General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One of the biggest disappointments of the night is Goldsmith getting in by 45 damn votes.

A smaller disappointment s is Rudd and IDS also being re-elected even though there were rumours one or both could go.

One of the biggest disappointments of the night is Goldsmith getting in by 45 damn votes.

A smaller disappointment s is Rudd and IDS also being re-elected even though there were rumours one or both could go.
Yup, shame. How close was IDS? Would love few things more than to see him piss off.

So how stable will this potential DUP/Tory government be?
i think it would be stronger then been made out by the media.

Look at it this way the Consevertive and Lib Dem ran a fairly stable government and their polies where miles apart going into that government.

This time it would be a smaller majority, but two parties that are closer together on policy and beliefs.

Is it too much to hope the Tories take from Scotland and give to Northern Ireland to placate them, subsequently pissing off the Scots for the next election?

So many possibilities and few to none good for the Cons.

My self control is being seriously tested by Tory boys spouting utter bollocks on LinkedIn right now.

Yup, shame. How close was IDS? Would love few things more than to see him piss off.

I think it wasn't that close in the end but there were rumours. Justine Greening barely held on although she's more of the average Tory than of the despicable Brexiteeer variety.

Their where 3000 votes in it in the end.

That was the best part of the whole night when the reports started circulating he might lose his seat..... but like everything else about last night hopes where mainly dashed.

It's really not bollocks. You either agree with their views, you disagree with their views or you are apathetic to their views. Those are the only options. If you find them abhorrent then you cannot be happy with them being in a position of power. It's common sense. I would agree with you that this is a better result than I was expecting in terms of voter turnout, the shift back to Labour, the country seemingly rejecting the proposition of a hard Brexit but there's no way I can describe this as 'happy'. At the end of the day, we have the same failed government that we had before with the prospect of climate change denying homophobes being invited along for the ride just so that the failed government desperately manage to cling to power. You're right, that's a great result. You may not be convinced that the DUP are going to do a deal, but it's what is being reported at every source and the alternative is a Tory minority government which simply won't happen as the SNP and Labour will vote against anything they propose, or a Labour minority government which has even less chance of happening, or another general election which nobody wants.

The thing I dispute is them 'being in a position of power'.

Perhaps you are right about the outcome, hard to be sure until we know how we are leaving the EU.

Genuine question: would it be such a bad idea for the government to form a bipartisan Brexit negotiating team? Get in some of the elder statesmen and women on a cross-party basis (Brown, Heseltine, Cable, Salmond etc) and try and do it properly and moderately. Then have a referendum on the terms after the negotiations are complete?

The negotiating team could get on with it on a cross-party basis, regardless of whether we have another election in a few months, or what party is in power. It's such a big deal for the future of the country, it needs to be elevated above the level of party politics, especially as no party can command the confidence of the country.

I can only picture the Queen slapping May with a fan that has Strong written on one side and Stable on the other.

i think it would be stronger then been made out by the media.

Look at it this way the Consevertive and Lib Dem ran a fairly stable government and their polies where miles apart going into that government.

This time it would be a smaller majority, but two parties that are closer together on policy and beliefs.

But they have a leader who's reputation is in tatters and Brexit to deal with

out of interest who had to show ID when voting?

One of our friends got turned away for not having two forms of ID. I just handed over my polling card and got asked my address.

One of our friends got turned away for not having two forms of ID. I just handed over my polling card and got asked my address.

You don't need ID. That should be reported to the police.

All you need is your name and address.

Decent speech from Farron tbf, although his little quips are infuriating. Shame that the result doesn't suggest he's going to step aside.

You don't need ID or your polling card. Are you sure they didn't go to the wrong polling station?

Genuine question: would it be such a bad idea for the government to form a bipartisan Brexit negotiating team? Get in some of the elder statesmen and women on a cross-party basis (Brown, Heseltine, Cable, Salmond etc) and try and do it properly and moderately. Then have a referendum on the terms after the negotiations are complete?

The negotiating team could get on with it on a cross-party basis, regardless of whether we have another election in a few months, or what party is in power. It's such a big deal for the future of the country, it needs to be elevated above the level of party politics, especially as no party can command the confidence of the country.

From my POV yes to the first bit, no to the referendum, as that would incentivise the EU to give us the worst possible deal.

I didn't even take my Polling Card, they were fine with just my address and name. Really dodgy asking for ID

But they have a leader who's reputation is in tatters and Brexit to deal with
true, but then in 2010 the country was struggling in recession, and we had one party wanting austerity and one party wanting to invest.....

I'm not claiming its ideal for them, but its workable for them.

As much as I agree with most of Farron's views, I was hoping he'd go, so the LD can get a decent leader, such as Jo Swinson.