Film Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 7)

That gave me the same recurring nightmare for years as a kid!

Yep. Prob doesn't even qualify for this, but when I thought of what scared the crap out of me this came up first

1. A nightmare on elm Street
2. Fright night (original)
3. The lost boys
4. Hellraiser
5. Poltergeist

My fav genre next to noir.

1. Zombi (the Fulci one)
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3. Alien Blood for Dracula
4. The Shining
5. Martin

Hard not to fit in Nosferatu, The Thing (Kurt), Night of the living Dead and many more.
edit: took out Alien as it is mentioned in most lists already and I actually forgot about one of my all time favs, Blood for Dracula.

Last edited:
The Thing (Carpenter)
Don't Look Now
Night of the Living Dead
The Exorcist
Suspiria (2018 remake)

Love all your choices (not too big on The Exorcist but whatever) but Don't Look Now is a great call. Amazing atmosphere. Suspiria '18 I also dig, very different to the original one but a pleasant view. I know one of the two detectives a bit, the bald one, and they had much fun shooting the flic!

That gave me the same recurring nightmare for years as a kid!
No paedophile or rape jokes, should go without saying but I know what some of you are like.
Love all your choices (not too big on The Exorcist but whatever) but Don't Look Now is a great call. Amazing atmosphere. Suspiria '18 I also dig, very different to the original one but a pleasant view. I know one of the two detectives a bit, the bald one, and they had much fun shooting the flic!
It was a hard one to compile. Cut out so many films I truly love but Don't Look Now and the Suspiria remake (the original is fantastic too) are both very rich and atmospheric films that I always find myself returning to.

I really wanted to get some movies for my watchlist this round but I've seen most of these... Anyone recommend some horror gems?

:lol: your obsession with that film is truly admirable!
I watch it at least 4-5 times a year mate. And every birthday. I once watched it in the morning, then it was on TV so I watched it again in the same day. Then it was on repeat on TV so I watched it again. Thrice in one day :lol:

I watch it at least 4-5 times a year mate. And every birthday. I once watched it in the morning, then it was on TV so I watched it again in the same day. Then it was on repeat on TV so I watched it again. Thrice in one day :lol:

Interesting to see if Alien gets through in this round as that frees a space up for my sci-fi but I hope a split genre vote doesn't exclude it. It is, to my mind, really a horror.

Horrors are not exactly my cup of tea but lets try:

1. The Fly
2. The Shinning
3. Dead Ringers
4. The Brood
5. Sleep Tight

218834.jpg

Most rounds the big movies in those genres have made it. You say action, you think Die Hard. You say comedy, you think Big Lebowski etc...

So I'm surprised The Exorcist isn't getting as many votes as I thought it would...

Interesting to see if Alien gets through in this round as that frees a space up for my sci-fi but I hope a split genre vote doesn't exclude it. It is, to my mind, really a horror.
Yeah, pure horror. Sci fi secondary genre.
Everyone should be set homework to watch Gattaca and Ex Machina before the sci-fi round.
Both are already set for my list.

Gattaca especially is a real gem. Beautiful and understated sci fi.

Yeah,

Both are already set for my list.

Gattacca especially is a real gem.
Spoiler alert... My sci-fi choices are abysmal :lol:

Like the two mentioned by Hobbers are great but I'm literally putting my favourites... And I favour trash :nervous:

Most rounds the big movies in those genres have made it. You say action, you think Die Hard. You say comedy, you think Big Lebowski etc...

So I'm surprised The Exorcist isn't getting as many votes as I thought it would...

It's not that good of a horror film, really. Hardly scary at all.

I think it's because it's relatively old and horror is a relatively niche genre. Apart from Alien(which is just as much sci-fi), there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus when it comes to horror.

I don't know the average age in this forum, but I'm in mid 30's and no one talked about The Exorcist when I grew up. I first saw it as a part of a university film course.

It's not that good of a horror film, really. Hardly scary at all.
That’s a matter of opinion dude. It isn’t ‘shit your pants scary’ I admit, but it is very unsettling in its approach, almost documentary style. It takes itself very seriously. Personally I find it a very engrossing and uncomfortable watch.

God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers ?

Frederick Niche seems underestimated just how cool and scary The Thing is.

That’s a matter of opinion dude. It isn’t ‘shit your pants scary’ I admit, but it is very unsettling in its approach, almost documentary style. Personally I find it a very engrossing and uncomfortable watch.

It was probably scary at the time of release but by the 1980s it wasn't.

Maybe it's also frightening if you're deeply religious.

For me it never was but it came with a serious reputation and when I saw it it did not meet my expectations.

For me it never was but it came with a serious reputation and when I saw it it did not meet my expectations.
I don't think it's scary...very few films are in any way really...but it is brilliant.

It’s reputation probably does it no favours I agree, most of my mates are on your side of this argument. It was on tv at halloween last year, first time I’d watched it for ages and my appreciation of it as a movie actually increased.

Still, the world would be very dull if we all liked the same stuff eh? Even if you’re wrong :wenger:

Imo the most unsettlingly part of The Exorcist is the struggle Ellen Burstyn character goes through. The idea of having a very unwell child and bringing her through all the correct medical institutions and nothing working, so your last answer is the Catholic Church, that’s pretty scary(Especially as Ellen Burstyn in the movie represents the atheist liberal).

I voted for it.

And I supported his vote. :D

Carry (the OG version) would be my choice over The Exorcist regarding the religious horror angle, but Friedkin is an amazing director (Cruising, Sorcerer, French Connection) and made a very unsettling contemporary-ish horror flic with Bug for everybody interested.