Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or even Ronaldo. Nothing gets leaked
Havertz, Lukaku, de Ligt all took a few days before it was confirmed over here after being reported abroad first. Raphinha not even Phil Hay the Leeds tier 1 guy knew we'd bid, let alone our club mouthpieces like Law. Ronaldo mainly from Portugese sources wasnt it

Matt Law has stated for a while Sterling and Ake double deal was being discussed, [even when Kounde was still being talked about, de ligt, Kimpembe, Koulibaly etc] and he had heard it via City sources too, and lo and behold, Sterling looks done and Ake advanced.

Very little gets leaked now.

re. FdJ. If anyone thinks Boehly and Clearlake co owner Eghbali flew out just to have dinner and say hello, or discuss a 3-5m euro Azpi transfer, you're naive. Not to say FdJ was discussed, however

If Barca can't or won't stick to the terms of his contract could it not be ripped up and we sign him on a free? Guessing it would take too long

My only concern is that we don’t have enough time to peruse other midfielders if this falls through. Feels like we’re putting all of our eggs in this basket.

So so so boring. The problem is all the fun and momentum is gone out of these deals way before the time we get them done, if we get them done at all. I understand Barca is currently a massive shit show but imagine how slow or frankly impossible it would be if they didn’t need money at all? We are probably boosting the offer by a million every two weeks or something when the player is there for the taking. Why get involved with players when it’s obviously going to be so messy and then act surprised? United definitely love the drama and the clicks. 100%.

If we can get de Jong, Martinez and Antony then I’d be buzzing with that! Think de Jong and Martinez are crucial as they’ll transform the way we play and will help with the new style of play ten Hag will want to implement.

My only concern is that we don’t have enough time to peruse other midfielders if this falls through. Feels like we’re putting all of our eggs in this basket.
We could always play Martinez as DM with Eriksen at 8. Obviously its not as incisive but it'd work.

Presumably he's back from hols next week? Should be easier to sort out once agents/players are back in the same place.

If Barca can't or won't stick to the terms of his contract could it not be ripped up and we sign him on a free? Guessing it would take too long

Barca can and will stick to it of course if necessary, because it would not only mean a free de Jong, but also punishment from Uefa. What's happening now are negotiations if it's maybe not necessary.

Martinez wasn't good enough to play as DM in the dutch league, it's not going to work in the PL.
Plus he's a CB. WTF is everyone's obsession with playing people out of position? Why buy someone to play them out of position when you can just buy someone to play in the position you need?

I wonder if the pessimism on Uniteds side is a fightback to Barca saying Chelsea are interested. If United back out and Chelsea aren't interested, then they're screwed.

Seems like both clubs are playing hardball, with Barca being the more screwed if we do walk away

I don't see what the issue is regarding his pending payment from Barcelona. A lot of employees get trailing payments from their ex employers. It can be done later and doeset bar you from future employemnt opportunities.

Seems both parties are just holding out in an attempt to bore the entire world to death.
They are trying to rip him off for the money owed by the club by selling him. Frenkie and his agent probably want to make sure they get paid before he leaves so they actually see a penny of it.
My guess would be Barca simply don’t have the money or would rather spend it on Lewa, Kessie and Chelsea’s aging backline.

De Jong doesn't want to leave Barca but they need to sell him to help them out financially. Barca agree the base fee with us

De Jong accepts that but asks for what he is owed if they have to sell him, Barca are dithering over it. Perhaps want us to cover that? But no way they can afford to hold onto him now, it just doesn't make sense. I doubt anyone would agree to a new lower pay considering what he is already owed and surely Barca won't get the same amount next summer.

How do Chelsea come into this? Are they ready to pay Barca more for him including the payoff or Frenkie more ready to play for them that he is willing to let go of his deferred dues? Its all so confusing

I don't see what the issue is regarding his pending payment from Barcelona.

He’s kinda been conned is the issue, rather than it being deferred wages, they had him sign a new contract that gave him dog shit pay (from a top footballing standpoint) for the past two seasons and then great pay for the next few years. I’d imagine now that Barca want rid, he has no right to that money if he leaves just as no other footballer has a right when he moves club.
Frenkie and his agent will now need to do a deal with Barça, that’s the only solution out of this. It’s probably also why they are bluffing him that they “want him to stay”.
They want him gone, and with a tiny pay off at best.

FDJ clearly signed that deal to help the club, thinking he’d spend most of his career at Barça and likely gave not a thought to what would happen if Barça decided to feck him off after his two “cheap” contract seasons.

Last edited:
So Barcelona owe De Jong 17m euros in wages, but they want United to pay it on top of the 65m. United do not want to do this.

Looks like De Jong is resigned to leaving, but wants his wages sorted out.

Barcelona are totally screwed BTW

Status
Not open for further replies.