Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this deal ends up falling apart and he stays United will not be the big loser. Barca will end up keeping a player they don't want/need who is on huge wages they can't afford. FDJ will end up staying at a club that is trying to force him out, has no plans of starting him and does not want to pay him his agreed on contract.

It seems to me like FDJ will be the big winner if the deal ends up falling apart, which is precisely the stumbling block. He gets to stay at his lifelong dream club and get paid 90m euro over the next four years to do so. How can that not be a big win?

The idea that staying at a club trying to force you out is some kind of massive negative is very fanciful. Xavi will try to win football matches and play his best team. If that means starting FDJ most of the time in La Liga and the CL, that is exactly what he will do. More broadly, while the FDJ situation is obviously unusual in certain respects, it is very common that a club wants to sell a player and yet they resist the pressure to leave. How many players would United like to sell right now who don't want to go to a less desirable club for less money? It really isn't some kind of rare and intolerable situation.

I know you're somewhere out there
Somewhere far away
I want you back, I want you back
My fellow Caf think I'm crazy
But they don't understand
You're all I had, you're all I had

At night, when the stars light up my room
I sit by myseeeeeelf

Talking to De Joooooonoong
Trying to get to yooooouuu
In hopes you're on the other side talking to me too
Or am I a fool who sits alone talking to De Jong?
Oh-oh

I'm feeling like I'm famous, the talk of the Red-Caf
They say I've gone mad
Yeah, I've gone mad
But they don't know what I know
'Cause when the sun goes down, someone's talking back
Yeah, they're talking back, oh

I sit by myseeeeelf

Talking to De Jonooooooong
Trying to get to yoooooou

Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah
Do you ever hear me calling?
(Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah) oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh

'Cause every night, I'm talking to De Jooooong
Still trying to get to you
Oh-oh

Somewhere far away...

Melody: Bruno Mars - Talking to the moon (De Jong)

It seems to me like FDJ will be the big winner if the deal ends up falling apart, which is precisely the stumbling block. He gets to stay at his lifelong dream club and get paid 90m euro over the next four years to do so. How can that not be a big win?

The idea that staying at a club trying to force you out is some kind of massive negative is very fanciful. Xavi will try to win football matches and play his best team. If that means starting FDJ most of the time in La Liga and the CL, that is exactly what he will do. More broadly, while the FDJ situation is obviously unusual in certain respects, it is very common that a club wants to sell a player and yet they resist the pressure to leave. How many players would United like to sell right now who don't want to go to a less desirable club for less money? It really isn't some kind of rare and intolerable situation.
Well Phil Jones springs to mind.

That’s if he gets the money and keeps his place in the team.

Neither are certain.

Barca have a preseason game tonight against the fighting Phil Neville's in Miami. It will be interesting to see how much game time FDJ gets.

Dropping him is a dumb 'solution' also. If he spends 6 months sitting in the stand his transfer value will drop by the 20m they owe him. Not that i think it'll actually happen

That’s if he gets the money and keeps his place in the team.

Neither are certain.

He’ll get the money if he stays. He has a contract.

Xavi will play his strongest team in order to win matches and compete for trophies. If that includes FDJ, he’ll keep his place.

Xavi will play his strongest team in order to win matches and compete for trophies. If that includes FDJ, he’ll keep his place.

I dont get why people think he wont get his money, its in his contract to get a certain wage, thats what he will get this season.

On the team, Xavi will play him in his team, its not a question.

Yes because Barca are great at paying their debts right?! They still owe a number of players millions and at the rate they are going they won’t even exist by the time his contract expires.

Its far from a safe option being involved with that club at the moment.

I dont get why people think he wont get his money, its in his contract to get a certain wage, thats what he will get this season.

On the team, Xavi will play him in his team, its not a question.

They don’t want to give him the money. They already owe players millions. The club may look very different in a few years.

Barca is far from a safe bet at the moment in terms of stability

Its impressive that people have the mental stamina to talk about literally the same thing over and over again

They don’t want to give him the money. They already owe players millions. The club may look very different in a few years.

Barca is far from a safe bet at the moment in terms of stability

They don't have a choice, when they defered the wage, it was structured in a way that the money defered is being paid from 2022.

So this season his wage goes up and it does next season too. Thats how he is repaid, its not a lump sum payment.

They dont want to give him the money but its the contracted wage.

Its impressive that people have the mental stamina to talk about literally the same thing over and over again

I was thinking exactly this.

Must 100s of pages now of non-sensors spouts about something that people clearly l have no idea about.

And to think that there is another few weeks before the season starts and more weeks until the transfer window closes.

The page count will be at 2000 and people will still be talking about whether he is or isn’t coming or if he will or won’t get paid

So when’s the next crescendo of optimism quickly followed by a downturn to depression going to happen?

I feel like this stupid saga has at least another one in it, as long as the reputable sources change their tune and say it definitely won’t happen.

I think a fairly definitive moment in this whole saga will come with the start of the La Liga financial year or whatever it is termed which I believe is July 30th. It seems that this is the point when their salary budget will be set for the year and this will once and for all determine if they can fit FDJ and their new signings inside of that budget. The consensus from those in the know is that they cannot and this is where it would become a real pain point that might encourage them to cough up the cash to get Frenkie to go away. Barca or more specifically Laporta have been claiming that thanks to the levers this is not the case but the fact that they are still insisting FDJ write off the 17M and take an additional pay cut of around 40% on top of that to stay suggests they are bluffing.

Yeah, we'll show him, we'll not buy anyone and be shit again next season, oh man, that's going to get him good. It's 2022, United have no business signing FDJ, so we are going to have to put up with a lot of shit and go above and beyond to get it done. When we're back to winning the league and challenging for the CL we can tell players to do one, until then, put your shame to the side.

Because despite our midfield apparently being the worst midfield professional football has ever seen, the only player we can sign to improve it is FdJ?

I wish some would get their narratives lined up. We either have a collection of shit midfielders and anybody would be a step up, or we have a decent midfield which can only be improved by recruiting the very best, which FdJ allegedly is. (Not seen any evidence of it myself in the admittedly limited times I’ve seen him, but hey ho)

I was thinking exactly this.

Must 100s of pages now of non-sensors spouts about something that people clearly l have no idea about.

And to think that there is another few weeks before the season starts and more weeks until the transfer window closes.

The page count will be at 2000 and people will still be talking about whether he is or isn’t coming or if he will or won’t get paid

Most of Football in general is stuff we, as the fans know nothing about, or can’t confirm. For me, it’s fun. I enjoy talking about it, speculating, being optimistic - it’s fun. Should we not talk about anything we can’t confirm or don’t know the ins and outs of?

I say lighten to up to everyone who seems offended by transfer threads and saga’s.

Somewhere far away
I want you back, I want you back
My fellow Caf think I'm crazy
But they don't understand
You're all I had, you're all I had

I sit by myseeeeeelf

Talking to De Joooooonoong
Trying to get to yooooouuu
Oh-oh

I'm feeling like I'm famous, the talk of the Red-Caf
They say I've gone mad
Yeah, I've gone mad
But they don't know what I know
'Cause when the sun goes down, someone's talking back
Yeah, they're talking back, oh

I sit by myseeeeelf

Talking to De Jonooooooong
Trying to get to yoooooou

Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah
Do you ever hear me calling?
(Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah) oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh

'Cause every night, I'm talking to De Jooooong
Still trying to get to you
Oh-oh

Somewhere far away...

Melody: Bruno Mars - Talking to the moon (De Jong)

Great stuff, we’ve gone full RAWK.

I read somewhere recently that Barca offered to pay him his deferred wages over 3 years but he wanted it in one installment and that is part of the current hold-up. IF this is true, it definitely sounds like someone who is done with Barca and doesn't trust the board anymore.

Barca should do what they have done in the MLB and offer to pay a larger amount but broken up over a longer period of time. Like 25mill over 10 or 15years vs 17mill in one installment.

At some point he’s got to realize that he’d be better off taking 350k a week at United and not getting his money owed from Barcelona than stay at Barcelona and play for 90K a week over his current deal.

Yeah. This thread is just everyone saying the exact same thing over and over again for the past few hundred pages. All driven by bullshit merchants on twitter.

We've discussed the financial angles extensively, and Barcelona's new signings, but another aspect of this saga is whether Frenkie fits into Xavi's tactical plans. Do Barca fans here really see FDJ as surplus to requirements, or more importantly, whether you Barca fans believe that Xavi believes that Frenkie is surplus to his requirements?

I suppose the delay is due to the legal wranglings going on behind the scenes to ensure Frenkie gets the money he is owed. If he has to stay to get it he will. And rightly so... the ball is in his court really, he's got the control, it's up to Barca to come to some kind of solution.

I read somewhere recently that Barca offered to pay him his deferred wages over 3 years but he wanted it in one installment and that is part of the current hold-up. IF this is true, it definitely sounds like someone who is done with Barca and doesn't trust the board anymore.

Barca should do what they have done in the MLB and offer to pay a larger amount but broken up over a longer period of time. Like 25mill over 10 or 15years vs 17mill in one installment.

So they have to add the vig.

In today's breaking news, FDJ has said he is not going anywhere and Barca has said they want him gone and United have agreed to pay 75M + 10.
In tomorrow's news, FDJ has said he is not going anywhere and Barca has said they want him gone and United have agreed to pay 75M + 10.

Most of Football in general is stuff we, as the fans know nothing about, or can’t confirm. For me, it’s fun. I enjoy talking about it, speculating, being optimistic - it’s fun. Should we not talk about anything we can’t confirm or don’t know the ins and outs of?

I say lighten to up to everyone who seems offended by transfer threads and saga’s.

You seem to think I’m offended. I most definitely am not that!!!!

I just find it laughable. It’s 100s of pages of the people saying the exact same thing, day after day.

Just find it odd and a bit boring.

I just happen to have popped in at the time that @AndySmith1990 posted his comment and I agreed.

It’s bullshit posted on the back of other bullshit posts or bullshit from the media/social media.

It’ll be done when it’s done.

Or it won’t

Barca are a joke really. How on earth do they let there best player they’ve ever had go in the likes of messi because they couldn’t afford to keep him yet there now going out buying every player they can think of whilst not paying current players what there owed! Absolute shambles

So when’s the next crescendo of optimism quickly followed by a downturn to depression going to happen?

I feel like this stupid saga has at least another one in it, as long as the reputable sources change their tune and say it definitely won’t happen.

Tonight depending on if he starts/plays at all

At some point he’s got to realize that he’d be better off taking 350k a week at United and not getting his money owed from Barcelona than stay at Barcelona and play for 90K a week over his current deal.

His deal automatically ramps up. That's the point of signing a contract based on deferring payment to later years.

Why would he sign at deal that took him from 16m to 3m in 2021 and 9m in 2022 and leave it at that?

This is why he's staying where he is right now. Man Utd are prepared to pay the going rate for his services but not this AND the extra money barcelona are obliged to pay him if he just stays where he is.

Barca are making a lot of noise but ultimately they will come back to the table since they want to do a deal to free up funds for all these incoming players.

His deal automatically ramps up. That's the point of signing a contract based on deferring payment to later years.

Why would he sign at deal that took him from 16m to 3m in 2021 and 9m in 2022 and leave it at that?

This is why he's staying where he is right now. Man Utd are prepared to pay the going rate for his services but not this AND the extra money barcelona are obliged to pay him if he just stays where he is.

Barca are making a lot of noise but ultimately they will come back to the table since they want to do a deal to free up funds for all these incoming players.

They’re a shit club, they’ll use the fans and their media lackeys to put all the pressure on him to accept a wage cut and not pay him 450k a week.

It’s their same playbook when they want a player, like you saw with fabregas, they’ll use mob fear as a tool to get what they want.

Tantalisingly close to 900 pages with pretty much the same shit in different words

What's the record?

Would be really useful if the title for this thread could say "no update today" or something to save churning through peoples posts (no offence to anyone) just to find there haven't been any updates.

They don't have a choice, when they defered the wage, it was structured in a way that the money defered is being paid from 2022.

So this season his wage goes up and it does next season too. Thats how he is repaid, its not a lump sum payment.

They dont want to give him the money but its the contracted wage.

I’m sure he thought they wouldn’t have a choice in paying him if he wanted to leave too..

Nothing with Barca is certain currently nor may the club be in existence in the near future.

You’d be naive to think otherwise

We've discussed the financial angles extensively, and Barcelona's new signings, but another aspect of this saga is whether Frenkie fits into Xavi's tactical plans. Do Barca fans here really see FDJ as surplus to requirements, or more importantly, whether you Barca fans believe that Xavi believes that Frenkie is surplus to his requirements?

I personally believe Xavi doesn't rate Frenkie for the role he wants him to play and would rather sell the player to buy Bernardo Silva. Currently, with Kessie/Gavi for that role, they will offer the same as Frenkie but for half of the wage price. Pedri is our best midfielder when fit so he's a guaranteed start. Busquets is still the DM although he is declining (we will need a replacement very soon). I think the club saw Frenkie as a potential Busquets replacement but he's proven he can't play there and hasn't shown enough imo to warrant a formation change to suit him. He for sure isn't worth the wages Bartomeu gave him, as with many of the players signed under him.

Doesn't mean he's not a top player but he's been very inconsistent at Barca, a move is best for all parties. I think many on this forum are overrating him a bit and much of his hype is still coming from that Ajax CL run, he isn't the total solution for midfield and you would still probably need another DM to play next to him. Current Fred/McT won't get the best out of Frenkie but EtH is a great manager so perhaps they improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.