Geopolitics

If you look around the world, the democracies are a small minority of countries - and most of the democracies outside Europe were once part of the British Empire (the USA, Canada, India, Australia, Jamaica, New Zealand etc etc). Dismissing this as mere coincidence doesn't hold water.

That just isn't true.

Also, though democracies are in the minority, depending on how you define it they're not a small minority.

Unless your point is that being under the thumb of GB caused us to strive to create a better government than the shit we watch you pull then I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I'm saying that the USA would likely not be a democracy today if it had been colonised by Russia or China or Japan or any number of other countries. Many of the principles that have shaped your legal system (e.g. trial by jury of peers, habeas corpus, etc) and various other pillars that support democracy (e.g. a free press, elections by secret ballot, etc) were imported from Britain, a nation that has by far been the biggest single influence on America's politico-legal and philosophical evolution.

That just isn't true.

Also, though democracies are in the minority, depending on how you define it they're not a small minority.

It is true. And nor have you provided any evidence to disprove it.

Full democracies comprise only 6.4% of the global population, according to Wiki. That's small in anyone's book.

Britain declared war on Germany when the latter invaded Poland. We did so because of a mutual defence treaty obligation with Poland. Your tired old argument is just more "what-about-ism" - e.g. what about Germany's prior annexations of territory, and what about Hitler being in power for 6 years prior to that? This "what about-ism" assumes that Britain had the ability to right all wrongs everywhere (we didn't), but chose not to do that ... tho' you don't say how Britain could have removed Hitler from power (presumably by waving some imaginary magic wand).

Britain fought in WWII for a combination of reasons: to honour a treaty obligation, for national survival against huge odds, to resist tyranny, and to try and stop Hitler from conquering all of Europe. For a long while we stood alone against Hitler, and the nation suffered terribly. but all this is lost in your cynicism and "what-about-ism".

Re. India, many nations still have not reached democracy, so what's your evidence for assuming that India would have reached democracy anyway? If you look around the world, the democracies are a small minority of countries - and most of the democracies outside Europe were once part of the British Empire (the USA, Canada, India, Australia, Jamaica, New Zealand etc etc). Dismissing this as mere coincidence doesn't hold water.

Re. China and Taiwan, it's a different situation to Ukraine. Firstly, China has only a small fraction of the number of nuclear weapons that Russia has. Second, Taiwan does not share a land border with China (unlike Ukraine with Russia and Byelorussia). Third, Taiwan has never been under the rule of the Chinese Communist Party, unlike Ukraine which was for a while part of the Communist-ruled USSR. You can assume, if you wish, that the world's democracies would not intervene to stop a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, but that would be shaky assumption that I suspect China won't share.

Re. trade with China, I haven't said that the West is - as you put it - "pure". I've already said that this trade benefits and strengthens the West, even if it also benefits China. As for rest, it's just more what-aboutism - as if the West has the capacity to right all wrongs (e.g. the oppression of the Uyghers), when we don't.

Far from perfect as it is, if the West didn't exist then the world would be ruled by China and Russia, and totalitarianism would be everywhere. Your cynicism palls into insignificance in the face of this bedrock reality.

There we go, at least we have a slightly more nuanced debate now. We've moved away from the silly Team America feck yeah 'global fight between tyranny and democracy' regarding the reasons and actually looking at the real reasons we went to war.

I am merely pushing your argument to its logical conclusion and have directly quoted you whilst doing so. If we fight injustice so regularly, one would have to ask why we didn't fight the injustice of Anschluss? Of Czechoslovakia? Of Klaipeda? I presume we would have removed him in the same way we eventually did with the rest of Europe and the USA? After all, we're locked in this death struggle right?

You keep on using 'whataboutism' without any real understanding of my position, or a wilful ignorance. I've already said repeatedly that I'd personally prefer to live in a world where the 'dominant' block is Western, if a domination needs to exist. I've argued extensively with a certain poster regarding his views on propaganda in these different countries. I will similarly call out your equally silly views though on things like why the West goes to war or your frankly insulting posts about India.

I don't say India would definitely have reached democracy. In fact, I very explicitly said I don't know whether they would have had a democracy or not. What I'm saying is that its offensive and presumptuous to say that its the only reason they have a form of democracy. A few points for you here on the countries outside Europe. Firstly, at its height, the UK had conquered roughly 1 in 4 of those countries. The other European countries roughly shared out the others. Australia, NZ, Canada and USA are essentially extensions of Europe; the Europeans went, they pillaged, they massacred and mostly wiped out local populations. Most of the dictatorships around the world were also once under British and other European empire rule. Coincidence? See how we can both play this game?

Is 350 nuclear weapons not enough then to flatten pretty much all the European and North American major cities? And what do points 2 and 3 have to do with whether Europeans would be willing to go and fight over Taiwan?

It isn't whataboutism. I am very literally quoting your own posts back to you. You stated that we are in a global struggle between democracy and tyranny. Great. You then went on to state that we are not only in a normal struggle but an existential struggle between freedom and oppression (and rightly name dropped China directly in this group). We apparently need to face this struggle face on. Great, I'm totally on board, let's crush those fascists! Do we normally trade with and enrich those we're in an existential struggle with? If so, I think we may have slightly different definitions of what existential struggle means.

As someone else has said, your characteristic zeal when it comes to football posting doesn't translate quite so well when talking about current events and geopolitics.

Full democracies comprise only 6.4% of the global population, according to Wiki. That's small in anyone's book.

Here is the table with the results:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

The worst thing about this table is that most countries are getting worse. Correction: almost all countries are getting worse in the past 10 years. This is very sad.

Last edited:

It depends on how you're measuring it really.

From the democracy index (which I assume is the source you're using), there's 74 full and flawed democracies and 59 authoritarian regimes. 34 hybrid regimes in the middle.

In other words, democracy was ultimately part of the British legacy.

I don’t know anything about Jamaica, but I’d argue in the case of India democracy was ultimately the legacy of those Indians who struggled first for a greater measure of representation and equality within the British imperial system and then against British rule altogether, full equality being shown to be impossible for Indians under British rule. There wasn’t a “semblance of democracy” as you put it that wasn’t produced by these struggles.

The 6.4 % is irrelevant, that's just "full democracies" and we know that's not what you're talking about. Out of the non-European democracies, you mentioned the US, Canada, India, Australia, Jamaica and New Zealand. Out of those six countries, we have 3 full democracies and 3 flawed democracies, so we have to group them together. That gives us 45.7 % of the global population living in democracies, certainly not a small minority.

Related to the discussion on this page, an interesting article from The Atlantic

What was the Second World War about? According to Allied leaders, that wasn’t a hard question. “This is a fight between a free world and a slave world,” U.S. Vice President Henry Wallace explained. It is “between Nazidom and democracy,” Winston Churchill said, with “tyranny” on one side and “liberal, peaceful” powers on the other.

Would that it were so simple. The Allies’ inclusion of the Soviet Union—“a dictatorship as absolute as any dictatorship in the world,” Franklin D. Roosevelt once called it—muddied the waters. But the other chief Allies weren’t exactly liberal democracies, either. Britain, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, the United States, and (depending on how you view Tibet and Mongolia) China were all empires. Together, they held, by my count, more than 600 million people—more than a quarter of the world—in colonial bondage.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/world-war-ii-empire-colonialism/629371/

There we go, at least we have a slightly more nuanced debate now. We've moved away from the silly Team America feck yeah 'global fight between tyranny and democracy' regarding the reasons and actually looking at the real reasons we went to war.

I am merely pushing your argument to its logical conclusion and have directly quoted you whilst doing so. If we fight injustice so regularly, one would have to ask why we didn't fight the injustice of Anschluss? Of Czechoslovakia? Of Klaipeda? I presume we would have removed him in the same way we eventually did with the rest of Europe and the USA? After all, we're locked in this death struggle right?

You keep on using 'whataboutism' without any real understanding of my position, or a wilful ignorance. I've already said repeatedly that I'd personally prefer to live in a world where the 'dominant' block is Western, if a domination needs to exist. I've argued extensively with a certain poster regarding his views on propaganda in these different countries. I will similarly call out your equally silly views though on things like why the West goes to war or your frankly insulting posts about India.

I don't say India would definitely have reached democracy. In fact, I very explicitly said I don't know whether they would have had a democracy or not. What I'm saying is that its offensive and presumptuous to say that its the only reason they have a form of democracy. A few points for you here on the countries outside Europe. Firstly, at its height, the UK had conquered roughly 1 in 4 of those countries. The other European countries roughly shared out the others. Australia, NZ, Canada and USA are essentially extensions of Europe; the Europeans went, they pillaged, they massacred and mostly wiped out local populations. Most of the dictatorships around the world were also once under British and other European empire rule. Coincidence? See how we can both play this game?

Is 350 nuclear weapons not enough then to flatten pretty much all the European and North American major cities? And what do points 2 and 3 have to do with whether Europeans would be willing to go and fight over Taiwan?

It isn't whataboutism. I am very literally quoting your own posts back to you. You stated that we are in a global struggle between democracy and tyranny. Great. You then went on to state that we are not only in a normal struggle but an existential struggle between freedom and oppression (and rightly name dropped China directly in this group). We apparently need to face this struggle face on. Great, I'm totally on board, let's crush those fascists! Do we normally trade with and enrich those we're in an existential struggle with? If so, I think we may have slightly different definitions of what existential struggle means.

As someone else has said, your characteristic zeal when it comes to football posting doesn't translate quite so well when talking about current events and geopolitics.

I keep talking about your "what-aboutism" because you constantly resort to this as a deflection, as your above post continues to do.

I can't help it if you don't see that there is today an existential struggle going on between the forces of freedom/democracy vs tyranny and oppression. It's not black and white, it's not purity vs impurity, but it exists nonetheless. Cynicism and muddled-headedness about this in the West is precisely what the forces of tyranny and oppression look to foster.

It is not insulting to state that democracy in India is a legacy of British rule. I've already listed several other nations where the same thing applies - is it therefore an insult to Australia, or Canada (etc etc)? Your problem seems to be an insistence that nothing good emerged from the British empire, whilst I am perfectly willing to admit the bad things that it also entailed.

As for the rest, I've been talking about the British empire, not the empires established by other European nations. Your dragging other empires into the discussion, in an attempt to muddy the waters, is irrelevant to what I've been saying.

People say Stalin was a bad guy but if you really think about it, if he hadn't of staved all those Ukrainian peasants in the 1930's then Ukraine wouldn't be the democracy it is today.

I keep talking about your "what-aboutism" because you constantly resort to this as a deflection, as your above post continues to do.

I can't help it if you don't see that there is today an existential struggle going on between the forces of freedom/democracy vs tyranny and oppression. It's not black and white, it's not purity vs impurity, but it exists nonetheless. Cynicism and muddled-headedness about this in the West is precisely what the forces of tyranny and oppression look to foster.

It is not insulting to state that democracy in India is a legacy of British rule. I've already listed several other nations where the same thing applies - is it therefore an insult to Australia, or Canada (etc etc)? Your problem seems to be an insistence that nothing good emerged from the British empire, whilst I am perfectly willing to admit the bad things that it also entailed.

As for the rest, I've been talking about the British empire, not the empires established by other European nations. Your dragging other empires into the discussion, in an attempt to muddy the waters, is irrelevant to what I've been saying.

Out of interest, what exactly do you think I am deflecting from?

I'm asking you, if there is an existential struggle between democracy and oppression, why we are still trading with China and why we have been doing so for decades? You yourself listed China alongside Russia in your posts? I haven't even said there isn't a struggle?

It is insulting to say that it is the only reason because the very clear implication there is that Indians would not have been able to reach that stage by themselves. I've not talked about the merits or drawbacks of the British empire as a general point.

Again, what waters am I muddying? My point is that it is almost impossible to know how the countries under British rule would have developed without British rule, just as it would be to do so for the Spanish/French/Portugese/Ottoman/Russian empires etc. The reason for that is that because you can literally count the number of countries which managed to avoid being colonised by those countries on one hand. There are no adequate controls.

Jamaica was a British colony from 1707 to 1962. Full adult suffrage has been in Jamaica since 1944.
Now to be fair, we didn't even have full adult suffrage in the UK for the majority of that time either!

I don’t know anything about Jamaica, but I’d argue in the case of India democracy was ultimately the legacy of those Indians who struggled first for a greater measure of representation and equality within the British imperial system and then against British rule altogether, full equality being shown to be impossible for Indians under British rule. There wasn’t a “semblance of democracy” as you put it that wasn’t produced by these struggles.

I'm sorry, but democracy does not just emerge as a natural consequence of a struggle for independence from colonialism, as countless countries have discovered. For democracy to take root there has to be an establishment and acceptance of the basic pillars of democracy - a free press, an independent judiciary, secret ballots, the very concept of elected government, limited terms of office, etc etc. Many of these essential ideas came from Britain and were absorbed over a long period of time.

Moreover, power was handed back to India peacefully in the end - it was not the result of a violent revolution. Indeed, one of the reasons the transition was delayed was for fear of widespread violence breaking out between Hindus and Muslims once Britain had left - violence that did indeed begin afterwards on a massive scale.

Laugh if you wish, but what I said is true. Just as it's true for all the other nations I cited.
Yeah it isn't. The democratic rights Jamaica has got just like everywhere is going to mass organisation of workers against the British empire.
The Great Depression and worker protests
The Great Depression caused sugar prices to slump in 1929 and led to the return of many Jamaicans. Economic stagnation, discontent with unemployment, low wages, high prices, and poor living conditions caused social unrest in the 1930s. Uprisings in Jamaica began on the Frome Sugar Estate in the western parish of Westmoreland and quickly spread east to Kingston. Jamaica, in particular, set the pace for the region in its demands for economic development from British colonial rule.

Because of disturbances in Jamaica and the rest of the region, the British in 1938 appointed the Moyne Commission. An immediate result of the Commission was the Colonial Development Welfare Act, which provided for the expenditure of approximately Ł1 million a year for twenty years on coordinated development in the British West Indies. Concrete actions, however, were not implemented to deal with Jamaica’s massive structural problems.

New unions and parties
The rise of nationalism, as distinct from island identification or desire for self-determination, is generally dated to the 1938 labour riots that affected both Jamaica and the islands of the Eastern Caribbean. William Alexander Bustamante, a moneylender in the capital city of Kingston who had formed the Jamaica Trade Workers and Tradesmen Union (JTWTU) three years earlier, captured the imagination of the black masses with his messianic personality, even though he himself was light-skinned, affluent, and aristocratic. Bustamante emerged from the 1938 strikes and other disturbances as a populist leader and the principal spokesperson for the militant urban working class, and in that year, using the JTWTU as a stepping stone, he founded the Bustamante Industrial Trade Union (BITU), which inaugurated Jamaica’s workers movement.

A distant cousin of Bustamante’s, Norman W. Manley, concluded as a result of the 1938 riots that the real basis for national unity in Jamaica lay in the masses. Unlike the union-oriented Bustamante, however, Manley was more interested in access to control over state power and political rights for the masses. On 18 September 1938, he inaugurated the People’s National Party (PNP), which had begun as a nationalist movement supported by the mixed-race middle class and the liberal sector of the business community with leaders who were highly educated members of the upper middle class. The 1938 riots spurred the PNP to unionise labour, although it would be several years before the PNP formed major labour unions. The party concentrated its earliest efforts on establishing a network both in urban areas and in banana-growing rural parishes, later working on building support among small farmers and in areas of bauxite mining.

The PNP adopted a socialist ideology in 1940 and later joined the Socialist International, allying itself formally with the social democratic parties of Western Europe. Guided by socialist principles, Manley was not a doctrinaire socialist. PNP socialism during the 1940s was similar to British Labour Party ideas on state control of the factors of production, equality of opportunity, and a welfare state, although a left-wing element in the PNP held more orthodox Marxist views and worked for the internationalisation of the trade union movement through the Caribbean Labour Congress. In those formative years of Jamaican political and union activity, relations between Manley and Bustamante were cordial. Manley defended Bustamante in court against charges brought by the British for his labour activism in the 1938 riots and looked after the BITU during Bustamante’s imprisonment.

Bustamante had political ambitions of his own, however. In 1942, while still incarcerated, he founded a political party to rival the PNP, called the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP). The new party, whose leaders were of a lower class than those of the PNP, was supported by conservative businessmen and 60,000 dues-paying BITU members, who encompassed dock and sugar plantation workers and other unskilled urban labourers. On his release in 1943, Bustamante began building up the JLP. Meanwhile, several PNP leaders organised the leftist-oriented Trade Union Congress (TUC). Thus, from an early stage in modern Jamaica, unionised labour was an integral part of organised political life.

For the next quarter century, Bustamante and Manley competed for centre stage in Jamaican political affairs, the former espousing the cause of the “barefoot man”; the latter, “democratic socialism,” a loosely defined political and economic theory aimed at achieving a classless system of government. Jamaica’s two founding fathers projected quite different popular images. Bustamante, lacking even a high school diploma, was an autocratic, charismatic, and highly adept politician; Manley was an athletic, Oxford-trained lawyer, Rhodes scholar, humanist, and liberal intellectual. Although considerably more reserved than Bustamante, Manley was well liked and widely respected. He was also a visionary nationalist who became the driving force behind the crown colony’s quest for independence.

Following the 1938 disturbances in the West Indies, London sent the Moyne Commission to study conditions in the British Caribbean territories. Its findings led in the early 1940s to better wages and a new constitution. Issued on 20 November 1944, the Constitution modified the crown colony system and inaugurated limited self-government based on the Westminster model of government and universal adult suffrage. It also embodied the island’s principles of ministerial responsibility and the rule of law. Thirty-one percent of the population participated in the 1944 elections. The JPL – helped by its promises to create jobs, its practice of dispensing public funds in pro-JLP parishes, and the PNP’s relatively radical platform – won an 18 percent majority of the votes over the PNP, as well as 22 seats in the 32-member House of Representatives, with 5 going to the PNP and 5 to other short-lived parties. In 1945 Bustamante took office as Jamaica’s first premier (the pre-independence title for head of government).

Under the new charter, the British governor, assisted by the six-member Privy Council and ten-member Executive Council, remained responsible solely to the crown. The Jamaican Legislative Council became the upper house, or Senate, of the bicameral Parliament. House members were elected by adult suffrage from single-member electoral districts called constituencies. Despite these changes, ultimate power remained concentrated in the hands of the governor and other high officials.

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/jamaica/history-of-jamaica/

This is like someone saying ''freedom'' and democracy was ultimately part of american slave system because it lead to the american civil war and the the civil rights movement in the 60's.

Now to be fair, we didn't even have full adult suffrage in the UK for the majority of that time either!
Yep. To claim one of the ''positives'' of the British empire lead is the democracy we have in westminster today would also just rubbish.

one would have to ask why we didn't fight the injustice of Anschluss? Of Czechoslovakia? Of Klaipeda?
That would be the obvious combination of the policy of appeasement, the psychological effect of WW1, and the effects of the Great Depression on military readiness.

Even if there had been the will to go to war over the Sudetenland, neither France nor Britain were anywhere near able to militarily.

If we fight injustice so regularly, one would have to ask why we didn't fight the injustice of Anschluss? Of Czechoslovakia? Of Klaipeda?

Was there any injustice in the Anschluss? One could argue that the injustice came out of Versailles and St. Germain.

You're not seriously putting India in the same category as Canada and Australia, are you? In India, the Brits established a suppressive rule over the native population, which they otherwise left (mostly) untouched. In Canada and Australia, they murdered and displaced large parts of the native populations, essentially removing them from the equation and creating instead local copies of Britain, existing of and ruled for and by the colonial white population. Not the same at all.

Also, since you seem to think Britain is the unique global birthplace of democracy: many North American Indigenous groups had a very strong form of direct democracy to run their society. With democracy coming in many shapes and forms, those pre-existing democracies were much more democratic than the riding-based Westminster system that ended up replacing them. Not quite progress.

Out of interest, what exactly do you think I am deflecting from?

I'm asking you, if there is an existential struggle between democracy and oppression, why we are still trading with China and why we have been doing so for decades? You yourself listed China alongside Russia in your posts? I haven't even said there isn't a struggle?

It is insulting to say that it is the only reason because the very clear implication there is that Indians would not have been able to reach that stage by themselves. I've not talked about the merits or drawbacks of the British empire as a general point.

Again, what waters am I muddying? My point is that it is almost impossible to know how the countries under British rule would have developed without British rule, just as it would be to do so for the Spanish/French/Portugese/Ottoman/Russian empires etc. The reason for that is that because you can literally count the number of countries which managed to avoid being colonised by those countries on one hand. There are no adequate controls.

You're trying to deflecting from the notion that Britain is a democracy that, when push comes to shove, has mostly stood on the right side of history in terms of fostering democracy and opposing tyranny - at least as much as any nation has done so, and far more than most.

I've answered your question about trade with China several times already: trade benefits us as well as them (so you might just as well ask China why they are strengthening the West) and, moreover, being in an existential struggle does not have to mean immediately declaring war on China, which you seem to imagine it does.

It's insulting to India to suggest that Britain established the principles of democracy in Indian culture? Is it also insulting to India to mention their dreadful caste system? Should I refrain from mentioning the increasingly authoritarian nature of Modi's government? Is it insulting to condemn Modi's refusal to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

No, what's truly insulting and patronising to India is the notion that some things must be pussy-footed around or not mentioned all, presumably in the name of "de-colonisation". Some great things have come from India, and some great things have come from Britain, and there is no good reason to avoid talking about them.

How many democracies emerged from the Russian empire, or the Ottoman empire, or the French empire (etc)? I'll let you answer that.

Yeah, I didn't use it, nor had I heard of it. I used "micrological/macrological", which are very common distinctions in all social sciences and some natural science

Yes, because Russia exists outside NATO and is largely the reason NATO continued to exist when it had no mandate for existence post-1991. But I agree. Still, the US/EU have taken the Ukrainian flag as their own. It becomes nationalism by proxy imo. Also why I find the side-taking idea to be counterintuitive (among many other reasons). A condemnation of Russia becomes a proclamation of support for the US/EU/NATO; as, in some contexts, does support for Ukraine. I can do without that. I'll condemn Russia apriori for its invasion but I'm not going to repeat it continuously when it should be taken as given once already stated.
Yes, because Russia exists outside NATO and is largely the reason NATO continued to exist when it had no mandate for existence post-1991. But I agree. Still, the US/EU have taken the Ukrainian flag as their own. It becomes nationalism by proxy imo. Also why I find the side-taking idea to be counterintuitive (among many other reasons). A condemnation of Russia becomes a proclamation of support for the US/EU/NATO; as, in some contexts, does support for Ukraine. I can do without that. I'll condemn Russia apriori for its invasion but I'm not going to repeat it continuously when it should be taken as given once already stated.
Please tell me more about this “nationalism by proxy” idea. I don’t agree at all that opposing Russia means somehow adopting Ukrainian nationalism. How does that work?

And it’s “a priori”, not “apriori”. You’re saying everyone is born knowing Russia is evil? That’s ridiculous.

You're not seriously putting India in the same category as Canada and Australia, are you? In India, the Brits established a suppressive rule over the native population, which they otherwise left (mostly) untouched. In Canada and Australia, they murdered and displaced large parts of the native populations, essentially removing them from the equation and creating instead local copies of Britain, existing of and ruled for and by the colonial white population. Not the same at all.

Also, since you seem to think Britain is the unique global birthplace of democracy: many North American Indigenous groups had a very strong form of direct democracy to run their society. With democracy coming in many shapes and forms, those pre-existing democracies were much more democratic than the riding-based Westminster system that ended up replacing them. Not quite progress.

I haven't said that Britain is the unique global birthplace of democracy. I've said instead that it has played a major global role in the spread of democracy. Nor have I put India in the same category as Canada or Australia, except insofar as they are today all counted as democracies.

You're the one who made the claim, it's not up to me to disprove it.

But anyway, I count 39 non-European democracies on the Democracy Index. 16 of them are previous British colonial possessions. And while that sounds very impressive, the Spanish have 11. The Dutch have 3. Don't you see what's going on here? It's basically proportional to the size of the colonial empires. If anything, the Spanish have a higher rate of democracies (flawed as they are) in their ex-colonies, and yet we don't talk about the Spanish and their nurturing of democracy or anything like that.

The only thing to take from this is that the French have done a pretty poor job.

I haven't said that Britain is the unique global birthplace of democracy. I've said instead that it has played a major global role in the spread of democracy. Nor have I put India in the same category as Canada or Australia, except insofar as they are today all counted as democracies.
You said that 'It is not insulting to state that democracy in India is a legacy of British rule. I've already listed several other nations where the same thing applies - is it therefore an insult to Australia, or Canada (etc etc)?'

My point is that listing these in the same breadth is nonsensical, as entirely different mechanism led to the political outcomes of these countries. And further, that the Brits in the case of Canada can't even be said to have improved the political system, but rather the opposite.

You're trying to deflecting from the notion that Britain is a democracy that, when push comes to shove, has mostly stood on the right side of history in terms of fostering democracy and opposing tyranny - at least as much as any nation has done so, and far more than most.

I've answered your question about trade with China several times already: trade benefits us as well as them (so you might just as well ask China why they are strengthening the West) and, moreover, being in an existential struggle does not have to mean immediately declaring war on China, which you seem to imagine it does.

It's insulting to India to suggest that Britain established the principles of democracy in Indian culture? Is it also insulting to India to mention their dreadful caste system? Should I refrain from mentioning the increasingly authoritarian nature of Modi's government? Is it insulting to condemn Modi's refusal to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

No, what's truly insulting and patronising to India is the notion that some things must be pussy-footed around or not mentioned all, presumably in the name of "de-colonisation". Some great things have come from India, and some great things have come from Britain, and there is no good reason to avoid talking about them.

How many democracies emerged from the Russian empire, or the Ottoman empire, or the French empire (etc)? I'll let you answer that.

How am I trying to deflect from a topic which has become the main topic of discussion? My main initial gripes with you were, as I've said repeatedly, your naive approach to why all countries act as they do, as well as your Indian comment.

Trade benefits us as well as them but of course the benefit is not equal. Europe has gone from being the richest continent in the world to 3rd richest, with Asia having leaped to 1st (largely off the back of China's growth). One has gone from a middle class society to....the same whilst the other has changed from a genuinely agrarian country which was being dominated by external powers. Even if an existential crisis doesn't mean immediate war, it does surely mean not funding that other side? Isn't that what all the arguments about Germany have come down to? Their reliance on Russian energy and the money they've funnelled and continue to funnel to Russia?

That would be an absolute slam dunk point if I'd said that India or aspects of Indian culture can't be criticised, which of course I've never said, insinuated or thought. It is not insulting to mention their awful caste system. You should not refrain from mentioning the authoritarian or communal nature of Modi's government (I do this regularly). You can condemn Modi's refusal to condemn the invasion, whilst perhaps understanding that most non-Western countries don't care about Ukraine in the same way as Europeans do (and don't see it as any different from the multiple ongoing conflicts worldwide).

It is however insulting to say that the only reason they have democracy is because of the UK, which, I'll say again, was my main issue with that aspect of your post. If you'd said it was one of the reasons, I would genuinely have said nothing at all.

Russian minimal. Ottoman likewise. French a few. Spain even more. Again though seeing as I didn't say I'd prefer to live in a Russian or Turkish dominated world (and in fact said the opposite), I'm not entirely sure what relevance this has.

That may be so, but if you're only using Full Democracies then you can't use India or the US to talk up the UKs democratic colonial heritage, as they don't qualify. Hell, the UK itself barely makes the cut, at 8.10. Ideally ever country should be a "full democracy", but you can't use full democracies in one discussion and all democracies in the other. Not unless it's clearly stated that you're using very different criteria.

You said that 'It is not insulting to state that democracy in India is a legacy of British rule. I've already listed several other nations where the same thing applies - is it therefore an insult to Australia, or Canada (etc etc)?'

My point is that listing these in the same breadth is nonsensical, as entirely different mechanism led to the political outcomes of these countries. And further, that the Brits in the case of Canada can't even be said to have improved the political system, but rather the opposite.

What? I'm saying it's not insulting to any of these nations to simply state historical facts.

Nor does it especially matter for the purposes of this discussion that various mechanisms were involved. The essential point is the outcome shared in common: democracy.

As for Canada, I've no idea what you are trying to say unless you are referring to pre-colonial times, in which case Canada did not exist as a nation-state..

But anyway, I count 39 non-European democracies on the Democracy Index. 16 of them are previous British colonial possessions. And while that sounds very impressive, the Spanish have 11. The Dutch have 3. Don't you see what's going on here? It's basically proportional to the size of the colonial empires. If anything, the Spanish have a higher rate of democracies (flawed as they are) in their ex-colonies, and yet we don't talk about the Spanish and their nurturing of democracy or anything like that.

The only thing to take from this is that the French have done a pretty poor job.

As Spain lost 95% of its empire at least 100 years before it (briefly) gained any form of democracy itself, that would be a rather pointless argument wouldn’t it?

Look Ukraine vs Russia is about freedom vs dictatorship! Also 35 million Indians had to die for them to understand that voting is cool. - Spurs online fan.

England is a strange place.
Yeah but they had some great railways built all over the country. Sure, they were built to loot the country but there's no chance they'd have developed their own railways had it not been for the Empire.

Last edited:

You've answered your own question as to why we don't talk about the Spanish and their nurturing of democracy.

As Spain lost 95% of its empire at least 100 years before it (briefly) gained any form of democracy itself, that would be a rather pointless argument wouldn’t it?

Would it? Maybe they cultivated democratic sentiment, or something? Yes, obviously that's facetious, but he used the US as an example, and they specifically revolted because they weren't included in the democracy.

The real lessons of democracy and equality were taught by the British.

images

That may be so, but if you're only using Full Democracies then you can't use India or the US to talk up the UKs democratic colonial heritage, as they don't qualify. Hell, the UK itself barely makes the cut, at 8.10. Ideally ever country should be a "full democracy", but you can't use full democracies in one discussion and all democracies in the other. Not unless it's clearly stated that you're using very different criteria.

It's hardly the UK's today fault if India and the U.S have slid down the democratic rankings. Best ask folk like Modi and Trump and their cult followers about such things.

It's hardly the UK's today fault if India and the U.S have slid down the democratic rankings. Best ask folk like Modi and Trump and their cult followers about such things.

Perhaps, but in that case why is it the UK's credit that New Zealand, Australia and Canada all have significantly higher scores on the democracy rankings than the UK?