Henry Winter: Rashford spent the summer getting supremely fit, reporting early for training | Wants to stay as he loves the club

Genuinely think he's our worst winger behind Antony and Pellestri. One of the poorest players in our squad who is very lucky that the rest of the team seem to really want to set him up for shots for some reason. I would prioritise getting rid of him over Sancho, Casemiro, McTom, or anyone else.
Come on now. I'm not a fan at all, but this is just silly.

How many left wingers in the big European leagues had 30GA last season out of interest? I’m fairly certain no one managed it in the premier league. Leão and Kvarat didn’t in Italy, Williams didn’t in Spain.

Now, I agree with you that Rashford is a excellent player, so we should have greater expectations, but he’s also playing in a more dysfunctional team. Surely we should be setting realistic targets accordingly? Perhaps 20-25GA would be sensible, subject to seeing how well set up the team is this year?
You keep mentioning the dysfunctional team bit as if Rashford is some victim of his circumstances, when in reality it would appear that he's a major part of that dysfunction.

I think everyone agrees by now that he's not a 300k a week player and that's not down to talent (he had shown in the past of being able to be a 20-30 goals a season winger) but mentality. However the contract had been signed, its a long term contract, no one wants him on this terms and we have to try and make it work. I don't believe for a second that he falls into the 'get rid at all cost' category. What we have to do is to surround him with top quality players were he's not constantly in the spot light anymore. Not everyone is meant to be a Cantona, an Ibra or a Ruud.

I also think talent is an issue, not just mentality in terms of whether he is a £300k player. He has two genuine outstanding parts to his game in my opinion, his acceleration and his runs to break a back line from the wing if there is space. I don't believe he was ever touted as a generational type talent in the youth ranks like a Greenwood, but rather a good talent. He has carried his speed well into adulthood which has served him well. However, even when he arrived into the first team it was clear there were technical gaps (or lets say technical areas that were not that strong), mainly his link up play, play in tight spaces and finishing. Gaps that he hasn't improved that much on. He is a very inconsistent finisher, even in the 2 seasons where he has scored loads of goals he has still displayed an erratic finishing ability.

Outside of finishing, he doesn't seem to have a good small space game in terms of giving and going, intricate patterns, receiving the ball in tight areas etc. Which isn't his game but again highlights how fairly restricted to moves that exploit his pace he really is. If you take away that blistering pace he is a decent pl winger but not much more. His poor mentality just exacerbates those technical gaps. There is no way a player who is potentially world class can have such massive dips so consistently. Its getting to the point where the dips are becoming his normal form and the 2 high scoring seasons the outlier.

My theory with Rashford is the club got giddy and wanted to push him as the next big thing when in reality he was only going to develop into a good player. I belive if we build a team that challenges for premier leagues and champions leagues that Rashford is really only a bench level player in that team.

I think everyone agrees by now that he's not a 300k a week player and that's not down to talent (he had shown in the past of being able to be a 20-30 goals a season winger) but mentality. However the contract had been signed, its a long term contract, no one wants him on this terms and we have to try and make it work. I don't believe for a second that he falls into the 'get rid at all cost' category. What we have to do is to surround him with top quality players were he's not constantly in the spot light anymore. Not everyone is meant to be a Cantona, an Ibra or a Ruud.

That might be true for now. If this season is again subpar for him, 65-70% of the fans will want him sold, and I believe the hierarchy as well will like to move him on.

That might be true for now. If this season is again subpar for him, 65-70% of the fans will want him sold, and I believe the hierarchy as well will like to move him on.

Oh I would want him sold if the fee is right, not because he's shit but because he's not a 300k a week player. Unfortunately it won't happen at least in the short term. Therefore we're better off trying to make it work. Who knows maybe we get another 20 goals a season again which would pave the way for his departure.

I also think talent is an issue, not just mentality in terms of whether he is a £300k player. He has two genuine outstanding parts to his game in my opinion, his acceleration and his runs to break a back line from the wing if there is space. I don't believe he was ever touted as a generational type talent in the youth ranks like a Greenwood, but rather a good talent. He has carried his speed well into adulthood which has served him well. However, even when he arrived into the first team it was clear there were technical gaps (or lets say technical areas that were not that strong), mainly his link up play, play in tight spaces and finishing. Gaps that he hasn't improved that much on. He is a very inconsistent finisher, even in the 2 seasons where he has scored loads of goals he has still displayed an erratic finishing ability.

Outside of finishing, he doesn't seem to have a good small space game in terms of giving and going, intricate patterns, receiving the ball in tight areas etc. Which isn't his game but again highlights how fairly restricted to moves that exploit his pace he really is. If you take away that blistering pace he is a decent pl winger but not much more. His poor mentality just exacerbates those technical gaps. There is no way a player who is potentially world class can have such massive dips so consistently. Its getting to the point where the dips are becoming his normal form and the 2 high scoring seasons the outlier.

My theory with Rashford is the club got giddy and wanted to push him as the next big thing when in reality he was only going to develop into a good player. I belive if we build a team that challenges for premier leagues and champions leagues that Rashford is really only a bench level player in that team.

In terms of pure talent think he's got the tools to be an excellent winger. Unfortunately he doesn't know how to use them. He should try and switch his game rather then constantly cutting inside and try and score the goal himself. Maybe Giggs can come in and give him a talk or two. Meanwhile Ruud can work on his finishing. We need him to score enough goals to start attracting the attention of the top clubs again.

I fully agree with the bolded part. United had always searched for their marketing icon, the one who can sell shirts and put a face to the brand. Rashford was pushed to be that player. It only contributed to put added weight on him that he certainly not capable of carrying. We as fans might or might not agree on how good he is but I think we can all agree that he's incredibly thin skinned. He shouldn't be in the spotlight for his and our sake.

He's not even that fast any more. There were more than a few occasions last season when he couldn't get on the end of through balls, or he was outpaced by a defender in a foot race.
Unfortunately he doesn't offer much else when you take away his strongest attribute.
Any reasonable offer and we should sell.

Genuinely think he's our worst winger behind Antony and Pellestri. One of the poorest players in our squad who is very lucky that the rest of the team seem to really want to set him up for shots for some reason. I would prioritise getting rid of him over Sancho, Casemiro, McTom, or anyone else.
:lol: 12 months ago he had just scored 30 goals in a season and registered 11 assists, and now he's worse than Antony and Pellistri.

One of the bizarre takes I've ever seen on here.

You keep mentioning the dysfunctional team bit as if Rashford is some victim of his circumstances, when in reality it would appear that he's a major part of that dysfunction.

You think Rashford is the reason we played last season with no midfield, suffered horrendously with injuries and generally looked totally uncoached? Specifically in his position, we ended up with him having no support from LB (because of injuries) and a young CF who struggled with hold up play and didn’t exactly link up well with any of his colleagues.

I can agree with you that he didn’t respond as well as I’d have liked to the difficult circumstances but he certainly wasn’t the main cause. If we are better organised this season, with a team better set up (and the signs were encouraging in the Charity Shield) I can see no reason not to expect Rashford to have a very strong season.

:lol: 12 months ago he had just scored 30 goals in a season and registered 11 assists, and now he's worse than Antony and Pellistri.

That's the issue though. It was indeed 12 months ago but with a shit season in the interim.

How long will it take on current form to cut the umbilical cord? 24 months? 36 months?

Hopefully INEOS won't be romanticized over Rashford & will move him if the right price materializes.

That's the issue though. It was indeed 12 months ago but with a shit season in the interim.

How long will it take on current form to cut the umbilical cord? 24 months? 36 months?

Hopefully INEOS won't be romanticized over Rashford & will move him if the right price materializes.
Everyone’s available for the right price. No one is staying if a daft bid comes in. The issue with selling Rashford at the moment is who’s going to replace him and his goals? How much does a winger who scores goals cost and where are they?

Rashford will rightly get this season to prove that last season wasn’t the norm, and if it is then there’s bigger issues which include the manager losing him job due to everyone in the team being shit.

I wish more Man Utd fans would actually get behind the team and support the players at what is about to be the start of the new season…

The amount of “fans” who can’t wait to spout negativity about Rashford after he misses a couple of chances in a glorified friendly. Whether we like it or not, he’s going to be a big part of the squad this season. If you want him to perform, maybe people should lay off hammering him when we’ve not even played our first league game.

I’ve no doubt this will touch a nerve, but I am hoping he will get back to his best this season… and I don’t see how jumping on our player’s backs from the off is going to help. You see exactly the same thing with the hate Luke Shaw is getting right now too. I feel like I am one of a decreasing number that feels optimistic before a new season. The bubble will probably burst, but I can't understand all the negativity around the team and players like Rashford before our first league match of the season.

Now now Rashford is bad but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It is on the coach if he let's him on the field when half arsing his way through the games. Antony, Sancho, Casemiro, McTominay in that order are all way ahead of him in get rid category. Another poor season from Rashford and he gets into top 3 to sell.

Everyone’s available for the right price. No one is staying if a daft bid comes in. The issue with selling Rashford at the moment is who’s going to replace him and his goals? How much does a winger who scores goals cost and where are they?

Rashford will rightly get this season to prove that last season wasn’t the norm, and if it is then there’s bigger issues which include the manager losing him job due to everyone in the team being shit.
I think Rashford will be given one more season to prove he should be kept. If he repeats the same kind of form as last season, he’s likely gone next summer unfortunately. Can’t have your poster boy who wears #10 serving garbage week in week out for 2 years and do nothing about it, would send a wrong message to the rest of the squad and impact the culture reset they’re trying to instill.

His replacement(s)? Garnacho + Amad owning 2 wings by end of next season is not far-fetched. Who knows in a 12 month time, but there are obvious candidates for marquee signing like N. Williams Jr, Kvarat, etc. and I’m sure Ineos will scout the earth to find an adequate replacement/back-up for such an important reinforcement.

All that said, I think Rashford will do significantly better next season than last (hoping for 20 G+A all comps) and we’ll take it from there.

At his bottom level it might be true to be fair. The issue is we don't know what level we'll get with Rashford. I'm sure in the next few seasons he'll have a season reaching high numbers again and it could well be this season.

The complaints with him are justified because we're all judging him compared to his own talent. An inconsistent player is terribly frustrating.

Come on now. I'm not a fan at all, but this is just silly.

Now now Rashford is bad but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It is on the coach if he let's him on the field when half arsing his way through the games. Antony, Sancho, Casemiro, McTominay in that order are all way ahead of him in get rid category. Another poor season from Rashford and he gets into top 3 to sell.

We will see this season I guess. One season can be written off, but two?

Have we never seen a player who looked good suddenly completely lose it and disappear into obscurity before?

To me this is how it looks. I never thought he was a great player, he seemed to get by on enthusiasm and speed often. Once these things are gone, I'm not sure there's a lot left.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect this season to be just like the last one where it felt like playing with ten men.

23/24 - 43 Apps 8G 5A
22/23 - 56 Apps 30G 10A
21/22 - 32 Apps 5G 2A
20/21 - 57 Apps 21G 13A

Lets see which Rashy turns up this season.

Signs are not encouraging in my opinion.
I have pretty low expectations from Rashy.

So when I see him shooting straight into a two men wall and groan loud when the ball doesn't pierce their bodies and go into the net, I am calm.

When he dribbles into two defenders and groans because they took the ball off him immediately, I am calm.

When he stops trying to go for a ball or give up when tracking back, I am calm.

His wages are unhelpful. But whilst it's true he isn't a £300k player, what we put up with - and large numbers of us tolerate and sometimes actively defend - wouldn't be acceptable if he was on 30k a week. Or £3k

He got the spoils and accolades before he achieved anything on the pitch to justify the level of adulation he received. What we've seen is a player who rebels against idea he needs to work hard to continue getting the same reception and coverage. Superstar wages, Soccer Aid effort.

This PR facade of a humble, hardworking, local lad who loves the club is a triumph.

23/24 - 43 Apps 8G 5A
22/23 - 56 Apps 30G 10A
21/22 - 32 Apps 5G 2A
20/21 - 57 Apps 21G 13A

Lets see which Rashy turns up this season.

Seems like a decent proxy for team form. If the United that finishes 2nd / 3rd turns up, he scores a fair bit. Otherwise he's crap. I think he'll score a decent amount if he plays 40+ games. Even against City he would've had two.

All that said, his all-round play is still pretty mediocre and he struts about as if he's prime CR7 on the pitch. The big issue for me is if he keeps Garnacho or Amad out of the team while stinking up the place with poor form. As of right now Amad earned his place and I'd be pissed if he got dropped immediately to accomodate both Rashford and Garnacho.

Have we never seen a player who looked good suddenly completely lose it and disappear into obscurity before?

To me this is how it looks. I never thought he was a great player, he seemed to get by on enthusiasm and speed often. Once these things are gone, I'm not sure there's a lot left.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect this season to be just like the last one where it felt like playing with ten men.
Let's see. I also personally don't expect much from him and think he will decline further. I also think he will not play much as Garnacho and Amad will overtake him on merit.

I agree he was shit last season and is generally overrated, but I’d still take him over Antony any day.

In terms of pure talent think he's got the tools to be an excellent winger. Unfortunately he doesn't know how to use them. He should try and switch his game rather then constantly cutting inside and try and score the goal himself. Maybe Giggs can come in and give him a talk or two. Meanwhile Ruud can work on his finishing. We need him to score enough goals to start attracting the attention of the top clubs again.

I fully agree with the bolded part. United had always searched for their marketing icon, the one who can sell shirts and put a face to the brand. Rashford was pushed to be that player. It only contributed to put added weight on him that he certainly not capable of carrying. We as fans might or might not agree on how good he is but I think we can all agree that he's incredibly thin skinned. He shouldn't be in the spotlight for his and our sake.
He literally never crosses with his left foot.

He’s basically just another Antony… cut inside and run into players while regularly ooofing a shot over the bar

He's still been better than both of them over the last 18 months? And he's not even been good. There's enough obviously wrong with Rashford without talking daft nonsense.
But at least they try, not just sauntering around looking miserable.

I expect Rashford's performances to reflect his pay. Sure, he isn't paid as much as Mbappe. However, he is definitely one of the highest paid players in his position in world football, so his performances and end product need to reflect that. Consistently.
This 100%.

He literally never crosses with his left foot.

He’s basically just another Antony… cut inside and run into players while regularly ooofing a shot over the bar

He's far better then Antony but yes you're right, he never crosses with his left foot. Hence why I would love someone like Giggs to work a bit on him on a 1 to 1 basis. Giggs is a United legend so Rashford would listen to him without going on the defensive, The Welsh wizard is a former LW, he understand the pressure of playing in such key position and he had issues with consistency as well (though nowhere near to that extent). He might persuade him to work harder for the team and switch his game every now and then.

Irrespective of whether someone is Rashy in or Rashy out, its within everyone's interest to have the guy do well in a United shirt. That's how he would justify his 300k a week (Rashy in) and attract suitors willing to pay his salary (Rashy out). Let's focus on solutions then simple criticism/empty praise

Last edited:
Based just on the trends of the past then I'd disagree, he's due 20+ G and double figure A's

bro there is too little pattern to see a trend.

Say, Dow Jones falling on Mon and Wed, raising up on Tue and Thur, doesn't necessarily mean that Dow jones will fall on Friday.
Man utd was 1st - 2nd - 1st -2nd - 1st in the league between 2008 and 2013, would we become 2nd as well in 2013-14? no, we ranked 7th.
likewise, the fact that Rashy had good-bad-good-bad seasons in the past four doesn't necessarily mean that he will have good season this season.

Wish we’d have just moved him on.

It’s not that he isn’t useful - he is. It’s just that it doesn’t matter how shite he’s playing, he guarantees a starting spot. That can’t be good for the morale of players who are warming the bench while he half arses around the pitch.

I don’t know what the feck he’s done to get immunity status, but Ten Hag needs to grow a set of balls and drop him if he’s not performing.

bro there is too little pattern to see a trend.

Say, Dow Jones falling on Mon and Wed, raising up on Tue and Thur, doesn't necessarily mean that Dow jones will fall on Friday.
Man utd was 1st - 2nd - 1st -2nd - 1st in the league between 2008 and 2013, would we become 2nd as well in 2013-14? no, we ranked 7th.
likewise, the fact that Rashy had good-bad-good-bad seasons in the past four doesn't necessarily mean that he will have good season this season.
It also doesn't say he won't, the only trend we have is the good-bad-good-bad if the trend continues he should be good

He's far better then Antony but yes you're right, he never crosses with his left foot. Hence why I would love someone like Giggs to work a bit on him on a 1 to 1 basis. Giggs is a United legend so Rashford would listen to him without going on the defensive, The Welsh wizard is a former LW, he understand the pressure of playing in such key position and he had issues with consistency as well (though nowhere near to that extent). He might persuade him to work harder for the team and switch his game every now and then.

Irrespective of whether someone is Rashy in or Rashy out, its within everyone's interest to have the guy do well in a United shirt. That's how he would justify his 300k a week (Rashy in) and attract suitors willing to pay his salary (Rashy out). Let's focus on solutions then simple criticism/empty praise
Yeah allow a morally bankrupt man back in to the fold, given the reaction to Greenwood, how well do you think that would go down with the fanbase?

Rashford was inches from scoring a few days ago....

listening to Talk of Devils podcast they've commented on Rashford's work rate on tour and at the weekend....

Feels like some fans are sticking to negative narratives in their views and I cant believe the negativity going into our first match of the season

I expect Rashford's performances to reflect his pay. Sure, he isn't paid as much as Mbappe. However, he is definitely one of the highest paid players in his position in world football, so his performances and end product need to reflect that. Consistently.
That cannot happen at a club where the club bends for mildest of player power. You need to show only 6 months of form to get a big money contract extension.

Yeah allow a morally bankrupt man back in to the fold, given the reaction to Greenwood, how well do you think that would go down with the fanbase?

First of all I wouldn't compare what Giggs did to what Greenwood did. Secondly its within everyone's interest to have Rashford's career back on tracks. Finally the club has football experts these days and they should be the once taking football decisions. Do you think SAF gave a feck what the fanbase thought? :Spoiler alert: he didn't.

He has had one great season in the last three and was rightly omitted by Southgate, so he is under massive pressure. Casimero is likewise but looked the part on Saturday. If Sancho is off to PSG on loan for the season, the focus on Marcus will be intense. The good news is that Mainoo has emerged as the local boy made good to replace Marcus from a brand/identity perspective. Moreover, with Ineos pushing the 100k seater stadium there is no reason to doubt that decisions about Marcus will solely be taken from a footballing perspective.