Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

If he is 30m and willing to take a massive paycut then why not. ETH has been obsessed with him since day 1.

But it won’t get done unless we can offload at least 1-2 midfielders. Mctominay being the key here.

Certainly not an expert on FdJ, but hard to see that midfield not get mauled
All three have a good defensive work rate, so that would not concern me. FdJ has good defensive awareness, he can even play as a cb.

He signed a new contract early in his second season when they were struggling with finances after Covid. Realistically it's exactly what you say and we all know that that is what happened, but technically the new contract simply starts with low wages and then ramps up significantly. It's why Barca tried so hard to get him to leave so they could effectively pocket that money.

Legally Barca would be in the right, but morally I find their behaviour in this matter disgusting. A player goes out of his way to help the club, then they turn around and try to screw him over.
They sure did try to make him leave and screw him over. It has soured me on Barcelona completely, as well as their antics with financial levers and asking players to lower their salaries.

I guess the ideal situation would be to get both FDJ and Ugarte. Those two, Mainoo and Bruno then rotate for the three midfield roles, with perhaps all of them playing at times with Bruno out wide or a false 9.

Mainoo and FDJ do seem to have somewhat similar strengths, but FDJ tends to do it from deeper positions.

Won't be happening anyway though.
Mainoo would be well behind FDJ, probably playing cup games and coming on late in PL games. ETH loves de Jong.

If he is 30m and willing to take a massive paycut then why not. ETH has been obsessed with him since day 1.

But it won’t get done unless we can offload at least 1-2 midfielders. Mctominay being the key here.
EtH would take him in a heartbeat i'd imagine, but it's whether he'd want to come.

Not sure if it's changed, but he's always seemed pretty dead set on staying at Barca

Huh? They play completely different positions and roles. Baffling post.
Baffling? No way De Jong will be able to play defensively enough in a holding midfielder role (which is what we need) while we give time to Mainoo and Mount. On top of that we got Bruno.

They were open to selling him before.

He doesn’t want to leave.

And his wages are silly.

We have Mainoo.

Move on.

I guess the ideal situation would be to get both FDJ and Ugarte. Those two, Mainoo and Bruno then rotate for the three midfield roles, with perhaps all of them playing at times with Bruno out wide or a false 9.

Mainoo and FDJ do seem to have somewhat similar strengths, but FDJ tends to do it from deeper positions.

Won't be happening anyway though.

Agree with every word there. Including the last line. Sigh.

I don’t even see how he fits into a midfield with Bruno and Mainoo

60m euros! Jesus they'd need to put the majority of that in bonuses to ever get that.

They want the money for Williams. Hopefully no club bites. Plus he is on insane wages I hope they are stuck with him

So we're too skint to sign £50 million midfielders but then we go for De Jong. Makes no sense

They've been open to sell him for ages, I'm sure they'd love to get his wages off their books.

The issue is the player doesn't want to go.

If he came here, it'd be another Di Maria situation.

60mil Euro? Keep him forever please. Barca is not sane if they think anyone will pay the price.

They've been open to sell him for ages, I'm sure they'd love to get his wages off their books.

The issue is the player doesn't want to go.

If he came here, it'd be another Di Maria situation.

Yeah Nou Camp could be burning and he still would dig in heels to stay so always a non starter

Can we all forget about this nightmare and move on? We had chased him all summer previously before ended up with Casemeiro. He had shown no interest whatsoever to come. Leave him alone in Barcelona.

I don't think he is even suitable for PL to begin with.

I may be completely wrong but my understanding of his situation was that he wasn't leaving Barca without being paid the deferred wages that are owed to him? He hasn't actually said that he isn't interested in signing for any other club as far as I was aware. (Again, I could be wrong there).
I only say this because I see a lot here saying that he has turned us down before and that his wages are too high. They are only so astronomically high because he agreed to lower his wages during Covid to help Barca out with the agreement that they would pay him back at a later date, hence the crazy wages he is on today. He wouldn't be expecting to be on those wages if he was to ever move clubs.

Whether or not that he would actually fit into our midfield is another problem but I don't see anyone even attempting to bail Barca out of this one anyway so it's a non starter really. Excellent player though!

De Jong is an extremely talent player that hasn't quiet lived up to what he should have been. He's been injured far too much, he should have been signed 2 years ago, the boat has sailed.

I'd be interested for £30m tops

Mate, Barca wants 60 and add ons. There are also issues with salary settlements which approx 600-700k p/w. On top of these, his wife and him love the life in Barcelona. He also rejected us many times.

Time to move on?

Mate, Barca wants 60 and add ons. There are also issues with salary settlements which approx 600-700k p/w. On top of these, his wife and him love the life in Barcelona. He also rejected us many times.

Time to move on?
My post was a more subtle way of saying I don't care for this signing :lol:

I'm sure we have moved on. Barca are just creating noise to try and stir up interest.

Because of his deferred wages and enjoying the lifestyle there, he'll stay until the end of his contract in 2026 when he will be 29.

I'm not sure what he'll do after that but I hope he doesn't come here. He's a good player but the ship has sailed now.