• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That coilition fecked over the people of my generation too, but it seems odd that we're blaming the Lib Dems party of 2024 for the policies of a mainly Conservative government from 2010. The Tory party have fecked over every generation bar the boomers and anyone older than that for the last 14 years.

Nick Clegg was the Richard 'the hamster' Hammond to Cameron's Clarkson - just looking on with a daft smile from the sidelines under the delusion he held a position of influence and importance.

How bad the Tories would have been without the Lib Dems, we'll thankfully never know, but Clegg is in the dustbin of history now. Their current manifesto is probably the most fair, ambitious and progressive of the lot.
It wouldn't suprise me to find out Todd Boehly was bankrolling the Lib Dems and making all the key decisions at that point.

And the party overall is less well liked than both the Corbyn and Miliband era.

This kind of hints at what I think should be a note of caution here. There's pretty much no doubt at this point that Labour are going to win and win by a landslide. The only real question is by how much? The main point of interest for me however is how big the Reform vote will be...which links to this note of caution I mentioned.

And that is that Labour has essentially one term to get this right. They have one term to make a real visible difference to peoples lives across a whole range of metrics, and they have to do so with all the cards stacked against them. Fail...and by the time the next election comes around you might see an entirely different political landscape!

Labour won't stop the boats because they can't. This issue will continue to get hammered by the media and exploited by tories and Reform.
It’s not really about “stopping the boats” that’s just a distraction.

The problem that the Tories have created is that there is a giant backlog in processing the people who have arrived and that’s partly by design because they don’t want to process them (because none of the solutions are palatable) and partly because of Brexit because it’s a lot harder to send people the other way.

What Labour need to do is find a pragmatic, humane way of processing these refugees and bringing the numbers stuck indefinitely in inhumane conditions down.

You can then build better relations with the countries they are coming from and offer incentives to stop them from coming.

Rwanda was going to cost something like £1.4m per refugee. I’d bet good money if you offered France half that per refugee they stop in the channel; take back to France and offer asylum to instead they would bite your hand off. Well maybe not le Pen’s France… but the point is that Rwanda was never a logical or practical solution, it was always a political point waiting exercise and if there is money to burn like that per asylum seeker then there are more humane solutions at half the cost - it’s just selling it to the public. The public the Tories are sating would rather spend £1.4m and send them into a volcano than spend £100k on a humane solution that treats the asylum seeker with respect and dignity. All of a sudden £100k is a lot of money to waste.

This kind of hints at what I think should be a note of caution here. There's pretty much no doubt at this point that Labour are going to win and win by a landslide. The only real question is by how much? The main point of interest for me however is how big the Reform vote will be...which links to this note of caution I mentioned.

And that is that Labour has essentially one term to get this right. They have one term to make a real visible difference to peoples lives across a whole range of metrics, and they have to do so with all the cards stacked against them. Fail...and by the time the next election comes around you might see an entirely different political landscape!
With how low the country currently is they should be able to make major gains just by sitting back and doing nothing. If the country stagnates or goes backwards from here they don't deserve a second term.

Are Labour even centralists? I'd argue they're slightly right leaning right now. They've gutted out most of anyone left leaning.

The only centralists in the UK are the greens and corbyn. Any notion that they're far left is laughable and it just shows have right leaning the UK generally is.

If they were sensible they would come to an (expensive) agreement with France and the EU this Summer, and lie and blame the excessive cost on something the Tories did this year.

If they were sensible they'd set up legal safe routes and organise the processing system properly saving the country a fortune and end this ridiculous saga.
And above all stop talking nonsense and focus on other issues.

The only centralists in the UK are the greens and corbyn. Any notion that they're far left is laughable and it just shows have right leaning the UK generally is.

How are the green party and Corbyn centrists?

Would you look at that...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28935096/its-time-for-a-change/

TMC-CHANGE-PAGE-ONE-V3_COMP-1.jpg

Interesting choice of words, although I'd severely doubt The Sun are deliberately tapping into anything there.

Just thinking of certain criticisms of a technocratic society from varying perspectives ranging from hard left to far right. The whole professional managerial class or managerial elite thing.

If they were sensible they'd set up legal safe routes and organise the processing system properly saving the country a fortune and end this ridiculous saga.
And above all stop talking nonsense and focus on other issues.
They could also arrange for the processing of claims to be done on the continent so that everyone who comes to the UK is a legal migrant.

Britain will not rejoin EU in my lifetime, says Starmer

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ill-not-rejoin-eu-in-my-lifetime-says-starmer

Keir Starmer has insisted the UK will not rejoin either the EU, the single market or the customs union within his lifetime, in his firmest pledge yet that Labour will not seek much closer relations with Europe for as long as he is prime minister.
The Labour leader told reporters on Wednesday he did not think Britain would go back into any of the three blocs while he was alive, all but ruling out rejoining even if he wins a second term in office.

In recent days, the Labour leader has begun talking more freely about what his party would do in power, as polls continue to suggest it is heading for a landslide victory. He also said on Wednesday, for example, that he would seek to extend the parliamentary timetable immediately after the election to allow more time to legislate before the summer.

What do you mean by a deal with the EU?
Not the way Starmer is talking.

Open up embassies and take up the offer of a place in Calais for exmaple?

Legal routes and a half-decent processing system are a must. But from what I understand the Dublin III Regulation lapsed post-Brexit. Getting a deal like that for the UK to process claims in France or to return a number of claimants whilst safe routes are set up and our processing system is sorted is probably the most pragmatic measure to take. That will require a large payment from the UK to the EU.

Britain will not rejoin EU in my lifetime, says Starmer

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ill-not-rejoin-eu-in-my-lifetime-says-starmer

Keir Starmer has insisted the UK will not rejoin either the EU, the single market or the customs union within his lifetime, in his firmest pledge yet that Labour will not seek much closer relations with Europe for as long as he is prime minister.
The Labour leader told reporters on Wednesday he did not think Britain would go back into any of the three blocs while he was alive, all but ruling out rejoining even if he wins a second term in office.

In recent days, the Labour leader has begun talking more freely about what his party would do in power, as polls continue to suggest it is heading for a landslide victory. He also said on Wednesday, for example, that he would seek to extend the parliamentary timetable immediately after the election to allow more time to legislate before the summer.

Idiot.

That coilition fecked over the people of my generation too, but it seems odd that we're blaming the Lib Dems party of 2024 for the policies of a mainly Conservative government from 2010. The Tory party have fecked over every generation bar the boomers and anyone older than that for the last 14 years.

Nick Clegg was the Richard 'the hamster' Hammond to Cameron's Clarkson - just looking on with a daft smile from the sidelines under the delusion he held a position of influence and importance.

How bad the Tories would have been without the Lib Dems, we'll thankfully never know, but Clegg is in the dustbin of history now. Their current manifesto is probably the most fair, ambitious and progressive of the lot.
Not seen their manifesto but do you believe it's actually achievable? When you've got no hope of winning you can say/promise whatever you want.

How are the green party and Corbyn centrists?

Just saying that the label "far-left" that people in the UK like to use is way off. Far left is what the Catalonian Party in Barcelona is, or what KKE in Greece is.

Legal routes and a half-decent processing system are a must. But from what I understand the Dublin III Regulation lapsed post-Brexit. Getting a deal like that for the UK to process claims in France or to return a number of claimants whilst safe routes are set up and our processing system is sorted is probably the most pragmatic measure to take. That will require a large payment from the UK to the EU.

Because it only applies to EU countries, Starmer says no to the EU.

You seriously think France will take back immigrants who have crossed the Channel? They'd only try again anyway.

Starmer also wants to join Horizon, he missed the bit when the UK did after the Windsor Framework was agreed.

I thought Starmer would struggle to survive until 2028. I'm changing to him being gone by 2027.

Last edited:
Just saying that the label "far-left" that people in the UK like to use is way off. Far left is what the Catalonian Party in Barcelona is, or what KKE in Greece is.

I agree they're not far left in the overall political spectrum, though they espouse many policies that in mainstream European politics would be far left.

They're certainly not centrist though, that's too far. Unless you dropped them in the Soviet union.

He's 61 so he's probably right to be fair...just.

He is and we're clearly not rejoining the EU any time soon (from both sides) but to so comprehensively rule out any talk of custom union/ SM etc.....

And the party overall is less well liked than both the Corbyn and Miliband era.

Curiosity here, does the particular stat only look at people who voted Labour in 2017 + 2019 (and who intend to vote Labour now).

It would make sense that those voters feel less enfranchised, as the party has shifted.

But doesn’t take into account voters that didn’t vote Labour in previous elections

He is and we're clearly not rejoining the EU any time soon (from both sides) but to so comprehensively rule out any talk of custom union/ SM etc.....

Why would he say anything different the day before the election? His modus operandi is not to give any headlines away in the next 24hrs to the 'gotcha' media and press questions we have throughout our politics.

Because it only applies to EU countries, Starmer says no to the EU.

You seriously think France will take back immigrants who have crossed the Channel? They'd only try again anyway.

Starmer also wants to join Horizon, he missed the bit when the UK did after the Windsor Framework was agreed.

I thought Starmer would struggle to survive until 2028. I'm changing to him being gone by 2027.

I am not saying what it is likely Starmer would do. I have suffered enough through the failures of this government in relation to Horizon as well. I am saying that a bespoke, time limited agreement with the EU can bridge the gap to the UK getting its house in order in relation to safe routes and a functioning asylum system. The EU are no mugs. It would cost a lot of money. But I think it is possible. Maybe Michelle Mone can cover it from her Scrooge McDuck style vault?

Why would he say anything different the day before the election? His modus operandi is not to give any headlines away in the next 24hrs to the 'gotcha' media and press questions we have throughout our politics.

The headlines are made by what he has said. Surely people who are hoping one day to rejoin will be put off by this stance and vote for someone else.

The headlines are made by what he has said. Surely people who are hoping one day to rejoin will be put off by this stance and vote for someone else.

He's not said anything different today that what he's said throughout the last 6 weeks though, maybe now it has been with a bit more definition but to think otherwise is just misguided hope for some.

I am not saying what it is likely Starmer would do. I have suffered enough through the failures of this government in relation to Horizon as well. I am saying that a bespoke, time limited agreement with the EU can bridge the gap to the UK getting its house in order in relation to safe routes and a functioning asylum system. The EU are no mugs. It would cost a lot of money. But I think it is possible. Maybe Michelle Mone can cover it from her Scrooge McDuck style vault?

But cost a lot of money to do what? France have more asylum seekers than the UK.
When they cleared the camps years ago they moved them all over France but they just made their way back again to the coast.

But cost a lot of money to do what? France have more asylum seekers than the UK.
When they cleared the camps years ago they moved them all over France but they just made their way back again to the coast.
As has been mentioned before, you could have UK staff on French soil processing claims. You could even have the UK pay for repatriation flights from France or other EU countries and cover any housing or associated costs in France.

Also yes, use embassies and consulates, and also use the French navy and coastguard to do as much as possible to prevent small boats and ultimately save lives. None of this works without setting up many safe and legal routes, but you clearly need transitional measures in place to ensure the backlog can be dealt with. Plenty of asylum and refugee charities have come up with many similar workable ideas over the past few years, for them all to be ignored. Listening to them would be a start from the next government.

E: I should add - cost a lot of money to ensure the UK works with EU countries to deal with these asylum claims. Any proposal which needs another country's participation will involve the UK paying up. Like you have intimated - the EU won't do us any favours, and rightfully so.

Yes but he's re-emphasised it the day before the election. Why say anything .

Clarity, the problem with our media & press in this country is the 'Gotcha!' elements of politics. A deviation from anything he's said in the prior 9 months or so leading up to tomorrow would give cries of U-Turns galore, doubling down in some way means he's staying consistent and there's no ambiguity ahead of tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.