Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

He can be a difference in playing out of an opponent's pressing. He's hard to take the ball from, twists and turns quick.

But his wages are insane, his injury record is not great.

I'm a fan of his abilities and unique talent, he needs a manager that trusts him. He can be that good.
Let’s see if he’s still as good at those things when he returns from an injury that had his foot pointing the opposite direction

Let’s see if he’s still as good at those things when he returns from an injury that had his foot pointing the opposite direction

He is also pretty awful defensively , Barca had to play Christsensen at DM to cover that issue.

I don't think I have ever seen him play a great match, but plenty of good judges rave about him so more likely a me issue.

He is also pretty awful defensively , Barca had to play Christsensen at DM to cover that issue.

I don't think I have ever seen him play a great match, but plenty of good judges rave about him so more likely a me issue.
He wouldn’t be enough to cover the deficit in our midfield. The PL is too strong

The only DLP in the world and only player that can make a team pass the ball well.

I don't disagree he wouldn't be a silver bullet for us by any means, but at the same time I wonder if anyone minimizing how good he is have ever spent more than just a few moments watching him. We do sorely lack a stabilizing factor like that in our midfield. I do think it would help his career and prestige a bit to go elsewhere IF he comes back from his injury well.

I would like De Jong, especially if Barcelona take Anthony for him, but has De Jong ever expressed any desire to leave Barcelona and come to Manchester and play for us? Seems to me we are pissing in the wind here, and De Jong just doesn't want to leave Barcelona. I have a niece who moved there two years ago for work, she loves the weather and the life style, there's no way she leaving Barcelona and coming back to Canada.

Sack this shit off again. Tell Frenkie that he's there for the remainder of his contract, but that we're happy to have a conversation when that runs out and we'll take him on a free if barca don't want to renew him. Take a page out of Madrids playbook

It seems clear to me that he isn't going to give up his money, which is his right imo. He has two years left on his contract, and the deferred wages are 16m+ if I understand correctly. So unless Barca are willing to pay him what they owe him, he won't be going anywhere.

Mainoo > FDJ. I doubt he would like to be a cover for Mainoo.

I would take all these rumours with a grain of salt. Would be dumb for us to keep chasing this guy. Would be dumber for Barcelona to even considering any deal with Antony involved.

Barca should list him at about 50m, someone will take him at that price, and then pass about half the fee on to De Jong himself to cover all his deferred wages. It’s the only way to get the deal done and balance their books. No one else is going to pick up that tab for them unless it’s Saudi Arabia, and I doubt the player wants to go there.

Problem is, Barca wants to sell him, pocket the money and get out of what they owe him. Never happening.

Barca should list him at about 50m, someone will take him at that price, and then pass about half the fee on to De Jong himself to cover all his deferred wages. It’s the only way to get the deal done and balance their books. No one else is going to pick up that tab for them unless it’s Saudi Arabia, and I doubt the player wants to go there.

Problem is, Barca wants to sell him, pocket the money and get out of what they owe him. Never happening.
Something has to give, they have the two highest paid players in laliga by some distance on their payroll and that's after the arrival of a certain Frenchman.

It's not sustainable.

Something has to give, they have the two highest paid players in laliga by some distance on their payroll and that's after the arrival of a certain Frenchman.

It's not sustainable.
No doubt they're already organizing some levers to bail themselves out.

Last edited:
Don't think it's that clear. Barcelona is his dream club, and he's happy there. He also wants to get paid according to his contract. It has seemed so far that if he leaves, that will not happen. So he might as well stay, and not try to piss off the fans.
Barcelona might have been his dream club before he went there. The state of the club is not the best it's been.

Hasn’t played football since April with the ankle injury, I’m a big fan but it’s not a prudent investment now before seeing how he gets on next season.

It’s funny though how they turned down €85m 2 years ago over the deferred wage, and now even if the buying club pays FdJ that money they still come out worse than if they had just taken that bid and pay him.

He would take a janitor’s job at Barca he loves them so much. I hope we aren’t wasting any time on this.

Hasn’t played football since April with the ankle injury, I’m a big fan but it’s not a prudent investment now before seeing how he gets on next season.

It’s funny though how they turned down €85m 2 years ago over the deferred wage, and now even if the buying club pays FdJ that money they still come out worse than if they had just taken that bid and pay him.

Wasn't the problem that Frenkie didn't, and still doesn't, want to leave.

30-40mil a year salary :lol: don't bail Barcelona out. They deserve each other. Only consider if they are willing to do player exchange with Antony and FDJ agree to a salary of less than 200k p/w.

We have enough mess of our own. Do not involve in another major mess in FDJ.

Wasn't the problem that Frenkie didn't, and still doesn't, want to leave.
Because he was owed a pretty penny, and they didn’t/don’t want to pay it.

From his perspective it makes perfect sense to sit tight, if they want him to leave, pay him the deferred wage, if not he stays, since the manager still pick him, win-win.

No thanks, I’d rather have Mainoo instead.

This. If I’m building a squad from scratch I’m taking Mainoo over de Jong every time.

Frenkie was a reasonable target two seasons ago but this should not even be a consideration now.

I am not getting on this train again. If it's ok, I will just wait at the terminal station to see if it arrives.