Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

Exciting to see this thread bumped. Can't wait to see him at United - his link up play with Sneijder and Gaitan will be beautiful.

I still don't understand why ETH is still obsessed with this guy. Is he the deep playmaker like Rodri? The final piece of puzzle for ETH's football?

Can someone watch him regular please help?

I still don't understand why ETH is still obsessed with this guy. Is he the deep playmaker like Rodri? The final piece of puzzle for ETH's football?

Can someone watch him regular please help?

I'm not sure there is a more press resistant midfielder in the Premier League. I think that's why. I do remember ETH saying two years ago that if he couldn't get this profile (which we didn't, signing Eriksen and Casemiro to long-term deals) he'd have to develop one. At the time (pre-season '22) I thought he was maybe referring to Iqbal. Now I'm thinking he saw those makings in Mainoo, though he was obviously some way off.

Having two of them, and FDJ can also play at centre back, is no problem in my view. I wouldn't choose a Mainoo-FDJ pairing behind Bruno, but if Bruno is playing false nine, or they are sharing the minutes, next to a destroyer like Ugarte, I think we'd be in a very healthy state.

The likelihood is though that we are not in for him, that Barca want to get him on a lower deal or sell him off, so the rumours start. But I'd hate to see him join City or Arsenal.

He's about the best midfielder we could possible acquire. Pass completion 99th percentile, progressive passes 96th percentile, progressive carries 97th percentile, attempted passes 97th percentile. I mean those stats are absolutely elite.

I'm not sure there is a more press resistant midfielder in the Premier League. I think that's why. I do remember ETH saying two years ago that if he couldn't get this profile (which we didn't, signing Eriksen and Casemiro to long-term deals) he'd have to develop one. At the time (pre-season '22) I thought he was maybe referring to Iqbal. Now I'm thinking he saw those makings in Mainoo, though he was obviously some way off.

Having two of them, and FDJ can also play at centre back, is no problem in my view. I wouldn't choose a Mainoo-FDJ pairing behind Bruno, but if Bruno is playing false nine, or they are sharing the minutes, next to a destroyer like Ugarte, I think we'd be in a very healthy state.

The likelihood is though that we are not in for him, that Barca want to get him on a lower deal or sell him off, so the rumours start. But I'd hate to see him join City or Arsenal.

He's about the best midfielder we could possible acquire. Pass completion 99th percentile, progressive passes 96th percentile, progressive carries 97th percentile, attempted passes 97th percentile. I mean those stats are absolutely elite.
If he can have Rodri like effects of controlling and progressing the game from deep then it makes sense. Especially if he is the upgrade version of Mainoo who is already a very good CM. It would be great to get him but not at this fees and wages. It will destroy our newly established structure.

Posts on him being offered to us came up on Twitter and I thought I was having a fecking nightmare. The club should just say we are no longer in him. Even if he's the right profile, the wage issue with Barca will be a massive PITA so no, just no. Hard pass.

FDJ will never play for United. We had a good go at it once but it just wasn't to be, these links are easy headlines for the shite journalists to bait people in.

A 4312 set up with bruno as a false nine could work.

Otherwise can't see a bruno de jong mainoo midfield being balanced at all.

We'll keep chasing him until he's 32 at which point he'll be willing to come but won't have the legs to do anything useful on the pitch anymore.

A 4312 set up with bruno as a false nine could work.

Otherwise can't see a bruno de jong mainoo midfield being balanced at all.
Outside of playing cannon fodder parked on the edge of their box it wont work but we have too many games for 3 midfielders. Way too many. Substitutes are nice too. This transfer is 2 years off at best but we do need a player like him

He will play his testimonial for Barca against United and swap at half time.

We really need to know that this ain’t happening, and sounds like a lazy journo story because of the obvious connection to Ten Hag and the now, the ex-Ajax contingent of players at United.

Not needed anymore.
I’d argue otherwise, we do need a player of his mound because relying on a teenager who at any moment can suffer from injury, fatigue or loss of form is very irresponsible, both for us and for the player.

That being said, even leaving aside the wage issue, FdJ suffered a very serious ankle injury that sidelined him since April, and that sort of injury can become recurring and/or impacting his mobility long term when fit. Without seeing the level he returns at for at least 6 months, I’d be very uncomfortable committing €100m+ in fees and wages for him, despite his quality.

I’d argue otherwise, we do need a player of his mound because relying on a teenager who at any moment can suffer from injury, fatigue or loss of form is very irresponsible, both for us and for the player.

That being said, even leaving aside the wage issue, FdJ suffered a very serious ankle injury that sidelined him since April, and that sort of injury can become recurring and/or impacting his mobility long term when fit. Without seeing the level he returns at for at least 6 months, I’d be very uncomfortable committing €100m+ in fees and wages for him, despite his quality.
And not wanted either. We should stay super clear from that guy. Crazy wages and we should not do Barca any favor, especially since they need money for Williams
I mean, I do want us to sign a playmaker or more midfielders who excel at passing. But not this chap - who has seemingly shown no interest in this move and doesn’t appear to have fulfilled his potential. He also comes across as a tactical issue from what I hear in that he’s not great defensively but likes to play deep.

I'd absolutely love if he would come. He would complete the puzzle.

Good player but over rated on here and now injury prone as well , would stay clear as it would not be worth the amount of hassle it would take to sign him , and most importantly he doe not want to come here unless we can break the bank on his salary.

I reckon there’s a decent chance this will happen next summer when his Barca contract starts winding down if ETH is still in charge.

Good player but over rated on here and now injury prone as well , would stay clear as it would not be worth the amount of hassle it would take to sign him , and most importantly he doe not want to come here unless we can break the bank on his salary.
He's not injury prone, he only had issues last year. The past seasons he played almost all the time.

The list for this player has to stop. He has no interest in joining United until he becomes the next Varane or Casemiro looking for that last big contract after his peak is behind him,

If by then we’ve won multiple PL trophies, fine, but not in the situation we’re in right now. And he can’t bear the thought of leaving Barcelona so why is this even a conversation?

The list for this player has to stop. He has no interest in joining United until he becomes the next Varane or Casemiro looking for that last big contract after his peak is behind him,

If by then we’ve won multiple PL trophies, fine, but not in the situation we’re in right now. And he can’t bear the thought of leaving Barcelona so why is this even a conversation?
Looking for the next big contract? You do know he is earning €600k per week at Barca right?

He's not injury prone, he only had issues last year. The past seasons he played almost all the time.
This is a new phenomenon I've seen on the Caf in the last year or so. If any player gets even one major injury, they are instantly labelled injury prone.

I wonder if these guys would have labelled the likes of Rooney or Ferdinand as injury prone back in the day? Not every player can be a Bruno and play every game.

Looking for the next big contract? You do know he is earning €600k per week at Barca right?

That’s exactly my point. When his big contract ends then he will call his agent and seek his next big contract with United. I would not welcome us entertaining any further pursuit of Frenkie, whose personal and professional priorities have never included coming to Old Trafford.

This is a new phenomenon I've seen on the Caf in the last year or so. If any player gets even one major injury, they are instantly labelled injury prone.

I wonder if these guys would have labelled the likes of Rooney or Ferdinand as injury prone back in the day? Not every player can be a Bruno and play every game.
Ferdinand absolutely was injury prone in his last ~5 seasons with us

Ferdinand absolutely was injury prone in his last ~5 seasons with us
There's level to it. He got injured sometimes but it wasn't at all common and they weren't particularly long. He was unavailable more often towards the end of his career just like every other player thats ever played.
Bruno is a freak and were overdue to start resting him more. Most players will miss a couple of games here and there and thats fine. Only being available for a couple of games like Mount, Shaw, Malacia and Martinez is a problem. Missing half the season like Casemiro and Mainoo is a problem.
Having said all that i agree in this case. I wouldn't put money on him without seeing how he recovers from his injury.

Any chance of getting him in on loan, or do Barca need to sell?
Any loan would be contingent on both him wanting to leave Barcelona for a year, and us taking whatever weekly wage he’s currently on in full.

Don’t see it.