Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

He almost certainly will take a huge paycut to move anywhere else. Nobody on this planet is paying him what Barcelona agreed to pay him when they signed him.

Perhaps, but we’re probably looking at say 300k/week for 4/5 seasons plus say 50m in transfer fee.

Is Frenkie really that great?

I may be behind on the facts, but is it even remotely possible that Barcelona will write a huge check to Frenkie to settle their contractual obligations to him then let him walk away from the club?
They won’t pay him his full contractually owed amount early. It would be a smaller amount but paid early/earlier in installements. There’s practically infinite flexibility in terms of the payment structure of any contractual pay off.

I may be behind on the facts, but is it even remotely possible that Barcelona will write a huge check to Frenkie to settle their contractual obligations to him then let him walk away from the club?
Not likley to happen, the only way I see him leaving is if they give hime a "free tansfer" where the signing club pays the oustanding amount (and probably a bit more) as a signing bonus, that way Barcelona don't lay out any cash, they take a hit losing the transfer fee but it enables them to offload him and bring in the new player(s) - in that long run thhat saves them money

If he was to leave on free he will get what a team is willing to pay him. I doubt any of the teams in the top leagues will pay him the £250k a week that a United might offer.

Ok, this is what I don’t get about teams like Barca. They have worldwide pull. Surely they don’t have to pay 600k/wk to players. Is that gross, and they have to do it because the taxes in Spain are so high? I have no idea, genuinely curious.
Possibly the most ludicrously paid player there has never been. An obscene example of Barca's mismanagement and a pay package United should never consider entertaining.

I don't see why they'd do that. He still gets games, 30 appearances last season. Even if they expected him to play zero games next season surely he's worth keeping around in case of injuries if you have to pay his wages anyway?

Given that money is the issue, I’m not sure what they’d gain by doing this.
Theres a few advantages. Negotiating to cover the gap in wage for his first 2 years, means they have to pay a lot less than they would otherwise - so if he got 250k from City then they'd only need to pay 400k next year instead of 650k. Two, they get a transfer fee to cover that 400k a week debt. Whereas if they keep him they need to find the money from somewhere else. Like selling us Yamal :devil:

"I may be behind on the facts, but is it even remotely possible that Barcelona will write a huge check to Frenkie to settle their contractual obligations to him then let him walk away from the club?"
Definitely wont happen. The transfer fee lets them pay their debt.

Maybe i’m wrong but aren’t his wages so high because he’s simply owed a shit load of money? I’m not saying he wouldn’t be on £250k+ a week anyway but always thought he was getting paid more because he was owed so much.

Heard they don't even invite him to work drinks but he still finds out where they are.

You know what’s wild is how did they even agree to paying him 600k a week. I mean he looked like a very promising player but how has he managed to get that wage.

Have they even paid him the money he is due yet?

Ok, this is what I don’t get about teams like Barca. They have worldwide pull. Surely they don’t have to pay 600k/wk to players. Is that gross, and they have to do it because the taxes in Spain are so high? I have no idea, genuinely curious.

And what of Frenkie's wage contract? Surely we're not going to agree to something on the order of 500k/week for him and there's no chance he's coming down to 250k/week.
Just so we can put to bed the queries over his wages, this is the situation:

FDJ has a base wage of 14m euros per season which is about 275k per week (all numbers in Euros. He initially had a four year contract through to 2024 paying him that amount, plus a loyalty bonus and performance related add ons (not included in base figure).

Due to the pandemic, he signed a two year contract extension with reduced his base wage for 20-21 to 3m (from 14), and to 9m in 21-22. The 16m in deferred wages were then to be spread over the remaining four years of his contract, meaning from 22-23 his wages were to go up to 18m per year, which is a base of 350k.

Moving into the final two years of his contract, which starts this season and goes through to summer of 2026, Barca not only have to pay him this new base of 18m, but they also have to pay him 15.8m in loyalty bonuses. If evenly spread, this means that his base wage now goes up to 25.8m per year or 500k per week. On top of that they agreed to pay him an additional 1m in the final year of his contract (as interest/incentive on the deferral) taking his base wage next year up to 515k per week.

All of these numbers are base wages. He has a number of performance related add-ons for appearances etc, which took last years 350k up to over 400k per week. If repeated this year and next, it would take him into the 550-575k per week range, and if Barca were to win a major trophy, over 600k per week.

In agreeing to move clubs, one could feasibly agree a base wage of around 250-275k euros per week with him, which is 215-225k pounds, but one would still have to figure out how he gets the 24.8m owed to him in deferred wages and loyalty bonus.

All this is assuming that Barca stayed on track with the extra 4m last season and the season before and didn’t do any additional deferrals (a new contract would’ve been needed I believe). I don’t have detailed information on the specifics of his performance related add ons, just general numbers as paid out).

If Barca were to sell him for 50m euros, and he agreed a contract elsewhere that met his base plus add ons (approx 250k p/week plus 50k in add ons), and Barca were to give him 26m of the transfer fee, then a deal could get done. It means Barca would net 24m euros on him, depending on his current original transfer fee amortisation. The biggest issue appears to be that Barca don’t want to do that. They want someone else to pick up that 26m cost or Frankie to forgo at least his 16m loyalty bonus by forcing through a move. If he accepts a move he technically forfeits that, but he’s telling them he’ll only accept a move if they pay it out.

Complicated further on this by the fact he is currently injured with no timeline on his return in 2024. The most likely scenario from FDJ’s perspective is that he rides out his contract, collects all that money (he’ll play when fit) and then leaves on a free in 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: moses

FDJ has a base wage of 14m euros per season which is about 275k per week (all numbers in Euros. He initially had a four year contract through to 2024 paying him that amount, plus a loyalty bonus and performance related add ons (not included in base figure).

Due to the pandemic, he signed a two year contract extension with reduced his base wage for 20-21 to 3m (from 14), and to 9m in 21-22. The 16m in deferred wages were then to be spread over the remaining four years of his contract, meaning from 22-23 his wages were to go up to 18m per year, which is a base of 350k.

Moving into the final two years of his contract, which starts this season and goes through to summer of 2026, Barca not only have to pay him this new base of 18m, but they also have to pay him 15.8m in loyalty bonuses. If evenly spread, this means that his base wage now goes up to 25.8m per year or 500k per week. On top of that they agreed to pay him an additional 1m in the final year of his contract (as interest/incentive on the deferral) taking his base wage next year up to 515k per week.

All of these numbers are base wages. He has a number of performance related add-ons for appearances etc, which took last years 350k up to over 400k per week. If repeated this year and next, it would take him into the 550-575k per week range, and if Barca were to win a major trophy, over 600k per week.

In agreeing to move clubs, one could feasibly agree a base wage of around 250-275k euros per week with him, which is 215-225k pounds, but one would still have to figure out how he gets the 24.8m owed to him in deferred wages and loyalty bonus.

All this is assuming that Barca stayed on track with the extra 4m last season and the season before and didn’t do any additional deferrals (a new contract would’ve been needed I believe). I don’t have detailed information on the specifics of his performance related add ons, just general numbers as paid out).

If Barca were to sell him for 50m euros, and he agreed a contract elsewhere that met his base plus add ons (approx 250k p/week plus 50k in add ons), and Barca were to give him 26m of the transfer fee, then a deal could get done. It means Barca would net 24m euros on him, depending on his current original transfer fee amortisation. The biggest issue appears to be that Barca don’t want to do that. They want someone else to pick up that 26m cost or Frankie to forgo at least his 16m loyalty bonus by forcing through a move. If he accepts a move he technically forfeits that, but he’s telling them he’ll only accept a move if they pay it out.

Complicated further on this by the fact he is currently injured with no timeline on his return in 2024. The most likely scenario from FDJ’s perspective is that he rides out his contract, collects all that money (he’ll play when fit) and then leaves on a free in 2 seasons.
This is a fantastic post, thank you for the detailed information.

It’s a great try, but you’ll still have clueless folk posting ‘I don’t want him on those huge wages’ as there have been for the last 2 years. It’s remarkable that people still don’t get this situation and understand that he isn’t on 600k a week simply out of the goodness of Barcas heart!! :rolleyes:

It’s a great try, but you’ll still have clueless folk posting ‘I don’t want him on those huge wages’ as there have been for the last 2 years. It’s remarkable that people still don’t get this situation and understand that he isn’t on 600k a week simply out of the goodness of Barcas heart!! :rolleyes:

Tbf £220k is still eyebrow raising as a base salary. It only looks more reasonable because of the absolute state of our wage bill, and the actual people taking the big bucks.

Sounds like exactly the type of scenario that we would previously ignore and say yes yes yes....need to stay well clear.

If you’ve seen The Newsroom with Jeff Daniels, you’ll sympathise when I say that I sometimes feel like I am on a Will McAvoy-esque “mission to civilise” on here. So many threads are full of misinformation, debunked myths, and knee jerk reactions, that it’s nearly a full time job.

Thanks for your reply! I feel like we should be able to add “community notes” to misinformation posts a la Twitter, to stop the endless repeating of the same old myths in thread after thread.

I have no doubt, however, that after two pages this myth will be repeated again.

I may be in minority but I prefer Ugarte over DeJong unless we sign both,

We need some one pasionate to join our club rather than coming here feeling down, Looks like Dejong and his wfe enjoying life in Barcelona.

Better we go after him only if he shows more willingness than us trying to sell the project.

As he got lot of Ajax base here so he might be keen this time, only thing is we need to set his base wages around 250K max justl ike he got at Barca so its his headache getting his 25M back log which is being cleared by Barca in installments now.

Last edited:

That is a beautiful thing. Couldn't have happened to a nicer club.

I'm probably his biggest fan around, but I wouldnt go near this summer for significant fees, due to the uncertainty with his ankle..

Apart from that it looks like he really locked himself into a golden cage by accepting the deferral and extention and barca are just a horribly unethical bunch of cnuts by keep trying to get out of what he rightfully owes..

Great post!

Always a great and insightful post. Barcelona is stuck with him for the time being.

Sticky this.
Reason why the transfer will never happen.

Let him take every single penny from Barca and leave for free in 2 years.

Fantastic explanation and really should be enough to close this discussion, no one in their right mind is going to forgo that kind of money, it's intergenerational wealth creation, enough to make his great-grandchildren wealthy, and all he needs to do to earn it is live in the sun in Barcelona for another 2 years, playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. He's going nowhere, he'll to the "stubborn dutchie" thing sit out his contract, then move on a free.

Barcelona have ruined Frenkie, they rushed him back from injury when he wasn't ready and he has further damaged his ankle. While a different injury to the ankle, consider Eriksen pre ankle injury and post, that tackle basically cost him a top flight finish to his career. Now that Frenkie's ankle is crocked Barca don't know when he'll be back and now they are ready to cash in. I don't think there is much truth to the rumor anyway, but we can't get dragged into this, he may never be the same player again.

You know what’s wild is how did they even agree to paying him 600k a week. I mean he looked like a very promising player but how has he managed to get that wage.

Have they even paid him the money he is due yet?
He agreed to lower his wages in corona time and the club would pay those wages later on, every year he will get some more I thought. So that’s his normal wage + what he didn’t get earlier. His normal wage is not 600k.

Hansi said no way he's leaving but I'm sure Barca management can't wait to sell him on terms that they don't have to pay any of the deferred wages. Typical

Hansi thinks he;s great, but do you need him when you have Gundogan, Gavi, Pedri as well seemingly for two positions? Seems like overkill. He seems to want to use Olmo as a CAM I read somewhere. Might be false.

@simonhch thanks for clarification on the exact situation.
Why would anyone entertain a transfer at this point with those constraints and plus he is injured with no return date set.
Queue Woody…. Or not thank goodness

Great Post. The fact that Barca would net 26 mill euros is a bit off isn't it? They owe him 24 mill. It's like me buying a 1000 car on loan. Paying 750 off then selling it for 1000 and then saying I'm loosing 250 because I owe it to the bank. Can you pay 1250. That money is not theirs. It's Frankies.
The bought him for 75 mill over 6 years ago. So I presume that money is paid off. If they sell for 50 they get 50 profit + will save on his future salary of 15 mill a year or whatever it is.(the money owed to him is neither here nor there and shouldnt be included in the calculations) Thats 50 + 2 years at 15 mill = 30. That will mean 80 mill in the bank. For a club thats bankrupt and dont particularly need him I would think that would make a lot of sense. Or am I talking sht?

Last edited:
Great Post. The fact that Barca would net 26 mill euros is a bit off isn't it? They owe him 24 mill. It's like me buying a 1000 car on loan. Paying 750 off then selling it for 1000 and then saying I'm loosing 250 because I owe it to the bank. Can you pay 1250. That money is not theirs. It's Frankies.
The bought him for 75 mill over 6 years ago. So I presume that money is paid off. If they sell for 50 they get 50 profit + will save on his future salary of 15 mill a year or whatever it is.(the money owed to him is neither here nor there and shouldnt be included in the calculations) Thats 50 + 2 years at 15 mill = 30. That will mean 80 mill in the bank. For a club thats bankrupt and dont particularly need him I would think that would make a lot of sense. Or am I talking sht?
Well they bought him for 75m euros in Jan’ 2019. His original contract was for 5 years through June 2024. So I will assume his original amortisation schedule was 15m a year, and as of this summer his book value would have been zero. That’s assuming it wasn’t amended upon the extension/deferral amendment they signed two years into his deal. If so then he would have had 45m book value left to be amortised out over 4 years at 11.25m a year, meaning his remaining book value would be 22.5m euros as of this summer. This would be a very Barcelona thing to do, and whilst I am not hugely familiar with the mechanics of adjusting an amortisation schedule in football, I do believe it is possible under these circumstances.

With that in mind, let’s say that his book value is still 22.5m. We also have to add in another 11m somewhere in the add ons that were a part of the original transfer fee. I believe I read these had mostly been triggered when Barca won the league, and with his appearances. Lord knows how these factor in, but let’s say there’s up to another 4m in amortised player acquisition costs remaining (without data I’m just guesstimating at this point).

If Barca sold him for 50m euros, and had to pay him his deferred wages (8m), his loyalty bonus (16m), and his deferral incentive (1m), that would be 25m out the door immediately, given them a net on his transfer of 25m.

If his fee has been fully amortised including add-ons, then Barca will bank a net profit on their accounts of 25m for this season, and free up 14m of gross wages per year. This isn’t income, but it is a reduction in their wage bill.

If Barca were able to change the amortisation schedule to go over the additional two years of his deal, as described above, then they will only post a net profit on this years accounts of 2.5m.

If the previous is true and they still have 4m (for example) of add on player acquisition costs still on books, then they’ll post a player trading loss of 1.5m. Etc etc.

In all situations they would save 14m a year in base salary. How much transfer fee they can post as profit (this isn’t cash flow, it is accounting profit for the purposes of spending regulations) is entirely dependent on the amortisation schedule of his original transfer fee. It’s worth nothing that while amortisation of transfer fees are now capped at 5 years (a result of Chelsea’s spending spree and 8-9 year amortisation schedules), at the time of De Jong’s “extension” there was no such cap. Existing amortisation schedules (including Chelsea’s) are grandfathered in.

To reference your original maths, you banked 50m for Barca on a 50m fee. This is possible if (a) his original transfer fee in lauding add ons has already been amortised, and (b) he forgoes (or is paid by a new club) 8m in deferred wages, 16m in loyalty bonus, and 1m in deferral incentive. It’s hard to imagine a player willingly walking away from 25m, or another club willingly playing that to secure a transfer on top of the transfer fee, signing on fee and agent fees. All FDJ has to do to collect all that money is stay at Barca, collect his 25 plus another 28 in base salary, plus another 5m potentially in performance related wages, and then leave on a free.

When fit he plays. If he was in the wilderness there, he might be inclined to strike a deal, but he loves the city, loves playing the club, is first choice when fit, and basically holds all the cards. You are right that Barca will save 28m in base wages by moving him on, and another 25m in deferred wages and loyalty bonus if they pay him off for the transfer fee. If they are broke then it’s the only sensible option. To sell him for 50m or so and pay him off and move on. If he stays they are paying him a minimum of 53m over the next two seasons and then likely losing him for free, unless he extends. But when does sense prevail at Barca? My current understanding is that they’ve been trying to force him out so he forgoes the 16m loyalty bonus, and get another club to pick up the remaining 9m he’s owed. Good luck with that.

TL;DR: I don’t have a fecking clue.

Last edited:
If Barca sold him for 50m euros, and had to pay him his deferred wages (8m), his loyalty bonus (16m), and his deferral incentive (1m), that would be 25m out the door immediately, given them a net on his transfer of 25m.
All this goes into financial issues that we all don't really know (as you say), but just because it's kinda interesting: Barcelona would not necessarily have to pay the full remaining salary amounts. It would be fair if they paid back what De Jong gave up in previous years, but they don't also have to pay his remaining salary. And probably the payback amount could be negotiated a bit also, it's not like Barcelona have been holding De Jong hostage through all of this.

But maybe you took that into account already.

All this goes into financial issues that we all don't really know (as you say), but just because it's kinda interesting: Barcelona would not necessarily have to pay the full remaining salary amounts. It would be fair if they paid back what De Jong gave up in previous years, but they don't also have to pay his remaining salary. And probably the payback amount could be negotiated a bit also, it's not like Barcelona have been holding De Jong hostage through all of this.

But maybe you took that into account already.
I did.

As it stands they will lay him 53m base over the next two seasons (not including performance related pay). If he agrees a deal with another club that pays him the same base, then Barca are saving themselves 28m over two years. The problem is that he is owed 8m in deferred wages, has a 16m loyalty bonus due and payable over these two years and a 1m deferral incentive due in the final year of his contract. Meaning to leave they will have to pay him 25m, assuming the buying club match his base salary and he doesn’t look to Barca to make up any difference.

If he himself pushed for a move, then I believe he would forgo some or part of his 16m loyalty bonus, but he isn’t doing that, Barca are trying to sell him. He’s under no obligation to accept that, and well within his rights to demand they pay out his loyalty bonus in order for him to accept the move. That accounts for 16m of the 25m extra he is owed. I do not know the terms of his loyalty bonus. It be be due regardless now, but even in the event it requires him to stay these two seasons, he can do just that and collect it. Meaning in real terms, Barca need to pay it out either way.

I did.

As it stands they will lay him 53m base over the next two seasons (not including performance related pay). If he agrees a deal with another club that pays him the same base, then Barca are saving themselves 28m over two years. The problem is that he is owed 8m in deferred wages, has a 16m loyalty bonus due and payable over these two years and a 1m deferral incentive due in the final year of his contract. Meaning to leave they will have to pay him 25m, assuming the buying club match his base salary and he doesn’t look to Barca to make up any difference.

If he himself pushed for a move, then I believe he would forgo some or part of his 16m loyalty bonus, but he isn’t doing that, Barca are trying to sell him. He’s under no obligation to accept that, and well within his rights to demand they pay out his loyalty bonus in order for him to accept the move. That accounts for 16m of the 25m extra he is owed. I do not know the terms of his loyalty bonus. It be be due regardless now, but even in the event it requires him to stay these two seasons, he can do just that and collect it. Meaning in real terms, Barca need to pay it out either way.
Ah okay.

I keep thinking he probably doesn't 'need' that money, so why not just take a loss and get out of an environment that obviously doesn't want him anymore. But it's also a LOT of money to juste forego!

If you’ve seen The Newsroom with Jeff Daniels, you’ll sympathise when I say that I sometimes feel like I am on a Will McAvoy-esque “mission to civilise” on here. So many threads are full of misinformation, debunked myths, and knee jerk reactions, that it’s nearly a full time job.

Thanks for your reply! I feel like we should be able to add “community notes” to misinformation posts a la Twitter, to stop the endless repeating of the same old myths in thread after thread.

I have no doubt, however, that after two pages this myth will be repeated again.
Community notes would be such a great feature!

Surely his situation with Barca financially will have zero impact on any future club he joins, whenever he joins. That club will offer whatever he's worth to them and the same with any salary they offer. Any money issues between the player and Barca are theirs to resolve. Even if he moved this window.