French League - 'Ligue 1' 2016/17 | AS Monaco Champions!

Kostur

海尔的老板
Official | Andoni Zubizarreta appointed Marseille Sporting Director

Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille have announced the appointment of Andoni Zubizarreta as the club’s new Sporting Director.

The former Barcelona Sporting Director is understood to have signed a three year contract with OM.

He confirmed in a press conference today that his main strengths come with his understanding of the Spanish leagues, but he admitted that the club will also continue to like to sign young French talents too.
Seems like OM's finally back on the right track. Got rid of the old owner and the conflict with the ultras will hopefully be over, Zubizarreta has done rather good job with Barcelona, hasn't he? Plus Garcia as the new coach, new owner promising money.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seems like OM's finally back on the right track. Got rid of the old owner and the conflict with the ultras will hopefully be over, Zubizarreta has done rather good job with Barcelona, hasn't he? Plus Garcia as the new coach, new owner promising money.
I remember Barcelona fans calling him a fraud.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He has also done a great job with Athletic Bilbao between 2001 & 2004. He speaks French and knows Bielsa so could do something good there.

I remember Barcelona fans calling him a fraud.
As a director of football, he has worked for them between 2010 and 2015: maybe has he made some good choices? :)

JPRouve

Scout
As a director of football, he has worked for them between 2010 and 2015: maybe has he made some good choices?
The good choices were mainly from the head coaches and boards like Rakitic, Neymar or Suarez.

JPRouve

Scout
Good choices: The President-Coach
Bad choices: the DoF (scapegoat)

:nono:
Not really, in those cases we know that Bartomeu and Rossell pushed for Neymar and Suarez while iirc Rakitic was Lucho's choice over Pogba. For other players we have no idea, like in the case of Arda Turan.

Edit: An other example is Umtiti, who was reported as a scout target, apparently Luis Enrique wasn't sold and the scout had to convince him.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Nice 2-0 up against Nantes at half time.

OGC looks increasingly like a Favre team in build up, neat passing & movement (for the most part). Nantes unable to close the huge gaps between their lines and mostly harmless offensively after a huge chance in the 2nd minute.

JPRouve

Scout
Nice 2-0 up against Nantes at half time.

OGC looks increasingly like a Favre team in build up, neat passing & movement (for the most part). Nantes unable to close the huge gaps between their lines and mostly harmless offensively after a huge chance in the 2nd minute.
They were neat in the passing last seasons too, but Favre is definitely a good coach.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
They were neat in the passing last seasons too, but Favre is definitely a good coach.
Didn't know that, because I only started watching them now. But I think I've see an improvement in fluidity & one-touch passing compared to earlier games this season. Not yet in the final third, but in build up and midfield play.

JPRouve

Scout
Didn't know that, because I only started watching them now. But I think I've see an improvement in fluidity & one-touch passing compared to earlier games this season. Not yet in the final third, but in build up and midfield play.
Yeah, they didn't improve in that department compared to last season but they did improve compared to the start of the season. Nice are playing at the same level than last season despite the losses of Ben Arfa, Germain and Mendy, Favre is doing a good job.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah, they didn't improve in that department compared to last season but they did improve compared to the start of the season. Nice are playing at the same level than last season despite the losses of Ben Arfa, Germain and Mendy, Favre is doing a good job.
Claude Puel seems highly regarded in this forum and I liked the bits I saw from Southampton this season, well organised team. So I can imagine he left a good fundament for his successor.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Claude Puel seems highly regarded in this forum and I liked the bits I saw from Southampton this season, well organised team. So I can imagine he left a good fundament for his successor.
Let's say Puel is an experienced coach with a strong track-record in France unlike a 'young coach' like Rély Garde.

Puel in France had very good results with Monaco, Nice & Lille.

With Lyon, it was decent but disappointing given the status of Lyon in the 2000s

JPRouve

Scout
@Downcast What do you think about Ntep, I was really impressed before his run of injuries? I thought that he was as good as Fékir.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Downcast What do you think about Ntep, I was really impressed before his run of injuries? I thought that he was as good as Fékir.
I have just watched the summary of Rennes 1-0 Metz today.

He seems to be in a good shape: one assist today and a good pass that could have enabled Said to score a second goal, some good runs & dribblings.

However, I don't know he has found his full speed back.

If he continues, I'm sure this left-winger will leave Rennes next summer.

JPRouve

Scout
I love the fact that Balotelli for the first time in his career plays for the team, he seems happy to make the runs, to pass the ball and he doesn't try his infamous stupid tricks.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I love the fact that Balotelli for the first time in his career plays for the team, he seems happy to make the runs, to pass the ball and he doesn't try his infamous stupid tricks.
Him leading this young Nice team to a title would be an unbelievable story.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Toulouse manager in Friday’s match. Luis Enrique's job is suddenly not that safe anymore.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
PSG beat Lyon away 2-1, Cavani with another brace. 16 goals in 16 games for PSG, 5 goals in as many games for Uruguay. Has still missed 102 chances per game. Nice, Monaco and PSG all within a point at the top.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The whole team is on fire now. They're not just winning, they're destroying teams. Falcao with 9, Germaine with 8, Fabinho and Lemar with 7. Definitely did not see this kind of start out of them.
Do you watch their games? Been following Fabinho for a few seasons and wondering how he's doing at DM. Scoring a lot of penalties it seems.

JPRouve

Scout
Do you watch their games? Been following Fabinho for a few seasons and wondering how he's doing at DM. Scoring a lot of penalties it seems.
Fabinho was fine in his cameos in midfield last season but now he is really good.

Zoo

Jardim is impressive too, he is just 42 years old. I hope we're keeping an eye on him.

top1whoisman

Scout
Didn’t want to spam THE thread, as I think that should be kept clean of.. well, anything than people paying their respects. But this is fecking stupid.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Didn’t want to spam THE thread, as I think that should be kept clean of.. well, anything than people paying their respects. But this is fecking stupid.

This always happens. If you take off your shirt, you'll get a yellow. There were other ways of doing it without having to take his shirt off, so I have no problem with this.

top1whoisman

Scout
This always happens. If you take off your shirt, you'll get a yellow. There were other ways of doing it without having to take his shirt off, so I have no problem with this.
Yes, well I think it was a nice gesture from Cavani, and the rule is stupid, should be applied only to political messages (although UEFA/FIFA might have a struggle to judge those).

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Yes, well I think it was a nice gesture from Cavani, and the rule is stupid, should be applied only to political messages (although UEFA/FIFA might have a struggle to judge those).
But then the ref would have to read the message and interpret it, which is complicated. What if the player writes somthing in another language or uses some kind of methaphor to make a political statement?

top1whoisman

Scout
But then the ref would have to read the message and interpret it, which is complicated. What if the player writes somthing in another language or uses some kind of methaphor to make a political statement?
You have a point. Still, I think it’s pretty harsh to book him for that.

Uniquim

Got booked for it.
No excuse for booking him for that.
Ridiculous to get booked for that.
That referee should not officiate another match in Ligue 1 again this season.

Absolutely pointless decision.
Cross-quoted this because I didn't want to start a discussion in the Chapecoense thread.

Regardless of how tragic this crash is, and how nice the gesture is, Cavani knows what the rules are, and he broke them. Basically Cavani deemed the consequence of receiving a yellow card worth the action of showing support for Chapecoense. Which makes the gesture even greater in my opinion.

As for the referee, Cavani is standing there with his shirt gone, and there is no way the 4 referees don't see it, and there's no way they can all pretend not to see it. He has to give the yellow card, and suggesting that the referee should not officiate another match this season for following the rules is ridiculous.

The French FA can have a look at it, and consider rescinding it, but I honestly don't think they should. That would leave the whole rule about removing shirts and what statements are allowed open for interpretation.

@top1whoisman @Peyroteo

top1whoisman

Scout
Cross-quoted this because I didn't want to start a discussion in the Chapecoense thread.

Regardless of how tragic this crash is, and how nice the gesture is, Cavani knows what the rules are, and he broke them. Basically Cavani deemed the consequence of receiving a yellow card worth the action of showing support for Chapecoense. Which makes the gesture even greater in my opinion.

As for the referee, Cavani is standing there with his shirt gone, and there is no way the 4 referees don't see it, and there's no way they can all pretend not to see it. He has to give the yellow card, and suggesting that the referee should not officiate another match this season for following the rules is ridiculous.

The French FA can have a look at it, and consider rescinding it, but I honestly don't think they should. That would leave the whole rule about removing shirts and what statements are allowed open for interpretation.

@top1whoisman @Peyroteo
I know. There’s been plenty of these bookings this weekend, our own Pereira one of them. I think all the FAs should just rescind them for this weekend or something.

wr8_utd

:'(
PSG have been missing chances whenever I've put it on. Nice goal for 3-0 now