Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

They would see (almost) nothing from it, but they would get rid of a yearly cost of what? £30 mill a year?
You are right but when have we known Barcelona to be rational? They will want a sizeable chunk of money on top of what they have to settle Frenkie's arrears and nobody in their right mind will give it to them.

You are right but when have we known Barcelona to be rational? They will want a sizeable chunk of money on top of what they have to settle Frenkie's areears.

Remember, two years ago he also had a significant book value. And they owed him more money. Today, he is likely depreciated to zero and they owe him much less. By selling him at £80 mill two years ago they would probably make a loss on him.

Don't get sucked into this bait from click merchants needing to farm some United transfer news. He'd rather play for them for free like a work slave than play for someone that would actually pay him and not treat him as he was red ink on their accounting books.

Don't get sucked into this bait from click merchants needing to farm some United transfer news. He'd rather play for them for free like a work slave than play for someone that would actually pay him and not treat him as he was red ink on their accounting books.
He hurt you, didn’t he?

Barcelona will still owe the money they owe him, even if they manage to sell him.

You can’t hold someone’s wages for work done, with the promise that you’ll back pay them later, and then sell them to get out of backpaying them later.
They can if it's a new contract that is structured that way. Technically the extra wages aren't backpay, it's just set up so that his wage started low then increased dramatically.

Players often have contracts where their wage increases over time. FDJ's is just a very extreme version of that.

They can if it's a new contract that is structured that way. Technically the extra wages aren't backpay, it's just set up so that his wage started low then increased dramatically.

Players often have contracts where their wage increases over time. FDJ's is just a very extreme version of that.

Wasn’t it that his wage was set originally, then after Covid and when they were in financial difficulty they asked him to accept a reduction with the promise that they would back pay him what he was owed later?

Wasn’t it that his wage was set originally, then after Covid and when they were in financial difficulty they asked him to accept a reduction with the promise that they would back pay him what he was owed later?
He signed a new contract early in his second season when they were struggling with finances after Covid. Realistically it's exactly what you say and we all know that that is what happened, but technically the new contract simply starts with low wages and then ramps up significantly. It's why Barca tried so hard to get him to leave so they could effectively pocket that money.

Legally Barca would be in the right, but morally I find their behaviour in this matter disgusting. A player goes out of his way to help the club, then they turn around and try to screw him over.

He signed a new contract early in his second season when they were struggling with finances after Covid. Realistically it's exactly what you say and we all know that that is what happened, but technically the new contract simply starts with low wages and then ramps up significantly. It's why Barca tried so hard to get him to leave so they could effectively pocket that money.

Legally Barca would be in the right, but morally I find their behaviour in this matter disgusting. A player goes out of his way to help the club, then they turn around and try to screw him over.

Ah I didn't realise the contract didn't back him. That's disgraceful to be honest.

His agent also wants sacking for leaving him vulnerable to their bollocks.

Ah I didn't realise the contract didn't back him. That's disgraceful to be honest.

His agent also wants sacking for leaving him vulnerable to their bollocks.
The interesting bit is that he thus doesn't have to be all that crazy expensive - as long as the buying clubs just pays the transfer sum and whatever salary is reasonable. The problem is really Barcelona trying to cheapskate their way out of their own obligations.

Well, and the De Jong is currently injured. Minor detail. Great fit for United though!

Let me see if I have this correct. ETH still wants Frenkie, despite:

We already have Mainoo, who excels at the 8 role.
Frenkie has a massive contract that he will sign away rights to.
Frenkie has rejected United several times already, each time while ETH was manager.
Frenkie has hardly been a sensation with Barcelona.
Frenkie is currently out with injury.

If all of the above are true, it's absolute insanity to even put in a phone call to Frenkie to see if he's interested in United.

Frenkie has rejected United several times already, each time while ETH was manager.

If all of the above are true, it's absolute insanity to even put in a phone call to Frenkie to see if he's interested in United.

Has he rejected us several times?

From what I’ve always understood, his stance with Barca has never changed, to even consider leaving they have to guarantee to pay his deferred wages.
When they tried to sell him 2 years ago, they weren’t willing to do so, and it’ll likely be the same now.
I’ve no doubt they wouldn’t mind cashing in if they could get some serious money for him, but they don’t cash in very well if they pay him a feck tonne of money.
He called their bluff last time, if wasn’t a case of rejecting anyone, he rejected leaving without his deferred wages and he was bang on to do so. He knew if they wouldn’t pay his deferred wages then they’d simply have to end up playing him.

I'm not sure Ten Hag still wants him. Isn't the only news so far that Barcelona is shopping him around again, 'including to Manchester United'?

Although I suppose that, if he's affordable, Ten Hag (and everyone else at United) wouldn't be against the idea. He's an amzing player when used right.

Most Barca fans would be delighted to get rid, we won't pay his wages, we won't afford his fee, he has rejected us several times, his girlfriend and manager has rejected us several times, we have a youngster with a higher ceiling arguably playing in his position and no reliable journo has linked us to him.

It's on.

But Frenkie excel as a 6.

van Gaal has made that point repeatedly over the years. He said it when he left for Barcelona (that he should have moved elsewhere due to Busquets), he said it again when Busquets moved and he repeated it again this year; Frenkie need to play as a 6.

But Frenkie excel as a 6.

van Gaal has made that point repeatedly over the years. He said it when he left for Barcelona (that he should have moved elsewhere due to Busquets), he said it again when Busquets moved and he repeated it again this year; Frenkie need to play as a 6.

He isn't good enough defensively to play as a 6 unless he has someone to take on the destructive side, that's why Barca had to play Christensen with him.

De Jong would push Mainoo to the bench if this happened.

United cannot afford De Jong. Certainly not this summer, anyway. No chance at all that United move for him. If he leaves, he goes elsewhere.

He isn't good enough defensively to play as a 6 unless he has someone to take on the destructive side, that's why Barca had to play Christensen with him.

I see your point. But if that is the case, is Mainoo really good enough defensively?

EtH said in an interview that he planned on playing Frenkie next to Casemiro. I guess if he did, it would be with Frenkie as a 6, like he did at Ajax.

Ideally, a midfield setup would be a midfield three of Mainoo or Mount, Casemiro and Frenkie. With Bruno, Rashford or Garnacho and Højlund or Zirkzee upfront.

We are obviously not getting him. But I do think there is a chance it would work.

feck’s sake, I’m at the station and I see the train but not sure if I can endure getting on again after first time round. Are we really all doing this again ?

The finances are so giant and complicated it may be impossible, but from a squad perspective, Sancho for De Jong (loans or not) makes some sense in that Barca don't really have a classic left winger (Raphinha or Olmo will probably play there, but their best positions have been #10 and RW and Yamal could use a proper backup) and we'd get a deeper midfielder.

I think Barca would rather wait for Williams than get lumped with Sancho.

It makes sense for Barca to sell and use the money to pay his wages owed. They will only have to pay him out of their own funds for the remainder of his contract and then lose him on a free transfer anyway, so I can see the merits in them selling without profit. It would free up wages for them, he’d get what he’s owed and agree a lower contract elsewhere.

They’ve just got to determine whether he is worth keeping for a few years and spending the extortionate wages for him to do so, hoping that he signs a new deal with them at lower wages after they’ve fecked him about and tried to screw him out of what he’s owed.

I have my doubts that Frenkie would be physically and mentally strong enough to play in a defensive midfield role against PL opposition. But they are only doubts.

I guess the ideal situation would be to get both FDJ and Ugarte. Those two, Mainoo and Bruno then rotate for the three midfield roles, with perhaps all of them playing at times with Bruno out wide or a false 9.

Mainoo and FDJ do seem to have somewhat similar strengths, but FDJ tends to do it from deeper positions.

Won't be happening anyway though.

Don't want unless he is injured.

But seriously, again this!! ffs

Makes no sense when we bought Mount.

Play Mount, then take action accordingly in a year.