• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking with certainty about his education, qualifications, career and field of expertise. These are indisputable facts.

Doesn't make what you said an indisputable fact.

I don't doubt he has expert knowledge on the matter considering his vocation and experience, I just doubt him being a good person with moral integrity, evident by the shocking stance he's taken on a genocide.

Being a human rights lawyer doesn't equate you to being a decent person.

I think we uncovered the roots of his unpopular stance re Gaza when this was being discussed in the other thread. He's inclined towards Israel because he is married to someone who is Jewish and is bringing two kids up in that faith. I do think he's wrong in his failure to condemn what is happening in Gaza. That's definitely a moral failing but this doesn't mean he doesn't have any moral integrity in other areas of his life. It also doesn't mean it's impossible for him to be a good person. He's just very wrong on one particular topic. But people can be complicated like that. As I only found out recently, Starmer's career before moving into politics was basically defined by having an extremely strong moral code. Dedicating huge chunks of his time to defending people in need, for no money. It's genuinely quite impressive.

I don't doubt he has expert knowledge on the matter considering his vocation and experience, I just doubt him being a good person with moral integrity, evident by the shocking stance he's taken on a genocide.

Being a human rights lawyer doesn't equate you to being a decent person.
Pogue is listening to a podcast from this man
GO6s_20WUAAYvKO

GO6s_2yXIAAF7fq

Maybe wealthy was the wrong word but you're definitely not an average working person, so I think it's understandable why you personally are happy he didn't win.

Maybe it would have, maybe it wouldn't. It's just hilarious that it's so acceptable for a country to decay by trying right wing policies that only benefit a few but God forbid a country try left wing policies that are aimed at helping the majority.
Because traditionally, they have not worked. Is there a good example except the little Norway, whom wealth came primarily cause of oil, where such thing work?

And well, Corbyn had two shots at it. He went as left wing as you can legally go. He lost twice, getting demolished the second time around, while running against Boris fecking Johnson.

That's not what counts when you are talking about a mandate to govern. 33.7% is not a mandate. In fact it's a disgrace that such a percentage has resulted in that many seats.

Labour are just lucky the right collapsed and the voting system is broken.

The amount of seats he has and so he can then pass legislation is the mandate he needs. That’s the FPTP voting system.

2 left to go. Basildon (dunno) and Skye (which seems like it should to go SNP).

PR in this election would probably see Reform as the opposition. That’s the danger of it we have to accept.
It would still be the conservatives, they got 24% of the vote compared to reform's 14%

I really can't shake the belief that the UK is by default a centre right country and the only way to win power is to appeal to that part of the spectrum.

The left are too divided and more concerned with singular issues compared to the right.

My Constituency is a new one that took in all sorts of pockets from various boundaries, so whilst I wasn't sure how it would end up I really didn't believe Labour was going to get the win and they didn't. The elected MP of the former constituency has held his seat since before I was born and I fully expected Reform to pick up many of the Tory voters which they did. Labour gained less than 2k votes whilst reform got 10k.

I might be mixing you up but if I remember correctly you never did respond to my question about Gaddafi's actions against civilians in Benghazi

Where is the post so we can continue the discussion?

If you can't locate it. I will try to answer here. Did I ever defend Qaddafi or say he was a good person? He was a dictator and that is enough to describe him. But even dictators have degrees of evil, he was not Saddam level evil.

Was it justified to ruin a country and hand it extremist islamist groups at the time?

Benghazi specifically had 3 different extremist islamist factions that took control of it after the civil war.

My stance on the legality of NATO involvement and destroying the country does not mean I support the Qaddafi regime. Was the Iraq war legally justified? No. Does that mean a horrible dictator like Saddam should stay? Also no.

We can take this discussion elsewhere.

I really can't shake the belief that the UK is by default a centre right country and the only way to win power is to appeal to that part of the spectrum.

The left are too divided and more concerned with singular issues compared to the right.
It's good to have reform in one sense, that the right wing vote is finally split. The centre/left have been split between the Lib Dems and Labour in England and the SNP/LD/Lab in Scotland. Now in this election, the Greens and Independents have been siphoning off the left wing votes as well.

That's not what counts when you are talking about a mandate to govern. 33.7% is not a mandate. In fact it's a disgrace that such a percentage has resulted in that many seats.

You mean Labour are lucky that the vote on the right has been split for the first time ever? Labour have always bled votes to the Lib Dem’s, Greens, SNP. Conservatives don’t have a free hit anymore.

The exit polls that came out at 10pm used data from 20,000 people from 133 polling booths and predicted 410 for Labour. Labour will end up 412-14 seats in the final results, that is absolutely incredible work tbh.
Yeah they got a few seats horribly wrong but overall an accurate prediction.

Have we ever seen the PM’s partner through their resignation speech? I don’t remember seeing that before, was incredibly distracting!

They won the most votes, lucky that FPTP gave then a massive majority of the back of it, but they still comfortably won the most votes. FPTP has given plenty of previous winners legs up aswell. It's the system, labour played it well so did the lib Dems. The Tory collapse gave them the opportunity, and they have they both taken it well.

Although overall there cute share is only marginally up from last election, there has been significant swings in some seats particularly where they have ousted Tories from long standing Tory seats. There muslim vote collapsed because of the Gaza situation but they have taken votes from Tories in traditional Tory strongholds to make up for it.

Where does Sunak stand on the list of worst prime ministers? Just ahead of Truss? Just ahead of Truss and Boris?

Is that some great revelation? The whole world is that way. Left wing politics doesn't really work outside a classroom.

Based on recent history, that is quite right.

Cameron has to be right up there, purely because of Brexit.
Yeah, probably. Thing is, without Brexit he would be remembered easily as the best Tory PM this century, but the damage from that single decision (which he didn’t even support) is greater than that of any other PM. He also ruled so long compared to others.

Now for a total horror show, imagine Truss being PM for 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.