Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

It really wasnt all that different. And I dont mind people criticizing it, I have plenty of times. It's just the absolute joylessness that amazes me. I've watched some shows to the bitter end that sucked way worse than this (sons of anarchy) and I just had them on while doing something else and fast forward liberally. I certainly didnt write weekly essays about every little detail.
Has it occured to you, that some prople enjoy this? I think to many people it's not that important wether or not the show is actually good, they just derive their joy from writing about and discussing it. Others like me are just disappointed and like to vent.
What I find much weirder are those who seem to take such issue in that. Why would anyone care about some strangers opinion about a show? If I was happy about the show as it was, I wouldn't give a shit about the moaning and whining.

Very, very strong last 20/25 minutes of that episode imo. The rest of the episode was middling. Some good moments, some not so good. Some of the dialogue, as with much of the show over the past few seasons, wasn't great.

But the last 20 minutes or so i thought were phenomenal. Great tension and great drama. The best the show has been in some time for me. Really looking forward to next week now after being thoroughly disappointed by last week.

With everyone I meant the characters on the show.. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.

Sure the Dothraki charging thing was dumb (but yes I believe it was for the visuals and more importantly the sheer terror of seeing all the lights just go out. For that it was certainly effective) but so was Stannis sailing into a funnel like tiny bay right at the base of the most fortified part of King's landing and I heard very few people complain about that. And that was supposedly one of the great tactical minds on the show. If things not making sense is what you re gonna hang your hat on you may wish to rewatch the entire series.

Nah man, I'm with you on all that.

Just seems rather poor that things can be completely reversed like that in back to back episodes. But of course, no one is expecting Cersei to actually take out Dany there, but perhaps it could have had some kind of reason that "just because".

Great episode but the Bronn scene is just terrible. He should have been written off ages ago, it's clear they have nothing for him.

I've seen the left over Starbucks cup too....somebody is getting a slap for that this morning.

Slap for what? All the contracts would have already expired after the filming was done. The joke is that none of the editors saw a gaffe like that while working on the tape.

Okay, I was just asking. In that case then yes its silly

Silly, but it also would have been silly for the show if they did end her there and then too.

They write themselves into one stupid situation after another. Bit still, I am eager to see the last two eps and how it all ends, so maybe I should just shut up and try to enjoy whatever they throw at us :lol:

Great episode but the Bronn scene is just terrible. He should have been written off ages ago, it's clear they have nothing for him.

I've seen the left over Starbucks cup too....somebody is getting a slap for that this morning.

Yeah that scene rubbed me the wrong way too. I've always liked Bronn really, but this scene i didn't like at all. He's always been a cocky fecker and a bit loose with the tongue, but they really, really amped it up in this one and i just found in grating.

Team Dany all the way.

I think Bronn gets executed with Tyrion giving the order. I'd say he and Jaime are sick of Bronn's scheming.

That Starbucks cup is probably meme-y product placement.

I mean, Sansa has multiple reasons to dislike Dany.
1. She came to the north as it's savior - But if she didn't come she would merely be ruling a land of the dead until she joined them, coming to the north was a move in self-interest.

2. She's obviously power-hungry beyond belief. Demanding things left and right (absolute submission but claims she's around to end tyrany). This along with a lineage of people going mad certainly doesn't bode well for the future.
Now this isn't something Sansa would know before now, but both her and Dany now know that the true monarch is Jon/Aegon, yet Dany goes around spewing shit about being the true queen. There is a reason her closest advisors in Tyrion & Varys are struggling with keeping their lojalty in check. Varys for one has seen many tyrants and sees another one in the making, while Tyrion wants to believe the best but has to drink himself stupid so he doesn't think it through to where he knows it will end up.

3. As we're on to the topic of future, in the scenes before the battle for Winterfell where Sansa and Dany talked where they tried to make up, Sansa more or less asked her if the north would still have to be in the seven kingdoms. Dany of course said yes, if not directly with words she certainly did with her pulling back her hand.

Sansa cares for the north and her family. She is seeing a woman who acts rashly on emotions, who is powerhungry and doesn't care much for the north beyond what is needed for their submission to her, she has also learned from Littlefinger to always picture the worst possible reasons people have for doing what they do, it's absolutely within her character to be extremely sceptical.

On another, unrelated note:
Emilia Clarke suffered from two life-threatening brain aneurysms from what I've read, while making the show. I think the bitching about her supposed terrible acting can be toned down a bit.

With everyone I meant the characters on the show.. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.

Sure the Dothraki charging thing was dumb (but yes I believe it was for the visuals and more importantly the sheer terror of seeing all the lights just go out. For that it was certainly effective) but so was Stannis sailing into a funnel like tiny bay right at the base of the most fortified part of King's landing and I heard very few people complain about that. And that was supposedly one of the great tactical minds on the show. If things not making sense is what you re gonna hang your hat on you may wish to rewatch the entire series.

Wasnt the whole point of Stannis charging into Tiny Bay because that was the weakest part of Kings Landing defense? Stannis knew it, but so did Tyrion which allowed them to prepare for it but unlike the Dothraki charge which was wiped out instantly, Stannis still continued and had pretty much won the battle until Tywin marched up last minute to save the day.

Surely Jamie would have known about the ballistas. So he kept quiet about them on purpose? He was in the war room right?
Jamie left because his allegiance was with Cercei after the war for humanity was won.
He probably kept it tight under wraps so it would be a surprise and a bonus for "his"/Cercei's side.

Sansa cares for the north and her family. She is seeing a woman who acts rashly on emotions, who is powerhungry and doesn't care much for the north beyond what is needed for their submission to her, she has also learned from Littlefinger to always picture the worst possible reasons people have for doing what they do, it's absolutely within her character to be extremely sceptical.

I can buy that completely if Sansa hadn't immediately acted liked a dick. But the problem is that Sansa threw the toys out the pram straight away. It was like a teenager talking to adults. Had Sansa been calm and composed in that first meeting, watching what Daenerys was saying/doing then I think i'd buy into it more. She's now just becoming a Cersei clone imo.

Also why tf did they decide to skip Jon revealing his true ancestry to Sansa and Arya? Could have been a brilliant scene that

The actors playing the roles don't have the talent nor the depth to do those scenes justice. Best to leave them out. :D

Predictions for next week/ rest of the season:

Big battle incoming next episode as it's directed by Sapochnik. I predict many casualties.

Daenerys/ Jon's armies will take a beating, only to be rescued by Yara and maybe Tormund returning for one last battle.

I reckon over the last couple of episodes we're going to see the deaths of:
- Cersei (possibly at the hands of Jaime)
- Euron
- Qyburn
- Jon
- Daenerys
- Drogon
- The Mountain
- The Hound
- Grey Worm
- Bronn
- Varys will be executed for treason

And like a previous prediction states, it will leave Gendry as the rightful heir to the throne.

Jamie left because his allegiance was with Cercei after the war for humanity was won.
He probably kept it tight under wraps so it would be a surprise and a bonus for "his"/Cercei's side.

He wasn't in the war room then? I didn't pay attention to the details but didn't he leave way after that scene? Or do you mean he left the war council? I'll have to rewatch that bit again I guess.

edit: yeah just watched that scene again and he wasn't in the war room. Guess he skipped telling them about the ballistas.

Latest episode currently rated 7.6 on IMDb, which is sure to plummet further the more time passes since its air time. On course to be the worst rated episode in Game of Thrones history. By a long way, too.

Says it all, really.

Bah Gawd!!!

The thing with Dany, though, is that she's suffered loss with Jorah and is acting very emotional. It's one thing to tease the impending meltdown of her character, but there's sympathy too for her character because we're aware she's in a fragile emotional state. Sansa likewise has suffered loss with Theon, however, the difference in how Dany treats Sansa and viceversa is interesting. The undermining of Dany, even prior to knowing Jon is a rightful heir, is a flaw in Sansa's character, and her lack of discretion in keeping Jon's secret just adds to that impression of Sansa as being a hypocrite.

No it's not. The last Targ that ruled the seven kingdoms burnt her grandfather and uncle. That was the current queens father. The last time a southern ruler showed up at Winterfell her brother was paralysed and her father was taken south where the king's son had him beheaded.

They fought in a massive war to untangle the north from the southern realms which cost her her mother and brother but they managed to do it. Why should she just give that up and kneel to a queen that she neither trusts or wants?

Wasnt the whole point of Stannis charging into Tiny Bay because that was the weakest part of Kings Landing defense? Stannis knew it, but so did Tyrion which allowed them to prepare for it but unlike the Dothraki charge which was wiped out instantly, Stannis still continued and had pretty much won the battle until Tywin marched up last minute to save the day.
Your point is?
Tyrion still wants Cercei & her child to survive, so he has a motive to not comment on it. On the other side, the fact that it was a used weakness of Kings Landing means they likely would have prepared better for it in case it happened again. It's also noteworthy that having the Iron Fleet means that if it's a water-battle, they are likely the winners there.
Tyrion has been a awful hand as his double-lojalty to two sides at war has been commented on multiple times already by the characters in the show.

I can buy that completely if Sansa hadn't immediately acted liked a dick. But the problem is that Sansa threw the toys out the pram straight away. It was like a teenager talking to adults. Had Sansa been calm and composed in that first meeting, watching what Daenerys was saying/doing then I think i'd buy into it more. She's now just becoming a Cersei clone imo.
I'm fine with saying Sansa has some huge character-flaw. But again, she just had to deal with potential in-fighting due to Littlefingers schemes and ended last season on the note that "the lone wolf dies but the pack survives" spiel. I see her focus on the north & the Starks. The north doesn't want another king in the north apart from one named Stark. Her paranoia/attmepts to act on what she learned from Littlefingers way of thinking is definitely creating friction where there doesn't need to be friction.
She is after all someone who learned from Littlefinger, not Littlefinger himself who was better at keeping his emotions in check.

Really pissed-off with them killing Rhaegal like that - after having him survive last week I thought they might actually have him do something useful rather than just endlessly focusing on Drogan, but no there he goes as pathetically as ever :mad:

Poor Ghost as well :(

I think he survived so that Dany can see how vulnerable the Dragons are. Gendry is probably gonna have to make Drogon Armour

He wasn't in the war room then? I didn't pay attention to the details but didn't he leave way after that scene? Or do you mean he left the war council? I'll have to rewatch that bit again I guess.

edit: yeah just watched that scene again and he wasn't in the war room. Guess he skipped telling them about the ballistas.
I don't remember if he was there.
My point is that if he wasn't there, he wouldn't have told them, and if he was there he still wouldn't have told them.

Your point is?
Tyrion still wants Cercei & her child to survive, so he has a motive to not comment on it. On the other side, the fact that it was a used weakness of Kings Landing means they likely would have prepared better for it in case it happened again. It's also noteworthy that having the Iron Fleet means that if it's a water-battle, they are likely the winners there.
Tyrion has been a awful hand as his double-lojalty to two sides at war has been commented on multiple times already by the characters in the show.

I think you're not understanding. Lambs and Redplane were discussing Stannis attack on Kings Landing in Season 2. Re read the conversation to get better context.

I think you're not understanding. Lambs and Redplane were discussing Stannis attack on Kings Landing in Season 2. Re read the conversation to get better context.
My bad. If it's about another situation then I'm off. :p

I don't remember if he was there.
My point is that if he wasn't there, he wouldn't have told them, and if he was there he still wouldn't have told them.

He was happy enough to let them know about the Golden Company. Which they wouldn't have known about without his intelligence.

He was happy enough to let them know about the Golden Company. Which they wouldn't have known about without his intelligence.
I'd certainly assume that they would be there with or without his information if we go under the assumptions that the Golden Company is a known army that works for money, and that Cercei has money. :p
But that part seems like fair enough criticism.

Yeah I don't believe for a second he deliberately didn't tell them or he's actually done another u-turn.

Even in a show written by two guys who don't do logic, that's just plain daft.

Besides Dany knows they have them, how ridiculous what it be if she didn't expect more...

Bar the whole "getting ambushed by a fleet" thing, this was the best episode so far with some really good tension and plotting going on. How does one fleet get "ambushed" by another fleet within visible distance off the shore of Dragonstone? No spotters?
I liked most things apart from the Pirates of the Caribbean interlude and the scene with Bron and the two brothers.

I thought the Bronn scene was fine, they've established himself as a cutthroat grifter throughout the whole thing so far, so makes sense he'd end up as one of the high lords. Only ridiculous part was him just strolling into Winterfell but then that's standard for the show now - once you ignore the silly logic which allowed him to do that it's an alright scene.

I see other people enjoyed it like I did. I thought maybe I just had bad taste.

I enjoyed it for what it was. There were some major plotting issues and Cersei not killing Tyrion in the final scene was baffling, but as for establishing the conflicts of the last couple of episodes it was alright. Glad they've brought Varys into the fold and actually given him something to do.

I could maybe understand Euron's ships managing to sneak attack the Dornish people back in season 6, when he killed the Sand Snakes (though still unlikely because it's not as if you are completely blind in the dark, your eyes manage to adjust to the dark in a few minutes and you can actually see quite a lot) but how did he managed to sneak them in plain daylight, with dragons patrolling?!

Also, how the hell did Euron know she was coming there? I hope they reveal there's a spy in Dany's camp otherwise it won't make sense at all.

How did they know the war with the army of dead was over. How did they know that the living had won and they didn't have to fight the dead. A spy is the only thing that makes sense.

Thats precisely the reason why I loved GoT in the first place, it was intelligent. It was a refreshing change to the superhero genre and shows like Walking Dead. Guess thats why i'm disappointed.
I get that and agree that first 4, maybe 5 seasons were like that. But 7th one especially was uber brainless Hollywood stuff, I mean you had Dany swooping in on a dragon for a big save in same way as Arya in last one. So I am just surprised people are so disappointed now in this season while were fine with Season 7? Last great proper GOT episode was Winds of Winter.

I get that and agree that first 4, maybe 5 seasons were like that. But 7th one especially was uber brainless Hollywood stuff, I mean you had Dany swooping in on a dragon for a big save in same way as Arya in last one. So I am just surprised people are so disappointed now in this season while were fine with Season 7? Last great proper GOT episode was Winds of Winter.

I think some people who were disappointed with S7 thought it'd just be a lackluster bridge until they got to the finale where they'd know what they were doing because it was the endgame - not really been the case though.

Latest episode currently rated 7.6 on IMDb, which is sure to plummet further the more time passes since its air time. On course to be the worst rated episode in Game of Thrones history. By a long way, too.

Says it all, really.
Yeah, that IMDB is not a reliable metric. And a lot of nerds were in love with Missandei. NTTAWWT

More because Tyrion knew of the passage is the way I understood it. If we compare it to real world strategies that make sense, like folks did with the other battles on the show, then it seems to be rather silly.

KL defenses should ve been able to rain fire upon the fleet and landing troops (other than wildfire I mean) - I mean.. Look at how strong the defenses appear on the land side where Dany was yesterday. So.. From what Stannis had to deal with on the show it might have made some sense but normally you would think KL defenses both natural and man made should have never even allowed him to have a chance. Landing troops on a very narrow piece of land in a bay that has no room for all those ships made zero sense. Usually you don't just get to take turns dropping your troops at the base of your enemy HQ. In a way the wildfire destroying many ships helped I guess.. It would ve been a bit of a boat pileup entering the harbor otherwise.

Last edited:
Rhaegal's body was pushed up North by strong currents or something. Tormund and Ghost realised that the easiest way to Hardhome is through Eastwatch instead of Castle Black so they go North East and find the washed up corpse of Rhaegal. Tormund pours giants mill over the dead dragon and he comes back to life. Now Tormund and Ghost spend their days flying about on Rhaegal, and they live happily ever after.

Whilst singing feck off to Brienne and Jon

Says it all, really.

Just looked at that, crazy how highly rated the episodes are generally.

I think out of all the deaths I cared the most about Dolorous Edd and even then I'm thinking fair enough. Didn't really give a shit about Theon, Missandei, Jorah, whoever else died.

It'll be pretty fecking cheeky if Grey-Worm stops going with Missandei just because a part of her body got chopped off.

The problem is the writers aren't good at showing the audience what it needs to know, and hence the backlash.

Jaime goes on a 10 year arc, fighting his knight self, kingslayer self, sister-banging self. Comes out on the side of good, redemption, sacrifices (likely) himself in a battle against the dead, then wakes up and goes back to Cersei? All we need is explanation that wasn't the garbage he told Brienne. Him alone saying, I've tried, but you're still everything. Done.

Automatic ballistas that are stable on ships? Harder, but fine, insert a scene testing them, and maybe don't make them f'cking auto reload, and only have 3 or 4.

Sansa hating Dany? No problem, 30 seconds of dialogue where she says that no Southern monarch has allowed the North to be free, and her one squad goal is a free North.

I'll admit with Kit Harrington's acting skills there's not a lot you can do, he'd of been out performed by Ghost if they had to share a farewell scene.