Geopolitics

I am truly amazed that you’re quadrupling down against the English Dictionary here… and your etymology is wrong.

Webster Dictionary
  1. Macrology noun
    long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words
    Etymology: [L. macrologia, Gr. ; long + lo`gos discourse: cf. F. macrologie.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
  1. Macrology
    mak-rol′o-ji, n. much talk with little to say. [Gr. makros, long, logos, a word.]
I don't remember using "macrology", I think you introduced that term (which has an archaic etmylogical existence, far as I can tell). Your point, though, was that my use of "macrological" was wrong. Your evidence was a Collins entry on a different, but philologically related term. It was meant as a "gotcha", I think, and has since become ridiculous. Let's just say you win and the term "macrological" has no use at all in any social science or natural science or science at all. I bow to your dictionary prowess.

A neat example of how the term definitely doesn't mean anything or have any use whatsoever:

Scientists from Aristotle to William Paley thought of evolution as the result of an interaction between micrological causes such as natural selection and macrological causes such as an immanent essence or telos (Aristotle), a transcendent essence or eidos (Plato) or the providential design of an intelligent creator (Judeo-Christian religion). Darwin reduced this dialectic to one of its poles: That is why his theory is called “reductive.” He instituted what Gould calls a “panselectionist paradigm” and employed a “microevolutionary extrapolationism” to argue that natural selection, based on random genetic variation and guided by the competitive adaptation of individual organisms to their environments, was in effect the only cause of evolutionary change.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/inheriting-wind/

Halt the presses!

I don't remember using "macrology", I think you introduced that term (which has an archaic etmylogical existence, far as I can tell). Your point, though, was that my use of "macrological" was wrong. Your evidence was a Collins entry on a different, but philologically related term. It was meant as a "gotcha", I think, and has since become ridiculous. Let's just say you win and the term "macrological" has no use at all in any social science or natural science or science at all. I bow to your dictionary prowess.
The irony of your post being the definition of the adjective “macrological” is not lost on me.

The onus on diplomatic breakthrough is on the Russians. They invaded, they can stop it. Ukraine seems willing to offer neutrality and return to pre-invasion borders.

Anybody complaining that the West and Ukraine aren't doing more to get a peaceful solution should use that energy for Russia.

In the meantime, more Russian losses on the battlefield will likely bring Russia closer to a diplomatic solution.

The irony of your post being the definition of the adjective “macrological” is not lost on me.
:lol:

To be fair, the example I used at the bottom of that post is absolutely "macrological" in the sense you've familiarized me with. I don't have a clue wtf the author is saying.

Surely MG is an AI designed to be as annoying and obtuse as possible.
:lol:
Macro/Microeconomics for future reference. Has to be easier than other examples so far. It really is a very simple distinction.

Nonstop Corporate News on Ukraine Is Fueling Support for Unchecked US Militarism

BY Henry A. Giroux

https://truthout.org/articles/nonst...-fueling-support-for-unchecked-us-militarism/

Quoting the offending macrology so it doesn't get lost in whatever the last two pages were :D

Last edited:
Anybody complaining that the West and Ukraine aren't doing more to get a peaceful solution should use that energy for Russia.
People making this argument live outside of Russia. Not much you can do. If you live in the West, though, you can do something. And I don't think the West (particularly the US) cares much for peace (their interest is a long, drawn out, war).

People making this argument live outside of Russia. Not much you can do. If you live in the West, though, you can do something. And I don't think the West (particularly the US) cares much for peace (their interest is a long, drawn out, war).
And what do you propose the West to do to convince Putin for peace? What if Putin isn't at the moment interested in peace at all?

It's not like Ukraine is offering nothing of note to the Russians. The Russians so far just seem hellbent on getting any kind of battlefield success.

And what do you propose the West to do to convince Putin for peace? What if Putin isn't at the moment interested in peace at all?

It's not like Ukraine is offering nothing of note to the Russians. The Russians so far just seem hellbent on getting any kind of battlefield success.
I think the negotiations have been promising, before they were torpedoed or else suspended. I think the emphasis should be on supporting them again as quickly as possible. What does victory look like for Putin? By now, it has to be more or less what Russia had at the beginning plus the possibility of a landbridge (Ukraine won't accept that, or it's doubtful), Ukrainian neutrality, and an end to the hostilities in the Donbas. I think he could sell some version of that as a win (if he's still going with the "special operation" instead of war rhetoric, he can say he achieved peace for the besieged residents of the separatist republics, or some version of that). For Ukraine victory will look pretty similar except no landbridge, continued hostilities/disputes surrounding Donbass, and no neutrality. That seems a deadend because it will go on forever until one side gives way.

I'd start talking about peace, for a start. Everyone knows we're sending weapons, it's all you hear about. Now start talking about how this conflict ends (you can still send weapons as you do it).

I think the negotiations have been promising, before they were torpedoed or else suspended. I think the emphasis should be on supporting them again as quickly as possible. What does victory look like for Putin? By now, it has to be more or less what Russia had at the beginning plus the possibility of a landbridge (Ukraine won't accept that, or it's doubtful), Ukrainian neutrality, and an end to the hostilities in the Donbas. I think he could sell some version of that as a win (if he's still going with the "special operation" instead of war rhetoric, he can say he achieved peace for the besieged residents of the separatist republics, or some version of that). For Ukraine victory will look pretty similar except no landbridge, continued hostilities/disputes surrounding Donbass, and no neutrality. That seems a deadend because it will go on forever until one side gives way.

I'd start talking about peace, for a start. Everyone knows we're sending weapons, it's all you hear about. Now start talking about how this conflict ends (you can still send weapons as you do it).
Maybe it's time that the Russians start speaking out about peace:

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has said peace talks will continue with Russia despite accusing Moscow of war crimes and genocide.
Mr Zelensky was speaking in Bucha, near the capital Kyiv, where bodies of civilians were found strewn on the streets after Russian troops withdrew.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60987350

Maybe it's time that the Russians start speaking out about peace:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60987350
I'll have to cite, but I have read reports of the Russians talking about peace. They also reject the idea of genocide (which I agree with; there hasn't been any genocide yet, in the strict sense of the term, but there have been war crimes).

A good thread by a scholar who is anything but pro-Russian (his detailed analysis of the Bucha war crime is one of the best out there).

Also begs the question: how do you know the Russians aren't talking about peace? One of the problems of banning the other side's point of view is that you don't hear what they have to say unless you really go out of your way to find it (and read Pravda/ArabicinEnglish sources like I've had to do).

Would you have called for peace when the US invaded Iraq? is a more appropriate question, and the answer is yes
When America was at war with Iraq, I don't remember thinking "it would be great if the Iraqis slaughtered Americans", despite America clearly being in the wrong

In October 2004 the Stop the War Coalition issued a statement reaffirming “its call for an end to the occupation, the return of all British troops in Iraq to this country and recognises once more the legitimacy of the struggle of Iraqis, by whatever means they find necessary, to secure such ends.”

Likewise John Pilger in February of that year:

“Do you think the anti-war movement should be supporting Iraq's anti-occupation resistance?
Yes, I do. We cannot afford to be choosy. While we abhor and condemn the continuing loss of innocent life in Iraq, we have no choice now but to support the resistance, for if the resistance fails, the “Bush gang” will attack another country. If they succeed, a grievous blow will be suffered by the Bush gang.”​

This was happening around the same time that al-Zarqawi’s group were emerging as the biggest faction driving the insurgency, (in the actual sense that Putin projects the Azov battalion are in Ukraine). In the second half of 2004 aid workers and others were being kidnapped and beheaded on video.

In October 2004 the Stop the War Coalition issued a statement reaffirming “its call for an end to the occupation, the return of all British troops in Iraq to this country and recognises once more the legitimacy of the struggle of Iraqis, by whatever means they find necessary, to secure such ends.”

Likewise John Pilger in February of that year:

“Do you think the anti-war movement should be supporting Iraq's anti-occupation resistance?
Yes, I do. We cannot afford to be choosy. While we abhor and condemn the continuing loss of innocent life in Iraq, we have no choice now but to support the resistance, for if the resistance fails, the “Bush gang” will attack another country. If they succeed, a grievous blow will be suffered by the Bush gang.”​

This was happening around the same time that al-Zarqawi’s group were emerging as the biggest faction driving the insurgency, (in the actual sense that Putin projects the Azov battalion are in Ukraine). In the second half of 2004 aid workers and others were being kidnapped and beheaded on video.
I do remember that. There was outrage over it. Galloway also said something (he was in the group at the time) to that effect and was threatened with legal action/expulsion iirc. But it definitely wasn't widespread. Besides Pilger, Galloway, and maybe a few other fringe members of the left, this didn't spill over into conventional thinking. What did, though, were EDL marches (a tangent, but the right rose more during this period than the left). I find it weird either way to celebrate the death of soldiers as is done now by all sides in any given conflict. I get you're showing support for whatever side (beyond Ukraine/Russia) you think is right, but it's a foreign concept to me. That's why I said it would have been weird to see someone wanting Americans/British troops murdered en masse (or waving Iraqi flags), but times change. Maybe that will happen in the next war.

@GlastonSpur thanks for your posts they are the only good argument I've seen yet about why I should be a loyal Modi supporter. Hope we build a few more nukes too.

In which case you'd be supporting the shameful and gutless response of Modi's government - refusing to condemn Putin and merely issuing a meaningless call for peace - to Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

Russia is China's closest ally. If China were to invade India and started reducing Indian cities to rubble, I've no doubt that Modi would instantly be calling on the West for help

In which case you'd be supporting the shameful and gutless response of Modi's government - refusing to condemn Putin and merely issuing a meaningless call for peace - to Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

Russia is China's closest ally. If China were to invade India and started reducing Indian cities to rubble, I've no doubt that Modi would instantly be calling on the West for help
Why would he need to even call on the West for help? Surely the noble West would immediately ride to his defence in order to protect democracy.

Why would he need to even call on the West for help? Surely the noble West would immediately ride to his defence in order to protect democracy.

That depends on how much democracy will be left in India after Modi's authoritarianism and Hindu Nationalism has done with it.

UK to give asylum seekers one-way ticket to Rwanda
Some asylum seekers who cross the Channel to the UK will be given a one-way ticket to Rwanda, under new government plans.
The trial will involve mostly single men arriving on boats or lorries.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the £120m scheme would "save countless lives" from human trafficking.
Refugee organisations have criticised the plan as cruel, questioned its cost and impact, and raised concerns about Rwanda's human rights record.
BBC

When they're white, they're Refugees who need shelter and we can post loads of feel good news articles about them being given a place to stay.

When they're black, they're just Asylum Seekers and they can feck off back to their own country.

If China were to invade India and started reducing Indian cities to rubble, I've no doubt that Modi would instantly be calling on the West for help

In our last major war with China, it was the west's (lack of) help that pushed us closer to the USSR.

That depends on how much democracy will be left in India after Modi's authoritarianism and Hindu Nationalism has done with it.

Which explains why the west helped (democratic) India in 1971 against Pakistan, which wasn't just a military dictatorship, but was engaging in a mass terror campaign? You are astoundingly ignorant.

In our last major war with China, it was the west's (lack of) help that pushed us closer to the USSR.

Which explains why the west helped (democratic) India in 1971 against Pakistan, which wasn't just a military dictatorship, but was engaging in a mass terror campaign? You are astoundingly ignorant.

What's actually astoundingly ignorant is India's cosying up to Putin's Russia - an "ally" that will support China over India in any future conflict, an "ally" that lies through its teeth about everything (of which the invasion of Ukraine is just the latest example), and an "ally" that will happily sell military equipment to India that is greatly inferior to any equivalent from the West ... again as the Ukrainian war is showing.

But if India foolishly wishes to climb in bed with Russia, then good luck to you ... you'll need it.

On the issue of being removed from the crisis. That's true, except the West has taken Ukraine to be its proxy in way you don't usually see in proxy wars (the Ukrainian flag now serves as proxy for the US/NATO, essentially).
Actually, I think it's rather the Russian involvement that causes this: all united against the bogeyman. Russia never lost its 'enemy' image post-Cold War, and while it grew softer in the 90s, Putin has been pretty 'good' at hardening that again in the 2000s - culminating in this invasion of Ukraine and what that did for Russia's image. If this had been Poland invading LIthuania (maybe a similar difference in military strength), the response across the EU and North America wouldn't have been the same.
Shouldn’t that be up to Russia and Ukraine?
The US could have tried to facilitate peace talks though, like Turkey is doing (and Israel tried). Although the US probably would have been a much less acceptable partner for Russia, given its clear siding with Ukraine.
I think you mistake Ukrainian victory for American victory (many American media pundits do the same).
I think if the war ended, we'd only know in a few years if Ukraine really did emerge victorious, even if Russia would give back all Ukrainian territory (outside Crimea I suppose). Cause if the EU, US, and Canada wouldn't invest enormously in rebuilding Ukraine and providing military safety, the Ukraine would be in a really poor state for a very long time, which would likely lead to political instability and the return of Russia before too long.
Macro/Microeconomics for future reference. Has to be easier than other examples so far. It really is a very simple distinction.
Not very important, but 'macrology' is really not a common word. For myself, I don't remember having ever seen it. I would say it's not the kind of word we should use on a forum with readers from all backgrounds and all levels of expertise on topics.

Not very important, but 'macrology' is really not a common word. For myself, I don't remember having ever seen it. I would say it's not the kind of word we should use on a forum with readers from all backgrounds and all levels of expertise on topics.
Yeah, I didn't use it, nor had I heard of it. I used "micrological/macrological", which are very common distinctions in all social sciences and some natural sciences.

Actually, I think it's rather the Russian involvement that causes this: all united against the bogeyman. Russia never lost its 'enemy' image post-Cold War, and while it grew softer in the 90s, Putin has been pretty 'good' at hardening that again in the 2000s - culminating in this invasion of Ukraine and what that did for Russia's image. If this had been Poland invading LIthuania (maybe a similar difference in military strength), the response across the EU and North America wouldn't have been the same.
Yes, because Russia exists outside NATO and is largely the reason NATO continued to exist when it had no mandate for existence post-1991. But I agree. Still, the US/EU have taken the Ukrainian flag as their own. It becomes nationalism by proxy imo. Also why I find the side-taking idea to be counterintuitive (among many other reasons). A condemnation of Russia becomes a proclamation of support for the US/EU/NATO; as, in some contexts, does support for Ukraine. I can do without that. I'll condemn Russia apriori for its invasion but I'm not going to repeat it continuously when it should be taken as given once already stated.

The US could have tried to facilitate peace talks though, like Turkey is doing (and Israel tried). Although the US probably would have been a much less acceptable partner for Russia, given its clear siding with Ukraine.
As I said, we tried to avoid the war happening at all. Once it started, it’s been rather clear that Russia wants nothing to do with peace. I mean, how many world leaders have now asked them for it only to come away with nothing?

As I said, we tried to avoid the war happening at all. Once it started, it’s been rather clear that Russia wants nothing to do with peace. I mean, how many world leaders have now asked them for it only to come away with nothing?
Do you think there is zero chance that the US wanted Russia to invade (or that it surmised there was a fair chance Russia would invade, and in part, due to its own activities in the region)? There came a point where the US was wishing for Russia to make a strategic blunder, imo, and it did. Now it will try to exact a toll in the form of a protracted insurrgency, which Clinton among others have been arguing for since the outbreak (it is the orthodox view).

Robert Kagan said:
just as the 9/11 attacks were partly a response to the United States’ dominant presence in the Middle East after the first Gulf War, so Russian decisions have been a response to the expanding post–Cold War hegemony of the United States and its allies in Europe. Putin alone is to blame for his actions, but the invasion of Ukraine is taking place in a historical and geopolitical context in which the United States has played and still plays the principal role, and Americans must grapple with this fact.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ukraine/2022-04-06/russia-ukraine-war-price-hegemony

Kagan's overall premise is a bit idealistic for a self-proclaimed realist, and I don't agree with parts of it, but most serious thinkers on the issue of foreign policy make provision for a world where Russia is acting/reacting in relation to the actions of other states (US/NATO presence in the region being one factor; westward facing ambitions of post-Soviet states irregardless of NATO/US being another).

Do you think there is zero chance that the US wanted Russia to invade (or that it surmised there was a fair chance Russia would invade, and in part, due to its own activities in the region)? There came a point where the US was wishing for Russia to make a strategic blunder, imo, and it did. Now it will try to exact a toll in the form of a protracted insurrgency, which Clinton among others have been arguing for since the outbreak (it is the orthodox view).
I don't know... and really, neither do you. What we do know is that the US made multiple attempts at de-escalation, attempts which were rejected by Russia. We also know that multiple countries have gone and met with Putin to seek peace, and have been rebuffed. Finally, we know that Ukraine and Russia have met for peace talks themselves, and still nothing. It just seems to me that looking to the US to create peace out of this is barking up the wrong tree.

I don't know... and really, neither do you. What we do know is that the US made multiple attempts at de-escalation, attempts which were rejected by Russia. We also know that multiple countries have gone and met with Putin to seek peace, and have been rebuffed. Finally, we know that Ukraine and Russia have met for peace talks themselves, and still nothing. It just seems to me that looking to the US to create peace out of this is barking up the wrong tree.
Yeah that's fair enough.

What's actually astoundingly ignorant is India's cosying up to Putin's Russia - an "ally" that will support China over India in any future conflict, an "ally" that lies through its teeth about everything (of which the invasion of Ukraine is just the latest example), and an "ally" that will happily sell military equipment to India that is greatly inferior to any equivalent from the West ... again as the Ukrainian war is showing.

But if India foolishly wishes to climb in bed with Russia, then good luck to you ... you'll need it.

Nah, I think a country siding with its long-term ally is less astounding than someone talking about world politics without knowing one single thing.

Yeah, I didn't use it, nor had I heard of it. I used "micrological/macrological", which are very common distinctions in all social sciences and some natural sciences.
Sorry, I did mean 'micro/macrological'. Can't remember having seen that before.

Sorry, I did mean 'micro/macrological'. Can't remember having seen that before.
Interestingly enough, micrologic / micrological is another term for microscopic.
Yeah, the microscopic view of events or data is what it implies (and the logic of such). You see these twin frames used everywhere from art to science.

Microeconomics vs. Macroeconomics: An Overview
Economics is divided into two categories: microeconomics and macroeconomics. Microeconomics is the study of individuals and business decisions, while macroeconomics looks at the decisions of countries and governments.

That's really all it is. The individual versus the collective/totality; trying to situate the individual (person/event/object) within its broader, macro, (or historical), context. Used to using these terms without much thought, but point wasn't to be (purposefully) incomprehensible.

Yeah, the microscopic view of events or data is what it implies (and the logic of such). You see these twin frames used everywhere from art to science.

That's really all it is. The individual versus the collective/totality; trying to situate the individual (person/event/object) within its broader, macro, (or historical), context. Used to using these terms without much thought, but point wasn't to be (purposefully) incomprehensible.
Well yes, I know what the macro- and micro- prefixes are for, and have seem them used in various contexts (including those economy examples); just not with the suffixes -logy or -logical.

Anyway, not super important.

I think we need a new thread for discussions on the meaning of the word macrological (and the overuse of parentheses to add comment or context that should otherwise have been written into the sentence).

Nah, I think a country siding with its long-term ally is less astounding than someone talking about world politics without knowing one single thing.

Having Russia as "long term ally" is like having cancer as a long term health benefit.

When push comes to shove with China, India will wake up to discover that their "ally" supports their enemy

I think we need a new thread for discussions on the meaning of the word macrological (and the overuse of parentheses to add comment or context that should otherwise have been written into the sentence).
You might be (on to something).

(in more parenthetical news/opinion:

The notion that we need to support this or that capitalist bloc is but a symptom of the lack of an organized antiwar movement. Thus, the task of the left is not to choose sides amid inter-imperialist rivalry, but to raise mass consciousness regarding the history and present circumstances of international conflicts and to build a mass internationalist, anti-imperialist, antiwar movement capable of intervening on the side of peace, even when the ambitions of the world’s ruling classes demand bloodshed and war.

Not worth quoting the whole piece, this time :))

https://truthout.org/articles/a-hun...t-for-action-on-ukraine-is-driving-us-astray/

Last edited:
It isn't the Russian narrative, it's the geopolitical fact within which the war has been based. The Americans understand it perfectly well but are adept at pretending they don't know what's happening when acknowledging the facts proves inconvenient. Yes, this is the CFR* admitting what everyone already knew about spheres of influence, NATO encroachment, and likely Russian response. The framing is that the US is an idealist power which works according to realism and that the second is at odds with the first, despite the first being the "real" intent of the US. In reality, the US works according to realpolitik and uses idealism as a means to assert a distinction in international affairs where none actually exists (to assert a false naivety).

This framing doesn't capture the bigger picture. The problem with highlighting the NATO encroachment is that it ignores the fact that Putin's actions and policies incentivized countries to move away from Russia towards the west and seek NATO for protection. Putin's actions reflect a neo-mercantilist worldview, an authoritarian perspective of political economy, and a personal imperialistic desire to restore glory of the Russian Empire.

A much more effective strategy at neutralizing any NATO expansion since 1999 would have been to diversify Russia's economy away from resource exportation, modernize and build Russia's soft power and establish closer, economic ties with all former Soviet states beyond just basing it on natural resources. That strategy would have removed the incentive for former states to join NATO or turn westward.

The reactive "but NATO" framing doesn't really acknowledge how ineffective this strategy is if it's just being driven by a response to NATO. Just look at the result of this invasion. It isn't a good advertisement for any nation to want to establish closers ties with Russia as opposed to the west and his actions have actively pushed Finland and Sweden closer to NATO.

Putin's own actions actively pushed other states closer to NATO. So it's so much NATO "encroachment" as it is Putin's actions creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sure, but is it not also the US's responsibility to call for a peaceful settlement (even though it supports Ukraine)? It has been calling for an immediate ceasefire/peace in Yemen for years despite supporting Saudi Arabia. The same is true in Israel/Palestine, that whenever conflict breaks out the US calls for an immediate peace even though it actively supports Israel. And you can go around the world and find example after example. What the US is doing here is setting a precedent of sorts. When was the last time the US didn't call for an immediate peace/ceasefire in a comparable situation in which the US itself was not at war?

In a vague platitude sense sure, but in a tangible sense, I don't see what the US or UK could say in regards to concrete actions. Without the Ukraine and Russia reach a point where they want to negotiate, the US can't really do much. They can't make any real concrete recommendations right now. Would they tell Ukraine to accept what Russia wants? And Russia clearly won't listen to any recommendations on negotiations either.

In a vague platitude sense sure, but in a tangible sense, I don't see what the US or UK could say in regards to concrete actions. Without the Ukraine and Russia reach a point where they want to negotiate, the US can't really do much. They can't make any real concrete recommendations right now. Would they tell Ukraine to accept what Russia wants? And Russia clearly won't listen to any recommendations on negotiations either.
Also, as much as the US could offer to facilitate talks or push for them, I doubt Russia would accept a neutral role for them, as they'd question the US's neutrality. Maybe they would accept negotiating directly with the US, but Ukraine wouldn't accept letting the US speak (and decide!) for them, and the US wouldn't want to give the impression that Ukraine is just a pawn in their game (regardless of whether it actually is or isn't).

So I think it's just not really an option. (I meant to say that in my previous post but didn't express it properly.)
Piss off, nimic. There can never be enough parentheses in my poorly construed and lazily written posts.

You are ascribing views to me that I haven't expressed. I haven't said that the West only fights for freedom and democracy. I've said that it sometimes fights for freedom and democracy - which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for most other nations. But of course it also sometimes fights for reasons more centred on self-interest.

Everything I've said about India and democracy is entirely true. If you think otherwise, then best tell what you claim is not true. The same goes for Britain's motivations during WWII.

Ukraine is literally on Russia's doorstep - since they share a common land border. 100 miles of open sea is something quite different, especially if a country is attempting to send an invasion force across it. Sink even one boat - and several thousand troops may go down with it before they even reach the fight - and Taiwan is stuffed to the gills with sophisticated weapons, including anti-ship missiles.

I've already explained why at this point there's no point antagonising China by formally recognising Taiwan. And yes, the world does face an existential struggle between democracy and freedom vs tyranny and oppression. But that doesn't mean we have to gung-ho declare war on China. Such conflict will arise if and when China attempts to take Taiwan by force. And by the way, the benefits of trade works both ways - it's not just to China's benefit.

12,000 miles to China by sea doesn't mean that much when you consider that (a) some of the carrier groups concerned - of which there at least 17 across pro-Western nations (not counting helo carriers) - will be much closer at any one time; and (b) we would know about any Chinese preparations for invasion weeks in advance.

And if such ships were to become well within Chinese missile and airforce range, then the same thing applies in reverse to any Chinese invasion fleet, missile bases and military airports. Many of the Chinese ships would be sunk before they even got halfway to the Taiwanese coast.

That isn't really how you've been coming across and you seem to think that is genuinely plays into the key decision makers in the West. I would imagine that most leaders would probably just about prefer a democracy (as long as it is in their interests) but would prefer a dictator otherwise who fulfilled their interests vs a democrat who didn't.

You seem to think that Britain fought in WW2 to save democracy and against fascism. You are confusing the on-ground reality at the time (Britain was a democracy, Germany a dictatorship), with a motivation. Germany was on its 4th annexation before the UK and France decided to get involved, why were they not protecting democracies beforehand? Hitler had ruled for 6 years before war broke out, what did they do in this battle of good vs evil? Britain and France's motivations were to avoid the balance of power shifting irrevocably towards one country on the continent, which is what Europeans have been going to war over for centuries.

The issue with the India theory (and the same with the railways) is it has behind it two rather unsavoury assumptions. The first is the, let's be honest racist assumption, that Indians would not have been able to reach democracy by themselves. That their people would not have been able to come to those conclusions by themselves, by watching from afar. I don't know if they'd have done so or not but your assumption is that they only have democracy because of the UK. Same with the railways built to plunder India's wealth. Would the Indians not have been able to just....buy railways? The second is that those things, even if we presume them to be true, was worth the UK plundering what was at the time the wealthiest nation on Earth.

The point is that 100 miles is rather different to the thousands of miles European forces would have to travel . I'm not making comment on whether or not they can take Taiwan (I will bow down to your clear general level military expertise on this topic) but mostly commenting on how carrier numbers are not going to be as relevant, considering the Chinese will be in missile/jet range of those carriers? It also makes me laugh that you think Europeans would go to the other side of the world to fight against a nuclear armed China but aren't travelling a few hundred miles to fight against a nuclear armed Russia in a war on their continent.

Of course the Chinese would lose a huge amount of ships and men. Things can mean different things for different countries though. In the same way Russia is prepared to go to war and lose soldiers over Ukraine and the West is not, I'd imagine ultimately the same will be true for Taiwan.

I didn't deny trade works both ways. I'm just confused about why the pure West still continues to trade with the Chinese and their one party dictatorship and cult of personality? We are after all locked in a global death grip of democracy vs dictatorships are we not? Soooo.....why are we still finding the Chinese with all this trade? Why are we funding their oppression of the UIghurs? Why are we building up their forces? Most importantly, why are we sullying out purity by trading with the forces of dictatorship and oppression? Some of your recent comments if you would like your memory jogged:

At the end of the day it's a conflict between freedom and democracy vs tyranny and oppression. This struggle is global.

Secondly, we actually are now in an existential struggle, world-wide, between the democracy and freedom (not the fake "freedom" proclaimed by Trumpian neo-fascists) versus the forces of dictatorship and oppression (principally Russia and China, but not just them).
We need to face this square on: ultimately it is about regime change in Russia, however long it takes, because there will never be peace as long as Putin remains.

As an aside, I think it is these 2 comments in p[articular which rubbed people up the wrong way. If you were to have said the UK contributed to Indian democracy, then most probably wouldn't have commented. The fact you said the only reason it exists there is offensive.

And you still seem to think the main reason for war was to stand up against fascism.

For example, the only reason that some semblance of democracy exists today in India is precisely because it was part of the British Empire.

Britain declared war on Germany after Hitler's army invaded Poland and thus made it clear that he wouldn't stop after his previous aggression. We did so to fight against fascism - i.e. to stand up for freedom. So clearly not nonsense.

That isn't really how you've been coming across and you seem to think that is genuinely plays into the key decision makers in the West. I would imagine that most leaders would probably just about prefer a democracy (as long as it is in their interests) but would prefer a dictator otherwise who fulfilled their interests vs a democrat who didn't.

You seem to think that Britain fought in WW2 to save democracy and against fascism. You are confusing the on-ground reality at the time (Britain was a democracy, Germany a dictatorship), with a motivation. Germany was on its 4th annexation before the UK and France decided to get involved, why were they not protecting democracies beforehand? Hitler had ruled for 6 years before war broke out, what did they do in this battle of good vs evil? Britain and France's motivations were to avoid the balance of power shifting irrevocably towards one country on the continent, which is what Europeans have been going to war over for centuries.

The issue with the India theory (and the same with the railways) is it has behind it two rather unsavoury assumptions. The first is the, let's be honest racist assumption, that Indians would not have been able to reach democracy by themselves. That their people would not have been able to come to those conclusions by themselves, by watching from afar. I don't know if they'd have done so or not but your assumption is that they only have democracy because of the UK. Same with the railways built to plunder India's wealth. Would the Indians not have been able to just....buy railways? The second is that those things, even if we presume them to be true, was worth the UK plundering what was at the time the wealthiest nation on Earth.

The point is that 100 miles is rather different to the thousands of miles European forces would have to travel . I'm not making comment on whether or not they can take Taiwan (I will bow down to your clear general level military expertise on this topic) but mostly commenting on how carrier numbers are not going to be as relevant, considering the Chinese will be in missile/jet range of those carriers? It also makes me laugh that you think Europeans would go to the other side of the world to fight against a nuclear armed China but aren't travelling a few hundred miles to fight against a nuclear armed Russia in a war on their continent.

Of course the Chinese would lose a huge amount of ships and men. Things can mean different things for different countries though. In the same way Russia is prepared to go to war and lose soldiers over Ukraine and the West is not, I'd imagine ultimately the same will be true for Taiwan.

I didn't deny trade works both ways. I'm just confused about why the pure West still continues to trade with the Chinese and their one party dictatorship and cult of personality? We are after all locked in a global death grip of democracy vs dictatorships are we not? Soooo.....why are we still finding the Chinese with all this trade? Why are we funding their oppression of the UIghurs? Why are we building up their forces? Most importantly, why are we sullying out purity by trading with the forces of dictatorship and oppression? Some of your recent comments if you would like your memory jogged:

As an aside, I think it is these 2 comments in p[articular which rubbed people up the wrong way. If you were to have said the UK contributed to Indian democracy, then most probably wouldn't have commented. The fact you said the only reason it exists there is offensive.

And you still seem to think the main reason for war was to stand up against fascism.

Britain declared war on Germany when the latter invaded Poland. We did so because of a mutual defence treaty obligation with Poland. Your tired old argument is just more "what-about-ism" - e.g. what about Germany's prior annexations of territory, and what about Hitler being in power for 6 years prior to that? This "what about-ism" assumes that Britain had the ability to right all wrongs everywhere (we didn't), but chose not to do that ... tho' you don't say how Britain could have removed Hitler from power (presumably by waving some imaginary magic wand).

Britain fought in WWII for a combination of reasons: to honour a treaty obligation, for national survival against huge odds, to resist tyranny, and to try and stop Hitler from conquering all of Europe. For a long while we stood alone against Hitler, and the nation suffered terribly. but all this is lost in your cynicism and "what-about-ism".

Re. India, many nations still have not reached democracy, so what's your evidence for assuming that India would have reached democracy anyway? If you look around the world, the democracies are a small minority of countries - and most of the democracies outside Europe were once part of the British Empire (the USA, Canada, India, Australia, Jamaica, New Zealand etc etc). Dismissing this as mere coincidence doesn't hold water.

Re. China and Taiwan, it's a different situation to Ukraine. Firstly, China has only a small fraction of the number of nuclear weapons that Russia has. Second, Taiwan does not share a land border with China (unlike Ukraine with Russia and Byelorussia). Third, Taiwan has never been under the rule of the Chinese Communist Party, unlike Ukraine which was for a while part of the Communist-ruled USSR. You can assume, if you wish, that the world's democracies would not intervene to stop a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, but that would be shaky assumption that I suspect China won't share.

Re. trade with China, I haven't said that the West is - as you put it - "pure". I've already said that this trade benefits and strengthens the West, even if it also benefits China. As for rest, it's just more what-aboutism - as if the West has the capacity to right all wrongs (e.g. the oppression of the Uyghers), when we don't.

Far from perfect as it is, if the West didn't exist then the world would be ruled by China and Russia, and totalitarianism would be everywhere. Your cynicism palls into insignificance in the face of this bedrock reality.

Last edited:
Look Ukraine vs Russia is about freedom vs dictatorship! Also 35 million Indians had to die for them to understand that voting is cool. - Spurs online fan.

England is a strange place.

Britain declared war on Germany when the latter invaded Poland. We did so because of a mutual defence treaty obligation with Poland. Your tired old argument is just more "what-about-ism" - e.g. what about Germany's prior annexations of territory, and what about Hitler being in power for 6 years prior to that? This "what about-ism" assumes that Britain had the ability to right all wrongs everywhere (we didn't), but chose not to do that ... tho' you don't say how Britain could have removed Hitler from power (presumably by waving some imaginary magic wand).

Britain fought in WWII for a combination of reasons: to honour a treaty obligation, for national survival against huge odds, to resist tyranny, and to try and stop Hitler from conquering all of Europe. For a long while we stood alone against Hitler, and the nation suffered terribly. but all this is lost in your cynicism and "what-about-ism".

Re. India, many nations still have not reached democracy, so what's your evidence for assuming that India would have reached democracy anyway? If you look around the world, the democracies are a small minority of countries - and most of the democracies outside Europe were once part of the British Empire (the USA, Canada, India, Australia, Jamaica, New Zealand etc etc). Dismissing this as mere coincidence doesn't hold water.

Re. China and Taiwan, it's a different situation to Ukraine. Firstly, China has only a small fraction of the number of nuclear weapons that Russia has. Second, Taiwan does not share a land border with China (unlike Ukraine with Russia and Byelorussia). Third, Taiwan has never been under the rule of the Chinese Communist Party, unlike Ukraine which was for a while part of the Communist-ruled USSR. You can assume, if you wish, that the world's democracies would not intervene to stop a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, but that would be shaky assumption that I suspect China won't share.

Re. trade with China, I haven't said that the West is - as you put it - "pure". I've already said that this trade benefits and strengthens the West, even if it also benefits China. As for rest, it's just more what-aboutism - as if the West has the capacity to right all wrongs (e.g. the oppression of the Uyghers), when we don't.

Far from perfect as it is, if the West didn't exist then the world would be ruled by China and Russia, and totalitarianism would be everywhere. Your cynicism palls into insignificance in the face of this bedrock reality.

Unless your point is that being under the thumb of GB caused us to strive to create a better government than the shit we watch you pull then I have no idea what you are trying to say.