Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big few hours today!!

Suuuuuure they have!!
Barca just won't give up will they. Getting kinda farcical now. Gotta give it to them though, they're sticking to their plan.
Again, a Catalonian paper, pretty much a Barca mouthpiece, saying all this crap. Nothing from the UK media. :boring::boring:

and yet no English sources are giving these Chelsea links a seconds thought. Funny that.

To be fair, if Chelsea were stupid enough to pay the deferred wages that's on them, and a wonderful sign they've got themselves their very own Woody.

and yet no English sources are giving these Chelsea links a seconds thought. Funny that.

To be fair, if Chelsea were stupid enough to pay the deferred wages that's on them, and a wonderful sign they've got themselves their very own Woody.
They won't, because it's clear BS.
If it was real, a Chelsea journo or the BBC would have mentioned it, even in the gossip sections, but alas, absolutely nothing

I don’t understand why so many want to give up and sign a lesser player when this deal is basically agreed. It’s only Barca issues holding this up, and so many gullible fools are falling for Laportas BS.

If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs, then you’ll be a muppet my son!
How is it, that people are falling for Laportas BS? It has nothing to do with what Barca does. We want the player and we should bring him in as soon as possible. If Barca blocks the path to one of those objectives, feck them. Remember how Dortmund acted with Sancho in the first summer? They set an ultimatum and they were consequential. We should do the same when we want to be seen as professionals again.

Tielemans and one of mcFred in midfield would be an absolute disaster, and we would get walked over regularly in there. Tielemans is more like a Fred who can pass. If you are buying Tielemans you will need a defensive player.

Ruben Neves will cost around the same as de Jong, and I doubt that deal will happen quickly either. Also a midfield of Neves and Fred would just get walked past, Neves is virtually immobile by comparison and would need a pressing resistant player in there. Neves would need an actual defensive style CM or DM to make that work.
I still don't get why you think, that this doesn't apply to FDJ. There was a lot of talk when he moved to Spain that he is supposed to take over from Busquets but he couldn't do it. Doesn't make FDJ a bad player at all, but why exactly would we be the first team in European topflights who make it happen without a defensive minded midfield player backing up players who are great at progressing? Our midfield was shit last year (at least). And on top of being shit we lost players. Yet seemingly FDJ is the only option for many of us... I don't get it.

Nope, your ‘rightful complaint’ is just being questioned. I think some things actually sound like they make perfect sense on paper/online - to the degree that people disregard whether the reality supports it or not. We’ve been watching football for long enough to see that many, many players - of varying success sign at all stages of the window. We’ve also, surely, by now seen too many pre-seasons where important players are missing due to international commitments, or simply injury.

Pre-season has use, but it’s use is exaggerated. It’s primarily a fitness exercise and a commercial tour. For all the talk about shaping the team, we’ll probably line up with Tahith Chong or something next week. It happens every year.

Players needing to be in place from the very start of pre-season sounds logical and makes perfect sense, and I’d 100% agree if not for the fact that the reality does not reflect that. Not meaning to sound hostile, but at the same time, it’s about calming what has been posted over and over as either a cause to raise alarm, or a cause to revel in our supposed ‘incompetence’. It really doesn’t matter that much.
If we would have a working team only needing a few improvements here and there, I'd agree with you. But our squad is without any sort of backbone, lost most of its confidence, is low in numbers in 2 of 3 team areas, showed for at least two seasons in a row, that there isn't a working coherent method to attack nor to defend. The teams best player (in terms of international renomme and in terms of other players looking up for) wants to leave because he thinks we're a bit of a mess. This team is supposed to turn into a more possession based style with a new manager... To me that sounds like one heck of a challenge.

I am pretty sure, if ETH could he would increase the time he has to work with the players before the season starts. But he can't there is only limited time. What the club could do to make his challenge a bit easier would be to provide him a squad he will be able to make use of for as long as possible before the season starts.

To me it looks like the club was (again) pretty unprepared before the transfer window. Seeing the number of "targets" from Ajax doesn't speak for the scouting team which is supposed to have lists of viable options. Plus Ajax already lost its coach plus 3 players from their starting eleven. Every additional loss will be more expensive or unlikely. If all this doesn't lead you to criticize the club, good for you. I am certainly not calling for heads at this point but the warning signs are there.

Its different when you've got an established team buying a player from the same league.

We have a new manager, a team which will have at least new 4-5 starters with a totally different style of play and none of the new signings have played in the league before.
I fully agree with you. Almost puzzled by all the others seemingly underestimating the task that is in front of ETH. As soon as the season starts, player will have to rest during the week and prepare for certain opponents, there isn't as much room for tactical development as in pre-season.

Last edited:
Aye. I know, it's pure tedious fiction.
When even the Sun and the sorts don't report on it, you know it's pure BS. They'd usually jump on anything like that.
I do wonder whether it'll work on United though, will they get spooked and cave into the demands, knowing how much ETH wants him

Is it a coincidence how the reports have come out at roughly the same time as they did yesterday too. I can't remember exactly when they were reported yesterday, but i'm sure it was around 11 - 12 ish

Bhoely flying over of offcial company business again to make an official bid which he could do over dinner yesterday

Bhoely flying over of offcial company business again to make an official bid which he could do over dinner yesterday
You wouldn't fly over to make a bid... wouldn't it be done via e-mail or fax or whatever.
Also why the hell would he fly back to London yesterday just to go back again today. These people are chatting through their arses big time, and the sad thing is, people on Twitter believe every word

They won't, because it's clear BS.
If it was real, a Chelsea journo or the BBC would have mentioned it, even in the gossip sections, but alas, absolutely nothing

Probably. De Jong is pretty good, though - it would hardly be a surprise if a few other clubs were sniffing around. They will all have the same problem as us re the deferred wages, though.

You wouldn't fly over to make a bid... wouldn't it be done via e-mail or fax or whatever.
Also why the hell would he fly back to London yesterday just to go back again today. These people are chatting through their arses big time, and the sad thing is, people on Twitter believe every word

:lol: I was just having a laugh. The fact him come over yesterday was a joke within itself anyway.

They need a new DoF fast but I understand it’s short notice for Chelsea this summer.

Probably. De Jong is pretty good, though - it would hardly be a surprise if a few other clubs were sniffing around. They will all have the same problem as us re the deferred wages, though.
Quite possibly... but the problem is, theres been no reports of anyone else being interested, except from those journos close to Barca. It's almost as if they're trying to drum up a bit of competition for United, or get United to cough up extra cash

:lol: I was just having a laugh. The fact him come over yesterday was a joke within itself anyway.

They need a new DoF fast but I understand it’s short notice for Chelsea this summer.
Haha fair do's
Yep, it seemed a bit odd, especially using the excuse of "forging friendships" etc. I know Barca want a couple of Chelsea players, but this is the perfect way for Barca to get United to cough up more for de Jong too... say Chelsea is interested. Wouldn't want to lose out on ETH's top target to a domestic rival

It is all a bit tedious now and looking like we won't hear anything for a few weeks at least. This really puts our early season in jeopardy and shows us up as having no plan B. If Barca thought we would move on to other targets they would be so desperate they would have folded by now.

Quite possibly... but the problem is, theres been no reports of anyone else being interested, except from those journos close to Barca. It's almost as if they're trying to drum up a bit of competition for United, or get United to cough up extra cash

Oh, I'm sure they are. Standard practice for Barca/Madrid and their mouthpiece publications. He's a player that a lot of clubs would like, though, so I wouldn't be too shocked if Chelsea, Bayern, City, Juve etc were keeping an eye on proceedings. If De Jong is as good as we all think, you'd expect nothing less.

He already knows Ten Hag ball, so even if he joins later, he won't have any issues to integrate into our gameplay.

It is all a bit tedious now and looking like we won't hear anything for a few weeks at least. This really puts our early season in jeopardy and shows us up as having no plan B. If Barca thought we would move on to other targets they would be so desperate they would have folded by now.

Certainly looks like it will drag on now. There seems to be two staring contests being played out simultaneously - one between United and Barca and another between Barca and De Jong. I have no idea who is going to blink first, but it is surely going to be August before we really know if this one is happening or not.

I am only stating what was said about two weeks ago in the media.
I am definitely not of the belief that cheaper means worse....we only have to look at other clubs business compared to ours to see that!

Certainly looks like it will drag on now. There seems to be two staring contests being played out simultaneously - one between United and Barca and another between Barca and De Jong. I have no idea who is going to blink first, but it is surely going to be August before we really know if this one is happening or not.

Did think that tweet from a Barca tier 1 source last night might see some movement but nope still at impasse

De Jong's agent need to go all Raiola by throwing chairs and turning over tables in Barca boardroom

De Jong's agent need to go all Raiola by throwing chairs and turning over tables in Barca boardroom
Nah he looks too nice for that... he'll just go in, politely ask for the money to be paid, be told no chance and then he'd leave.
He needs to go in there and put the fear of fecking god into them

Nah he looks too nice for that... he'll just go in, politely ask for the money to be paid, be told no chance and then he'd leave.
He needs to go in there and put the fear of fecking god into them

Yeah he really does because need some action

Yeah he really does because need some action
Don't worry, Barca will tell their mouthpieces soon that Chelsea have bidded, but it falls below their expectations and it's been rejected.
The English sources will ignore it and the Caf will go into meltdown because they'll likely believe it and believe it's only a matter of time until another bid goes in.

It's telling that for 2 days now, the Barca mouthpieces have said Chelsea are very interested and will make a bid, yet every source in England and those who are respectable have said nothing, and not even mentioned Chelsea in their de Jong updates. Hell, today even Romero and Revelo(???) haven't even said anything on the impending Chelsea bid

Is literally the main splash on BBC Footballs gossip column. Has been all morning
So it is... but they're quoting Sport, no other sources aside from them, Revelo and Romero (all Barca mouthpieces) have said anything. Thats quite telling. If it was real, a Chelsea journo would have jumped on it

I've not been keeping up with this saga, but what is the reason for thinking Chelsea getting involved is bogus?
Because it's only coming from sources close to Barca. Absolutely no one else has said Chelsea are interested, except for a little one liner last week that said they're monitoring incase it breaks down between United and Barca.

I've not been keeping up with this saga, but what is the reason for thinking Chelsea getting involved is bogus?
None of the English journos are reporting any interest in FdJ for Chelsea, including their T1/T2 journos.

All reports regarding Chelsea's interest seem to be coming out of Spain so far, and it seems like it's Barca pushing the story to force our hand.

Nobody has reported it other than the loose discussion topic spanish reporters brought up which feels more like them trying to hurry United. They don't actually need a player like him given they have Kovacic and jorginho. Frenkie would likely prefer United due to Ten Hag anyway (according to reports as well).

Lets just put it this way... United have been interested in de Jong for months now. They've worked hard to get where they are today, with an outline deal agreed etc.

If Chelsea were to come in and try to hijack the deal, do you not think that it would be a huge news story that journos would be scrambling to break? We'd have it as some kind of breaking news or exclusive, especially from the Chelsea T1/2 journos. Yet we've got nothing, just silence, aside from the Azpi/Alonso deals that Barca want to do, but that's always been described as seperate from any deal for any of their players.

Plus theres the obvious - they don't need him. At all.

This transfer saga is a Lovecraftian nightmare in by if you stare at it too long, you will become insane.

Don’t forget with Barcelona hierarchy… we’re dealing with people where politics come first and business comes second.

Barca are basically expecting the buying club to pay the wages they owe FDJ.. or for him to forget that money..
He isnt going to let it go.. so either the buying clubs agrees to pay (won't happen) or Barca have to pay him off .. they cant keep him.. they'll be giving up on the transfer fee and will have to pay him wages that break their wage structure

if FDJ completely rules out taking a wage cut (which might have happened because of the report of relations with his agent breaking down), Barca really dont have much of a choice.. Their last hope will be getting a bidding war going to raise a few more million..

Barca are basically expecting the buying club to pay the wages they owe FDJ.. or for him to forget that money..
He isnt going to let it go.. so either the buying clubs agrees to pay (won't happen) or Barca have to pay him off .. they cant keep him.. they'll be giving up on the transfer fee and will have to pay him wages that break their wage structure

if FDJ completely rules out taking a wage cut (which might have happened because of the report of relations with his agent breaking down), Barca really dont have much of a choice.. Their last hope will be getting a bidding war going to raise a few more million..

Could we not just ask them to knock that money he's owed off the transfer fee, how on earth does this get sorted otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.