Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had said this some time ago but i was ridiculed.
Well here it is from the boss himself:

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag admits he would have preferred to have gone into pre-season with a fully equipped squad that would have ideally included Frenkie de Jong
I think if he wasn't confident that we'd get him he would have ended the negotiations and walked away by now. Its clear that de Jong had told him something positive about joining

I wonder when this new contract begins? Could it be he's waiting until it activates before moving?

That is a good question, I am only guessing here so I think it started in July 2022, to be clear, De Jong joined Barca in Jun-2019, and because of pandemic, he singed a new contract in Oct-2020, what starts now are the high wages, because in the new contract, he was paid only 3M in 2020/2021, and 6M in 2021/2022, so from 2022/2023, his salary goes up to 18M annually for next 4 years

I think if he wasn't confident that we'd get him he would have ended the negotiations and walked away by now. Its clear that de Jong had told him something positive about joining

Of course, i know that but i had said that any manager wants all his players before the season starts and even on the tour if possible.

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag admits he would have preferred to have gone into pre-season with a fully equipped squad that would have ideally included Frenkie de Jong
He also said he was realistic about the situation

He also said he was realistic about the situation

Being realistic does still mean that any manager would want all his signings early to get them to understand his football philosophy.

They wouldn't bother opening negotiations if De Jong explicitly told United he wasn't interested. ten Hag brought him through Ajax, they have obviously discussed this extensively.
Well his future wages are a big issue so they want rid if he likes it or not.

Being realistic does still mean that any manager would want all his signings early to get them to understand his football philosophy.

I assume thats why we aren't so concerned about the FdJ saga running all window. He won't take much if any time to come up to speed with the tactical requirements of EtH.

Ridiculed? There’s not a person on the caf that would deny any manager would prefer to go into pre-season with a fully equiped squad :lol:

Barca are continuing to take the piss by splashing the cash on other players but withholding wages from one of their current players. It's like they are just laughing at the situation.

Barca is not withholding any money. Every player gets payed on what was agreed on so far. It would be nice if this misinformation would stop somewhere along the line.

What if he said ok if I have to leave Barca, but I'd prefer to stay...
That is what's happening I reckon. Bit more fun when a player actively wants to join but ten Hag seems desperate to get him and he's supposed to be talented as feck, so balls to it.

Barca is not withholding any money. Every player gets payed on what was agreed on so far. It would be nice if this misinformation would stop somewhere along the line.
:lol: stop white knighting nobody cares here

I thought the $17m owed was why this had stalled?

They are owed in the future, starting this season. But if he leaves now, barca doesn't owe him a penny legally. At least that's what logic says, because if he had any legal claim on the money despite the transfer, he would have left already.

They are owed in the future, starting this season. But if he leaves now, barca doesn't owe him a penny legally. At least that's what logic says, because if he had any legal claim on the money despite the transfer, he would have left already.
That's pretty damn shady, though. He deferred the payments in this way to aid Barca and they are now trying to force him out without paying him what he's owed because of the way the payments are structured. Just pay the man.

That's pretty damn shady, though. He deferred the payments in this way to aid Barca and they are now trying to force him out without paying him what he's owed because of the way the payments are structured. Just pay the man.

nobody is forcing him out.
Yes, the club pressures him through the press, but nothing officially is done. He is part of the pre season, every barca official says the club doesn't need him to leave. Would the club like him to leave this summer? Definitely. Does the club force him out? Definitely not.

It’s funny how our biases lead us to listen to an interview and come to a completely different conclusion. For me it seemed obvious that he thought the player would soon become “available” and therefore they are not panicking into a Plan B.

The fact he mentioned developing a player in that position made me think they've considered things and he would just continue with what he has, unless there is another player out there that he considers to fall under the bracket of the first part of what he said. We don't know if he was referencing de Jong alone, but he obviously considers it a possibility that we may not get him/other targets.

Course and it depends how much Frenkie wants to stay. Personally I think if the officials at Barca basically tell him in no uncertain terms to get out and he isn't wanted then he will sort out his payment and go.

He's a professional footballer at the height of his powers, he has to be playing football.

They have just accepted a bid for him, so assume that conversation is going to happen at some point.

If they took that approach then yes. But I've not seen or heard of anything like that. Instead I'm seeing them tweeting photos of de Jong and him 'working hard' plus the fact they took him on tour. It doesn't feel at all like he's being pushed out, at the moment.

Which is why it's so complicated and easy to see why he'd say he's going nowhere even if he was willing to leave. He'd have basically took a pay cut for no reason if he leaves now with no pay off.

They can certainly put a shit load of pressure on him by showing him on tour that he’s gonna be a backup option for the season.

Perhaps, I just can't see them leaving him on the bench every game though. I believe he was one of the last back to pre season training, so I expect he might not start the first game or two. We'll see in a couple of weeks how they are using him.

Fully agree..... I can really state that if de Jong didn't see the project at MU and his responsibility in that project , that it is appeeling to him.... he already had stated official NO! if it was not interesting for him. FDJ is a real humble guy (but not on the pitch... he wants to win) and an honest guy. He only feels pissed because he was helpinghis dreamclub in the pandemic and a year after that dreamclub wants to backout of your contract because they do not want to pay the wages agreed. Believe me... De jong is really interested in the project of getting MU back in the top of the EPL...

So what’s it today. Are we getting Di Maria vibes and walking away or are we unzipping and letting out the snake.

As far as I know they don't have to do anything. I've never heard this before? If we can't convince the player then it's deal off and we walk away.
And the fact that we haven't walked away shows we haven't faced any failure or ABSOLUTE failure to convince the player which is what you and others here have been alluding to and what a lot of people here are saying isn't the case, at least not yet

I don’t know why people are still saying he wants the money owed :lol:. He doesn’t want to leave at all, it’s nothing to do with money.

Not only that but there's been reports that he is also owed loyalty bonuses of some sort also for the past 2 years. So the amount owed is probably considerably more than the 17m euros being quoted on here.

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think Iqbal will play more than a handful of minutes

He'll play in the cups. I'd like to see him play with the first XI in one of the friendlies to see what he's capable of. He didn't look out of place playing against the full Pool midfield (Fabinho, Thiago, Keita?) even if they weren't fully fit. That little dummy to send Fabinho off was a thing of beauty.

Anyway, I think he'll coach one of our existing mids (either Fred or Eriksen) into that FdJ role if necessary in the league. The build-up patterns are there already - fullbacks wide / high. One of the mids stays around the center circle, other drops to make a back three with the CBs.

Couple that with a lot of intense rondos in training where players are being forced to play inside, receive ball under pressure, I think we'll get a lot better at keeping the ball.

Barca are not officially owing FDJ. The deffered payment wasnt a deffered perse. My guess would be that FDJ in covid times agreed to a paycut with barca offering an incrementally larger wage in year 3 to account for covid. Maybe 100k 200k and 300k after 2nd year onwards.

I also assume there's no legal binding or penalty accrued since it's practically a new contract made before the wages are accrued so it's not officially a debt.

Morally speaking Barcelona are owing FDJ money sure. Perhaps.

FDK would probably lose some potential earning if he moved to United in his 2nd year since the big wages would start to kick in in the 3rd year.

Barcelona do not officially force FDJ out. And up to this point hasnt made a move that can be categorised as forcing a player unethically. Like benching him or sending him to train with kids like we did with BFS. So when it comes to court there's no legal standing in Barcelona trying to force him out. Vague comments made by media arent submittable officially. Barcelona did accept a formidable bid by United, and that's not the same with forcing a player out. At least legally.

FDJ would love his money, rightly so. In no condition of being forced out. Was brought touring, and probably would continue to get game time if he stays.

Barcelona also in no hurry to sell or go bust. They got that covered somehow with their leverage. Stupid moves? Who cares. Laporta is save for a good few years ahead.

Barcelona probably had a decision to just accept the bid. It's a win win. FDJ move they saved money. FDJ stays, no problemo. They might even force United to cover his wages. It's a right logical move since their survival dont hinge on FDJ being sold.

Yes, the club pressures him through the press, but nothing officially is done. He is part of the pre season, every barca official says the club doesn't need him to leave. Would the club like him to leave this summer? Definitely. Does the club force him out? Definitely not.

Yep.

His wages have literally just gone up astronomically if I understand his contract details correctly

And a small part of me hopes he stays with you until 2026 on his current deal and gets every last cent he is due!!!

They have agreed a fee for his sale and told him to leave. Is that not forcing him out? Brainwashed :rolleyes:

we have to assume that the conversations that are going on behind closed doors are very different than those played out in the media

Barca are not officially owing FDJ. The deffered payment wasnt a deffered perse. My guess would be that FDJ in covid times agreed to a paycut with barca offering an incrementally larger wage in year 3 to account for covid. Maybe 100k 200k and 300k after 2nd year onwards.

I also assume there's no legal binding or penalty accrued since it's practically a new contract made before the wages are accrued so it's not officially a debt.

Morally speaking Barcelona are owing FDJ money sure. Perhaps.

FDK would probably lose some potential earning if he moved to United in his 2nd year since the big wages would start to kick in in the 3rd year.

Barcelona do not officially force FDJ out. And up to this point hasnt made a move that can be categorised as forcing a player unethically. Like benching him or sending him to train with kids like we did with BFS. So when it comes to court there's no legal standing in Barcelona trying to force him out. Vague comments made by media arent submittable officially. Barcelona did accept a formidable bid by United, and that's not the same with forcing a player out. At least legally.

FDJ would love his money, rightly so. In no condition of being forced out. Was brought touring, and probably would continue to get game time if he stays.

Barcelona also in no hurry to sell or go bust. They got that covered somehow with their leverage. Stupid moves? Who cares. Laporta is save for a good few years ahead.

Barcelona probably had a decision to just accept the bid. It's a win win. FDJ move they saved money. FDJ stays, no problemo. They might even force United to cover his wages. It's a right logical move since their survival dont hinge on FDJ being sold.
Utd are legally permitted from doing this directly so Barcelona will have to find cash to pay him off or(hypothetical) Utd agree to buy a Barca player being sold for a similar fee to the owed wages(Memphis is available for €20m) and work on finding a loophole from there that will look legitimate on the books

we have to assume that the conversations that are going on behind closed doors are very different than those played out in the media

Yeah but probably not that different either. Each party is leaking their narrative to their own media outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.