General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I understand why Corbyn supporters are buoyed by the result but in our electoral system share of the vote is akin to football managers boasting about possession. Nice and you'd want more than less but to the bottom line often fairly meaningless.

Corbyn supporters? You mean Labour supporters?

The momentum and seats gained are not meaninglessness however much some might want to diminish it.

I understand why Corbyn supporters are buoyed by the result but in our electoral system share of the vote is akin to football managers boasting about possession. Nice and you'd want more than less but to the bottom line often fairly meaningless.

I don't think anyone would have expected a Labour win at such short notice. What this result has done though is made Corbyn a more legitimate candidate to win an election. If there is another election in the near future (coalition doesn't work) Labour will probably win.

The DUP will support the Tories on Brexit as long as they get their wish for a soft border but they could find themselves in trouble in their working class unionist heartlands if they start backing more Tory austerity so passing a budget is were this thing could all fall apart.

Corbyn supporters? You mean Labour supporters?

The momentum and seats gained are not meaninglessness however much some might want to diminish it.

It was a similar result to what Brown achieved in terms of the important bottom line of seats won. Far better than expected? Impossible to deny. But I do think some are getting a little carried away. It's a great result from the expectation base that was anticipating annihilation. However when they lost in 2010 if you told me that in two elections time Labour supporters would cheer winning pretty much the same number of seats as that defeat, I wouldn't be blowing up the party balloons.

Seats won 2010 mirrors 2017 give or take. One seen as a disaster, the other a huge triumph. I can't logically see that as progress.

The DUP will support the Tories on Brexit as long as they get their wish for a soft border but they could find themselves in trouble in their working class unionist heartlands if they start backing more Tory austerity so passing a budget is were this thing could all fall apart.

I doubt it, the amount of shit thrown at Alliance since 2010 has ruined their chances and the UUP are a mess, they will still win the seats comfortably.

Someone please educate me about the DUP.
Hear they're detestable.
Anti-gay marriage, extremely, extremely conservative, care about no one but themselves and I won't even go into the secterian killings carried out by the loyalist paramilitaries they support. Oh and backed by the Saudis, and just google the RHI scandal, basically giving their Protestant farmer friends £1.60 of tax payers money for every £1 spent heating their sheds. On top of that, former leader Peter Robinson was involved in the NAMA scandal. I could go on.

when the dust settles is anyone going to be happy with this results?
  • Conservatives didn't get a majority
  • Labour did similar to what they did under Brown which was seen as a failure.
  • Lib Dem have made very little gains after the disaster of 2015
  • SNP slipped back, and seemingly rejected a second referendum
  • UKIP disappeared.
  • Green didn't make inroads.....
The only people who have really won at this election is the DUP

The DUP will ensure no post-Brexit border controls between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. Which only leaves Southern Ireland. I hope to god I'm wrong but it's going to get nasty again.
There will be trouble in Ireland if there is an attempt to put in place a hard border without a doubt.

you do unfortunately have a point.

when the dust settles is anyone going to be happy with this results?
  • Conservatives didn't get a majority
  • Labour did similar to what they did under Brown which was seen as a failure.
  • Lib Dem have made very little gains after the disaster of 2015
  • SNP slipped back, and seemingly rejected a second referendum
  • UKIP disappeared.
  • Green didn't make inroads.....
The only people who have really won at this election is the DUP
Labour's result and recovery is, in context, an undoubted victory. It's an absolutely massive swing. If they hadn't ballsed up Scotland so spectacularly in the 00s, they'd have prevented the Mordor/Isengard coalition.

So what's most likely here, a DUP Conservative coalition?

Anti-gay marriage, extremely, extremely conservative, care about no one but themselves and I won't even go into the secterian killings carried out by the loyalist paramilitaries they support. Oh and backed by the Saudis, and just google the RHI scandal, basically giving their Protestant farmer friends £1.60 of tax payers money for every £1 spent heating their sheds. On top of that, former leader Peter Robinson was involved in the NAMA scandal. I could go on.

Ooh they sound lovely.

We've not learnt anything new here let's face it. The country is split down the middle between lefties and righties and if anything both sides have grown ever more extreme in their views. I think Labour gained so much because they swung further to the left.

Interesting times ahead.

From my own point of view I'm disappointed in the sense that it seems that Corbyn won't be going anywhere for the time being, I'm not a huge fan of his although would be churlish not to admit his performance was far better than I would ever contemplate. But from a card-carrying 'Remoaner's' point of view I'm delighted that this really has put a spanner in the works of that smug, smirking, arrogant prick David Davis and his approach to the EU negotiations that was beginning to look terrifyingly cavalier.

IDK about your personal circumstances but there are a lot of people in this country who are getting a very raw deal. The future looks bleak even for people earning a decent income. People want real change, they want a society that focuses on them, not on profits. There is a big swing to the left coming because of desperately people need help.

I doubt it, the amount of shit thrown at Alliance since 2010 has ruined their chances and the UUP are a mess, they will still win the seats comfortably.

Presumably Alasdair McDonnell won't be standing next time round so could conceivably see them losing one of their gains in South Belfast with a more progressive SDLP candidate combined with more tactical voting but was thinking more of how it might affect them in the next assembly elections which could be mere months away themselves.

It was a similar result to what Brown achieved in terms of the important bottom line of seats won. Far better than expected? Impossible to deny. But I do think some are getting a little carried away. It's a great result from the expectation base that was anticipating annihilation. However when they lost in 2010 if you told me that in two elections time Labour supporters would cheer winning pretty much the same number of seats as that defeat, I wouldn't be blowing up the party balloons.

Seats won 2010 mirrors 2017 give or take. One seen as a disaster, the other a huge triumph. I can't logically see that as progress.

I understand your logic but i don't agree, momentum is everything and you can't compare the politiical situation with what we had with Brown. Substantial games are to be celebrated.

Besides people are only happy with the context of the situation in mind. You're just being a bit of a downer

you do unfortunately have a point.
Not really though. Theresa May called the election to increase her majority in the house of commons and get a 'mandate' from the British people that she can basically do whatever she likes without even really having to worry about any rebels within her own party, never mind the opposition. Instead, she has lost her overall majority and will have to, at the very least, make some compromises in order to find a solution. The chances of seeing Corbyn in number 10 are extremely slim, but that doesn't mean that these results haven't significantly eroded the strength of the Tories.

Edit: Oh, and that's not even getting to the vastly increased likelihood that another election will be called well before the 5 year term, and the message that it has given to the Conservatives regarding what a large proportion of the population thinks of their choice of policies.

Labour's result and recovery is, in context, an undoubted victory. It's an absolutely massive swing. If they hadn't ballsed up Scotland so spectacularly in the 00s, they'd have prevented the Mordor/Isengard coalition.
im not sure victory is the right word..... its a massive achievement considering, where they where going into this, the public perception of Corbyn going in to this, the blatant and openly Bias media......

It feels like a victory becuase we went into this expecting to get whooped, and only ended making a fight of it, but when it comes down to it, we (as i voted for labour) lost, and when the dust settles, and we see the conservatives in power, it will feel a lot less like a victory.

What exactly does this result tell us about her "mandate" ? She wanted the best Brexit so now has she got a mandate for the worst Brexit ?:confused:

Happy with this result. Hope it will mean an end to the nonsense of a hard Brexit.

Sound perfect to help bring back all those jobs in the fox hunting industry.

Get Cameron in, offer the Lib Dems soft Brexit if they prop up the coalition and feck off the DUP.

It'll be like old times.

Not really though. Theresa May called the election to increase her majority in the house of commons and get a 'mandate' from the British people that she can basically do whatever she likes without even really having to worry about any rebels within her own party, never mind the opposition. Instead, she has lost her overall majority and will have to, at the very least, make some compromises in order to find a solution. The chances of seeing Corbyn in number 10 are extremely slim, but that doesn't mean that these results haven't significantly eroded the strength of the Tories.

Edit: Oh, and that's not even getting to the vastly increased likelihood that another election will be called well before the 5 year term, and the message that it has given to the Conservatives regarding what a large proportion of the population thinks of their choice of policies.
they have has eroded their power, and they will have to listen a bit more to other parties, but when it all boils down, the conservatives will still likely be in power and have by far and away the most sway of the direction the country goes.

Happy with this result. Hope it will mean an end to the nonsense of a hard Brexit.

How can you be happy with creationist, homophobic, religious fundamentalist climate change deniers being brought to the table? There are lots of positives for the future as a result of this election but there's not much to be happy about right now.

That's like failing to see progress in Manchester United because you won the treble in 1999. A lot has happened in between and expectations were excruciatingly low this time.