Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

And where does that leave the mentioned Bruno?
In the false 9 role in this particular set up, but Bruno can occupy loads of positions effectively. His role is creator in chief and that doesn't need to be in a traditional 8 capacity - it can be, but isn't limited to it.

Time to get the gang back together. Did we put a buy back clause on Donny?

We don't need that though, that's why we have Bruno. I see Frenkie as the first receiver anyway so more like:

--------------- FDJ--------------
Combative 8 ---- Mainoo
Bruno needs to be part of the midfield 3, because we are not shifting to a diamond to accomodate FdJ.

Not on 400 grand a week or whatever he's on.
Exactly this.
Even if Barcelona were to accept a lowball of €20m for De Jong, he isn't going to volunteer to give up an absolutely colossal salary

Is he actually really good or does he just have an outdated reputation for being really good?

Not what we need anyway I wouldn't have thought.

Folks are full of it.
"Don't want" and "no thanks".

Who are you kidding? :lol:

It's the anticlimactic drama of the chase you don't want.

It's the prospect of a potentially big salary that you don't want.

It's certainly not that you don't want the player, or that he lacks quality. That would be absurd.

Genuine question. If we were to bring him in and play him and Mainoo in a double pivot, what would the team need to ensure we're weren't left exposed by the lack of a proper no6 in midfield? Whether it be player recruitment or formation change.

Genuine question. If we were to bring him in and play him and Mainoo in a double pivot, what would the team need to ensure we're weren't left exposed by the lack of a proper no6 in midfield? Whether it be player recruitment or formation change.

A defence that presses high and closes the space.
We need that regardless, because currently our forwards press and our defence drops, and not even prime Casemiro and Essien could cover that.

Where is the link?

I would love to have him at Manchester United but not at that crazy deferred Barcelona wage. Lets first see how he recovers from his ankle injury too....

No links and we are here arguing?

A defence that presses high and closes the space.
We need that regardless, because currently our forwards press and our defence drops, and not even prime Casemiro and Essien could cover that.
So if we complete the De Ligt/Mazraoui deals, they've both played in a high press ETH system in the past. A De Jong/Mainoo midfield could work realistically. Yoro as a backup tool seems like he'd be able to slot into that type of system too. Not saying I'm happy with him being the one we go for but if that scenario played out, we'd be pretty strong still and have a very progressive midfield for a change.

If we secure De Jong this time, the long-foreseen destiny of Manchester United's incredible journey to the Champions League Semi-Finals in 2025-2026 will finally come to fruition. The prophecy, whispered through the annals of football history, will transform into a living reality. The echoes of past glories will merge with the roar of present triumphs, painting a tapestry of unwavering determination and unparalleled skill. As the nights grow shorter and the stakes grow higher, the Red Devils shall rise, etching their legacy in the stars. I can hardly wait to witness this epic saga unfold, where dreams meet destiny on the grandest stage of them all.

On a serious note. Why? He outright rejected us last time, he still on massive contract and wasnt he is injured as well?

Reactions: Cheimoon
Bruno needs to be part of the midfield 3, because we are not shifting to a diamond to accomodate FdJ.
We have already shifted to a "diamond". We don't play with an out an out 9 and our wide players do the running in behind. If we look at where Casemiro has been playing in pre-season, that's where De Jong would be infinitely better.

is he really on 600k a week?

If he is his agent deserves a statue.
No idea if it's actually 600k, but it's because he's owed a huge amount from his first couple of years. Barca were struggling financially so FDJ agreed to help them out by changing his contract, getting paid very little (relatively) for his first couple of seasons but then his wage would increase each season so he'd make up the difference in his last couple of seasons. Of course, Barca happily took advantage of those first couple of seasons of low pay then turned around and did everything they could (including using their media to attack him and turn the fans against him) to force him out so they wouldn't have to pay him that money back. The other option they gave FDJ was that if he wanted to stay he had to sign a new contract where he would never get that money back, so effectively stealing the wages they owed him. It was an absolute dog act by Barca and yet another example of how they are one of the most morally-bankrupt clubs out there. Hell, they even tried to get us to pay those lost wages at the time we wanted him, while not actually reducing the transfer fee they wanted to compensate.

While it would have been good to get him at that time, I'm still happy to see FDJ refuse to be intimidated by the club. He refused both of the options that Barca tried to force him into (where he'd lose those wages either way) and just sat on his contract so they had no choice but to pay him the money they effectively tried to steal from him. I'd maybe feel a bit more sympathy for Barca if they weren't going out spending huge money on transfer fees and wages for other players in the meantime.

Isnt he still injured anyway?
Yes and that should be the end of the discussion.

Frenkie de Jong is feeling the effects of three ankle injuries in the space of 12 months. The Dutch midfielder’s latest, which was suffered in April’s Clasico defeat at the Santiago Bernabeu, continues to cause problems, and these could end up turning very serious, if reports are to be believed.
Was expected to be back for the Euros but..

The information revealed states that de Jong’s ankle issue worsens as the workload increases, which is a major concern. It is a case of ankle syndesmosis, which is difficult to detect, and if it is not treated, it could turn into a chronic problem. Surgery wouldn’t be able to help, either.

Yes and that should be the end of the discussion.

Was expected to be back for the Euros but..
Ankle syndesmosis makes it sound exotic, but that is extremely common in sports like football. It's just a high ankle sprain. I would be extremely surprised that any top club wouldn't be able to do an MRI to determine the extent of the damage to his ligaments.

Folks are full of it.
"Don't want" and "no thanks".

Who are you kidding? :lol:

It's the anticlimactic drama of the chase you don't want.

It's the prospect of a potentially big salary that you don't want.

It's certainly not that you don't want the player, or that he lacks quality. That would be absurd.
Yes, we don't want big luxury names on big salaries who don't necessarily want to be here if given their own free choice.

And I don't care if it's Mbappe let alone FdJ. You don't win big trophies with that method.

If we secure De Jong this time, the long-foreseen destiny of Manchester United's incredible journey to the Champions League Semi-Finals in 2025-2026 will finally come to fruition. The prophecy, whispered through the annals of football history, will transform into a living reality. The echoes of past glories will merge with the roar of present triumphs, painting a tapestry of unwavering determination and unparalleled skill. As the nights grow shorter and the stakes grow higher, the Red Devils shall rise, etching their legacy in the stars. I can hardly wait to witness this epic saga unfold, where dreams meet destiny on the grandest stage of them all.

On a serious note. Why? He outright rejected us last time, he still on massive contract and wasnt he is injured as well?
The Devil is in the detail on his contract thought. Supposedly he is on a massive contract. I cannot remember where I read it, might have been the Athletic but apparently Barca offered him something like £200k per week over the course of the contract. Through bad advice or what not it was structured in a way that it was low balled in the first few years then to rise significantly in the latter parts to average out at £200k per week over the lifetime of the contract.

Then when you consider Barca have no more levers to pull, they cant afford to pay him what might amount to £400k per week as per the contract they (stupidly) offered him. I suspect we or any club could negotiate a more realistic market value salary. However if I was in his shoes, I wouldnt walk away from my employer if they owed me some serious back pay he loses all bargaining power.

Ankle syndesmosis makes it sound exotic, but that is extremely common in sports like football. It's just a high ankle sprain. I would be extremely surprised that any top club wouldn't be able to do an MRI to determine the extent of the damage to his ligaments.
According to the Dutch FA, it's a case of Barcelona bringing him back to play again too early. Or at least, it sounded like the Dutch FA thought De Jong would have been fine for the EC if Barcelona would have just let him recover from his injury properly.

Barcelona will still owe the money they owe him, even if they manage to sell him.

You can’t hold someone’s wages for work done, with the promise that you’ll back pay them later, and then sell them to get out of backpaying them later.

We have already shifted to a "diamond". We don't play with an out an out 9 and our wide players do the running in behind. If we look at where Casemiro has been playing in pre-season, that's where De Jong would be infinitely better.

Nah, our shape is more like a 4-2-2-2 in pre-season, or a classic 4-4-2. Now you can argue Bruno can play that false 9 role, but he's not gonna play there all season, we already have Hojlund and Zirkzee for that.

And in our midfield 2, there's usually one ball winner, and one ballplayer(Casemiro-Eriksen or Amrabat-Mainoo).

FdJ-Mainoo doesnt fit that mould at all. When ETH said he wanted FdJ, he said he wanted to pair him up with Casemiro.

I’d be concerned that he’s had setbacks from the same injury several times. The original injury looked horrific. Not sure that he’s going to be the same player after that. I was a huge fan, now I’d be cautious

According to the Dutch FA, it's a case of Barcelona bringing him back to play again too early. Or at least, it sounded like the Dutch FA thought De Jong would have been fine for the EC if Barcelona would have just let him recover from his injury properly.
Yeah, that could certainly have caused a longer term problem if they played him too early in the rehab process.
Nah, our shape is more like a 4-2-2-2 in pre-season, or a classic 4-4-2. Now you can argue Bruno can play that false 9 role, but he's not gonna play there all season, we already have Hojlund and Zirkzee for that.

And in our midfield 2, there's usually one ball winner, and one ballplayer(Casemiro-Eriksen or Amrabat-Mainoo).

FdJ-Mainoo doesnt fit that mould at all. When ETH said he wanted FdJ, he said he wanted to pair him up with Casemiro.
I disagree from what I watched in our build up. Casemiro was coming into the 6 position regularly to receive in the first phase. I'm not arguing he will play there all season, we will need to rotate and Frenkie gives us a high quality option in midfield and Bruno can operate in many positions.

Casemiro can be that ball winner in the 8 position I pointed out, which I think he's better at anyway. We won't just play one XI all season, Bruno could play Mainoo's more advanced role, Frenkie could be rested, all three could be an option when someone intends to sit deep against us.

This vid as quite good at showing the shape. I could fit Frenkie, Mainoo and Bruno in this build up and it would make sense.

This is a non-starter with that monster salary. Barca would see nothing from a £40m fee because all of it would go towards settling their arrears with Frenkie. They are stuck with him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a non-starter with that monster salary. Barca would see nothing from a £40m fee because all of it would go towards settling their arrears with Frenkie. They are stuck with him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They would see (almost) nothing from it, but they would get rid of a yearly cost of what? £30 mill a year?