Film Greatest trilogy ever?

It's the LOTR trilogy.

But for a left-field shout I'd put weight behind the Bourne Triolgy - they're 3 excellent films and the standard remains constant throughout.

Also, if we're talking "kids" movies I'd say I actually prefer the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy over the Toy Story trilogy.

But yeah, the actual answer is still Lord of the Rings.

Gremlins, to be overtaken by Short Circuit if they ever made a 3rd one.

Also, would anyone count Mission Impossible 4, 5 and 6 as a trilogy? They seem to have a more similar/distinct style over the first 3, with many charcters returning etc.

Even the latest one felt a bit differnt from those three (despite it being a McQ film like 5 and 6)

Yeah nothing comes close to LOTR as a trilogy.

A few good shoutouts in this thread, but LOTR trilogy is by far the best “trilogy“

Lord of the Rings and its not even remotely close. But to add some great trilogies.

Toy Story
Planet of the Apes
Harry Potter (I know there's 8 but they are pretty solid movies except one of them)
Captain America
OG Star Wars

I've never seen Toy Story. I know... shoot me.

Given all 3 LotR movies were shot simultaneously, do they really count? They're essentially 1 movie cut into three parts (just as the book was). May need to DQ them on a technicality to give the other options a fighting chance.

Given all 3 LotR movies were shot simultaneously, do they really count? They're essentially 1 movie cut into three parts (just as the book was). May need to DQ them on a technicality to give the other options a fighting chance.

"That still only counts as one!"

- Gimli Salt Bailly

I'm surprised at how unanimous the love for LOTR is - I definitely love them, but 3 especially is below par. Really struggled to get through it on the last rewatch.

The first film is perfect though.

They weren't completely shot back to back, there was extensive additional shooting prior to each sequel, and the editing and score were being done right to the last minute. Plus they made some stuff up for the Two Towers so it had more of a traditional climax. Definitely three separate films.

The Bourne Trilogy gets an honourable mention from me.

I'm surprised at how unanimous the love for LOTR is - I definitely love them, but 3 especially is below par. Really struggled to get through it on the last rewatch.

The first film is perfect though.
I don't usually place too much value on awards, but calling a movie with 11 Oscar wins on 11 nominations (including Best Picture) "below par" is quite something. Or maybe it's just setting par extremely high.

That being said, I agree that the first one is the best.

I don't usually place too much value on awards, but calling a movie with 11 Oscar wins on 11 nominations (including Best Picture) "below par" is quite something. Or maybe it's just setting par extremely high.

That being said, I agree that the first one is the best.
I place very little value to the oscars, and I think it's weird that the weakest of the 3 got so many. I mean it certainly deserved most of the technical ones, but looking at some of the nominees, I feel there must have been massive lobbying for ROTK.

I place very little value to the oscars, and I think it's weird that the weakest of the 3 got so many. I mean it certainly deserved most of the technical ones, but looking at some of the nominees, I feel there must have been massive lobbying for ROTK.
I think it's that it rounds off the trilogy and that it has the most spectacle and elaborate battle sequences. And to be fair, it also has some incredible character and emotional moments.

The criticism most often directed at Return of the King is that it has too many endings, but I don't fully agree with that. Most of the stuff that happens after the ring is destroyed is necessary to wrap up 9 hours of storytelling.

No love for the Millenium trilogy? Solid set of movies.

To the original question, LOTR by far.

The Bourne Trilogy gets an honourable mention from me.
Good shout! All I could think of was the obvious ones, LoTR and Star Wars. Back to the Future up there, too.

Indiana Jones, Toy Story.

I’d also go for Matrix. The latter two aren’t as great as the original, but I still enjoy them.

Actually more good trilogies than I initially thought, but my favourite, if I had to choose, would be The Dark Knight films.

LOTR unless you hate fantasy.

I love fantasy but I'm not particularly fond of LOTR. I enjoyed the books when I read them at 12/13 but they were full of filler.

I found the three endings to the last movie torturous. I wanted out of the cinema by the first one and then it just kept going. White out, fade out... Just finish the feckin thing.

This thread explains why so many of you are obsessed with Andrew Tate.