Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

That was probably the best episode of this season so far, but even then it was full of silliness.

Also the Starbucks cup :lol:

The show should just be called Game of Puns. I swear, every time I watch it something happens where a natural pun is created.

Like in the latest ep when the two hands were talking to each other, I remarked to my nephew, "I wonder if they're going to engage in hand-to-hand combat".

:nervous:

The problem is the writers aren't good at showing the audience what it needs to know, and hence the backlash.

I'll admit with Kit Harrington's acting skills there's not a lot you can do, he'd of been out performed by Ghost if they had to share a farewell scene.

:lol:

Ghost is practically Day-Lewis compared to Kit.

Seemed like it.
More importantly, from what I understood, due to having the dragons and not knowing about the ballistas, they believed themselves to be somewhat equal in military force. It might have been mentioned without only armies taken into consideration.

I've said it for some time, it'll just be one mad queen against another. I hope Varys kills Dany so Jon can rule alone.

They did know about the Ballistas, Bronn shot Drogon with one last season during the battle when Dany attacked the Lannister caravan. But it didn't do much more than piss him off so maybe Dany thought they weren't a factor.

Just saw on twitter some people actually believe the cup was deliberately there as product placement to help fund the episode :lol:

I'd love it to be true, fecking genius!

People will find a way to excuse anything in this show.

Well yeh obviously, but it’s a plot device to draw parallels with Cersei. When her dragon dies she immediately does away with their rational plan of blockading the cit, instead choosing to kill thousands of innocents. Their fight is ceasing to become good v bad, more two rulers who want ultimate power.

For me thats whats both their aims have been since episode 1.

I mean, Daenery's has every right to be fecked off there. She is the one who lost the most, sacrificed more than all of them, she could have let them all die and is getting 0 credit

I agree. I've been critical of her character decisions a lot but she should be the queen after everything she's done and sacrificed. Sadly she won't get it.

It'll be pretty fecking cheeky if Grey-Worm stops going with Missandei just because a part of her body got chopped off.

:lol: :lol:

They did know about the Ballistas, Bronn shot Drogon with one last season during the battle when Dany attacked the Lannister caravan. But it didn't do much more than piss him off so maybe Dany thought they weren't a factor.
Forgot about that one.

I mean, Sansa has multiple reasons to dislike Dany.
1. She came to the north as it's savior - But if she didn't come she would merely be ruling a land of the dead until she joined them, coming to the north was a move in self-interest.

2. She's obviously power-hungry beyond belief. Demanding things left and right (absolute submission but claims she's around to end tyrany). This along with a lineage of people going mad certainly doesn't bode well for the future.
Now this isn't something Sansa would know before now, but both her and Dany now know that the true monarch is Jon/Aegon, yet Dany goes around spewing shit about being the true queen. There is a reason her closest advisors in Tyrion & Varys are struggling with keeping their lojalty in check. Varys for one has seen many tyrants and sees another one in the making, while Tyrion wants to believe the best but has to drink himself stupid so he doesn't think it through to where he knows it will end up.

3. As we're on to the topic of future, in the scenes before the battle for Winterfell where Sansa and Dany talked where they tried to make up, Sansa more or less asked her if the north would still have to be in the seven kingdoms. Dany of course said yes, if not directly with words she certainly did with her pulling back her hand.

Sansa cares for the north and her family. She is seeing a woman who acts rashly on emotions, who is powerhungry and doesn't care much for the north beyond what is needed for their submission to her, she has also learned from Littlefinger to always picture the worst possible reasons people have for doing what they do, it's absolutely within her character to be extremely sceptical.

On another, unrelated note:
Emilia Clarke suffered from two life-threatening brain aneurysms from what I've read, while making the show. I think the bitching about her supposed terrible acting can be toned down a bit.

People hating Sansa at this point clearly hasn't been watching the show and understanding the characters' development. I've been trying to explain this to people since the first episode. After all she went through at King's Landing, with Ramsey and learning from Littlefinger, Sansa is within her right to do what it takes to protect her family and the north. I think she sees a tyrant in Danny.

The show should just be called Game of Puns. I swear, every time I watch it something happens where a natural pun is created.

Like in the latest ep when the two hands were talking to each other, I remarked to my nephew, "I wonder if they're going to engage in hand-to-hand combat".

:nervous:

Aye. My friend's were all thinking "well done Jaime, you finally had a one knight stand"

People hating Sansa at this point clearly hasn't been watching the show and understanding the characters' development. I've been trying to explain this to people since the first episode. After all she went through at King's Landing, with Ramsey and learning from Littlefinger, Sansa is within her right to do what it takes to protect her family and the north. I think she sees a tyrant in Danny.

This. I don't think she's power hungry. She's just older/wiser and knows Dany is bad business for the North.

Sansa has been my pick to win the game of thrones for a few seasons now.

I hate the ballistas but they were inevitable when the writers wrote out the Horn of Winter also butchering Euron's entire motivations in the process. Also not sure why they even mention the Golden Company when again they wrote out their entire point but I guess its just to make Cersei's army more overpowered.

I've definitely been in the "don't think too hard and just enjoy the ride camp" so the episode was fine but I really have to say the writers have been poor overall.

Definitely, it's not hard to see her character's motives and why she's playing the games she is. Just like this confusion over Jaime, he hasn't suddenly gone bad again, as far as he knows Cersei is still carrying his baby.

Enjoyed the episode as a nice set up but the show is running out of time to tie everything together in a way that I'd like but whatever. Doesn't look like Dario and the second sons are not coming back, there's no hints about reinforcements to help Dany, nothing much going on with Bran. Cersei continually keeping Tyrion alive when she has the chance to kill him is odd but maybe she's hoping to have him help her if things go wrong.

Bye bye Ghost (a seriously lacklustre goodbye scene). Suppose we should be thankful that two of the direwolves survived.

Enjoyed the episode as a nice set up but the show is running out of time to tie everything together in a way that I'd like but whatever. Doesn't look like Dario and the second sons are not coming back, there's no hints about reinforcements to help Dany, nothing much going on with Bran. Cersei continually keeping Tyrion alive when she has the chance to kill him is odd but maybe she's hoping to have him help her if things go wrong.

Bye bye Ghost (a seriously lacklustre goodbye scene). Suppose we should be thankful that two of the direwolves survived.

There were hints in that they openly spoke about Yara and the new prince of Dorne. Not that those are in any way that impressive.

b91n619t9lw21.jpg

:lol:

Looking back at the episode I don't think it was a bad episode like some are suggesting. Yes there are logic holes but if we look in depth there have been flaws since season 1.

I really enjoyed the way the episode started with everyone celebrating (Although, could have cut some parts and done something more important). Really liked the way gendry was rewarded, good story telling.
Loved the tension between Sansa and Dany. Also, good logic of involving Arya into the conversation as she is a stark.
Tormund was gold in comedy this episode, some nice relief after the tension of last episode.
Again maybe in minority but I liked Bronn's scene with Lannister brothers. Funny yet effective. Bronn doesn't give a feck about anything but money so he stayed to his character.
Last 15 odd minutes was pretty good. Build up to the final war. Although, must say danny has been the biggest loser so far with all these war. Lost half of her army, lost Jorah, Lost two dragons and now lost Missandei.

Now my major complaint was the way they didn't even show the conversation between Arya, Jon, Sansa and Bran, and also the conversation between Sansa and Tyrion which revealed Jon was a targ. That was too important moment to be just skipped like that.

Oh wait, Euron's ironborn are destroying ships with the scorpions too :lol:
I still underestimated Qyburn, not only stabilized machine gun ballistae, they are actually firing rockets :lol:

He’s basically a wizard who brought back the Mountain as Frankenstein’s zombie and helped blow up a sept with super dooper green fire and this is this is the thing people find difficult to believe?

There were hints in that they openly spoke about Yara and the new prince of Dorne. Not that those are in any way that impressive.

Yeah, I did like that reference to Dorne. Even if people hated everything about that storyline it shouldn't be forgotten as being part of the seven kingdoms.

Why didn't Dany just come from the side/back of the ships and burn down the entire fleet? She's on a fecking dragon

Maybe the mention of the dragons hardly eating in the first episode of the season wasn’t just a throwaway line and they’re significantly weakened?

I can’t think of any other reason why she wouldn’t have just torched them in retaliation.

He’s basically a wizard who brought back the Mountain as Frankenstein’s zombie and helped blow up a sept with super dooper green fire and this is this is the thing people find difficult to believe?
Of course this is the part, because it's the one closest to actual historical technology, without any mention of magic stuff in the making.

Looking back at the episode I don't think it was a bad episode like some are suggesting. Yes there are logic holes but if we look in depth there have been flaws since season 1.

I really enjoyed the way the episode started with everyone celebrating (Although, could have cut some parts and done something more important). Really liked the way gendry was rewarded, good story telling.
Loved the tension between Sansa and Dany. Also, good logic of involving Arya into the conversation as she is a stark.
Tormund was gold in comedy this episode, some nice relief after the tension of last episode.
Again maybe in minority but I liked Bronn's scene with Lannister brothers. Funny yet effective. Bronn doesn't give a feck about anything but money so he stayed to his character.
Last 15 odd minutes was pretty good. Build up to the final war. Although, must say danny has been the biggest loser so far with all these war. Lost half of her army, lost Jorah, Lost two dragons and now lost Missandei.

Now my major complaint was the way they didn't even show the conversation between Arya, Jon, Sansa and Bran, and also the conversation between Sansa and Tyrion which revealed Jon was a targ. That was too important moment to be just skipped like that.

I get where you're coming from, but we've seen this play out so many times now as the audience. We've basically known of Jon's parentage for some time, then we had it confirmed by Bran and Sam, then Sam telling Jon and THEN Jon telling Dany. Personally i'm glad they cut there as i didn't want to sit through another telling of it.

That bron scene would feels like perhaps the most shoehorned part of the whole series... Which is quite a feat.

I'm not sure things had to feel this rushed... They could have just made ten episodes

Yeah, that was weird. Bron was acting totally out of character (he’s blunt but not a cnut) and is then just like “yeah, see ya later when the war and shit’s over”. It’s either a rubbish send off to the character or a set up to an even lamer send off in the final episode. I’d rather have just seen him get randomly knocked off somehow than that nonsense.

I thought the Bronn scene was fine, they've established himself as a cutthroat grifter throughout the whole thing so far, so makes sense he'd end up as one of the high lords. Only ridiculous part was him just strolling into Winterfell but then that's standard for the show now - once you ignore the silly logic which allowed him to do that it's an alright scene.

You also have to ignore that Tyrion promised something which isn't his to give and Bronn just accepted without a care in the world.
If they made it Casterly Rock instead of Highgarden, with a plea to their friendship then whatever.
But imagine Tyrion asking Dany to give Highgarden to Cersei's hired knive, because he threatened him with a crossbow.
If you take that away too, what's left of the scene? It's like they put zero thought into their writing.