General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sinn Fein don't take their seats. Wouldn't matter if they backed it or not. It's only 4 seats anyway.

Boris didn't jump ship, he fell to intrigue. Gove, for his involvement, became persona non grata. Most of the other leading figures stood for the leadership. Gisela Stuart was Labour and in no position to do so.

No idea why you're mentioning Farage; sod all to do with what i supported, and not even an elected representative at Westminster.

In any event, none of this is an excuse for May's conduct. What's your actual point?

My point is when you had a chance to lead you can't find no one. Now your complaints about May just sounds like perennial whining. You had your chance to put a brexiter in the hot seat and drive it your way... And failed to do so. I don't remember no intrigue on Boris, he just lacked spine. False claims on NHS and immigration were the news immediately after Brexit as I recall clearly.

May was in a rock and hard place and I doubt you or any 14 year old could do a better job. It was a lame job ofc, but that's the best possible at that time. A bit more spine would present a better picture to the plebs, but nothing really canybe achieved by anyone else in same place.

My alerts just exploded! :lol: Thanks for the answers everyone. I'll try and follow the thread.

The expectation was that the Tories would end up with 360+ seats. To not even get a majority is awful on their part if it turns out to be true.

Because some people are a bit deluded about the coalition possibilities.

There really isn't much scope for any sort of "stable" coalition like there was in 2010. Largely because of huge disagreements on Brexit and Indyref.

The Tories have very few people they can form a coalition with. The Lib Dems won't touch them, so all they have is the ulster unionists. It might not be enough.

Because we are overwhelmingly left leaning and were braced for Labour losses and a Conservative majority of 50+

Instead of which we are heading for a hung parliament. With the high water mark being a Labour minority government and the low water mark a Conservative majority close to the pre-election one.

becuase its better then tories just having a majority and been able to do what ever they want! at least if this exit poll is right(which i'm still very doubtful about) they have to listen and compromise, thats a win considering what we though was going to happen(and probably still will)

Ok I am lost

Tories will win

Lib dems don't want a coalition

Why are we so happy?
May should get ousted and hopefully not a Tory majority.

What that means thereafter, feck knows, but I'll take either of the above.

I can't be doing an all nighter, I expect I'll wake up to see Tories have scraped a majority.

Thanks! Is a coalition is looking likely? Those still seem like very high numbers for the Tories. Why is everyone so happy?
If the Tories, who have promised parliament a vote on the Brexit deal I think, stay in power, they might be forced to go for a soft Brexit or even reverse it.

A much, much softer Brexit would surely be the answer to a SNP/Labour/Lib coalition? I can't understand how they could join otherwise.

Can someone please explain what's going on for a first time voter. Not got a clue about exits polls and hung parliaments

Even if Conservatives end up with 20 extra seats, it shows the gamble for a snap election was a failure for May. She wanted to increase her mandate by 40+ seats, not 4.
it is a failure for may, but it still leaves us with a tory government that doesn't need to compromise.

Biggest point isn't Tories not losing vote share, it's UKIP going Labour. Incredible really, not predicted.

I may be wrong, but to be the leader of a Party you have to be a MP , if she loses her seat, she loses everything.
She could still be pm for a while, what would most likely happen is an mp in a very safe seat would resign and she would stand there in the by-election

Thing is, suppose the exit poll is wrong and the Tories do get their majority (just). May is still a failure.

That's what I was wondering. Even if she gets the same result as before, she's wasted about 6 weeks, a lot of effort and money to gain nothing. At the least, it undermines her image as a brillaint leader that the Tories had built up since she took over.

I can't quite grasp what coalition would develop based on these numbers. Even with our own nutters DUP here in N.Ireland siding with them, that's only 8 (usually).

Would the Lib Dems really do it again after what happened last time?

They couldn't possibly do that. How on earth would they work out what to do with Brexit?

She could still be pm for a while, what would most likely happen is an mp in a very safe seat would resign and she would stand there in the by-election

Can't see it, why would any MP give up their seat for a failure of a leader who couldn't even hold their own seat?

It makes you think what could have been, had Labour got behind Corbyn and there wasn't all the infighting... still May probably wouldn't have called the election.