Film Greatest trilogy ever?

LOTR
3 Colours Blue/White/Red
Alien/Aliens/Alien 3 (3 almost stuffed it)
Godfather Trilogy (3 almost stuffed it)
Star Wars (1st 3)
Blade Runner (original cinematic release)/Blade Runner (Final Cut)/Blade Runner 2049 (cheating I know)
Mad Max 1/2/3

So many others where the third film is so shit. Which is a shame.

Captain America: the first Avenger

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Captain America: Civil War
Wanna know the "German" release titles?

Captain America: The First Avenger
The Return of the First Avenger
The First Avenger: Civil War

Does the Cornetto trilogy count?

The difference in quality between the LOTR trilogy and all the other shite Peter Jackson has ever made baffles me so much.

LOTR
3 Colours Blue/White/Red
Alien/Aliens/Alien 3 (3 almost stuffed it)
Godfather Trilogy (3 almost stuffed it)
Star Wars (1st 3)
Blade Runner (original cinematic release)/Blade Runner (Final Cut)/Blade Runner 2049 (cheating I know)
Mad Max 1/2/3

So many others where the third film is so shit. Which is a shame.
Wasn't there a joke about this in X-Men Apocalypse, the third in the Fassbender/ McAvoy prequel series, where characters come out of Return of the Jedi asking why the third film in trilogies are always damp squibs?
Ironically, Apocalypse was slated too.

Not a true trilogy but still considered one:

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

they aren't my favorite movies, but Bourne 1-2-3 are probably the best modern action movies without superheroes or wizards.

LOTR and the original Star Wars trilogy stand about all others. I loved the Indianna Jones films back when there were three of them too, although even then I'm not sure if it counts as a trilogy, since the middle one is a prequel and none of them are really that connected.

On a side note, I watched Glass the other week and only found out it was the conclusion of a trilogy days afterwards. Watched Unbreakable next, but then Split (the middle one) is nowhere to be found for some reason. So now I have just the starting and ending thirds of a trilogy in my brain -backwards - and I don't like it.

But the 3rd Nolan Batman film is absolutely shite.
it's dire, definitely got the feeling Nolan et al were contractually obliged to do it and phoned it in.

The amount of plot holes and lazy writing is insane.

The amount of plot holes and lazy writing is insane.

After rewatching them I think the first two are kind of weak as well...

But the third is next level bad. Talking to my Nolan/Batman-loving friends after that film was really awkward. It was kind of like after the final season of Lost, except worse :lol:

The difference in quality between the LOTR trilogy and all the other shite Peter Jackson has ever made baffles me so much.
Stuff he made before it is one of the reasons the trilogy came out so well. Stuff afterwards is him on Blockbuster Brain (and cocaine).

Stuff he made before it is one of the reasons the trilogy came out so well. Stuff afterwards is him on Blockbuster Brain (and cocaine).

He's super short too, so the cocaine is bound to hit him harder. That's just science.

51-2MJCIr8L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

I mean this is the ultimate trilogy isn't it?

Yeah, the Before trilogy would be my answer too based on consistency over three movies. Don’t think Toy Story can be considered a proper trilogy anymore, Godfather 3 is not good enough (and the second one is vastly overrated), the Dollars trilogy is a bit different. That leaves pretty much just LOTR, which for me are not quite as good as the Before films.

His debut zombie movies definitely made him an outstanding candidate for the lotr trilogy.

Nostalgia is the only reason anyone would say Star Wars. I watched a new hope and empire as an adult and they were laughably mediocre.. didn't bother with the 3rd one

Alien 1-3.

The first two are masterpieces of the sci-fi genre but I also liked Alien 3- there's something wonderfully grim and nihilistic about it. A very flawed film but unique.

Godfather, although the third wasn't great the first 2 were so sublime it outweighs the third imo.
That's how I feel too. Of course the third one is below the other 2, and is a weird film altogether really, but it still has some nice moments. And the first 2 are cinema pantheon, which make it enough (for me) to be considered as part of the best trilogies.
Excellent shout.
Does the Cornetto trilogy count?
Should do, considering the wonky rules that determine a trilogy!
No Die Hard love?
Good shout too, 1-3 are top.
Alien 1-3.

The first two are masterpieces of the sci-fi genre but I also liked Alien 3- there's something wonderfully grim and nihilistic about it. A very flawed film but unique.
I agree, I absolutely love Alien 3 actually. Probably the most flawed of them all but my favourite after Alien.

American Pie.
Had many memorable moments as a teen

Looking back, I was I was named Jim just to add to the effects
I can never get tired of American Pie films. We used to watch them at my mates house before heading out into town, every week pretty much.