French League - 'Ligue 1' 2016/17 | AS Monaco Champions!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nice are currently leading with one goal against Lyon and Fekir has been sent off for a stupid stamp. Favre seems to be doing a very good job. Toulouse have won comfortably against Monaco and are in the mix at the top.
This season will be more interesting :)

Lyon is under pressure: 10 points behind Nice :eek:

PSG plays tomorrrow

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
How is everyone enjoying this season? i actually managed to get along to my first Toulouse game vs. PSG, really enjoyed it and hope to go to some more after harvest is finished and i have a bit more time.

another good win against Monaco, so far supporting Toulouse has been more fun than I expected!

Asger

How is everyone enjoying this season? i actually managed to get along to my first Toulouse game vs. PSG, really enjoyed it and hope to go to some more after harvest is finished and i have a bit more time.

another good win against Monaco, so far supporting Toulouse has been more fun than I expected!
I'm surprised how good they have been as they almost got relegated last season.. "My" team Montpellier hasn't been any good or enjoyable to watch :(

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Happy to live in Toulouse?

Toulouse could be the surprise of this season.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Rudi Garcia seems a good choice for Marseille. He did an excellent job at Lille, and was very good at Roma even though it came to a disappointing end.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Rudi Garcia seems a good choice for Marseille. He did an excellent job at Lille, and was very good at Roma even though it came to a disappointing end.
A very good choice: great CV in France with the modest club of Le Mans and then with Lille and experience in Italy.

But Marseille is a special city :D

NYAS

Thoughts so far:
- I like how well Lemar has been doing when he drifts central as Sidibe overlaps.
- Falcao has been ignoring the brilliant movement of Bernardo Silva when the former drops deep and always safely passes it back after he takes an eternity with the first touch then the control then the turn, similar to Rooney these days.
- Harsh on Monaco to be behind at this stage.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Gerard Lopez enters into exclusive talks to buy Lille
Former F1 Lotus Team owner Gerard Lopez has entered into exclusive negotiations to buy Ligue 1 club Lille, the side have announced in an official press release.

Current owner Michel Seydoux had the following to say:

“For several years, I have not been looking for a buyer but a successor. This person had to have the vision, the capability and the project to enable Lille to continue to win titles. Discussions have been ongoing for several months. We are happy to enter into exclusive negotiations with Gérard Lopez, who has the perfect resumé to replace me at Lille.”

Gérard Lopez also commented on the announcement:

“Michel Seydoux has shown in recent months his great professionalism and an exemplary sense of confidentiality, without ever subsiding from his job as conductor who is doing everything for the club to win titles again.”

Gérard Lopez is a Luxembourg businessman who was in advanced negotiations with Marseille owner Margarita Louis Dreyfus to buy that club, but was ultimately pipped to it by Frank McCourt.

Marcelo Bielsa has visited Lille’s training facilities

According to our colleagues at Canal +, Argentinian and former Marseille manager Marcelo Bielsa visited Ligue 1 side Lille’s training facilities 3 weeks ago, as prospective owner Gérard Lopez looks to bring El Loco to Les Dogues.

Lopez had promised to bring Bielsa to Marseille before he was beaten to buying that particular French top flight club by Frank McCourt.

Now, Lopez looks to potentially bring Bielsa to Lille.

Lopez expects any deal to eventually buy Lille to go ahead around January time.

Jacques-Henri Eyraud becomes Marseille President

Marseille have confirmed that Jacques-Henri Eyraud has been appointed as the club’s new President, with immediate effect.

New owner Frank McCourt has picked Eyraud to take the club into a new direction.

The 48 year old is as a Harvard educated business and media man.

Official | Rudi Garcia appointed Olympique de Marseille boss

Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille have announced the appointment of Frenchman Rudi Garcia as manager with immediate effect.

Garcia will sign a 2.5 year contract with OM this afternoon after reaching a termination agreement with Serie A side AS Roma. Garcia was famously successful at Lille.

Garcia will have an unveiling press conference at 13:00 local time tomorrow, and will be on the touchline already on Sunday for Le Classique vs PSG.

Owner Frank McCourt had the following to say on the appointment:

“When I met Rudi, he immediately told me that he wanted to win the Champions League. I immediately knew that he was the man for the manager job at Olympique de Marseille. Rudi is a man with a great character with a lot of energy, we share the same vision for OM and the identical determination to put that into practice.”

“His qualities as a leader have been evidenced on multiple occasions. When he took Lille to victory in Ligue 1 and in the Coupe de France in 2010-11, during his management of Roma who fought for the top positions on the international scene during his first two years at the club, or when he won the title of Manager of the Year in France in 2011, 2013 and 2014. Rudi knows what is needed for a team to win, and for the entire city of Marseille, I cannot wait to watch his future success. Jacques-Henri and I welcome Rudi Garcia to OM.”

Andoni Zubizarreta the favourite for the Marseille Sporting Director role

According to La Provence, former Barcelona Sporting Director Andoni Zubizarreta is the favourite to take on a similar position at Ligue 1 club Olympique de Marseille.

Talks are underway between Zubizarreta and Marseille President Jacques-Henri Eyraud, as was earlier made clear by RTL this afternoon.

OM have moved for Zubizarreta after missing out on Luis Campos.

OGC Nice scout went to FC Nordsjaelland vs Bröndby IF

According to our colleagues at Foot 365, an OGC Nice scout was present at a Danish league encounter between FC Nordsjaelland and Bröndby IF last weekend.

The match occurred on Sunday and finished 1-1. It is believed that scout was present to watch Danish youth international attacker Marcus Ingvartsen, who is 20.

Karim Benzema & Djibril Cissé’s fate will be announced on the 16th December

Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema and Djibril Cissé will have their fate announced by the Versailles Court no earlier than the 16th December on varying matters concerning the Mathieu Valbuena sex-tape affair.

Karim Benzema’s legal team attended a hearing this morning as they seek to have the case against him concerning his alleged complicity in the act of blackmail thrown out.

Djibril Cissé’s team also were in attendance today in a separate matter after the Marseille prosecutor moved to make a case to the Versailles court that the former Liverpool and SC Bastia striker should be charged with being complicit in the act of blackmail.

Neither individual will know their fate for another 2 months. Sources close to the case cited by the AFP suggest that there is a possibility that Cissé will now be charged with the aforementioned infringement of the law.

NYAS

4-2 Monaco, Germain header after an Mbappe cross, so that's a goal, an assist and a penalty won by the new Martial tonight :drool:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Shit, I hesitated watching this match. I really should have...

Official | Rudi Garcia appointed Olympique de Marseille boss

Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille have announced the appointment of Frenchman Rudi Garcia as manager with immediate effect.

Garcia will sign a 2.5 year contract with OM this afternoon after reaching a termination agreement with Serie A side AS Roma. Garcia was famously successful at Lille.

Garcia will have an unveiling press conference at 13:00 local time tomorrow, and will be on the touchline already on Sunday for Le Classique vs PSG.

Owner Frank McCourt had the following to say on the appointment:

When I met Rudi, he immediately told me that he wanted to win the Champions League. I immediately knew that he was the man for the manager job at Olympique de Marseille. Rudi is a man with a great character with a lot of energy, we share the same vision for OM and the identical determination to put that into practice.”

“His qualities as a leader have been evidenced on multiple occasions. When he took Lille to victory in Ligue 1 and in the Coupe de France in 2010-11, during his management of Roma who fought for the top positions on the international scene during his first two years at the club, or when he won the title of Manager of the Year in France in 2011, 2013 and 2014. Rudi knows what is needed for a team to win, and for the entire city of Marseille, I cannot wait to watch his future success. Jacques-Henri and I welcome Rudi Garcia to OM.”
Ah good to know that Garcia's delusion will go hand in hand with Marseille's :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Mbappe is the new Martial.
Yeah, the French players born in 1997-98 are fantastic :drool:: Dembélé (Dortmund), Mbappé (Monaco), Lafont (Toulouse), Augustin (PSG), Edouard Osdonne (Toulouse), Callegari (PSG), Nkunku (PSG), Ikoné (PSG)...

We could say the same for Brazil :)

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
I'm surprised how good they have been as they almost got relegated last season.. "My" team Montpellier hasn't been any good or enjoyable to watch :(
yep, i was expecting a relegation battle so i have been surprised with the quality whenever i have watched them. i have always had a soft spot for Montpellier, didn't they win the league a few years back?

Happy to live in Toulouse?

Toulouse could be the surprise of this season.
Actually living a little way outside of Toulouse but they are the nearest decent sized team. I've been here a few years and really like the area, I work in the wine industry so it is a decent region for me.

Looking forward to PSG vs. Marseille this weekend

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
How is Corentin Tolisso tagging along? I've noticed that he got 5 goals and 2 assists in 13 matches.

Asger

yep, i was expecting a relegation battle so i have been surprised with the quality whenever i have watched them. i have always had a soft spot for Montpellier, didn't they win the league a few years back?
I have actually just lived here for one year. But I think Montpellier was the last team to win the league until PSG started to do things! Think it was 2011 when Montpellier won.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
How is Corentin Tolisso tagging along? I've noticed that he got 5 goals and 2 assists in 13 matches.
He seems to be improving and was the captain of France under-21 side.

Regarding the central midfielders, Deschamps prefers

1. Paul Pogba (Manchester United)
2. Blaise Matuidi (PSG)
3. Dimitri Payet (West Ham)
4. Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle)
5. N'Golo Kanté (Chelsea)
6. Yohan Cabaye (Crystal Palace)

I'm sure Rabiot will replace Cabaye in the short-term while Tolisso could challenge Sissoko in the next 2 years.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
He's been brilliant. Easily Lyon's best player with Lacazettte. Really hope we sign him.
He play as a #8 right? A bit like Herrera?

Not sure if we can fit him in? But I do see that he has played quite a few matches as a defensive midfielder as well.

Could be one to watch if he is defensively disciplined enough for a Mourinho midfield.

bucky

He plays as #8 right? A bit more attacking Ander Herrera?

Not sure if we can fit him in? But I do see that he has played quite a few matches as a defensive midfielder as well.
He's at his best as a #8, correct, but he's also played quite a few games as a #6. His performances weren't affected by it. I would like to see Herrera as the deepest midfielder with Pogba and Tolisso in front of him. IMO it would work really well, even if it would limit Herrera a bit.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He's at his best as a #8, correct, but he's also played quite a few games as a #6. His performances weren't affected by it. I would like to see Herrera as the deepest midfielder with Pogba and Tolisso in front of him. IMO it would work really well, even if it would limit Herrera a bit.

I think so. This season, Lyon prefers to use a 3-5-2 system

Lyon 0-1 Juve this week

-

bucky

Thanks @Downcast and in general what you do in this thread. It's appreciated.

I don't really know what Genesio is trying to do to be honest or what to make of him. The 3-5-2 worked because of the injuries, but when everyone is fit his team should be:

Lopes

Rafael - N'Koulou - Mammana - Rybus

Tolisso - Gonalons

Ghezzal - Fekir - Cornet

Lacazette
Morel, Ferri and Darder for example shouldn't be playing as much as they are. They aren't good enough for their starting XI. Losing Umtiti has really hurt them defensively. The back four has been one of their biggest problems with Rafael probably being the only consistent player currently. I've been critical of Rafael but lately he's been a lot better and looked like his old self.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thanks @bucky

Your team looks better.

The 3-5-2 was implemented because of injuries but also because their central defenders are not very reliable (Yanga Mbiwa, N'koulou). It's possible that Nice has inspired him given their excellent performances in the league with a similar tactical system.

In my opinion, Lyon lacks 1-2 senior players capable to deliver consistent good performances and guide the products of the academy: Tolisso, Gonalons, Ghezzal, Cornet, Fékir, Lacazette, Ferri...

- Lacazette - older than his very young teammates - will do the job this season in order to leave the club next summer
- Ghezzal is only focused on his next contract
- Fékir needs time to recover from his injury
- Jallet is experienced but still injured

Genesio is already under pressure.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
0-0 in the end. A good start from Garcia. Emery has yet to fill the Blanc-shaped hole at PSG to a surprising extent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
0-0 in the end. A good start from Garcia. Emery has yet to fill the Blanc-shaped hole at PSG to a surprising extent.
I said that Blanc wasn't that bad, that the fans were ungrateful and that Ibrahimovic was everything for them.

JPRouve

Scout
4-2 Monaco, Germain header after an Mbappe cross, so that's a goal, an assist and a penalty won by the new Martial tonight :drool:
Don't call him the new Martial at the same he is better than Martial. He deserves to be known as Mbappe.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I said that Blanc wasn't that bad, that the fans were ungrateful and that Ibrahimovic was everything for them.
Fans are generally grateful and we could say the same for the top management who paid him €20m to sack him!

Last summer the question was 'Is Blanc the right man to win Champions League?'.

IMO, the answer is 'No' when we bear in mind France-Spain at the Euro 2012 (Debuchy RW), Chelsea 2-0 PSG in 2013 (1st leg PSG 3-1), the games against Barcelona in 2014 and City in 2015, the management of the young players (Coman...)...

Things would be better if:

- Di Maria plays on the right instead of Lucas
- We experiment new options on the left flank: Ben Arfa or Jésé
- Pastore is not always injured
- the coaching during a game was more proactive during a game

NYAS

Don't call him the new Martial at the same he is better than Martial. He deserves to be known as Mbappe.
Yes he's better than Martial was at the same age but that's an extremely high standard to set. How many 17 year-olds have shown this quality consistently at that high of a level?

I hope he can have a season like Martial did last year at 19, but that will be very difficult to achieve.

I called him the new Martial because of many similarities I see in their game and their impacts. But if it makes you happier I can call Martial the old Mbappe. ;)

JPRouve

Scout
Yes he's better than Martial was at the same age but that's an extremely high standard to set. How many 17 year-olds have shown this quality consistently at that high of a level?

I hope he can have a season like Martial did last year at 19, but that will be very difficult to achieve.

I called him the new Martial because of many similarities I see in their game and their impacts. But if it makes you happier I can call Martial the old Mbappe. ;)
That's the point.:)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Official | Andoni Zubizarreta appointed Marseille Sporting Director

Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille have announced the appointment of Andoni Zubizarreta as the club’s new Sporting Director.

The former Barcelona Sporting Director is understood to have signed a three year contract with OM.

He confirmed in a press conference today that his main strengths come with his understanding of the Spanish leagues, but he admitted that the club will also continue to like to sign young French talents too.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Gérard Lopez looks to close Lille purchase in early December

Luxembourg businessman Gérard Lopez is set to complete the purchase of Ligue 1 side Lille OSC by early December, according to RMC.

Lopez will additionally take on the role of President as well as owner, according to the report.

Luis Campos will not be appointed as the club’s Sporting Director officially, and instead is likely to take up a similar position that he previously held at AS Monaco as Special Advisor to the President, who will in this case be Lopez.

Campos has been told that he will be given full power in terms of signing players and looking after youth development, and Campos and Lopez are speaking every day, according to the report.

Lopez, who is set to sell his stake in Club Sportif Fola Esch, will assess Lille’s accounts in depth in the coming weeks before finally buying the club.

In recent days, Gérard Lopez has had candid conversations with current manager Frédéric Antonetti and confirmed his desire to keep the Frenchman on.

However, it is understood that Luis Campos wants to rid of Antonetti and send a message to the players that their current level of performance is unacceptable.