Final | Spain vs England

I find it somewhat incredible that this will be only the 7th time in football history that Spain and England are playing eachother in a competitive game (I don’t count that Nations League shit).

What if we actually win? It's hard for me to actually truthfully imagine it. It would feel almost wrong after a lifetime of never truly believing it could happen. Part of me thinks we're not actually meant to win anything ever again.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I’ve wanted an England tournament win longer than I’ve wanted anything in my life - literally, anything. What if that happens today? Then what? I have no idea. But these next 5-1/2 hours are going to crawl.

Unlike the Spanish squad of 10 plus years ago this current bunch ain't anything special England should just go for it & to hell with the consequences.

I mean look at the last final vs Italy, England were mostly negative & being far too cautious against an Italian team that let's face it showed how rubbish they really are by failing to qualify for the following World Cup.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I’ve wanted an England tournament win longer than I’ve wanted anything in my life - literally, anything. What if that happens today? Then what? I have no idea. But these next 5-1/2 hours are going to crawl.
I guess your life would be complete at that point and nothing else matters. Please add me to your will.

Yep, anything is possible. What's probable is another thing.
Spain winning on a single individual moment of genius is just as probable as England doing the same. Better? Spain really aren't meaningfully worse than england individually

What if we actually win? It's hard for me to actually truthfully imagine it. It would feel almost wrong after a lifetime of never truly believing it could happen. Part of me thinks we're not actually meant to win anything ever again.

It'll be one hell of a fecking party anyway. I wonder just how many people have got tomorrow booked off, and how many of those that haven't will be turning in.

As for moving further into the future, it obviously won't change too much except when it comes to the world cup we'd be in a position that we haven't been in for 60 years. A completely different pressure than we'd have known before, but with the weight lifted of all those years of hurt.

The players will go down as legends of the game if they do it.

Spain winning on a single individual moment of genius is just as probable as England doing the same. Better? Spain really aren't meaningfully worse than england individually

I agree. I think both defences could be better but Spain's front 6 is better collectively. Yamal, Williams, Rodri and Ruiz all start in a combined team, and perhaps Olmo too on tournament form.

I agree. I think both defences could be better but Spain's front 6 is better collectively. Yamal, Williams, Rodri and Ruiz all start in a combined team, and perhaps Olmo too on tournament form.
Even just individually, not taking form into account, England have a better starting XI, but not by much. The bench is where England have a clear advantage. (It's eerie how many similarities there are between this game and the 2021 final). And when you take form into account, if anything, Spain are better individually too

Don't really care who wins just want a good final.
England playing like in the first 45 against Holland against Spain playing like they have done all tournament would be genuinely exhilarating. Sadly I doubt Southgate will allow that to happen.

BBC for the game tonight. Drab pundits but Matt Sammerface on the other side is going to be so heavily contrived and scripted, you may as well play the Archer's in the background and not notice much difference.

My gut says Spain today. My gut has been right about every England match so far. Looks like Alcaraz is running away with Wimbledon. Good day for Spanish Sport.

Starting Kane today would be a joke decision. But of course, he will. If he was suffering from bad form I would stick with him but he looks (badly) injured. In that case, it's a huge insult to Watkins.

Starting Kane today would be a joke decision. But of course, he will. If he was suffering from bad form I would stick with him but he looks (badly) injured. In that case, it's a huge insult to Watkins.

He’ll def start Kane. It doesn’t feel like a victorious evening. So don’t think it would matter.

Unlike the Spanish squad of 10 plus years ago this current bunch ain't anything special England should just go for it & to hell with the consequences.

I mean look at the last final vs Italy, England were mostly negative & being far too cautious against an Italian team that let's face it showed how rubbish they really are by failing to qualify for the following World Cup.
The game that turned me off southgate for life...

Think Spain have clearly been the better team and are clear favourites, but I hope England can win as its not guaranteed they'll be in finals in coming tournaments. Think if England can nick it it'll be close, but Spain might be able to get a convincing couple of goals win if it goes their way. I think I mostly just hope that England play well regardless of the result because so far we've had a couple of good halfs and thats all. Also hoping Kobbie rises to the occasion and this experience helps kick him on to the next level as a leader for United - possibly a captain in coming years.

It is going to be close, but Spain has been strong so far, so I think they are going to win 2-1.

¡¡Vamos España!!

2-1 Spain, close game, might go to ET

England will win sooner or later, another home Euros in four years and Saka, Bellingham, Foden and Mainoo will all be mid 20s or younger and who knows who else will break through in that timeframe so that will be another tremendous opportunity whatever happens today.

Germany started their comeback in 2006 reaching WC SF and didn't win a major title for another eight years. Spain after their golden run haven't won anything for 12 years (if we're not counting nations league). Portugal won out of nowhere in 2016 after coming so close so often in the 2000s. France for all their talent only won one competition in the last decade.

Trying to dominate at international level is pretty much the same as in CL. Occasionally you get the freak team like Real Madrid dominating but usually it's very hard to win back to back major titles.

If England scrap their way to a win tonight which is the most likely route to success then ultimately it will just be their time with the ball running for them in this tournament compared to the others.

Also FA need some credit for finally making long called for changes. Opening St Georges Park in 2012 when other nations had dedicated training centres open for decades, insisting the best young players played in youth tournaments instead of skipping them (Foden, Gallagher and Guehi all played in under 17s World cup win over Spain in 2017) and also not just saying penalties were a lottery and actually putting in research and practice to get better at them.

What tonight won't spark is some long heralded England dominance at international level. Germany on their way back and Spain have potential generational young talent bubbling. Will also need to replace many of the regular defence and Kane in next 2-3 years.

It wasn't really a moment of genius but yeah, something like the winner against Germany and the scorer was a surprise and can happen for either team.

It'll be one hell of a fecking party anyway. I wonder just how many people have got tomorrow booked off, and how many of those that haven't will be turning in.

As for moving further into the future, it obviously won't change too much except when it comes to the world cup we'd be in a position that we haven't been in for 60 years. A completely different pressure than we'd have known before, but with the weight lifted of all those years of hurt.

The players will go down as legends of the game if they do it.

Starmer will immediately call a bank holiday at 10pm/11pm with a win, I think he's all but confirmed that in interviews and it's an obvious open goal for Labour this early into their administration.

I assume a victory parade is also booked for Monday evening in London, these guys badly need a holiday so can't be delaying it until later on in the week.

I always smile at the likes of @OverratedOpinion posts but you can bet the media will have a steam of pundits/columnists deriding other nations and saying we English know best (yes it's taken nearly 60 years to win another tournament so of course that's a valid opinion...:lol:) so not really looking forward to reading/listening to that hysteria.

Ultimately it will be England's time eventually and they are getting to end of tournaments too often for it not to happen sooner or later. Bit like Murray eventually winning a slam after 4-5 years of making SFs/Finals.

Heart saying 2-1 England, brain saying 3-1 Spain.

The combined 11 is quite tricky to do as both teams have a lot of quality. I think it would depend on what you base it on. If its form this tournament, Spain would have the advantage. If it's overall form the past season I think England would have more players. Especially considering Kane, Bellingham and Fodens form so far this tournament. Hopefully this is the game where it clicks for us.

Dosen't really shock me. Shaw had 45 minutes so should manage an hour. Think Yamal would've tied Trippier in knots and unbalanced England in midfield with Mainoo needing to help him out constantly so worth a gamble to see how long Shaw lasts.

2 hours and 16 mins till kick-off. How are you guys coping? :)

2 hours and 16 mins till kick-off. How are you guys coping? :)
Tiring the kids out. They think I'm the world's best dad, doing every activity under the sun but in reality, I just want to watch the game undisturbed :lol: