Henry Winter: Rashford spent the summer getting supremely fit, reporting early for training | Wants to stay as he loves the club

It's worn thin. Did a long time ago. Let's see if he produces it where and when it matters, consistently. I said to someone a couple of months back for some reason I thought Arsenal might come in for him.

It appears that Rashford’s PR campaign is working pretty well, at least for some of our fan base from what I can see in this thread alone right now.

In the last month, you've made around 15 posts. 12 of which are insulting Rashford or wanting him to go.

That's weird.

The hate for Rashford is seriously misplaced. Yes, he's underperforming but this is no way for a fan base to treat him. You can see he realizes himself and is ashamed of his performances. He's voluntarily given up social media for a while to focus on football and is at least trying to show fans he cares by putting out these PR stunts.
No white text?

It has everything to do with it. No idea why anyone would support a club based in a city they've never even visited, let alone lived in. It's a mystery to me. Each to their own, though, I guess. To me, it's about community and civic pride and family (every time anything significant happens with United, I think of my grandad, a diehard Mancunian Red who died far too young). The stories my uncles and my mom told me about the Busby Babes, about Munich, about how it felt to be in Piccadilly Gardens when the newspapers blared the awful headlines, about redemption ten years later against Benfica, about crying as a kid when we were relegated then celebrating our return to exciting wing play under the Doc. And on a more mundane level, about getting on that bus every other Saturday to cross South Manchester to Old Trafford and pay my two quid at the Stretford End turnstiles.

I realize not everyone was fortunate enough to experience all of this, and that's fine, but this is why I won't call out any players, let alone fellow Mancs who play for United, period. You call it "tosh" (which is astonishingly disrespectful, frankly); I call it what it feels like to be a lifelong United fan born in that great city to a family who lived and breathed the club.
Is that you, Marcus?

Rashford is a microcosm of the times we live in. He has created a narrative around him that is contrary to reality and as a result spends so much energy and resources on PR trying to maintain the mirage.
Some United fans are a microcosm of the times they live in. They have created a narrative around some of our players and football in general that is contrary to reality (and decency) and as a result spend hours thinking of new ways to insult players.

It appears that Rashford’s PR campaign is working pretty well, at least for some of our fan base from what I can see in this thread alone right now.
There's always mugs who believe every PR piece that's released.

It has everything to do with it. No idea why anyone would support a club based in a city they've never even visited, let alone lived in. It's a mystery to me. Each to their own, though, I guess. To me, it's about community and civic pride and family (every time anything significant happens with United, I think of my grandad, a diehard Mancunian Red who died far too young). The stories my uncles and my mom told me about the Busby Babes, about Munich, about how it felt to be in Piccadilly Gardens when the newspapers blared the awful headlines, about redemption ten years later against Benfica, about crying as a kid when we were relegated then celebrating our return to exciting wing play under the Doc. And on a more mundane level, about getting on that bus every other Saturday to cross South Manchester to Old Trafford and pay my two quid at the Stretford End turnstiles.

I realize not everyone was fortunate enough to experience all of this, and that's fine, but this is why I won't call out any players, let alone fellow Mancs who play for United, period. You call it "tosh" (which is astonishingly disrespectful, frankly); I call it what it feels like to be a lifelong United fan born in that great city to a family who lived and breathed the club.

:confused: mam, mum, or even ma yes. Mom...:confused:

Looking at it in its basic terms as an employee of an organisation. You have a worker who is very erratic. For all the good, there is twice as much bad as far as his output is concerned. Any other industry the employee would be fired.
Rashford then keeps telling you through others, how next year and all the other years after how its going to be different, despite this happening time and time again. As a football club, as a manager, why would you fall for this nonsense, time and time again?
Utd are hampered by his wages and length of contract, by his 'but, but, hes a local lad and he helps the community' crap that is always spouted by his fanboys is wearing way too thin.
There is a new ruthless regime that wants to rebuild and cannot hold on to baggage, and at the end of the day it doesnt matter who or what he is outside football. If he's not good enough then he should be moved on, or at least try to move him on.

You realize the overwhelming chunk of this clubs history is owed to people not from manchester

These so called local lads is taking a piss on the great club you love and you defended it to the hilt.

I supported this club thanks to Beckham.

I don't know why Manchester United fans seemingly dislike him so much. I just don't get it
I've noticed that the favorite targets of rival fans ire always end up having our fans lapping up and repeating their exact insults and lines of thinking not long after. Rashford, Bruno, Maguire, Shaw and countless former players before.

Gotten so OTT that they'll attack other fans now who don't want to join in on the pile on and abuse as we keep seeing here.

Bit nutty that tbh.

For Rashford specifically it's never simply on the pitch criticism, which would be fair. We saw all sorts of weird behavior when he was getting slated for his off the pitch charity efforts with the 'PR this, PR that' sounding straight out of a fecking Arsenal forum.

Just get on with selling him already, he's going to get worst next season.

Would SAF have sold him by now in your opinion? According to your post you should know better than anyone how deeply commitment and work ethic are imbedded in the fabric of this club.

He always looks in pretty good physical shape to me.

Hopefully the confidence of working out a bit more will stop him either running down blind alleys or kicking the ball against a defenders leg and falling over every time he gets the ball.

At the end of the day, PR exists because it works. At least on a big chunk of the population.

Otherwise Rashford wouldnt spend what is probably hundreds of thousands on it every season.

For those of you saying he’s brainless, he’s managed to get Henry Winter to do for free what he’d have had to pay the Player’s Tribune $20k for.

At the end of the day, PR exists because it works. At least on a big chunk of the population.

Otherwise Rashford wouldnt spend what is probably hundreds of thousands on it every season.
Can't spell propaganda without PR.

Rashford needs to get his head right, focus on being the unbelievable player that we know he can be. I'd say he's on last chance saloon. it's would give us a great chance to make the top 4 if he repeat his form of a year or so.

I don't blame those being sceptical, but imagine if this is true. We all know Rashford has it in him to play at a very high standard, and, yes, we know he's capable of having periods of terrible form, too, but, until I see otherwise come the start of the season, I'm going to be optimistic in regards to Marcus.

If he can get back to his 22/23 or 19/20 (which I think was the best he's been) form, that'll lift the team so much.

I don't blame those being sceptical, but imagine if this is true. We all know Rashford has it in him to play at a very high standard, and, yes, we know he's capable of having periods of terrible form, too, but, until I see otherwise come the start of the season, I'm going to be optimistic in regards to Marcus.

If he can get back to his 22/23 or 19/20 (which I think was the best he's been) form, that'll lift the team so much.

Good post.

Always worth noting that his two poor seasons have come when everyone was shite. Prime Best, Law, Charlton, Cantona, Ronaldo would have struggled in that environment.

Last edited:
The Rashford PR department take on the full back. What a cross. Goooallll.

I think you are on a loser on this site lads, I have noticed how they get very defensive and touchy when you mention you are from Manchester, especially when you relate personal experience of life long support of the club. All the examples of getting the match bus from Aytoun Street, walking down Warwick Road (most wont know what it is) only bring childish name calling from some posters.

I agree fully with you about the abuse, its disgusting some of the abuse allowed , these players play for our club, but that doesn't mean they cannot be criticised or called out, personally I think Rashford, after his disrespect to club and fans last season needs to either leave or get back to a level of play that is acceptable.
I find it hard to watch the lad now after he went on the beer because he didn't fancy playing, on top of that he lied to his manager, club and fans, it was only when social media caught him out did he admit it. There's more I could say on Rashford but will leave it at that, If he stays I really hope he proves his love of the club.

Oh please.

I have no issues with anyone from any part of the world.

My issue is with people on here who can't seemingly comprehend that some local fans have a relationship with the club than others. And maybe the thought of having a load of academy players is better than the club routinely wasting 2/300 million on the next flavour of the month.

On Rashford, the language that you have even used is a bit weird. "Disrespect" is a strange word. Yes, going out drinking was a bad look but hardly the first to make that mistake. Rooney and Keane to name two. I also remember Scholes refusing to play a League Cup match once...

I saw that Mark Goldbridge twat having a go at him for crying after the cup final. It's almost like someone's who entire relationship with the club is based on reactionary bullshit couldn't understand why a local lad would be a bit emotional after beating city in an FA Cup final.

Around about this time last year, Rashford was getting back to his Miami hotel at 5am. I think it's okay to choose to see the fact that we have this instead as a positive.