8... makes me feel like writers agendas and fantasies are creeping into the show. This shouldn't be happening because the major events are already written. This season has just felt like a huge let down. It's a shame because I really enjoyed season 1.

The breadth of the story and depth of its characters leaves a lot to be desired. However one does wonder if there's a small part of folks feeling unfulfilled as compared to GOT because they underestimate how much the shock of gratuitous romping and nudity (or gore and violence to be fair) subconsciously elevates the perception of a show!

On an even lighter, sillier note: What's better to make you feel like you know a character than understanding their dark, sordid kinks (looking at you Larys! :lol: )

Link.
I’m pretty sure that when she says, “I want you to feck my wives,” I think she’s gonna be involved in that. I don’t think she’s going to be like outside while that’s happening. I think it’s a “Come feck my wives with me,” you know?

I asked Geeta and Sara, I was like, “These wives, they are here consensually, right?” And they were like, “Yes, don’t worry. That’s part of it.” And I was like, “Great, okay, good.” That’s important. Just good to know. Good to clarify that.
Super relieved to learn that the imaginary wives that weren't shown on screen were fecked by Tyland consensually. Phew.

I think people underestimate the quality generally on display. The 'look' of the show is absolutely incredible, from sets, cg, costumes and so forth. It's like a huge-budget film, every episode. That side of things is amazing imo.

With notable exceptions, the acting is also brilliant. I think Alicent/Rhaenyra are doing superb work, as are the vast majority of side characters.

The biggest miss is the writing, which is just infuriating inconsistent. Sometimes it's genuinely good. But then it can also be incredibly stupid, and the contrast is what I think gets people so riled. Like the Cole discussion in the finale - it's actually really well written, shot and acted. But it makes no sense, leads to nothing and is randomly placed in the episode/season. Or this whole Lannister finds a pirate sub-plot. We didn't need that. If a bunch of (cg) ships had shown up next season and they'd had a throwaway line like 'turns out you can buy anything with Lannister gold' in the small council, the audience would be happy. Instead this jarring, long part of the season finale is spent in Legend-of-Hercules levels of schlock. It's just weird.

As everyone is saying, it screams of HBO need 4 seasons, sttrreeeeetttccchhh it out

Yeah I genuinely rewound this part because the scene was so good. I think it helped to crystalize a theme in this season that basically consists of "all the human machinations don't really matter because dragons" - I liked this scene for the same reason I liked seeing the King's Landing populace react to a dragon head being towed through the streets. It all leads to a conclusion that humans are better off if dragons don't exist. I don't actually know whether the showrunners intend this as a theme, but it's there for me regardless and it's a point of interest that keeps me watching.

Also agreed that the show mostly looks fantastic, and thankfully not as polished and clean as Rings of Power or a lot of the other contemporary dross.

That sea captain mudfighting with the Lannister was beyond laughable. How characters like that get through focus screening and such I'll never know.

Been getting random GoT clips in my Youtube feed for the last few days.

Even the less memorable, more random ones such as those carry so much more weight in their conversations/dialogue than HotD does.

HotD is good but I watch clips like the above and then I think it's not fit to lace peak GoT's boots.