Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn’t quite add up though. Barca are trying to push him out and have agreed a sale price. If he doesn’t want to go knowing the club are pushing him out he has to take a firm NO stance. He has to be the one to reject us and shut down the links. The fact he hasn’t means he knows he will probably end up here before September.
All he has to do is not sign.

Except he can? He has a multi-year contract with Barca.

I really don't think he's as convinced to join us as everyone in here seems to think he is. Few things to consider: Messi is owed money, still left Barca, despite them wanting to keep him, unlike De Jong. The reports of his constant communication with ETH have dried up (which is a given, I highly doubt ETH has the time to be speaking to his old mate everyday when he's trying to prepare a team for the upcoming season in a foreign country tour)

Also - he may have told ETH that he was open to it at the start, but just like any individual with any potential occupation change, he may have considered and is no longer as convinced.

Simply put - if he wanted to be here, I doubt he would not have been already.

Just to clarify the bolded, Messi left because his contract expired already and Barcelona could not afford to give him a new contract, Barca still owe him money legally as he has earned the money as per his contract, so at some point, Barca will have to pay Messi.

In De Jong's case, technically, Barcelona do not owe him anything, because his new contract was restructured in a way that he will earn the money he missed out on 2020/2021 & 2021/2022 in his future contract starting from 2022/2023 season until 2025/2026, his new 4 years contract is worth 56M in total fixed wages plus an additional 17M, which he was supposed to receive in the previous 2 seasons but it was removed and then included into his new 4 years contract, so 56+17=73M, then there is loyalty bonuses of 15M (73+15=88M), Marca mentioned those numbers in their article and said De Jong is scheduled to receive 18M in the next 3 season and 19M in the season 2025/2026, these are only the fixed wages, there are also bonuses.

If De Jong leaves this summer, then his new contract is no longer valid, and he will miss the wages that were removed from first contract with Barcelona (17M).

I think it's more about him putting his foot down by hinting that he doesn't want cheap knock offs. However we know the club more then he does so they'll probably interpretate it as you said. Then they will blame him for us not signing a new CM

I don't think it'll be a case of blame but a universal message of "we'll only sign the right players or none at all".

We can't afford another season of McFred especially since our CM is actuallyweaker then last year's. Also playing well in preseason games is a different cup of tea to real football else Periera would have been the new Paul Scholes
Maybe or maybe not...... If he spend big on say Neves and he turns out only half decent most people would bash him for wasted money like they do with Ole and Maguire, so its best we back the manager for now either way.
I personally feel we made our most important signing already, ETH himself.

Last edited:
We've committed €75million euros for Frenkie my concern is when do we give this one up and use that money for other areas that we are in desperate need for if another suitable midfielder isn't available. If we leave this until the end of the window and he doesn't come we may not have time to look at other areas and that's a big concern for me.

Exactly. If he doesn't want the deal to happen he just has to continue to do what he's already doing... Absolutely nothing. The best outcome for him is he stays there in his agreed salary. It's business as usual as far as he's concerned.

Absolutely the best outcome for him, and he plays and stars.
But Barça continue to remind the World that is impossible, so they will continue to do what they can to get him to either sign a new deal (which he’d have zero self worth if he does so after their spending spree), else they incentivise it for him to feck off.
I believe Barça 100% when they say they see his current deal as impossible, otherwise they wouldn’t have negotiated his sale. Until some resolution is found, the saga will run.
How much he starts on tour with the “first team” should tell us which of the options Barça prefer. He starts alot, that’s them trying to convince him to stay and sign a new deal, he is benched and plays with “second team”, that’s them telling him he aint first choice and that he should feck off.

But Barça continue to remind the World that is impossible, so they will continue to do what they can to get him to either sign a new deal, else incentivise it for him to feck off.

They can't make him do anything though, that's the critical point. And since they went on tour all the games in the media seem to have stopped. I don't know how they're forcing him out.

I suspect they will/have accepted he's not leaving and then renegotiate his deal/salary when the relationship is a bit better.

But Barça continue to remind the World that is impossible, so they will continue to do what they can to get him to either sign a new deal (which he’d have zero self worth if he does so after their spending spree), else they incentivise it for him to feck off.
I believe Barça 100% when they say they see his current deal as impossible, otherwise they wouldn’t have negotiated his sale. Until some resolution is found, the saga will run.
How much he starts on tour with the “first team” should tell us which of the options Barça prefer. He starts alot, that’s them trying to convince him to stay and sign a new deal, he is benched and plays with “second team”, that’s them telling him he aint first choice and that he should feck off.
There is no need for a solution, Barce either pay him or screw themselves. It's just a waiting game.

We've committed €75million euros for Frenkie my concern is when do we give this one up and use that money for other areas that we are in desperate need for if another suitable midfielder isn't available. If we leave this until the end of the window and he doesn't come we may not have time to look at other areas and that's a big concern for me.
Midfield is the big area we need to fix.

ETH interview has basically set the groundwork for us not getting him. We'll just say De Jong was the only "available" option that would work and we only want to sign the right players. We've got players who can be developed there etc etc.

It’s funny how our biases lead us to listen to an interview and come to a completely different conclusion. For me it seemed obvious that he thought the player would soon become “available” and therefore they are not panicking into a Plan B.

There is no need for a solution, Barce either pay him or screw themselves. It's just a waiting game.

Well, there's a World Cup coming up that I would assume is on most players' minds. That's about the only lever Barcelona have with this one if they don't want to pay him what's fair to go.

The point just sailed right over your head didn't it?

Subtract the 17M in deferred wages and FDJ would still have a contract earning over 15M net per season because he was already on huge wages and so therefore is breaking the wage structure they are trying to implement. Why would they pay him 17M? Because if they do they can bank the remaining 58M from the sale and save 80M in wages over the next 4 years for a total of 138M and also be free to register every one of their new signings with no concerns over meeting FFP.

Look like alot of points sailing over your head.

From what business do you think Barca care about FFP?

Apparently, I am told they are in real financial difficulty, they sign Kessie and Christensen on a free who will have wages and signing on fees.

Then they go spend 120m on Lewandowski and Raphinia who will both have agent fees and wages too. Barca do not care about FFP, its been proven. Dont forget they even signed Ferran for 50m in January.

Also, can you evidence 15m per season.

They can't make him do anything though, that's the critical point. And since they went on tour all the games in the media seem to have stopped. I don't know how they're forcing him out.

I suspect they will/have accepted he's not leaving and then renegotiate his deal/salary when the relationship is a bit better.
Course and it depends how much Frenkie wants to stay. Personally I think if the officials at Barca basically tell him in no uncertain terms to get out and he isn't wanted then he will sort out his payment and go.

He's a professional footballer at the height of his powers, he has to be playing football.

They have just accepted a bid for him, so assume that conversation is going to happen at some point.

One of them is a solution.

In their shoes I’d do the following in order to convince him to sign a new deal or leave with a lower payout.

Take him on tour, play him in the second team. Put pressure on him that the current status quo is going to mean a lot of time on the bench.

Then they'd need to completely cancel the deal/agreed fee with Utd then. Why haven't they?

They’re bringing players in but in my opinion they should not be allowed to spend on transfers without paying their current roster of players the money they are owed. They’re making their own financial situation even worse which is hard to imagine. How their supporters are behind this is beyond me. As mentioned in my previous post they are headed down the road to liquidation.

Not to mention the unprecedented financial doping
that is the selling of future revenue, absolute bizarre from Barcelona.

You don't know too much about finance if you think this is doping, selling future revenue is a pretty normal financial instrument
They won't get liquidated, actually if you check out swiss ramble, they have a good break down of the financial situation, they are more than likely to be fine in a few years.

I agree regarding paying what they owe, I believe players will get paid, I'm not sure they will pay Frenkie all of his bonuses etc though which is probably the contention at the moment.
Legally speaking though, we don't know what the contract was, and its likely money isn't legally owed at this point which is why this is taking so much time.

I don’t know why people are still saying he wants the money owed :lol:. He doesn’t want to leave at all, it’s nothing to do with money.

One of them is a solution.

In their shoes I’d do the following in order to convince him to sign a new deal or leave with a lower payout.

Take him on tour, play him in the second team. Put pressure on him that the current status quo is going to mean a lot of time on the bench.
But everyone knows it's a hollow threat, they can't afford to do that.

Well, there's a World Cup coming up that I would assume is on most players' minds. That's about the only lever Barcelona have with this one if they don't want to pay him what's fair to go.
Not really, they can't afford to fight that battle.

I don’t know why people are still saying he wants the money owed :lol:. He doesn’t want to leave at all, it’s nothing to do with money.

I think it's because people would like to believe he'd have told his old boss to stop wasting his time. Certainly by now.

Look like alot of points sailing over your head.

From what business do you think Barca care about FFP?

Apparently, I am told they are in real financial difficulty, they sign Kessie and Christensen on a free who will have wages and signing on fees.

Then they go spend 120m on Lewandowski and Raphinia who will both have agent fees and wages too. Barca do not care about FFP, its been proven. Dont forget they even signed Ferran for 50m in January.

Also, can you evidence 15m per season.

It's not about FFP... it's La Liga rules on salaries caps related to revenue. Swiss Ramble did a long thread on Twitter the other day about Barca's finances... how they are still managing to sign players at the moment despite being in financial difficulty, and why they still need to sell players to register the new signings. Also, how De Jong is the one player they don't mind leaving who they can get a decent fee for and free up a chunk of their wage bill.

I'd suggest giving it a read if you want a good idea of what is going on.

It's not about FFP... it's La Liga rules on salaries caps related to revenue. Swiss Ramble did a long thread on Twitter the other day about Barca's finances... how they are still managing to sign players at the moment despite being in financial difficulty, and why they still need to sell players to register the new signings. Also, how De Jong is the one player they don't mind leaving who they can get a decent fee for and free up a chunk of their wage bill.

I'd suggest giving it a read if you want a good idea of what is going on.

I read it. They were already in trouble as per swiss ramble because they were on -144m or something. So taking De Jong's wages and adding 4 players wages is reducing it?

So why have the negotiations gone on this long if he had zero intention of ever leaving Barca? It would have been DOA.

Just to clarify the bolded, Messi left because his contract expired already and Barcelona could not afford to give him a new contract, Barca still owe him money legally as he has earned the money as per his contract, so at some point, Barca will have to pay Messi.

In De Jong's case, technically, Barcelona do not owe him anything, because his new contract was restructured in a way that he will earn the money he missed out on 2020/2021 & 2021/2022 in his future contract starting from 2022/2023 season until 2025/2026, his new 4 years contract is worth 56M in total fixed wages plus an additional 17M, which he was supposed to receive in the previous 2 seasons but it was removed and then included into his new 4 years contract, so 56+17=73M, then there is loyalty bonuses of 15M (73+15=88M), Marca mentioned those numbers in their article and said De Jong is scheduled to receive 18M in the next 3 season and 19M in the season 2025/2026, these are only the fixed wages, there are also bonuses.

If De Jong leaves this summer, then his new contract is no longer valid, and he will miss the wages that were removed from first contract with Barcelona (17M).

I wonder when this new contract begins? Could it be he's waiting until it activates before moving?

I read it. They were already in trouble as per swiss ramble because they were on -144m or something. So taking De Jong's wages and adding 4 players wages is reducing it?
If all the new players and remaining ones stay below the salary cap of less than €10m net then yes

So why have the negotiations gone on this long if he had zero intention of ever leaving Barca? It would have been DOA.
I think because Barce want rid. If he wanted to leave, this would have been done when the fee was agreed.

I think because Barce want rid. If he wanted to leave, this would have been done when the fee was agreed.
They wouldn't bother opening negotiations if De Jong explicitly told United he wasn't interested. ten Hag brought him through Ajax, they have obviously discussed this extensively.

Bingo
Also does anybody actually thinks that Barca is that stupid to declined giving 20m to de Jong, when they can get 75m in return AND save 80m in salary for the next 4 years?
The economical factor make sense for Barca to give Frenkie his delayed wage, rather than holding out 20m and losing 75m and having to pay those salary
Could be because they don’t want to create a precedence where any player who wants to leave can get the deferred money Barca owe. Right now they have the line that if the contract is broken the money is gone which has probably worked so far.

They wouldn't bother opening negotiations if De Jong explicitly told United he wasn't interested. ten Hag brought him through Ajax, they have obviously discussed this extensively.

What if he said ok if I have to leave Barca, but I'd prefer to stay...

This is just getting ridiculous now and you feel Barca are continuing to take the piss by splashing the cash on other players but withholding wages from one of their current players. It's like they are just laughing at the situation. We seem to be committed to this but part of me wants us to tell them to feck off and walk away.

It's not just the wages with De Jong because they also get big money from the sale... they will have also likely been clever and may have structured the new players salaries to be lower in the first year. When their revenues are much higher again in the future, they are banking on this not being an issue for them but they are clearly walking a bit of a tightrope.

The fact that they are signing new players means they almost certainly have to get rid of some.

I had said this some time ago but i was ridiculed.
Well here it is from the boss himself:

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag admits he would have preferred to have gone into pre-season with a fully equipped squad that would have ideally included Frenkie de Jong

They can certainly put a shit load of pressure on him by showing him on tour that he’s gonna be a backup option for the season.
I think that's the most likely situation there you know. They'll drill it into him that he's a backup or squad rotation player now and if he wants full on playing time, he negotiates his money and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.