Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

It's a very poor show by a lot of "metrics" - acting, writing, character development, plots - with high production values. It's strangely watchable (with your phone in hand, to scroll during the long boring periods of the episode with nothing of note happening, just another poorly written exposition scene) but it's not good per se.
I’ve seen the trailer for knight of the seven kingdoms, so far doesn’t look anything special. I get that people have said there isn’t as much material available for the new spin offs that GoT enjoyed but good writers and story tellers can overcome these obstacles and use GoT as a template on how to proceed.

Maybe this is what TV shows will look like from now on, youth watching it now think it’s prime viewing but GoT was prime viewing for us. Or the people really enjoying the series haven’t watched GoT and this is there baseline

IMDB gave the last episode a 9.8 rating, not seen the episode but from the reviews online it’s baffling how it got such high ratings.

I’ve seen the trailer for knight of the seven kingdoms, so far doesn’t look anything special. I get that people have said there isn’t as much material available for the new spin offs that GoT enjoyed but good writers and story tellers can overcome these obstacles and use GoT as a template on how to proceed.

Maybe this is what TV shows will look like from now on, youth watching it now think it’s prime viewing but GoT was prime viewing for us. Or the people really enjoying the series haven’t watched GoT and this is there baseline

IMDB gave the last episode a 9.8 rating, not seen the episode but from the reviews online it’s baffling how it got such high ratings.
Just fyi, I don't think GOT was "prime viewing" and I feel that House of Dragon has the same flaws GOT did.

Also, is Lohar supposed to be a flamboyant man who is played by a woman (sure they referred to 'him') or just a woman when Tyland expected a man?

How are people annoyed at the lack of action? The penultimate episode being the episode of action has been a GOTism since beginning of the franchise?

Unlike GOT it doesn't have the writing, characters or story to keep you entertained without it. The best episode so far was when we had dragon battles and Aemond roasting Aegon.

A little disappointed with the last episode. I was expecting a bit more payoff after what has felt like hours of setting up. It was a very well written episode, just not what I really wanted to see. One thing they have done though is build up an enormous hype for season 3.

Wouldn't mind a slower season if the wait between seasons wasn't 2 fecking years now absolutely ridiculous

Episode 1 of season 3 is probably going to be what I expected season finale to be.

Don't know about rest of you, but season 2 was major disappointment for me bar episode 4.

Well it is? And they did the exact same thing in season 1....
Same universe. Different stories, different characters. Also A song of ice and fire had plenty of action both in tv series and the books. Its very much centered about the stories legendary warrior feats of Rhaegar, Bronn, Jaime, Ned, The Young Wolf, Robert baratheon, Loras Tyrrel(and his brother in the books), Khal Drogo, The Mountain that rides, The Hound, Arya, Jon, Barristan Selmy and legends of the past like Arthur Dayne.

One of the most climatic moments was The Viper vs Gregor Clegane.

Essentially it was strong on all fronts. This show is mainly weak when they spend most of the time talking about what they feel about something we already know.

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone but the scene where Daemon finally saw what was coming gave me chills. The part where he bent his knee to Rhaenyra was also a good powerful scene.

GRRM should have never let them touch his books. For all those who didn't read the books now is the time. It fills the void.

I don't know about anyone but the scene where Daemon finally saw what was coming gave me chills. The part where he bent his knee to Rhaenyra was also a good powerful scene.

GRRM should have never let them touch his books. For all those who didn't read the books now is the time. It fills the void.

It was a good scene. For some reason I cant put my finger on there is something about your username that suggets that you really love the universe and lore, but I cant work out what it is.

It would have done Scarlett if the White Walkers were a serious threat in GoT. But the way that arc ended in GoT as a conflict in a huge war means that it didn't have as much weight. It honestly irritated me.

Final episode was a disappointment ultimately. I was expecting something to happen, anything. We know that she won't give up Aegon and the decision was taken out of her hands anyway with him fleeing so that entire discussion was ultimately redundant.

The only thing of note that happened was Daemon taking the knee again.

Sara Hess and Ryan Condal are clueless, so much filler nonsense this season, then you see their interviews and can understand why this season has been a major disappointment.

And nothing, Rhaenyra has a named heir in jace. And a full blooded spare too should something to jace.
Rhaenyra has 4 kids. Jace and Joffrey from Harwyn Strong, and Aegon and Viserys from Daemon. Even if Hugh was legalised as a Targ he would be 5th in succession at best. Currently the same odds as Prince Harry becoming king. If he's younger than Daemon then Daemon and his two daughters would be ahead of him too.

It would have done Scarlett if the White Walkers were a serious threat in GoT. But the way that arc ended in GoT as a conflict in a huge war means that it didn't have as much weight. It honestly irritated me.

Final episode was a disappointment ultimately. I was expecting something to happen, anything. We know that she won't give up Aegon and the decision was taken out of her hands anyway with him fleeing so that entire discussion was ultimately redundant.

Of course they were a threat. They were a almost invulnerable host. Luckily in their first battle in Westeros they were taken down by leaving a cripple more less or undefended for some reason near a tree and then a 10 year old female asssasin managed jump out of nowhere and suckerpunch the main mofo. And that was it really.

It was a good scene. For some reason I cant put my finger on there is something about your username that suggets that you really love the universe and lore, but I cant work out what it is.
You'll figure it out eventually :p

You would have what..typo? They ruined it. I can't comment on the end because we didn't have anything to compare it to. There's a lot hidden in that conversation with Alicent. Did it look like her father was a prisoner or was he escaping too? For all his faults I think Aegon might still have some good in him.

You'll figure it out eventually :p

You would have what..typo? They ruined it. I can't comment on the end because we didn't have anything to compare it to. There's a lot hidden in that conversation with Alicent. Did it look like her father was a prisoner or was he escaping too? For all his faults I think Aegon might still have some good in him.

I didn't even notice the father in the last sequence. There was too much editing and cutting between people to really take it all in.

I wish they would stop referencing Game of Thrones. It just cheapens it a bit for me. It's all "the great threat", "winter is coming", and yet all I'm reminded of is that Winter made it as far as Winterfell, and was stopped by a non-Targaryen girl who flew out of nowhere, not using the special ability that she had spent many seasons learning, and stabbed a man.

How am I supposed to be stirred by these references to a show in which the supreme evil was vanquished by episode 3 of the last season, and the rest was a cakewalk defeat of the  real final boss, "bad queen" - who was herself finally defeated by some falling bricks?

I just want to watch HotD, damn it.

I wish they would stop referencing Game of Thrones. It just cheapens it a bit for me. It's all "the great threat", "winter is coming", and yet all I'm reminded of is that Winter made it as far as Winterfell, and was stopped by a non-Targaryen girl who flew out of nowhere, not using the special ability that she had spent many seasons learning, and stabbed a man.

How am I supposed to be stirred by these references to a show in which the supreme evil was vanquished by episode 3 of the last season, and the rest was a cakewalk defeat of the  real final boss, "bad queen" - who was herself finally defeated by some falling bricks?

I just want to watch HotD, damn it.

I think Jon "Aegon Targaryen" Snow screaming at the zombie dragon threw everyone including the Night King off.

I think Jon "Aegon Targaryen" Snow screaming at the zombie dragon threw everyone including the Night King off.

They actually filmed the Night King reacting to that, but it was removed in the final edit.
WStWB4f.gif

Good episode I thought, but leaves me fuming that it's the last one. Plenty of things that tied up the season well though, for me.

Sure I remember GoT seasons ending in a similar way, laying out all the pieces for the next season.

Anyone who expected a lot to happen must have forgotten that in GoT, half the season budget was spent on the penultimate episode, and then the season finale set up the next season.

Season 1: Ned is executed, Jaime is captured.
Season 2: Blackwater
Season 3: Red Wedding
Season 4: Battle of Castle Black
Season 5: I have no memory of what happened in this episode, I think this is when my GoT-specific brain damage started setting in
Season 6: Battle of the Bastards
Season 7: I couldn't possibly tell you
Season 8: Terrible, awful, horrible episode, but a lot did happen. In my head this is the finale, as I never watched the final episode.

The later seasons had a bigger budget and so spread it out a bit more. In my memory Hardhome was also the penultimate episode, but it was actually the prior episode in season 5. Maybe that's why I couldn't remember the actual penultimate episode.

Edit: to be clear I'm not saying you're one of those, given you're mentioning the phenomenon yourself.

They’re really going to milk this and drag it out for as long as possible aren’t they. What a disappointing season with so many filler episodes.

Some of the cheesy characters and acting is cringeworthy. The guy playing Ulf would fit in better in Coronation Street, and the young woman chasing the dragon around in the field looks like she’s never acted in more than a high school play.

Don’t even get me started on the woman leading the command of the ships and the mud fight. Terrible acting and writing.

They’re really going to milk this and drag it out for as long as possible aren’t they. What a disappointing season with so many filler episodes.

Some of the cheesy characters and acting is cringeworthy. The guy playing Ulf would fit in better in Coronation Street, and the young woman chasing the dragon around in the field looks like she’s never acted in more than a high school play.

Don’t even get me started on the woman leading the command of the ships and the mud fight. Terrible acting and writing.
Let's not forget Matt Smith's terrible acting. The acting across the board is pretty dreadful, Rhys Ifans in comparison looks like a BAFTA contender.

When Rhaenyra demanded a son for a son from Alicent, did she forget about Daemon ordering the murder of the little boy?

Majority of scenes in Harrenhal were something else, not to mention solid display of dark fantasy which is rarity these days.

Overall more horror in this genre could be refreshing.

I get the point about penultimate episodes, but all we got this time was a couple of lamewads claiming a dragon in a cave, which was highly predictable before it even happened.

Let's not forget Matt Smith's terrible acting. The acting across the board is pretty dreadful, Rhys Ifans in comparison looks like a BAFTA contender.

Rhys Ifans is brilliant. Shame we saw so little of him this season. One of the few interesting (and well acted) characters.

Did I mention being a fan or not being a fan of the show? I'm just pointing out that you're a bit of a hypocrite.
I don't think I am! The BAFTA comment was obviously a turn of phrase to emphasize the point which is that the acting is pretty poor across the board. I don't think that's a particularly controversial opinion?

Rhys Ifans is brilliant. Shame we saw so little of him this season. One of the few interesting (and well acted) characters.
Yeah I think he's good, as are a few others, Emma d'Arcy is decent too, and Paddy Considine was great in season 1. Overall though there's a lot of weak performances.

I don't think I am! The BAFTA comment was obviously a turn of phrase to emphasize the point which is that the acting is pretty poor across the board. I don't think that's a particularly controversial opinion?

As I recall, the comment I made that you found so objectionable, in a conversation you weren't a part of, was that Dakota Fanning was the only good child actor. It was also obviously a turn of phrase to emphasize the point that most child actors are detrimental to their films.

Yeah I think he's good, as are a few others, Emma d'Arcy is decent too, and Paddy Considine was great in season 1. Overall though there's a lot of weak performances.

Agreed. Emma d’Arcy is the one holding it all together at the moment.

I’m quite surprised at how poor the casting has been in this show. They did a much better job with that in GoT. Of course it helped that the source material was better (in the early seasons), so the actors had more to work with, but some of the actors in this are just average at best.