Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Why did they need cgi wolves? The characters seem to barely interact with them anyway and we only glimpse ghost now. Why not use real wolves, a few false perspective tricks and colour their eyes red in post?

Cgi is lazy, it looks clunky and they claim it costs a fortune. A well placed feather duster could have done done half the job and wouldn't have all that weird digital distortion everytime the wolf scratches.

They're good dogs, Steve.

They're not though, they're shit 1980's looking effect dogs that are supposed to be monstrous Wolves.

They should have been CGI or excluded completely.

Of course not.

Nor is it harder than making a fecking pointless zombie polar bear, but they made sure they spunked a load of last seasons budget on that shite too.

But you know, no room in the budget for a CGI character which has been around since S1 and has actual emotional importance to Jon. Only for zombie fecking bears.

Yeah theres no way its a budget problem, for whatever reason they've made a decision to exclude and limit their role in the show as much as possible.

If they've made this decision because they think their inclusion is promoting the breeding and sale of huskies, and a more prominent role in the show would only increase this. Fair enough but just come out and say that then.

They're not though, they're shit 1980's looking effect dogs that are supposed to be monstrous Wolves.

They should have been CGI or excluded completely.

Yeah theres no way its a budget problem, for whatever reason they've made a decision to exclude and limit their role in the show as much as possible.

If they've made this decision because they think their inclusion is promoting the breeding and sale of huskies, and a more prominent role in the show would only increase this. Fair enough but just come out and say that then.

Because they are harder to cgi because of the fur coat and lighting? makes perfect sense to me.
This thread is full of A list writers, animators, directors. So convinced in your own version of events, You’re all wasted in your day jobs.

Because they are harder to cgi because of the fur coat and lighting? makes perfect sense to me.
This thread is full of A list writers, animators, directors. So convinced in your own version of events, You’re all wasted in your day jobs.
Then use a dark setting like they did for episode 3 :lol:

:lol: I like it.

To be fair though, these guys are hardly making a good case for themselves with the stupid comments they keep putting out. Dany "forgot" about an entire naval force, Ghost's fur was too expensive to do. They really need better pr if they want to avoid the laughter and backlash ;)

Come on, we've all been there, you're riding around on your dragon having the best of times, and you forget about the psychopathic baddie on the stealth fleet with big massive ballistas that always seems to find you out of absolutely nowhere and has already wiped your fleet out twice before. Give the girl a break.

:lol: I like it.

To be fair though, these guys are hardly making a good case for themselves with the stupid comments they keep putting out. Dany "forgot" about an entire naval force, Ghost's fur was too expensive to do. They really need better pr if they want to avoid the laughter and backlash ;)
Yes but you’re taking the ‘forgot’ clearly out of context and being obtuse with it, I read the back and for with @ivaldo so not going through it again.
As for the fur, I don’t work with cgi so I wouldn’t know either way, I just take a processionals word on it, probably the wrong thing to do these days.

I like to catch up on GOT here and story line plots I may have missed and interesting hidden things I’ve missed, the wading through the constant mocking of d&d and the characters and how unbelievable so and so is and how shit so and so is, is tiresome. I get it’s just people’s opinions on the show but the constant mocking just to look/feel good is bizarre. Maybe a ‘look how shit GOT is now’ thread would be a good idea so all those mocking and crying can do so in one place and those talking about the story can in here

Yes but you’re taking the ‘forgot’ clearly out of context and being obtuse with it, I read the back and for with @ivaldo so not going through it again.
As for the fur, I don’t work with cgi so I wouldn’t know either way, I just take a processionals word on it, probably the wrong thing to do these days.

Whatever you say :lol:

Btw I happen to know a fair amount about fur shading, cgi movie effects and all that, so we aren't all in the dark on it. Not that I've questioned it personally myself, but since you bring Ivaldo up it's probably best not to do the same and lump everyone in the "oh your just doing it for the sake of it!" crowd.

You do make a logical point, we're not writers and movie makers, we're just venting and sharing ideas. I think Jon Snow saying nothing to the wolf is weird, forget touching, petting it and having an upclose moment with it, say goodbye to the beautiful beast at least.
I agree and when he walked from the wolf, I said he could have at least give it a tidy goodbye, it would have made sense to.
Still, it’s not something to dwell on and use to mock writers and doubt what’s said about wolves and call them cgi liars is all :)
It’s such a trivial thing to moan about. Everyone reacts to leaving people/pets in their own way so there is no right or wrong at the end of the day, just our perception of what we would do

@Redlambs forgot to quote you.

Should have applied or at least emailed advice to the show about rendering wolves. Looks like they needed it :)

@Redlambs forgot to quote you.

Should have applied or at least emailed advice to the show about rendering wolves. Looks like they needed it :)

:lol: I remember when it was first a thing in the 90's, and also messing around seeing if we could get it to work on a PS1 of all things! I'm sure I could have helped ;)

But nah, I'm not one of those having a pop at it for that. It just amuses me some of the things they say. To be fair also, I'm just disappointed in how the shown has gone but if I'm being honest (and not a little bit troll), I don't really see how they could have tied it up brilliantly anyway. GRRM is the main culprit.

Still, it's fun to laugh at some of the silly things they say and memes. I just hope to god the last two episodes are great and finish it off well ;)

Which would be a fine excuse if they havent had Jon and others interact with the direwolves in previous seasons (as per the clip above) when the seasons had less budget.
They could have just had Jon go upto Tormund as he did, and Tormund say something like 'I know how much he meant to you, I saw your goodbye'.

But as they said 'it played out more powerfully that way'
Although all it did was make Jon come off as an ungrateful prick.

:lol: I remember when it was first a thing in the 90's, and also messing around seeing if we could get it to work on a PS1 of all things! I'm sure I could have helped ;)

But nah, I'm not one of those having a pop at it for that. It just amuses me some of the things they say. To be fair also, I'm just disappointed in how the shown has gone but if I'm being honest (and not a little bit troll), I don't really see how they could have tied it up brilliantly anyway. GRRM is the main culprit.

Still, it's fun to laugh at some of the silly things they say and memes. I just hope to god the last two episodes are great and finish it off well ;)

FairPlay mate.

I hope they finish it well, I’ve no doubt I’ll enjoy it at the time and then laugh and be amazed at the internet up in arms about it.

Thing is, the points made re some scenes like cersie not killing them all, that’s what makes tv. How many times have people shouted at the screen watching something when someone is about to do something stupid, or if they just told so and so then the case would be solved but they make the wrong choice. It’s just what makes tv dramatic. Like running in a straight line from arrows, shit as always been happening

Nobody can spell Miss sunday correctly
id30bdxq4mw21.jpg

That’s not a sundae, people can’t even get GOT memes right these days. Quality has nose dived with this show

Yeah they dont help themselves. Some of the stuff theyve done, if they explained better in the behind the scenes, I think people would have given them more slack.

Imagine if the cgi guy came out and said, we tried to film it, but it look amatuerish, so we had to cut it as we couldnt do it justice based on restrictions.
How many people do you think would complain about that?

Yeah they dont help themselves. Some of the stuff theyve done, if they explained better in the behind the scenes, I think people would have given them more slack.

Imagine if the cgi guy came out and said, we tried to film it, but it look amatuerish, so we had to cut it as we couldnt do it justice based on restrictions.
How many people do you think would complain about that?
Or the bit of Danaerys forgetting the existence of Euron's fleet.

I agree and when he walked from the wolf, I said he could have at least give it a tidy goodbye, it would have made sense to.
Still, it’s not something to dwell on and use to mock writers and doubt what’s said about wolves and call them cgi liars is all :)
It’s such a trivial thing to moan about. Everyone reacts to leaving people/pets in their own way so there is no right or wrong at the end of the day, just our perception of what we would do
It is something to mock the writers when they say the scene was more powerful like that. Surely you see how stupid it sounds no ?

It is something to mock the writers when they say the scene was more powerful like that. Surely you see how stupid it sounds no ?
Yea I can’t defend their ways of justifying it to be honest.
I never watch show specials or YouTube vids or interviews though. Just the show itself is enough for me so me being unaware of them saying that, I just interpret the show in my own way.

Pretty good article on esquire that sums up everything wrong with that episode

Problem is. Try writting something better with 90 minutes runtime.

Any internet nerds out there could write a better script than this. But doing it in 90 minutes time is another thing.

The first 4 season can afford a slow burner and the quality shows, but there's only sonmuch you can do with 6 episodes to tie up all the loose end

Any internet nerds out there could write a better script than this. But doing it in 90 minutes time is another thing.

The first 4 season can afford a slow burner and the quality shows, but there's only sonmuch you can do with 6 episodes to tie up all the loose end
Yeah but nobody is expecting it to be perfect and most have said that it's pretty much impossible for them to wrap it all up well in six episodes, but that doesn't excuse blatantly bad writing, shocking character progression (or regression?) and horrendous plot-holes.

"Impossible to wrap it all up in six episodes"

Proceeds to spend 40 minutes airtime on a feast with drunkards everywhere.

I have a feeling that 40 minute feast was done to allow for the character interactions, in one scene which costs less. Obviously its easier to write bits and pieces in different sets, but then it comes to filming, having those different scenes, etc.
I will give them leway on a lot of the stuff. I had no issues with the last episode. Its just they could add things to make it tighter.
-Just say Euron is a master of the sea who can hide ships by manipulating a fog (has previous with doing it to Sandsnakes)
-Have Jon say bye to the direwolf.

I have no issues with the time jumps, from the attack to the dragon, to Euron appearing in KL with Missandei. Clearly a jump in time happened. And same with Dany in the war room to her troops near KL in the sea. Back to land. And then back at KL within about 30 minutes. Its fine as we dont need to see some of the stuff in between if it doesnt help story.

All they really need is an editor to ask "would this be stupid"? Shouldn't be hard to find someone whom they bounce off their writing.

Still I enjoy watching the show and since they have progressed past the books, I don't know what happens, but the lack of quality in writing is annoyingly bad.

I have a feeling that 40 minute feast was done to allow for the character interactions, in one scene which costs less. Obviously its easier to write bits and pieces in different sets, but then it comes to filming, having those different scenes, etc.

Yet they skip Sansa/Arya reaction to Jons parentage...

Yet they skip Sansa/Arya reaction to Jons parentage...

Yeah, this is something that's very stupid to miss. It's one of the biggest thing for last 2-3 seasons, how Jon will react and how Starks will react when they learn he is not a stark. Somehow 0 fecks was given to the scene.

Yeah, this is something that's very stupid to miss. It's one of the biggest thing for last 2-3 seasons, how Jon will react and how Starks will react when they learn he is not a stark. Somehow 0 fecks was given to the scene.

It's because it's information the viewer already knows and so they've decided to skip interesting character development/reaction to push along the story because they're rushing.