Film Greatest trilogy ever?

LOTR cheated it's way to getting all these (deserved really) nods for this accolade given they filmed it all in one production. The true test is coming back, time and time again, that is why I absolutely respect the Fast series...

I love fantasy but I'm not particularly fond of LOTR. I enjoyed the books when I read them at 12/13 but they were full of filler.

I found the three endings to the last movie torturous. I wanted out of the cinema by the first one and then it just kept going. White out, fade out... Just finish the feckin thing.

But how else are you supposed to close out endings to what is possibly 10(+-) characters?

And honestly, the 'ending' the film already cut out a lot of the actual endings out.

Sam's journey to Valinor, Aragorn and Arwen's death, Merry and Pippin, Eldarion's birth and ascent, Gimli and the glittering caves before building a ship with Legolas to sail etc etc

And it was the right decision because that would have dragged on for another 30 minutes. We got watered down endings compared to the book.

LOTR cheated it's way to getting all these (deserved really) nods for this accolade given they filmed it all in one production. The true test is coming back, time and time again, that is why I absolutely respect the Fast series...

On the flip side, Peter Jackson spent years doing pre-production. He and his people would spend months and years scouring scenery in New Zealand to find perfect locations.

Star Trek 2, 3 and 4
Alien 1-3
Star Wars 4,5 and 6
Rocky 2, 3 and 4
Guardians of the Galaxy
Cornetto Trilogy

But how else are you supposed to close out endings to what is possibly 10(+-) characters?

And honestly, the 'ending' the film already cut out a lot of the actual endings out.

Sam's journey to Valinor, Aragorn and Arwen's death, Merry and Pippin, Eldarion's birth and ascent, Gimli and the glittering caves before building a ship with Legolas to sail etc etc

And it was the right decision because that would have dragged on for another 30 minutes. We got watered down endings compared to the book.

Well you can say that but it won't make me enjoy the movies anymore than I did, be inclined to watch them again, or convince me that 3 hour + movies are ever a good idea.

Three Colours and the Lord of the Rings.

Do the stories need to continue/overlap? If no, then Chan-wook Park's vengeance trilogy is great.

But the answer is clearly LOTR.

LOTR is tough to beat - three films and five endings.

It might not be the greatest trilogy (and Leone didn't even envision them as a trilogy) but the Dollars trilogy would be my favourite, closely followed by Back to the Future.

I'm surprised at how unanimous the love for LOTR is - I definitely love them, but 3 especially is below par. Really struggled to get through it on the last rewatch.

The first film is perfect though.

Yeah the third one is a tough watch. Liked the first and TT was great at the cinema. But I agree with a few others, it's filmed in one go...hardly a proper trilogy. Infernal Affairs us a good trilogy, that said the third isn't a patch on the first two. Days of Being Wild is also great but I've only seen 2046 once...

Lord of the Rings and its not even remotely close. But to add some great trilogies.

Toy Story
Planet of the Apes
Harry Potter (I know there's 8 but they are pretty solid movies except one of them)
Captain America
OG Star Wars

Planet of the apes is a great shout. The new trilogy is very strong.

Lord of the Rings and its not even remotely close. But to add some great trilogies.

Toy Story
Planet of the Apes
Harry Potter (I know there's 8 but they are pretty solid movies except one of them)
Captain America
OG Star Wars

Another good shout!

Since we accept any three movies

Lord of the Rings
Bourne trilogy
Wong Kar-wai's Love trilogy or whatever it's called
Dollar trilogy
Before trilogy
Planet of the apes trilogy (the new one)
Bergman Trilogy (if that counts)

Second handover movie is trash. Same for Oceans 12.

If you make a Vegas movie don’t try and make it work somewhere else.

Very true but the 1st and 3rd movies more than make up for the 2nd in both trilogies.

People saying Dark Knight Rises is shit and then citing LOTR...
I mean, it's fine to think whatever one thinks of Return of the King, but calling it great is like the least controversial opinion ever. I don't think it's the best (prefer both FOTR and TTT) but it's considered the best by a majority I'd say.

Bit surprised at all the LOTR nominations. They were decent but they're kids movies, right? Actually, I think kids movies that know they’re kids movies are fine (Toy Story trilogy) but I don’t think any movie can be great if it’s a kids movie that is also obviously aimed at adults. See also Batman, Star Wars etc That's when the pressure to appeal to as broad a market as possible starts to impact on quality. Test screenings and suggestions from Jeff in Marketing. All that crap.

Godfather is the most obvious choice. Third one was flawed but still pretty fecking goood.

Last edited:
I mean, it's fine to think whatever one thinks of Return of the King, but calling it great is like the least controversial opinion ever. I don't think it's the best (prefer both FOTR and TTT) but it's considered the best by a majority I'd say.
I was being tongue in cheek about it ;)

But is it really considered the best by anyone?! It's miles below the first two (and even the Two Towers is already a step down from Fellowship).

Bit surprised at all the LOTR nominations. They were decent but they're kids movies, right? Actually, I think kids movies that know they’re kids movies are fine (Toy Story trilogy) but I don’t think any movie can be great if it’s a kids movie that is also obviously aimed at adults. See also Batman, Star Wars etc That's when the pressure to appeal to as broad a market as possible starts to impact on quality. Test screenings and suggestions from Jeff in Marketing. All that crap.

Godfather is the most obvious choice. Third one was flawed but still pretty fecking goood.
He's gone too far this time.

There's huge difference between Kids movies and Nerds movies. You just need to read the Rings of Power thread to understand that.

Since we accept any three movies

Lord of the Rings
Bourne trilogy
Wong Kar-wai's Love trilogy or whatever it's called
Dollar trilogy
Before trilogy
Planet of the apes trilogy (the new one)
Bergman Trilogy (if that counts)
Good shout, forgot about those.

I was being tongue in cheek about it ;)

But is it really considered the best by anyone?! It's miles below the first two (and even the Two Towers is already a step down from Fellowship).
Well, I do agree with the order of the films but yes, there's a lot of people who considers the third one the best. It's generally polling ahead of the other two on big movie sites.

How is the "Cornetto trilogy" a trilogy?

It's films with totally different characters and completely different stories.

Does having the same actors/writer/director make something a trilogy?

Is Stepbrothers / Talladega Nights and The Other Guys a trilogy because they have the same actor/writer/director?

Is Stepbrothers / Talladega Nights and The Other Guys a trilogy because they have the same actor/writer/director?

I agree the trilogy rules are out of control in this thread

First 2 good , 3rd was just dreadful

I’m sorry, this is an insane take! The 3rd runs the first close as possibly the best one. It’s the second that is relatively mediocre.

Though Die Hard kinda has to be filed alongside Indiana Jones as films that aren’t really trilogies anymore.

The new Apes films could potentially avoid this as the new one doesn’t contain any characters from the first 3.

Things with a crap 3rd entry or stand alone stories shouldn’t count IMO as otherwise where’s the challenge?

I agree the trilogy rules are out of control in this thread

I've let you all down :(