Henry Winter: Rashford spent the summer getting supremely fit, reporting early for training | Wants to stay as he loves the club

Based on speeding? Show me a driver who hasn't broken the speed limit and I'll show you a liar. He's staying because we gave him a silly contract, so let's hope he can find a connection with some of his new teammates like he used to have with Martial. That's it, we don't need abuse, and we only need praise if he shows something on the pitch. We need to apply balance.

Are you trying to say that anyone who did over 100mph and got 6 months driving ban isn’t an idiot? Please enlighten us how it should be best described with this behaviour?

I've really defended him and think some of the stick on here is ridiculous, but if totalling his car can't even teach him not to drive like a complete f*cking idiot, what point is there expecting him to ever learn or take in anything?
1. This incident happened in 2023.
2. He was not at fault in the accident that totalled his car. The other party’s insurance paid out.

A swap with Ugarte may be the best option for both players and teams.

Wants to stay as nobody else will pay him anywhere near what we do more like.

A swap with Ugarte may be the best option for both players and teams.
What?? Rashford is easily worth double of what Ugarte is worth and I'm one of those who wants Rashford to be sold. Let's not underrate our own players now. Or in this case, seems you are overrating Ugarte by quite a bit.

Losing possession of the ball. Losing possession of his license. Starting to see a pattern here.

2. He was not at fault in the accident that totalled his car. The other party’s insurance paid out.

Random but related: some guy on youtube with a big following bought that 'totalled' car and is trying to restore it to new.

What?? Rashford is easily worth double of what Ugarte is worth and I'm one of those who wants Rashford to be sold. Let's not underrate our own players now. Or in this case, seems you are overrating Ugarte by quite a bit.
If we were trying to sell. He's worth what someone is willing to pay.

If he was put up for sale tomorrow and Rashford wanted out, who's going to buy him, and for how much?

The problem when you're trying to sell these sorts of players for huge fees is there's actually very few clubs in Europe who have the sort of money to spend over £50m on a player. Pretty much just Madrid, Bayern, PSG and a few top premier league sides. Generally you don't want to sell to a premier league rival either. And if United deem him not good enough and want rid, why would the elite clubs in Europe want him when they're currently better teams than we are. And for nearly 100 million?

Occasionally you get lucky and a less wealthy club sell a player for a huge fee that summer and so it gives them some funds to bring in a replacement. But then you have the issue that these sorts of players think they're above certain clubs and expect to play for one of elite sides, even if those elite sides are not interested.

We may get lucky if PSG haven't noticed he's had 2 dreadful seasons in the last 3, but their interest in him looks to have cooled off, even with Mbappe leaving which opens up a spot. And no other rich club in Europe is buying him. And we'd be very very lucky to get the £80m we could have gotten over the last 2 or 3 years, he's no longer considered a young talent ready to reach the next level. He's soon to be 27, is very reliant on pace and lately he's having more dreadful seasons than he has good ones.

If we were trying to sell. He's worth what someone is willing to pay.

If he was put up for sale tomorrow and Rashford wanted out, who's going to buy him, and for how much?

The problem when you're trying to sell these sorts of players for huge fees is there's actually very few clubs in Europe who have the sort of money to spend over £50m on a player. Pretty much just Madrid, Bayern, PSG and a few top premier league sides. Generally you don't want to sell to a premier league rival either. And if United deem him not good enough and want rid, why would the elite clubs in Europe want him when they're currently better teams than we are. And for nearly 100 million?

Occasionally you get lucky and a less wealthy club sell a player for a huge fee that summer and so it gives them some funds to bring in a replacement. But then you have the issue that these sorts of players think they're above certain clubs and expect to play for one of elite sides, even if those elite sides are not interested.

We may get lucky if PSG haven't noticed he's had 2 dreadful seasons in the last 3, but their interest in him looks to have cooled off, even with Mbappe leaving which opens up a spot. And no other rich club in Europe is buying him. And we'd be very very lucky to get the £80m we could have gotten over the last 2 or 3 years, he's no longer considered a young talent ready to reach the next level. He's soon to be 27, is very reliant on pace and lately he's having more dreadful seasons than he has good ones.
My whole point was arguing about how it would be a good deal to swap Ugarte and Rashford. That presumably means they value both similarly. For all his faults Rashford is way more proven than Ugarte. And if someone isn't willing to meet our valuation then he won't get sold, it's that simple.

We have seen Everton hold off on their valuation of Branthwaite, we can easily do the same for our academy product. And our club has said all along that they will only consider substantial bids and will help him get back to his best form. That doesn't mean we will get rid but sell if the price is right.

I would prefer if he gets sold, but I would be even more thrilled if he buckled down, worked hard, and returned to his best form for us.

Pretty sure he's talking about his personality. If someone endangers your life, how can you not learn from it but go and do exactly the same to others? Is amnesia an excuse because it happened last year?

So if they value Ugarte at £60 mill you value Rashford at over £120 mill? I would love to know how you come to that valuation. No one would pay £60 mill for Rashford today, as the club have informed the world virtually everyone is for sale, yet no enquiries for Rashford have been made, not even a made up story in the media.

My whole point was arguing about how it would be a good deal to swap Ugarte and Rashford. That presumably means they value both similarly. For all his faults Rashford is way more proven than Ugarte. And if someone isn't willing to meet our valuation then he won't get sold, it's that simple.

We have seen Everton hold off on their valuation of Branthwaite, we can easily do the same for our academy product. And our club has said all along that they will only consider substantial bids and will help him get back to his best form. That doesn't mean we will get rid but sell if the price is right.

I would prefer if he gets sold, but I would be even more thrilled if he buckled down, worked hard, and returned to his best form for us.
Given his wages and antics last year, there may be flexibility in the valuation. Who knows.
If he stays, I just don’t see him turning into a quality, consistent performer. He’s been here 9 years and scored 83 goals. I can’t think of many players who’ve been at a big club that long and then suddenly turned into a world beater.

So if they value Ugarte at £60 mill you value Rashford at over £120 mill? I would love to know how you come to that valuation. No one would pay £60 mill for Rashford today, as the club have informed the world virtually everyone is for sale, yet no enquiries for Rashford have been made, not even a made up story in the media.

Quoting my other post here as that applies but Rashford had good seasons too, way more proven than Ugarte, way more experienced than him. Ugarte isn't worth anything close to £60m. The club has indicated their willingness to entertain offers, but they will only consider substantial bids for Rashford. We acknowledge that he has had some underwhelming seasons; however, we are firm in our stance that we won't part with a proven Premier League player and a valuable academy product for a modest fee.

Given his wages and antics last year, there may be flexibility in the valuation. Who knows.
If he stays, I just don’t see him turning into a quality, consistent performer. He’s been here 9 years and scored 83 goals. I can’t think of many players who’ve been at a big club that long and then suddenly turned into a world beater.
There may be a flexibility in his valuation yes, but we don't know. Nobody but the club knows actually. It's just my opinion that Rashford is worth way more than Ugarte. Club might feel differently about it, no question.

I won't hold my breath on him becoming world class all of a sudden either but would be fecking ecstatic if he did as that would only benefit the club. I think I remember only 1 season(probably under Ole) of his where it felt like all of his game was coming together. Sitting defenders on their arse for fun, scoring goals, genuinely being a threat all game instead of blowing hot and cold. I hope to see this Rashford again but he hasn't shown that for a good 2-3 seasons now. Even the season where he scored 30 goals under ETH, his overall game was pretty poor I thought.

Quoting my other post here as that applies but Rashford had good seasons too, way more proven than Ugarte, way more experienced than him. Ugarte isn't worth anything close to £60m. The club has indicated their willingness to entertain offers, but they will only consider substantial bids for Rashford. We acknowledge that he has had some underwhelming seasons; however, we are firm in our stance that we won't part with a proven Premier League player and a valuable academy product for a modest fee.
If a club offered £60 mill today I think Utd would snap their hand off. Yes hes homegrown, but why does that even count when he sporadically performs on the pitch. If he had been at City/Liverpool and played exactly the same, I think he would have been moved on by now, never mind given an undeserved massive pay rise.

Apparently picked up a knock in training, and will miss the game today.

If a club offered £60 mill today I think Utd would snap their hand off. Yes hes homegrown, but why does that even count when he sporadically performs on the pitch. If he had been at City/Liverpool and played exactly the same, I think he would have been moved on by now, never mind given an undeserved massive pay rise.
Maybe, we don't know. But that doesn't mean Ugarte is worth £60m too. He was marginalized at PSG by their new manager so really can't judge his season there fairly, so his good performances have come in the Portuguese league. Yes, he was good for Uruguay but even Pellistri has good performances for them and he isn't close to being a starter for us.

Has he ever had back to back poor seasons? Genuinely curious.

No, his bad two seasons have coincided with the two seasons when the team has been a dysfunctional mess. Every time we get a half decent team around him he performs well.

I do agree with those saying it’s an important season for him though. He’s 27 in October and is one of our most experienced players. No letting his head drop if the team doesn’t perform as well as he hopes, no off-field issues and show encouragement to the group of youngsters we’ve got in. He’s the shining light (talent wise) in our team and he needs to show it.

Maybe, we don't know. But that doesn't mean Ugarte is worth £60m too. He was marginalized at PSG by their new manager so really can't judge his season there fairly, so his good performances have come in the Portuguese league. Yes, he was good for Uruguay but even Pellistri has good performances for them and he isn't close to being a starter for us.
I agree with that personally. I Think £40 mill tops, but thats what they value him at, because thats exactly the fee that Benfica want for Neves. I expect if we left it until August, we may get a reduction as they get desperate. Saying that other teams are reportedly sniffing around as well.

Pretty sure he's talking about his personality. If someone endangers your life, how can you not learn from it but go and do exactly the same to others? Is amnesia an excuse because it happened last…

So because someone crashed into him (where excessive speed wasn’t an issue) he shouldn’t break the speed limit? Ok.

I agree with that personally. I Think £40 mill tops, but thats what they value him at, because thats exactly the fee that Benfica want for Neves. I expect if we left it until August, we may get a reduction as they get desperate. Saying that other teams are reportedly sniffing around as well.
Yea none of those other teams are paying £60m for him. It's just posturing from PSG's end.

No, his bad two seasons have coincided with the two seasons when the team has been a dysfunctional mess. Every time we get a half decent team around him he performs well.

I do agree with those saying it’s an important season for him though. He’s 27 in October and is one of our most experienced players. No letting his head drop if the team doesn’t perform as well as he hopes, no off-field issues and show encouragement to the group of youngsters we’ve got in. He’s the shining light (talent wise) in our team and he needs to show it.
I love the implication that Rashford is some kind of exacting perfectionist with lofty standards that his teammates fail to meet... :lol:

All will be fine if Ten Hag keeps a sense of decorum. Imagine being in the presence of a Demi-god, of such prodigious talent and skill, a living legend, and asking him to remember and execute tactical plans? Imagine demanding, regardless of mood and vibe on the day, that the star should pass the ball to other players, and even TRACK BACK?

I would start Rashford from the bench start of the season. Bring him back to earth a bit. If he thinks hes a surefire starter, then thats when complacency sets in.

The "he can only perform if he have good players around him"-excuse is so bad.

If players could only perform if the team is good, no one would climb the career ladder. How do you reckon people move to better teams? By being better than his teammates, no? If Rashfords teammates are bad, he should shine.

The cream always rises to the top.

Of all the excuses made for Rashford, this is by far the worst.

I’m sure it’s all legit, and he’s unlucky, but “Working like a madman in a personal preseason to be ready” and ‘Has a knock, can’t play any minutes in a friendly’ just a fortnight after, is fecking wild.

I’m sure it’s all legit, and he’s unlucky, but “Working like a madman in a personal preseason to be ready” and ‘Has a knock, can’t play any minutes in a friendly’ just a fortnight after, is fecking wild.

It’s “wild” to get a knock now in training? What the funk is happening to this place? :lol:

New medical team have likely said to the boss that for a pointless friendly, it’s better he gives it a rest before the tour.

“WILD” stuff.

I would start Rashford from the bench start of the season. Bring him back to earth a bit. If he thinks hes a surefire starter, then thats when complacency sets in.

I think it's only logical that Garnacho has the left wing spot and Amad the right wing spot. They're theirs on merit.

I think it's only logical that Garnacho has the left wing spot and Amad the right wing spot. They're theirs on merit.
This is what I'd play too at the start of the season. That being said let's see how pre season goes. If Rashford kicks into form it's entirely possible he plays himself into the first 11.

That being said I'm not hugely keen on Rashford and Garnacho on the wings at the same time. They are both quite selfish players and first instinct is to go for goals rather playing in another player who could be better placed.

Generally I like the idea of Garnacho on the left and Amad on the right. You have inverted wingers in both cases but on the left you have a more direct player who will run at defenders and cause havoc. On the right you have a player who will maintain possession and generally pick the right decision on when to shoot of pass to another player. It's much more balanced in my opinion.

I just have zero faith in him these days. I wish Ineos had made a statement and moved him on. Even if he regains his top form, he’s a liability in other parts of his game which I just don’t think Is conductive to playing for a top side. I’m hoping that this is the season where Garnacho and Amad kick on and make us less reliant on Rashfords hero ball.

Under INEOS im hoping for a patient and considered movement back towards the times when the club is the star of the show and those who aren’t on board get unceremoniously moved on. The emotional rollercoaster that is the Rashford show has got pretty fecking boring now. Next!

Under INEOS im hoping for a patient and considered movement back towards the times when the club is the star of the show and those who aren’t on board get unceremoniously moved on. The emotional rollercoaster that is the Rashford show has got pretty fecking boring now. Next!

I agree with the first part of that statement. I don’t know how much of the supposed rollercoaster is down to Rashford himself though. His form has certainly peaked and troughed, no doubt. But all the drama seems to come from the fans and the media, rather than Marcus himself.

I’d just like us to get back to being a club where standards are really high. Most of the focus on Rashford is because we haven’t had genuine, consistent quality in attacking areas for ages. When he plays well the club does well, when he doesn’t we flounder. Our over reliance on him has been the problem. Having genuine quality, so that people are picked on merit and form is the solution.

Rashy's a bit like the Ryder Cup - turns up every two years.

Might be due an uptick this term?

Some poster called him world class a couple of pages ago, had to read it a few times to make sure it wasn’t my ‘special’ plants messing with my noggin too much..

Sancho being back puts a bit more pressure on him, as theyre both vying for that left wing spot.

Straight swap for Ugarte is nuts. Unless Ugarte is carrying a suitcase with £40 mil in it.