Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the deferred wages issue is nothing to do with us? If Barca and de Jong agree to terminate the contract that's between them. Otherwise they will have to keep him.

Could we not just ask them to knock that money he's owed off the transfer fee, how on earth does this get sorted otherwise
If Barca agree to pay FDJ, I'm sure an agreement could be reached..
If paying him off doesnt count towards their wages, they can do it themselves.. If it does, I'm sure we can set a lower transfer fee and pay FDJ from our side.

Because it's only coming from sources close to Barca. Absolutely no one else has said Chelsea are interested, except for a little one liner last week that said they're monitoring incase it breaks down between United and Barca.
None of the English journos are reporting any interest in FdJ for Chelsea, including their T1/T2 journos.

All reports regarding Chelsea's interest seem to be coming out of Spain so far, and it seems like it's Barca pushing the story to force our hand.
Nobody has reported it other than the loose discussion topic spanish reporters brought up which feels more like them trying to hurry United. They don't actually need a player like him given they have Kovacic and jorginho. Frenkie would likely prefer United due to Ten Hag anyway (according to reports as well).

Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Couldn't we just sign another midfielder who could both cover and complement de Jong, feigning that we're tired of Barca messing us around?

Seems like a relatively easy way to put pressure on Barca along with insuring we have a more workable midfield next season even if the de Jong transfer collapses.

We have just lost two midfielders after all, and it's not like we'd have to break the bank to improve upon what's available in the squad.

Doesn't have to be so black or white, de Jong or bust, and would give us more options.

None of the English journos are reporting any interest in FdJ for Chelsea, including their T1/T2 journos.

All reports regarding Chelsea's interest seem to be coming out of Spain so far, and it seems like it's Barca pushing the story to force our hand.
When did the use of "tiers" in regards to reporters start? And how are they ranked?

Once the wages owed situation is resolved, Chelsea will get the transfer done within about 5 mins.

Di Marzio saying Barca are looking at options to keep him, personally, I think staying should be at the bottom of the agenda for FDJ. I don’t think he starts in the new Barca Midfield where they are attempting to replicate Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets trio.

At the moment they have Pedri, Gavi, Busquets with Kessi coming in to back up the defensive aspect and Puig on the bench for depth, they are stacked and FDJ has for the majority been playing out of position.

Once the wages owed situation is resolved, Chelsea will get the transfer done within about 5 mins.

We have been mucking about with de Ligt for a month. Had the chance to sign him, but kept going for the reduced amount and invited Bayern in to run up the price. We have not been quick about any targets so far.

I will believe the de Jong interest when English journos start the parade of tweets.

Don't worry, Barca will tell their mouthpieces soon that Chelsea have bidded, but it falls below their expectations and it's been rejected.
The English sources will ignore it and the Caf will go into meltdown because they'll likely believe it and believe it's only a matter of time until another bid goes in.

It's telling that for 2 days now, the Barca mouthpieces have said Chelsea are very interested and will make a bid, yet every source in England and those who are respectable have said nothing, and not even mentioned Chelsea in their de Jong updates. Hell, today even Romero and Revelo(???) haven't even said anything on the impending Chelsea bid

So it is... but they're quoting Sport, no other sources aside from them, Revelo and Romero (all Barca mouthpieces) have said anything. Thats quite telling. If it was real, a Chelsea journo would have jumped on it

I just checked -- Sophie Rose hasn't even mentioned it either. Has to be fake too.

Last edited:
Couldn't we just sign another midfielder who could both cover and complement de Jong, feigning that we're tired of Barca messing us around?

Seems like a relatively easy way to put pressure on Barca along with insuring we have a more workable midfield next season even if the de Jong transfer collapses.

We have just lost two midfielders after all, and it's not like we'd have to break the bank to improve upon what's available in the squad.

Doesn't have to be so black or white, de Jong or bust, and would give us more options.
It would make too much sense for the morons in charge of our transfer dealings

I think pride is also getting in the way for Barca. They really are that stupid. They don’t want to appear weak when they are in actual shambles.

This must mean Frenkie is definitely off to a new club, if Barca cant even paid owed wages.

Wouldn’t say it’s pointless if they are confirming they want him gone and he’s refused to accept a reduced pay contract?

Quite important really

Them wanting him gone isnt the issue though is it. The issue is them finding the money they need to pay him.

De Jong might have a case for saying that Barca have breached their contract by acting in such bad faith. In which case he could sign on a free and recover the money that way. UEFA would then have to step in.

How many ways can you say the same thing ? This is getting a bit boring TBH
Well, I mean, they have to keep us strung along somehow don't they... just reword it a little and class it as new info.

Still... no one mentioning Chelseas interest which would be a huge factor for us if true

If Barca agree to pay FDJ, I'm sure an agreement could be reached..
If paying him off doesnt count towards their wages, they can do it themselves.. If it does, I'm sure we can set a lower transfer fee and pay FDJ from our side.
In some ways the United team was smart. They firmed up the price -- guaranteed and add-ons limit. So this way Barca can't now ask United to subsidise the wage deferment owed to Frenkie without any further compromise elsewhere in their agreement.

It will force the issue -- with Barca having to pay up Frenkie based on some calculation since he will not reach the duration of his contract or they have to come to some compromise between Frenkie and Barca.

And if United decides to throw in a few million (to speed things up and help Barca in their cash flow and wage management) they can build that into the add-ons agreement with Barca too.

The reason there isnt much from our club journos as of now, is because there are minimal leaks from our end these days. Not one of our better sources had a clue the flight to Barca was happening, Matt Law reported we were considering entering the Raphinha chase, but none of them had a scooby that we'd actually agreed a fee.

Ziyech deal was the same after January window shut under Lampard's tenure, was reported in Holland before anyone over here had a clue. A lot of the better Chelsea journos actually get their info from the other end... Sterling deal for one

And the fellow Chelsea fans on here will probably confirm that, feck all gets leaked these days

The reason there isnt much from our club journos as of now, is because there are minimal leaks from our end these days. Not one of our better sources had a clue the flight to Barca was happening, Matt Law reported we were considering entering the Raphinha chase, but none of them had a scooby that we'd actually agreed a fee.

Ziyech deal was the same after January window shut under Lampard's tenure, was reported in Holland before anyone over here had a clue. A lot of the better Chelsea journos actually get their info from the other end... Sterling deal for one

And the fellow Chelsea fans on here will probably confirm that, feck all gets leaked these days
So why have none of the United sources even acknowledged Chelsea’s supposed interest?

With all the stuff coming from Barca I'm sure a Chelsea journo would know. You think they don't save sources within the club that would confirm or deny anything?

The reason they're quiet is because it's crap in my opinion. Of course I might be totally wrong but from past experiences this is usually a negotiation tactic

So why have none of the United sources even acknowledged Chelsea’s supposed interest?
Very true, you'd think his agent would have told United that Chelsea were getting involved. If that was the case we'd either get a move on and get it done or just pull out and walk away

Yep, feck all gets leaked. No one knew Chelsea were after Havertz or Lukaku?

I guess no one knows that Chelsea are after De Ligt either.

Time for ten Hag to look at a list of targets that isn’t Dutch and/or includes players that used to play for him. This is incredibly tedious now and an absolute shocker that we haven’t addressed our piss poor midfield.

Yep, feck all gets leaked. No one knew Chelsea were after Havertz or Lukaku?

I guess no one knows that Chelsea are after De Ligt either.
Or Raphinha

I don't see what the issue is regarding his pending payment from Barcelona. A lot of employees get trailing payments from their ex employers. It can be done later and doeset bar you from future employemnt opportunities.

Seems both parties are just holding out in an attempt to bore the entire world to death.

We have been mucking about with de Ligt for a month. Had the chance to sign him, but kept going for the reduced amount and invited Bayern in to run up the price. We have not been quick about any targets so far.

I will believe the de Jong interest when English journos start the parade of tweets.
Surely the deferred wages issue is nothing to do with us? If Barca and de Jong agree to terminate the contract that's between them. Otherwise they will have to keep him.

This is because Todd Boehly may be the new Ed Woodward and Glaziers rolled into one you had one of the smartest operators in Europe previously who has been let go

The more that comes out, the more this situation is really unappealing. 90 minutes is reporting that Barca owes de Jong’s agent money for the restructuring that was done.

Barca’s affairs are all over the place and we seem to be married to them this window.

Status
Not open for further replies.