Film Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 7)

I don't think it's scary...very few films are in any way really...but it is brilliant.

Scary for me is a broad term but I like a horror films to have moments where you can relate to the fear, feel the suspense or some discomfort (i.e. creeped out) or even a little jump.

Imo the most unsettlingly part of The Exorcist is the struggle Ellen Burstyn character goes through. The idea of having a very unwell child and bringing her through all the correct medical institutions and nothing working, so your last answer is the Catholic Church, that’s pretty scary(Especially as Ellen Burstyn in the movie represents the atheist liberal).
Yeah totally but I really enjoy Damian Millers wrestle with his own faith and MVS’ exposure to the enemy of his own beliefs, it’s very intense on these levels.

And I supported his vote. :D

Carry (the OG version) would be my choice over The Exorcist regarding the religious horror angle, but Friedkin is an amazing director (Cruising, Sorcerer, French Connection) and made a very unsettling contemporary-ish horror flic with Bug for everybody interested.
It's Bug the one in a motel room with Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon? That's also a stage play... It's great.
@Dirty Schwein Changing my votes

1. Ringu
  2. The Exorcist
  3. The Neon Demon
  4. Raw
  5. Alien
Thanks for letting me know. Much preferred your original list.

It's Bug the one in a motel room with Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon? That's also a stage play... It's great.

Yep. Pretty unsettling. More about (mind&body) terror than genuine horror I guess but that's the fine print I guess.

Thanks for letting me know. Much preferred your original list.

I'll probably change it again anyway but I can't believe people are voting for that cliche garbage Hereditary over Midsommar though. Thought Hereditary was crap but Midsommar was actually a really new take on the genre. And Neon Demon and Raw aren't for everyone but I much prefer those movies to many of the ones listed. And Friedkin really deserves a movie to get through so if Exorcist has a chance it gets my vote.

Scary for me is a broad term but I like a horror films to have moments where you can relate to the fear, feel the suspense or some discomfort (i.e. creeped out) or even a little jump.
Sure but I think it is unsettling rather than terrifying and I certainly would describe much of it as discomforting. I find the opening scene, Chris MacNeil and Father Damien's psychological torment as well as several Regan scenes both unsettling and discomforting at the least but the general feel of the movie is, I think, both eerie and bordering on profoundly affecting at points.

I don't really expect horror to give me frights. Very, very few films ever have although many have unsettled me but that's not restricted to horror. In horror films I'm therefore not really expecting any sort of terror in the visceral sense and jump scares do nothing for me. I do expect them to make me think about something or play with some of my more primal feelings: the feeling of being hunted in Alien and the cold, unfeeling perfection of evolution, the paranoia, doubt and pseudo-plausibility of the Thing or the unease of the veneer of civilised society being torn away by primal forces in the Exorcist as a few examples.

I'll probably change it again anyway but I can't believe people are voting for that cliche garbage Hereditary over Midsommar though. Thought Hereditary was crap but Midsommar was actually a really new take on the genre. And Neon Demon and Raw aren't for everyone but I much prefer those movies to many of the ones listed. And Friedkin really deserves a movie to get through so if Exorcist has a chance it gets my vote.
French Connection in thrillers maybe?

At least no single mention of that garbage by Rob Zombie so far.

And given the other voting results so far I would have expected Evil Dead way more often.

Imo the most unsettlingly part of The Exorcist is the struggle Ellen Burstyn character goes through. The idea of having a very unwell child and bringing her through all the correct medical institutions and nothing working, so your last answer is the Catholic Church, that’s pretty scary(Especially as Ellen Burstyn in the movie represents the atheist liberal).

Yeah totally but I really enjoy Damian Millers wrestle with his own faith and MVS’ exposure to the enemy of his own beliefs, it’s very intense on these levels.

For me those are dramatic elements that don't create the right emotional responses for the genre. None of those elements make me feel uneasy.

1. Alien
2. Evil Dead 2
3. From Dusk Till Dawn
4. Jaws
5. The Thing

I tend to be less partial to classic horrors - things like Halloween and the Exorcist are good films, but I wouldn't say I like them more than more comedic or otherwise genre-bending entries such as Zombieland, Dog Soldiers, The Cabin in the Woods, Get Out or even Tremors, which I loved as a kid.

Alien is mint though.

From Dusk Till Dawn isn't a great fit in action, horror or anywhere else and saw someone else squeezed it in here so why not...

Sure but I think it is unsettling rather than terrifying and I certainly would describe much of it as discomforting. I find the opening scene, Chris MacNeil and Father Damien's psychological torment as well as several Regan scenes both unsettling and discomforting at the least but the general feel of the movie is, I think, both eerie and bordering on profoundly affecting at points.

I don't really expect horror to give me frights. Very, very few films ever have although many have unsettled me but that's not restricted to horror. In horror films I'm therefore not really expecting any sort of terror in the visceral sense and jump scares do nothing for me. I do expect them to make me think about something or play with some of my more primal feelings: the feeling of being hunted in Alien and the cold, unfeeling perfection of evolution, the paranoia, doubt and pseudo-plausibility of the Thing or the unease of the veneer of civilised society being torn away by primal forces in the Exorcist as a few examples.

Yeah I never got any of those responses from The Exorcist. To each their own, though.

Alien and The Thing do a good job of eliciting those emotions, though.

For me those are dramatic elements that don't create the right emotional responses for the genre. None of those elements make me feel uneasy.
I suppose for me, the unease is putting myself in the shoes of the protagonists, the fear and unease they must be feeling being faced with those events.

French Connection in thrillers maybe?

Yeah, maybe. I have no idea how I'm going to sort thrillers. I already have five Asian thrillers I want to vote for (I really wish Oldboy made it in crime to save me a vote in thriller), then I want to vote for a Lynch movie, also my favorite film of the 20th century I was saving for thrillers and I want to vote a Hitchcock there (North by Northwest) then I'd love to vote for Coup de Torchon though I know it has no chance of getting many votes so voting a Friedkin in horror saves me using a thriller vote for him where I already know I'm going to chance my list.

Just tallied up the first 4 pages. The votes haven't lined up the way I thought they had. A few films really gone under the radar as they haven't been number 1 or 2 on many lists but they've been on enough lists to so far be in the top 5.

I suppose for me, the unease is putting myself in the shoes of the protagonists, the fear and unease they must be feeling being faced with those events.

That's the film doing it's job but it's different for everyone. I didn't empathize, likely due my beliefs when I saw the film. It's like the Friday the 13th series, I can't empathize with the characters because I'd just get the feck out of there once I figured out my friends were getting killed. :lol:

Completely agree, his performance is really amazing. I remember watching a documentary about the making of and the wrestling with belief is all through the film. From william friedkin and
Peter Blatty arguing and battling over the script(Friedkin more of agnostic vs Blatty who was a devote catholic).

Plus it seems a lot of the tension came from the fact Friedkin would fire live pistol rounds into the ceiling at random times. The crazy fecker.

Overall it’s a brilliant film.

May you find the lord before it’s too late.

But yeah as you’ve said horror is very personal. Tbh my number one(suspiria)isn’t even a film I find scary.

Overall it’s a brilliant film.
Exactly, to be honest, I find putting the Exorcist into a genre is a massive disservice to the ambition and execution of the film. That was a very brave film to make back ion those days and the intensity and rawness is rarely matched in modern films. A classic of cinema in my view, regardless of it's purpose or effect.
May you find the lord before it’s too late.
:lol:

The Exorcist is a seminal film, to be fair. I know folk who said they couldn't sleep for a fortnight...after watching it on release. I think it was the first film that had moving props. Or something.

At least no single mention of that garbage by Rob Zombie so far.

And given the other voting results so far I would have expected Evil Dead way more often.
I like quite a few of his films, some are difficult viewing, but I dont like then enough to be in my top 5, maybe Evil Dead 2 on another day.
And of course Rob did not do Evil Dead 2 :lol:

Last edited:
Quick question, slightly off topic so apologies;

I'm thinking of doing either music based one next year or TV shows.

Music is easy, just do it by decade. But how would a TV show one work?

Also, would people prefer music albums or TV shows?

I like quite a few of his films, some are difficult viewing, but I dont like then enough to be in my top 5, maybe Evil Dead 2 on another day.
And of course Rob did not do Evil Dead 2 :lol:

So do you like a few of Rob's or Raimi's films? Big difference.

Watched House of 1000th corpses (?) since a lot of people were raving about it and then gave him one other chance afterwards (Devil's Rejects I think) and found them all incredibly dull and not even intriguing on the visceral gut level. You quickly notice that he tries to "shock" people to detract from the fact that the baseline is utterly tame, conservative and unimaginative. Made Antropophagus, Last House on the Left (original) and the likes look like masterpieces by comparison ;) But to each their own. If you happen to no know it: I'd suggest TCM II which was what I expected Rob to deliver yet got disappointed.

Last edited:

TV shows for me, probably also by genre. Although top 5 per genre would be quite hard for me, don't know that many :wenger:

First: why TV shows not by decade as well? Mixes it up a bit.
Second: both, but I vote for TV shows since it relates to this thread well and especially since I was more than once tempted to throw one into this discussions. Best episodes would be interesting as well but very difficult to do I guess.

Watched House of 1000th corpses (?) since a lot of people were raving about it and then gave him one other chance afterwards (Devil's Rejects I think) and found them all incredibly dull and not even intriguing on the visceral gut level. You quickly notice that he tries to "shock" people to detract from the fact that the baseline is utterly tame, conservative and unimaginative. Made Antropophagus look like a masterpiece by comparison ;) But to each their own. If you happen to no know it: I'd suggest TCM II which was what I expected Rob to deliver yet got disappointed.
I like a few Rob films, I also like Sam films, but for this I got mixed up.
House of a 1000 Corpses and Devils rejects, both had no real plot, gore for gore sake, which if thats what you want is OK, I like both , Devils Rejects music is very good.
His Halloween's were average at best.
I have to be honest TCM does nothing for me.

Last edited:
Don't want to spam this but just got another great, genuinely disturbing one: Tenderness of the Wolves. German movie from the 70s by Lommel/Fassbinder. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Watched House of 1000th corpses (?) since a lot of people were raving about it and then gave him one other chance afterwards (Devil's Rejects I think) and found them all incredibly dull and not even intriguing on the visceral gut level. You quickly notice that he tries to "shock" people to detract from the fact that the baseline is utterly tame, conservative and unimaginative. Made Antropophagus, Last House on the Left (original) and the likes look like masterpieces by comparison ;) But to each their own. If you happen to no know it: I'd suggest TCM II which was what I expected Rob to deliver yet got disappointed.
I remember seeing the trailer for The Lords Of Salem, I was very interested. Then saw the film and felt like slapping myself for being excited about a Rob Zombie film. The man is clueless about filmmaking.
First: why TV shows not by decade as well? Mixes it up a bit.
Second: both, but I vote for TV shows since it relates to this thread well and especially since I was more than once tempted to throw one into this discussions. Best episodes would be interesting as well but very difficult to do I guess.
I'm not too familiar with TV shows but wouldn't decade based be a bit shit considering all the best shows pretty much were made more recently? Like Breaking Bad, GOT, The Wire etc?
I like a few Rob films, I also like Sam films, but for this I got mixed up.
House of a 1000 Corpses and Devils rejects, both had no real plot, gore for gore sake, which if thats what you want is OK, I like both , Devils Rejects music is very good.
His Halloween were average at best.
I have to be honest TCM does nothing for me.
I thought his Halloween films were awful. Especially the second one which starts with a 40 minutes scene and then is like "psyche! It was a dream all along!" Go feck yourself Rob Zombie
Don't want to spam this but just got another great, genuinely disturbing one: Tenderness of the Wolves. German movie from the 80s by Lommel/Fassbinder. Highly recommended.
Mate recommendations is what it's all about. I'll add that to me list.

I find that interesting, the difference in your attitude towards Hereditary and Midsommar.

I liked them both, thought they were quite similar, and had pretty much the same ending.

Hereditary felt very steeped in horror history (or as you say, full of clichés) but you could say the same about Midsommar with its similarities to The Wicker Man.

But the daylight setting is certainly a fresh aspect. I can't believe it hadn't been done before.

Had it? Any horror nerds know?

I find that interesting, the difference in your attitude towards Hereditary and Midsommar.

I liked them both, thought they were quite similar, and had pretty much the same ending.

Hereditary felt very steeped in horror history (or as you say, full of clichés) but you could say the same about Midsommar with its similarities to The Wicker Man.

But the daylight setting is certainly a fresh aspect. I can't believe it hadn't been done before.

Had it? Any horror nerds know?
A big chunk of A Quiet Place was in the day time, it was made a year prior.

Hitchcock's The Birds was mainly day time if I remember correctly.

Jaws if you consider that horror.

The original Predator is mainly day time.

The original Wickerman is daytime I think?

It (2017) has a lot going on in the day time.

Nosferatu was shot completely during daytime :D

I'm not too familiar with TV shows but wouldn't decade based be a bit shit considering all the best shows pretty much were made more recently? Like Breaking Bad, GOT, The Wire etc?

True. Maye a Top 10 from everybody which you calculate a Top 5 of all time? Maybe I'm a bit ignorant but don't think there are THAT many ground breaking series in different genres floating around. Guess it's ignorance on my part.

Mate recommendations is what it's all about. I'll add that to me list.

It's a tough watch. A bit like TCM in that you actually see very little on screen violence but haunting imaginery - both very different movies of course. edit: check out Vampyr by Dreyer if you like old movies as well. I also love Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein very much too.

True. Maye a Top 10 from everybody which you calculate a Top 5 of all time? Maybe I'm a bit ignorant but don't think there are THAT many ground breaking series in different genres floating around. Guess it's ignorance on my part.
It's very complicated with TV shows because I like to run these for a good few weeks... So that you suggested would end very quickly.

I'm think of something don't you worry!

Evening Mr Schwein.

Not sure if you want to leave to an open vote (like the film one) but another option is doing a TV show draw/knockout like one of the FPL guys did earlier this year… see tweet below.

Basically had groups of four, everyone votes and top two go through. Then next round is a group winner v a group runner up.

Not saying copy him exactly (because he hasn’t got stuff like MASH, etc) but an option to play around with?