Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

This. If I’m building a squad from scratch I’m taking Mainoo over de Jong every time.

Frenkie was a reasonable target two seasons ago but this should not even be a consideration now.

They wouldn't be competing for the same position. FDJ would allow Kobbie to play as a box to box and really allow him to succeed in the final 3rd

How do we go from Ugarte to FDJ, two completely different players? One is a Casemiro type player, breaks up play, more defensive - the other is a creative attacking player?

We always do this, we start transfer windows identifying positions that need working on....then sign players for positions we are fully stacked on. It happens over and over again.

City or Liverpool just identify a position they need fixing, narrow it down to a few players and sign one, no getting distracted.

Edit: To be fair, these are only rumors, so could be nothing in it.

Why is it one or the other?

Exactly, I'm seeing loads of posters saying either one or the other. They can both play together. De Jong can play the role Casemiro is currently playing for us, he played that role under Ten Hag at Ajax. I think he would compliment Mainoo quite well. You'd be looking at a midfield that could probably keep the ball against any team. Whilst neither are a prime Casemiro from a defensive point both Mainoo and De Jong are good defensively so having both I think would be quite balanced.

All dream talk though as I doubt he's leaving.

Exactly, I'm seeing loads of posters saying either one or the other. They can both play together. De Jong can play the role Casemiro is currently playing for us, he played that role under Ten Hag at Ajax. I think he would compliment Mainoo quite well. You'd be looking at a midfield that could probably keep the ball against any team. Whilst neither are a prime Casemiro from a defensive point both Mainoo and De Jong are good defensively so having both I think would be quite balanced.

All dream talk though as I doubt he's leaving.
Having two very good ball carrying, press resistant midfielders would be incredible for us.

They wouldn't be competing for the same position. FDJ would allow Kobbie to play as a box to box and really allow him to succeed in the final 3rd

Then I’m confused. Is the idea that Frenkie would be our defensive mid? If so, he’d be chewed up and spit out in the PL.

Man I can’t wait for the football to start and the transfer window to end. The silliness of the silly season is getting too much.

Then I’m confused. Is the idea that Frenkie would be our defensive mid? If so, he’d be chewed up and spit out in the PL.
He would be.

Fred made him look like a chump in that Europa game we played against them. I am highly doubtful that this guy would thrive in the PL.

season 5 premiere in netflix

this will go the distance, I bet the media will link him to united until 2030.

Here we go again.

Didn't he just come back from a bad injury?

It fits profile of our signings another crock

Good player, but I'm not sure his injury record is that good, and he's not ever pulled up trees at Barca. I'd rather us move on from this idea.

Frenkie is a progressive passer?
Difference between someone who is a progressive passer, and someone who can unlock defenses with their passing. If you watch FdJ play, most of the time he will run with the ball and then lay it off nearby. Not someone who unlocks defenses, like say Eriksen/Bruno does.

Him and Sneijder are probably a bit too attacking as a midfield pair. Gaitan coming inside to be an extra man in there might help I suppose. Not sure about it.

Difference between someone who is a progressive passer, and someone who can unlock defenses with their passing. If you watch FdJ play, most of the time he will run with the ball and then lay it off nearby. Not someone who unlocks defenses, like say Eriksen/Bruno does.
We don't need that though, that's why we have Bruno. I see Frenkie as the first receiver anyway so more like:

--------------- FDJ--------------
Combative 8 ---- Mainoo

He is playing for Barcelona. He is a different player in the NT.

Telling him not to run with the ball is a mistake; he is near unstoppable once he gets going. It is a cheat code you should use as much as possible.

He would fit us perfectly because teams like to press us. With him in the squad and Mainoo, we can‘t be pressed really.

We have a bunch of wingers who can unlock defenses with their dribbling and movement. They are not good at patient possession play, so why would we go for a midfielder that facilitates that?

He would be.

Fred made him look like a chump in that Europa game we played against them. I am highly doubtful that this guy would thrive in the PL.

I can see Frenkie thriving in the PL in the Mainoo role, but no way in hell would I swap out Mainoo for Frenkie.

We need a 6 who has a bit of both prime Casemiro (they’re hard to find, so just a “bit” of prime Casemiro) who can read and tackle, and prime Carrick (also hard to find) who can read and pass. I haven’t seen enough of Ugarte or Fofana to know their game well enough to form a judgment, but either of them seem closer to the mark of supplanting Casemiro, who I actually like a squad man for us, albeit a very expensive one.