Final | Spain vs England

It's also so inevitable and pathetic. You can bet if England lose there will be a "Let's all laugh at England" thread up within 5 seconds of the result.

There’s already 12 of them, dating back to 2005. :lol:

Why is suddenly a realistic assessment something we're demanding from fans in the build up to a game?

You're in for a shock when you discover fans sing songs during matches that egregiously overlook the positive aspects of the opposition.
This is not a song. This is a site, where you discuss football and normally you don't go blind when you have to face another team. If Manchester United was going to play against Bayern Munich, I could identify many of their key players anyway in the build up to the game.

However, I know that you can get very excited in the built-up to an important match, and therefore I also try to point out that the strength ratio between England and Spain is probably closer than the post suggested.

Probably because, to me anyway, it feels like our moment. It didn't feel real last time, I couldn't believe we were in the final. This time, it feels right. That last Euros was just a fun ride, feels a lot more serious now.
I thought last time it was much bigger, playing at Wembley and playing a team many thought we could/should beat.

This time we’ve been broadly terrible bar the first 45mins again Netherlands and we’re expected to get beaten by most people. Might just help us I guess.

I thought last time it was much bigger, playing at Wembley and playing a team many thought we could/should beat.

This time we’ve been broadly terrible bar the first 45mins again Netherlands and we’re expected to get beaten by most people. Might just help us I guess.

Last time felt like a drunken weird haze to me. I suppose the actual fact we've not been great has made it feel more real, bizarrely.

That you can only find 3 spanish players in a team that is among the best national teams in the world. But you can easily find half a team in the English national team. It seems strange and not a real and realistic assessment of the strength of the two national teams.
Who are the English players?

Hard to call this one as I wouldnt say Spain winning is a gimme.They have played the best football in the tournament but anything can happen in a final and its a good England team they are up against who on their day could give them their best game if it clicks.
Hope there are some goals and not a cagey 0-0 to extra time/pens final.

Hard to call this one as I wouldnt say Spain winning is a gimme.They have played the best football in the tournament but anything can happen in a final and its a good England team they are up against who on their day could give them their best game if it clicks.
Hope there are some goals and not a cagey 0-0 to extra time/pens final.
Spain playing the best throughout the tournament is a false narrative. Beaten on xG by Croatia in the opener and fortunate to win. Struggled to beat Italy with an own goal. Italy who were them comprehensively beaten by Switzerland. Scraped a win against Albania. Conceded first against the worst team in the tournament in Georgia. Needed extra time to beat Germany. Conceded first against France.

They've won when they've needed to but this idea they're some sort of Barca 2008-11 reincarnation is nonsense.

England will get chances and need to take them as comfortably the better team.

Spain playing the best throughout the tournament is a false narrative. Beaten on xG by Croatia in the opener and fortunate to win. Struggled to beat Italy with an own goal. Italy who were them comprehensively beaten by Switzerland. Scraped a win against Albania. Conceded first against the worst team in the tournament in Georgia. Needed extra time to beat Germany. Conceded first against France.

They've won when they've needed to but this idea they're some sort of Barca 2008-11 reincarnation is nonsense.

This is an awful take.

Just awful.

Did you actually watch the game?

If you want England to win, that means you want Spain to lose, which is pathetic and racist. You monsters.

I genuinely do not give a feck how it happens, as long as we win. I think this is a totally sane and normal way to feel, I am not ashamed.

That is perfectly understandable and to be honest that is how I feel as well. Playing well and winning would be great. But playing well and losing would be awful.

The irony is the whole anti-England thing is dripping in patronising xenophobia and always has been. As if other fans from other countries simply turn up to have a nice time, not really understand what's going on, but just want to enjoy themselves

That England are the 'main character' and the whole of Europe wants them to lose every game because even if England play a traditional rival of theirs, hating England will trump their silly little regional squabble. Because they're only foreign so don't really understand rivalries properly.

Main character syndrome by proxy the England haters bestow on the national team, often exposes some pretty problematic attitudes towards those from other countries who don't build their footballing identity around what people think of the England team.

:lol:

Congratulations my lovely English people for winning your first international tournament since 1966.
You’ve been through many heart breaks over the years.

Maradona’s hand of god + the greatest solo goal in football history in the same match, Lineker shitting himself and Gazza’s tears, bottling it against the Germans (!) in Wembley, Beckham’s red, Rooney’s injury and penos against Portugal, Tronaldo’a wink and penos against Portugal again, Getting obliterated by the Germans with Gareth Barry walking back to defend a counter, Pirlo’s panenka, Iceland (lol), Bonucci singing “Its not coming home” to the camera after you had an early lead and finally Mbappe laughing at Kane’s penalty miss.

All of these were incredibly wholesome and the more cruel it was the harder we all laughed, but, this time you did it.
Sir Sareth Gouthgate managed to lift the curse by putting his trust in Kobbie Mainoo, well done.
Just make sure Sir Harry Kane doesn’t drop the cup because he sure as hell never lifted one before.

The haters of England football team aren't safe anymore.
We're no longer all together as one, but separate mental patients that yearn to be ejected out of this poisoned atmosphere to a warm bed and friendly therapists.
Reality's on her way. Where am I?
What have I done? Was it worth it?And by the way,what the feck happened here?
All you have to look forward to now is unconsciousness, but you can never sleep.

Spain had the game won in half an hour against Croatia. Granted Croatia created a few chances after that and should have scored, but it was irrelevant and a case of Spain seeing the game out and picking them off as needed. Xg is always a poor measure when one team is ahead early and is happy to manage the game out

The Italy game was a pumping - the strongest performance we saw in the group stages.

The Georgia game was a pumping too. The difference there is that all the other big countries aside from possibly Germany would’ve made heavy weather of that game, scraping it fortunately or succumbing as Portugal did.

Needing extra time to beat Germany is hardly a criticism. Spain 2008 needed penalties to beat Italy, Spain 2010 lost to Switzerland, and Spain 2012 needed penalties to beat Portugal. And that’s the most dominant international team of the modern era.

This Spain have been comfortably the best team in the tournament and the only top side who look cohesive and are clearly more than the sum of their parts. Whether they win tonight is a different question as they have had a tough run and are now showing signs of fatigue. England are getting their shit together and have plenty in the tank. Can see a similar game to the France semi.

Who was better ?

I mean the same could be done for England much easier, no?

Got dominated by Serbia, the worst-coached team in the tournament, after scoring an early goal.
They were even worse against Denmark and should've lost.
They played horribly against Slovenia in the last game of the group.

They were losing against Slovakia till the 95th minute and needed a wonder goal to get to extra time.
Switzerland had the better xG and should've won in at least extra time.
Even in the game where England played some decent football they didn't create many chances and had the same xG as the Netherlands without the soft penalty.

I think Spain played the best throughout the tournament not because their football was brilliant but mostly because no one else played that well.

:lol:

There's no need to downplay Spain's performances. Along with Germany, they are the the team that planned to go far in the tournament by asserting control and playing football.

But this isn't the only way to win a NT cup tournament. England have shown great resilience and character since Southgate settled on his first team and impact subs. Has any other team got to the final by conceding first in all three of their knockout games?

Both teams deserve to win it. Spain look easy in the eye, that's true, but this self- flaggellation among some England fans feels weird. There's a great redemption arc in the cards for several of the players who have not only been ridiculed, but also abused on SM. There's also a new crop, Mainoo is one of them, who have the chance to begin their NT careers as champions (after a lot of letdowns). Bellingham is a game away from having the season of all seasons. Kane a game away from lifting his curse. So many good stories there... The only sad thing is that two players iwho have the talent will not be there because of their performances. It stings a bit that they both wear the United shirt.

I'm expecting some absolutely woeful tactical setup from Southgate today with some awful in-game management as well. He will mess it up, I can feel it.

What if we actually win? It's hard for me to actually truthfully imagine it. It would feel almost wrong after a lifetime of never truly believing it could happen. Part of me thinks we're not actually meant to win anything ever again.

Can't decide who I want to win. On the one hand Spain have played the best football and England have mostly served a pile of shit. The English media would also be insufferable if they win. However, I would love for Kobbie to win. Never mind, I like Kobe more than I despise those other things, so good luck to England!

Last edited:
If it doesn’t happen today it never will. Unless we get a Klopp/Guardiola in charge.

Rice is indeed a big game changer as we saw in the Holland game. Just in a negative way.
You know… I haven’t had much good to say about Rice throughout the competition (check his thread), but if puts one in from 20+ yards out tonight, I won’t be in the least bit surprised. Same goes for Harry “the traffic cone” Kane, Foden, who has had a rubbish tournament, or Mainoo, Bellingham or Saka, which is the point.

Even if some in that group don’t even deserve to start the final, any one of them can win the game in a moment.
In a direct comparison, yes, especially so when you factor in form and team cohesion. England have the edge, only just, when you factor in the benches

Spain is just as likely to win off of individual talent as England. It already got them past Germany and France
You better hold your hand up if some “random“ turns the game for England tonight! :annoyed:
Fabian Ruiz has scored more than 4 of them combined and didn't make it into your match winners ?

But Rice who hasn't put in a solid 90 mins has.

You're doing it again folks.
Yes, him too!
That you can only find 3 spanish players in a team that is among the best national teams in the world. But you can easily find half a team in the English national team. It seems strange and not a real and realistic assessment of the strength of the two national teams.
You don’t need a team of hotshot snipers to be the best in the world.And whatever it is you are taking from what I’m saying seems to be way left field and almost a straw man you’re arguing against.

Spain are the favourites, and for good reason, but that reason is not individual brilliance over the strength of the collective. England are moments FC, by contrast, and will be again should they win this outside of penalties.

Can't decide who I want to win. On the one hand Spain have played the best football and England have mostly served a pile of shit. The English media would also be insufferable if they win. However, I would love for Kobe to win. Never mind, I like Kobe more than I despise those other things, so good luck to England!
Deceased NBA All-stars game is next week.

Bellingham as potential to either win it for us or lose it for us. He’s one of the most frustrating players to watch… keeps onto the ball to long instead of releasing it when he can.

You better hold your hand up if some “random“ turns the game for England tonight! :annoyed:
it's entirely possible. Equally possible is Joselu comes on and wins the game for Spain