Henry Winter: Rashford spent the summer getting supremely fit, reporting early for training | Wants to stay as he loves the club

How do you get rid of them then?
Attempt to sell all three. If you can't, then look to loan out Antony and Sancho with options/obligations. Use Rashford as a backup and not an automatic starter. These players might be hurting you off the pitch, but don't allow them to hurt you on it too.

No shit Sherlock. The question is how.

Nobody is that dumb to buy them, they're not that self conscious to take a cut.
Do whatever is necessary. If you can't sell them, then loan them with options/obligations. Rashford is the most useful of the three, but only use him very sparingly as a squad option until the time comes when you can sell him.

Swapping Rashford out for Williams would make us a very dangerous team

That being said I was impressed by Rashfords performance yesterday, there were positive signs. When was the last time you saw him head a corner down to create a chance?

As long as he's improving, I'm fine with it. Just hope he will not lose motivation again mid season. A motivated player is an asset to any team

Personally his attitude stinks and he should have been shipped out. Arteta did it with PEA and his squad was better for it. We don’t have the luxury to carry players through games

He did alright but his finishing was off, a shame but definitely showed positive signs. Remember it's still a pre season game.

Can't believe the overreaction on social media. Marcus worked well for the team and missed 2 chances, so he's being piled onto for a nothing of note game and having a decent performance. Genuinely don't think it helps any player to see some of the guff posted about them.
We played well against one of the best teams on the planet and should have won, so let's all target certain players is just bizarre.

I remember Ralf pointing to the sulking behaviour of Rashford in one of the articles.

I think other players like Antony, Mount, Maguire may accept their squad role but I doubt Rashford is capable of that considering his star status over last few years. We have lot of momentum right now, hope one or 2 guys won't disturb that.

Personally his attitude stinks and he should have been shipped out. Arteta did it with PEA and his squad was better for it. We don’t have the luxury to carry players through games
Oddly the manager is nothing but positive about his performance in training and how he interacts with the squad. So how are the 2 comparable and what do you know from your dealing with Marcus that would qualify you to know better?
Ten Hag was quick to remove Ronaldo who had issues with training and the manager, also Sancho.

Can't believe the overreaction on social media. Marcus worked well for the team and missed 2 chances, so he's being piled onto for a nothing of note game and having a decent performance. Genuinely don't think it helps any player to see some of the guff posted about them.
We played well against one of the best teams on the planet and should have won, so let's all target certain players is just bizarre.
How was it a decent performance? What was good or even acceptable about it?

Oddly the manager is nothing but positive about his performance in training and how he interacts with the squad. So how are the 2 comparable and what do you know from your dealing with Marcus that would qualify you to know better?
Ten Hag was quick to remove Ronaldo who had issues with training and the manager, also Sancho.
It doesn’t matter. Don’t you know, you can just make stuff up on internet forums and then people will believe it’s gospel so they can use it to suit their agenda.

He walked onto the the pitch fully dressed, with each shoe on the right foot. That's the standard Rashford has to meet in order to achieve a 'decent' peformance. That's long established. He hasn't got a 'poor'. Even when in comparison with everyone else on the pitch he looks dreadful, his performance will always be described as 'decent'.

The Rashford thread this season, like last, will be full of people insisting that he's had a string of performances so 'decent' that they led them to lose his place in the England set-up and started to see others ahead of him at United too. No Sir, Rashford is nothing else other than 'decent'. Except, that is, when he's actaully decent. On those occasions he's "world class"

There's a core of the support who have been gaslighting this for a few years now. We can look forward to another season where outrageously bad performances being stoically defended with the five magic words: '"I thought he was decent"

As long as he's improving, I'm fine with it. Just hope he will not lose motivation again mid season. A motivated player is an asset to any team
Standards are in the pits if our best paid, ‘franchise’ player is deemed acceptable by merely putting the effort in.

If he doesn’t get 30 G+A minimum this season we must start hawking him around, before it turns to another post-2014 Rooney/Sanchez situation.

Obviously I don’t know Marcus, I’m going by what I see of him in matches on the pitch.

I go by the absolute garbage he has churned out all last year.

These are my personal views of him as a player, hence why I said ‘personally’ in my last post.

What is your problem with my personal opinion and why the hostility? Wind your neck in

How wasn't it a decent performance? His manager is happy with him and I'm not the one complaining about how he performed.
Had he converted one of his 2 chances no one would be complaining, aside those with an endless agenda against him.

Standards are in the pits if our best paid, ‘franchise’ player is deemed acceptable by merely putting the effort in.

If he doesn’t get 30 G+A minimum this season we must start hawking him around, before it turns to another post-2014 Rooney/Sanchez situation.
Totally agree. People seem to be happy with ‘he’s improving.’ This is ridiculous. We don’t need improving players who are supposed to be our main goal threats, we need him to put the ball in the net. Standards have dropped massively.

This.

How wasn't it a decent performance? His manager is happy with him and I'm not the one complaining about how he performed.
Had he converted one of his 2 chances no one would be complaining, aside those with an endless agenda against him.
But he didn’t put the chances away. No one has an agenda against him, we just don’t think the sun shines out of his backside like some on here. No on should be above criticism and standards should be high at United. Can’t believe that even needs to be said but here you go

But he didn’t put the chances away. No one has an agenda against him, we just don’t think the sun shines out of his backside like some on here. No on should be above criticism and standards should be high at United. Can’t believe that even needs to be said but here you go
I'd strongly beg to differ, it's just a carry on from last season. His performance wasn't poor, yet he's got 3 threads all very active with people making out he didn't play well, which isn't true.

But that's exactly the issue. He was served with two excellent goal opportunities. Apart from finding himself at the end of those passes opening a shooting position, what did he do to call this a decent performance? That is a genuine question. If Casemiro and Bruno don't make that pass, surely he's still having a decent game right?

Totally agree. People seem to be happy with ‘he’s improving.’ This is ridiculous. We don’t need improving players who are supposed to be our main goal threats, we need him to put the ball in the net. Standards have dropped massively.
Who says he is our main goal threat ? You ?

People only say he is out main goal threat because in a couple of seasons he has scored a ton of goals. That is a feather in his cap not a negative

But that's exactly the issue. He was served with two excellent goal opportunities. Apart from finding himself at the end of those passes opening a shooting position, what did he do to call this a decent performance? That is a genuine question. If Casemiro and Bruno don't make that pass, surely he's still having a decent game right.
Just because a player misses a chance doesn't mean they had a poor performance.
He played well , if you don't see it that's fine I'm not going to do a YouTube content to show all involvements. Manager was fine with him and so am I. Hoping he has a very good season. Finding the negativity very tedious already! Team played well as a whole, which was very positive.

He ruined nearly every attack he was involved in, he created nothing, he was only a negative to our play, he was useless defensively just beaten constantly.

:lol: that's like saying OT doesn't have a leaky roof

Virtually every United player has people with an agenda on them, either for or against them, some are more vocal than others.

Last season Rashford deserved most of the criticism he got, he played lethargically with little effort, so far this preseason, you could be critical of his finishing but no more than that, the effort is clearly there

he doesn't offer us much if he isn't taking his chances

work-rate is average at best

and he doesn't seem to be able to beat players like he used to

Just because a player misses a chance doesn't mean they had a poor performance.
He played well , if you don't see it that's fine I'm not going to do a YouTube content to show all involvements. Manager was fine with him and so am I. Hoping he has a very good season. Finding the negativity very tedious already! Team played well as a whole, which was very positive.
Exactly! Whether player scores a chance or not is not a good indicator of his performance. I am asking what did he do to make you say he played well, because I don't think he did much.

I actually feel for Rashford, he’s been in this sort of situation several times and its not easy to overcome.
The only thing he can do is to put his head down and work really hard for the team, but its difficult when you’re the “face of the club” and the highest earner, because you’re also expected to deliver the numbers.
Its a position Marcus Rashford should have never been in, he was never that level of talent nor he had the mentality.

Jose Mourinho got lots of stick for basically treating Rashford as a squad player, he played plenty but he was never the main striker or the main man, Jose knew Rashford was never that level of player.
Then Ole came along and decided to build the attack around him and Martial.
Martial had the talent but was incredibly injury prone and had poor mentality, Rashford was never ever the level of talent to be the main man of one of the 2-3 biggest clubs on the planet.

For his own sake, he should’ve left to play in an another league, but since he never wanted to leave, the minimum he can do is to get the basics right of being a wide player, work hard, track back, forget about being the main man, do the right things for the team.
Him running into blind alleys consistently thinking he’s supposed to be Neymar, is a problem and and its easy to rectify, just don’t do that, but it also goes back to the club forcefully turning him into a “Neymar” when he was never that level of talent to begin with.

Last edited:
Rashford’s attacking performance was not bad yesterday. What still bothers me though he’s really hot and cold within the game itself.

That bottom corner finish just shows a player lacking confidence. I bet he’ll be better than last season by a mile(only way is up given how bad he and the team was), but still in a year or two, once Garnacho and Amad gain some experience and mature physically, he’ll be sold or replaced in starting 11.

You can’t afford your main star attacker to be inconsistent, his form and attitude just mimics how we finish in and out of top 4 since he has been the main man over the last 3-4 years.

As fans we should get behind him for this season, hes shown on form he can be on par with a Salah. But keeping the bigger picture in mind, should be replaced asap when we have the money as well as a right replacement.

He walked onto the the pitch fully dressed, with each shoe on the right foot. That's the standard Rashford has to meet in order to achieve a 'decent' peformance. That's long established. He hasn't got a 'poor'. Even when in comparison with everyone else on the pitch he looks dreadful, his performance will always be described as 'decent'.

The Rashford thread this season, like last, will be full of people insisting that he's had a string of performances so 'decent' that they led them to lose his place in the England set-up and started to see others ahead of him at United too. No Sir, Rashford is nothing else other than 'decent'. Except, that is, when he's actaully decent. On those occasions he's "world class"

There's a core of the support who have been gaslighting this for a few years now. We can look forward to another season where outrageously bad performances being stoically defended with the five magic words: '"I thought he was decent"
Jesus Christ, how passive aggressive is this? You're making up a scenario here where the vast majority of people think Rashford had been decent over the last year. That's not the reality I've here or talking to people outside of here. Bizarre really, because he's been absolutely slated and the vast majority of the performances were worthy of the criticism, although not the vitriol.

Just because people are saying he was decent yesterday, doesn't mean they're excusing everything before. They're just calling it like they see it. You make it sound like you don't want him to have a good game, just to fit your narrative of him being shite and beyond all saving.

I actually feel for Rashford, he’s been in this sort of situation several times and its not easy to overcome.
The only thing he can do is to put his head down and work really hard for the team, but its difficult when you’re the “face of the club” and the highest earner, because you’re also expected to deliver the numbers.
Its a position Marcus Rashford should have never been in, he was never that level of talent nor he had the mentality.

Jose Mourinho got lots of stick for basically treating Rashford as a squad player, he played plenty but he was never the main striker or the main man, Jose knew Rashford was never that level of player.
Then Ole came along and decided to build the attack around him and Martial.
Martial had the talent but was incredibly injury prone and had poor mentality, Rashford was never ever the level of talent to be the main man of one of the 2-3 biggest clubs on the planet.

For his own sake, he should’ve left to play in an another league, but since he never wanted to leave, the minimum he can do is to get the basics right of being a wide player, work hard, track back, forget about being the main man, do the right things for the team.
Him running into blind alleys consistently thinking he’s supposed to be Neymar, is a problem and and its easy to rectify, just don’t do that, but it also goes back to the club forcefully turning him into a “Neymar” when he was never that level of talent to begin with.
I would argue about only the part where you say he has no talent. Of course he does, how do you end up scoring 20+ goals in multiple seasons otherwise? He’s definitely shown enough over the past 4-5 years, that he has the talent as well as potential.

But this is all about mentality, over the long run, he’s shown multiple instances where he just loses his head based on circumstances as well as pressure. You can’t really afford to perform only when “you’re feeling like it”

I think what it comes down to is if we want to be serious and challenge for the big titles we can’t have someone so unreliable and inconsistent as Rashford starting every game. He’s absolutely miles apart from forwards we’ve won the league with in the past.

How are people arguing he was good or even decent yesterday? He missed two easy chances, one of which is almost whiffed completely. But let’s ignore that and look at the rest of the game. He was lined up against a City youth player at RB and didn’t beat him once. He should’ve been running at that kid at every opportunity but he looked either disinterested or unable. The one time I remember him actually taking him 1v1 he looked slow and was easily stopped.

With Rashford it reminds me of Nani back in the day in that, if they’re feeling confident they can be game changers. When they aren’t, they’re invisible at best.

How are people arguing he was good or even decent yesterday? He missed two easy chances, one of which is almost whiffed completely. But let’s ignore that and look at the rest of the game. He was lined up against a City youth player at RB and didn’t beat him once. He should’ve been running at that kid at every opportunity but he looked either disinterested or unable. The one time I remember him actually taking him 1v1 he looked slow and was easily stopped.

With Rashford it reminds me of Nani back in the day in that, if they’re feeling confident they can be game changers. When they aren’t, they’re invisible at best.
Exactly. I think Amad and Bruno had good games and I can explain why. I think anyone who thinks Rashford had a good game should also be able to explain the reasons. "he almost scored" doesn't seem like a strong argument to me.

EDIT: just to make it clear, I don't criticise him for not missing the chances, it happens. On another occasion and hopefully in a serious game he scores 2.

Exactly! Whether player scores a chance or not is not a good indicator of his performance. I am asking what did he do to make you say he played well, because I don't think he did much.
I said he had a decent game, had he scored he'd have played well. He wasn't a problem for the team like he was last season. I expect him to have more involvement when he's got a proper fullback behind him, as we tend to play more down the right when Rashford is more isolated.
Mainoo didn't have one of his better days, don't see the floods to his threads to complain about him. He also contributed to the teams good performance against City, without doing anything outstanding.