Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

Agreed. Emma d’Arcy is the one holding it all together at the moment.

I’m quite surprised at how poor the casting has been in this show. They did a much better job with that in GoT. Of course it helped that the source material was better (in the early seasons), so the actors had more to work with, but some of the actors in this are just average at best.

GOT got everyone but Jon spot on. Or perhaps that was down to his portrayal in the show. Despite the "You know nothing Jon Snow" he was considered more intelligent than the rest of the boys which isn't surprising considering Rhaegar was considered a genius. In the tv show he's your typical heart of gold but shit for brains hero.

Anyone who expected a lot to happen must have forgotten that in GoT, half the season budget was spent on the penultimate episode, and then the season finale set up the next season.

Season 1: Ned is executed, Jaime is captured.
Season 2: Blackwater
Season 3: Red Wedding
Season 4: Battle of Castle Black
Season 5: I have no memory of what happened in this episode, I think this is when my GoT-specific brain damage started setting in
Season 6: Battle of the Bastards
Season 7: I couldn't possibly tell you
Season 8: Terrible, awful, horrible episode, but a lot did happen. In my head this is the finale, as I never watched the final episode.

The later seasons had a bigger budget and so spread it out a bit more. In my memory Hardhome was also the penultimate episode, but it was actually the prior episode in season 5. Maybe that's why I couldn't remember the actual penultimate episode.

Edit: to be clear I'm not saying you're one of those, given you're mentioning the phenomenon yourself.

Now give a breakdown of the finales. What actually happened this finale? Nothing. It was Daemon bending the knee, that was the takeaway in a rather undramatic fashion oh and mud wrestling...

Now give a breakdown of the finales. What actually happened this finale? Nothing. It was Daemon bending the knee, that was the takeaway in a rather undramatic fashion oh and mud wrestling...

I'm not saying it was a good finale (it was boring), but if people expected grand fights, dragon vs dragon, armies, etc., then they were bound to be disappointed. They definitely should have had something else happening. Someone dying, someone learning a shocking fact (and us along with them), something.

Daemon was almost as dramatic as the red wedding or as big a mind feck as Jaime saying he never really cared about the common folk in S8.

He probably did order the death of the boy. Didn't the camera cut away after they asked him what to do if they couldn't find Aemond? Then when they couldn't find him, one of them said "a son for a son".
He gave them a look when they asked "what if we can't find him" and that could be interpreted as you better find him or else and it can be interpreted as just bring me a head. I interpreted it as you better find the right one but tweedle dee and tweedle dum just did whatever the hell they wanted. Most people want to believe Daemon capable of such things but it was really left up to everyone's interpretation.

I'm not saying it was a good finale (it was boring), but if people expected grand fights, dragon vs dragon, armies, etc., then they were bound to be disappointed. They definitely should have had something else happening. Someone dying, someone learning a shocking fact (and us along with them), something.
The obvious one should have been that knight getting beheaded for his treachery. No idea why they didn’t include that.

He gave them a look when they asked "what if we can't find him" and that could be interpreted as you better find him or else and it can be interpreted as just bring me a head. I interpreted it as you better find the right one but tweedle dee and tweedle dum just did whatever the hell they wanted. Most people want to believe Daemon capable of such things but it was really left up to everyone's interpretation.

They specifically mentioned the "son for a son" line though, and that's not part of the conversation we get to see. It's reasonable to assume that's what followed the look, or else it would be a bit weird to say it.

Anyone who expected a lot to happen must have forgotten that in GoT, half the season budget was spent on the penultimate episode, and then the season finale set up the next season.

Season 1: Ned is executed, Jaime is captured.
Season 2: Blackwater
Season 3: Red Wedding
Season 4: Battle of Castle Black
Season 5: I have no memory of what happened in this episode, I think this is when my GoT-specific brain damage started setting in
Season 6: Battle of the Bastards
Season 7: I couldn't possibly tell you
Season 8: Terrible, awful, horrible episode, but a lot did happen. In my head this is the finale, as I never watched the final episode.

The later seasons had a bigger budget and so spread it out a bit more. In my memory Hardhome was also the penultimate episode, but it was actually the prior episode in season 5. Maybe that's why I couldn't remember the actual penultimate episode.

Edit: to be clear I'm not saying you're one of those, given you're mentioning the phenomenon yourself.
I think in GoT there was usually one major plot each season that began, developed, and ended. It was not necessarily resolved in the penultimate episode, for example the '(semi) fall of House Lannister' that begins in Season 4 with Joffrey's death culminates with Tywin's death in the S4 finale. Jon Snow's stint as Lord Commander ends in the S5 finale with his assassination.

Main complaint people have about this show is that the whole thing feels like setup for future events. This was true even for S1 which got better reception.

I think in GoT there was usually one major plot each season that began, developed, and ended. It was not necessarily resolved in the penultimate episode, for example the '(semi) fall of House Lannister' that begins in Season 4 with Joffrey's death culminates with Tywin's death in the S4 finale. Jon Snow's stint as Lord Commander ends in the S5 finale with his assassination.

Main complaint people have about this show is that the whole thing feels like setup for future events. This was true even for S1 which got better reception.

The audience learning about Jons parentage, Jon, bastard king of the north. Tywin bring shot and killed by Tyrion who then flees. Didn't the Hound fight Brienne in the finale which resulted in Arya sailing off? Loads of key moments tended to happen, they weren't huge set pieces but key moments in the story.

This really had nothing at all. Shame.

I broadly still enjoyed season 2, but it was a let-down. Particularly the way they seemingly ended last season by setting up this season as the "oh now it's war" season. I actually liked a lot of the Harrenhal stuff, but it should have been a 2-3 episode thing at most, not something that went through the entire season. The same can be said for a lot of plot lines. I'm not giving up on the show, but if season 3 is another "and then they prepared for war" season then I'm definitely out. But that seems very unlikely given how they ended this one. One would hope.

The audience learning about Jons parentage, Jon, bastard king of the north. Tywin bring shot and killed by Tyrion who then flees. Didn't the Hound fight Brienne in the finale which resulted in Arya sailing off? Loads of key moments tended to happen, they weren't huge set pieces but key moments in the story.

not to mention all of that happens about 30 minutes after Stannis charge into those wildlings camps which is also soon after that epic battle for the Castle Black :lol:

Daemon was almost as dramatic as the red wedding or as big a mind feck as Jaime saying he never really cared about the common folk in S8.
Was it though? It could have been perhaps but the dragged it out so long and then rushed Rhaenyra to Harenhall (hey Its not like your most critical part of your army wasn't dilly dallying there the entire season when every moment counts /s) that at that point I didn't really care anymore which way it went. In some ways Daemon going the other way would have been a much bigger shock at that pt.

I think the other issue I have with this show is that there hasnt been enough screen time for the smaller characters. I have no idea who the babysitter turned dragon finder is called? I know she's the sister of the Dragon rider girl (dont know her name either) but other than babysitter being annoyed about not having a dragon and walking a lot we don't really know anything about her character. Jayce should have more varied screentime as all we've had from him this season is him being a petulant little moaning twat. Ok mate, we got that, how about something else?

Even Aemond, he's been relegated as anime villain. Give him more screentime to make him a slightly better character and make us understand why he's a vicious young man other than "I was in a scrap once and lost an eye", we had the whorehouse segment, but other than standing up naked infront of his bro and mates did we see any climax to that story (probably poor choice of words). Helaena has been given the Bran treatment of becoming a souless person that can see into the future. Sure, a horrible thing happened to her this season, but we don't really know much about her character and how she feels about other characters.

I think the worst thing the show did was put too much emphasis on the two leading roles when actually you need the entire cast to make it an interesting story.

Last episode was a bit of a damp squib but the season as a whole was solid I think.

They’re really going to milk this and drag it out for as long as possible aren’t they. What a disappointing season with so many filler episodes.

Some of the cheesy characters and acting is cringeworthy. The guy playing Ulf would fit in better in Coronation Street, and the young woman chasing the dragon around in the field looks like she’s never acted in more than a high school play.

Don’t even get me started on the woman leading the command of the ships and the mud fight. Terrible acting and writing.
None of the acting has been terrible. You're just upset and taking it out on those undeserving.

Was it though? It could have been perhaps but the dragged it out so long and then rushed Rhaenyra to Harenhall (hey Its not like your most critical part of your army wasn't dilly dallying there the entire season when every moment counts /s) that at that point I didn't really care anymore which way it went. In some ways Daemon going the other way would have been a much bigger shock at that pt.
I wasn't being super serious

I think the other issue I have with this show is that there hasnt been enough screen time for the smaller characters. I have no idea who the babysitter turned dragon finder is called? I know she's the sister of the Dragon rider girl (dont know her name either) but other than babysitter being annoyed about not having a dragon and walking a lot we don't really know anything about her character. Jayce should have more varied screentime as all we've had from him this season is him being a petulant little moaning twat. Ok mate, we got that, how about something else?

Even Aemond, he's been relegated as anime villain. Give him more screentime to make him a slightly better character and make us understand why he's a vicious young man other than "I was in a scrap once and lost an eye", we had the whorehouse segment, but other than standing up naked infront of his bro and mates did we see any climax to that story (probably poor choice of words). Helaena has been given the Bran treatment of becoming a souless person that can see into the future. Sure, a horrible thing happened to her this season, but we don't really know much about her character and how she feels about other characters.

I think the worst thing the show did was put too much emphasis on the two leading roles when actually you need the entire cast to make it an interesting story.
Fair comment. They stretched out the story enough to be able to give us more on the side characters and they didn't. Just stretching it out as a money grab.

Bit of a meh episode. Wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Daario Naharis and re-cast teeth lady. She was shite.

Perfectly fine episode, but it felt more like the 8th episode of a 10 episode season rather than the finale of an 8 episode one.

For it to work as a season finale I'd need to be more invested in the Rhaenyra/Allicent & Rhaenyra/Daemon relationships than I really was. Without that investment in their personal dynamics, it was was a pretty uneventful way to set up a likely wait until 2026 for season 3.

But generally enjoyed the season well enough for what it is.

Perfectly fine episode, but it felt more like the 8th episode of a 10 episode season rather than the finale of an 8 episode one.

For it to work as a season finale I'd need to be more invested in the Rhaenyra/Allicent & Rhaenyra/Daemon relationships than I really was. Without that investment in their personal dynamics, it was was a pretty uneventful way to set up a likely wait until 2026 for season 3.

But generally enjoyed the season well enough for what it is.
I was just thinking the exact same thing. It was a good episode but not a good finale, and given the low number of episodes I think it was a fair assumption that the money was being spent on epic battles or dragon fights; we got episode 4 and that was mostly that.

None of the acting has been terrible. You're just upset and taking it out on those undeserving.

“Upset” that a season of a TV show was disappointing. Please. :lol:

There are these things called opinions.

It’s hardly a controversial opinion that there is poor acting on this show. Plenty of people that watch the show have been complaining about it this season.

It hasn’t been mentioned yet. Question is who has him? His own people won’t imprison him so who kidnapped him?

Probably a rival House, or maybe Larys made it happen? Hopefully we’ll get more screen time for both of them next season.

It hasn’t been mentioned yet. Question is who has him? His own people won’t imprison him so who kidnapped him?
That's a very good question.

Gotta be someone who's not really has much, if any screentime.

Baratheon?

Not seen any greyjoys yet I believe.

Oh was he imprisoned? That must have happened ages ago because Ailcent complained she hadn't heard from him episodes ago.
He watched that finale and decided prison without tv was better

This show needs better show runners, seriously is anyone outside of the show runners interested in the alicent and rhaneyra stuff, same with rhaneyra and daemon. Get to the fecking war. Also alicent is just badly written at this point, she does stuff that makes no sense.