Film Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 7)

I'm think of something don't you worry!

I rest assured.

Btw. this one you certainly know about, don't you?

MV5BNjUyMTE5ZmMtNDQ3NC00OWI4LTliMDktMDRlYzAwNjkzYjhmXkEyXkFqcGdeQWFsZWxvZw@@._V1_.jpg

Evening Mr Schwein.

Not sure if you want to leave to an open vote (like the film one) but another option is doing a TV show draw/knockout like one of the FPL guys did earlier this year… see tweet below.

Basically had groups of four, everyone votes and top two go through. Then next round is a group winner v a group runner up.

Not saying copy him exactly (because he hasn’t got stuff like MASH, etc) but an option to play around with?

I was literally just thinking something like this! Thanks for the heads up!
I rest assured.

Btw. this one you certainly know about, don't you?

MV5BNjUyMTE5ZmMtNDQ3NC00OWI4LTliMDktMDRlYzAwNjkzYjhmXkEyXkFqcGdeQWFsZWxvZw@@._V1_.jpg
I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! :lol:

Horror films is my favourite genre, but on saying that Zombie's and Vampires, just don't have any interest for me.
I find Zombie films all the same, they run fast and eat brains, I don't mind World War Z.
Vampires, just don't scare me.

Horror films is my favourite genre, but on saying that Zombie's and Vampires, just don't have any interest for me.
I find Zombie films all the same, they run fast and eat brains, I don't mind World War Z.
There are good zombie and vampire movies though?

Zombie:
Train To Busan
Marebito
Overlord
[REC]
Rammbock
Contracted
One Cut Of The Dead

Vampire:
What We Do In The Shadows
Blade
Affliction
Let The Right One In
The Babysitter
Interview With The Vampire

Zombie:
Train To Busan
Marebito
Overlord
[REC]
Rammbock
Contracted

Vampire:
Blade
Affliction
Let The Right One In
The Babysitter
They're alright, but not the least bit scary for me

Zombie:
Train To Busan

Marebito
Overlord
[REC]
Rammbock
Contracted
One Cut Of The Dead

Vampire:
Blade
Affliction
Let The Right One In
The Babysitter
I have seen these and yeah they were better than average.
Blade and Interview, I have tried but did not finish them.
I will take your recommendations and give them a go.
Just remembered a film called Bite , not Zombie, but she does turn in to something, its is OK , but dont eat while you watch it some of it is pretty gross

Last edited:
I have seen these and yeah they were better than average.
Blade and Interview, I have tried but did not finish them.
I will take your recommendations and give them a go.
Just remembered a film called Bite , not Zombie, but she does turn in to something, its is OK , but dont eat while you watch it some of it is pretty gross
Start with One Cut Of The Dead. It's a zombie comedy. At first you'll be thinking "DS is having a laugh, this is terrible" but stick with it and about 20 minutes in... It'll click.

Also pretty sure you will like Affliction. It's found footage.

I find that interesting, the difference in your attitude towards Hereditary and Midsommar.

I liked them both, thought they were quite similar, and had pretty much the same ending.

Hereditary felt very steeped in horror history (or as you say, full of clichés) but you could say the same about Midsommar with its similarities to The Wicker Man.

But the daylight setting is certainly a fresh aspect. I can't believe it hadn't been done before.

Had it? Any horror nerds know?

I was probably a little too hyperbolic. Hereditary wouldn't be on the list of the worst movies I've seen and it was admittedly well executed. I just found it almost entirely cliche and derivative and it didn't really do much for me, certainly not enough to consider it for top horror movies of all time. My other two contemporary favorites in horror, Raw and Neon Demon, also have a lot of daylight settings so it wasn't just that aspect with Midsommar. For Midsommar, I thought it was the combination of the color palette and cinematography, the infusion of dark humor elements, and the deconstruction of the cliche of the group of teens/college students that felt fresh and original to me. I remember the comparisons with Wicker Man but I saw that in the 1990s and don't really remember it much so I couldn't say how much was lifted from that concept (other than the burning man) but even if it was, the combo still feels far more fresh and creative to me than Hereditary. Also, I thought the acting was quite well done and tier above most movies in the genre

1. Hereditary
2. The Witch
3. Antichrist
4. The Shining
5. Under the Shadow

Might rejig the order a bit later.

1 shining
2 silence of the lambs(does it count? )
3 psycho (same as the last one)
4 alien
5 exorcist

So many to choose from(Rosemary's baby , Japanese movies etc etc) but I think that's an ok list.

Personally I’ve always preferred the slow zombies in George A. Romero films. It gave those movies a certain pace and added a social commentary to the zombies as well.

I get why other directors changed it up to fast brain eaters/infected but imo it resulted in films with less meaning.

Personally I’ve always preferred the slow zombies in George A. Romero films. It gave those movies a certain pace and added a social commentary to the zombies as well.

I get why other directors changed it up to fast brain eaters/infected but imo it resulted in films with less meaning.
Yeah the Romero films are more watchable than the , fast eat brains version.

The Vampires in Salems Lot used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid.

That film gets nowhere near any top 5 lists or owt but it’s still quite a good, creepy film with some good scares here and there.

giphy.gif

Yeah I don't particularly find any of those scary. But decent movies.
REC qualified as scary for me when I first watched it, or at least intense and distressing. For a zombie movie it feels surprisingly authentic, you can almost imagine yourself ending up in such a scenario for real, something I can't remember another zombie movie ever achieving. At the end it gets downright unsettling. Brilliant movie.

REC qualified as scary for me when I first watched it, or at least intense and distressing. For a zombie movie it feels surprisingly authentic, you can almost imagine yourself ending up in such a scenario for real, something I can't remember another zombie movie ever achieving. At the end it gets downright unsettling. Brilliant movie.
It was close to my top 5. Love it.

Night of the Living Dead is absolutely great.
It‘s my fav too but Dawn was great as well. I think Day was decent (but I forgot about it..). The rest I avoid.
In that mould I would put Assault on Precinct 13 from Carpenter. Not about zombies but the atmosphere is very comparable. One of Carpenter‘s best imho.

The Exorcist is not appreciated enough. Probably because of the "loud" stuff i.e. the dated visual effects.

The themes and such are incredible. I watched an in depth look at the scenes and studied it in film studies class in college. Only then do you really appreciate it. Take the intro scene, the whole thing is a manifestation of "the devil" character - although it doesn't make an apperance, you feel it simply through film techniques. Stunning film.

Yeah the Romero films are more watchable than the , fast eat brains version.
At the end of the day, it’s simply more difficult to pie a fast running zombie horde in the face.
It‘s my fav too but Dawn was great as well. I think Day was decent (but I forgot about it..). The rest I avoid.
It’s a miserable film(Deliberately so)but the special effects are some of the best of all time and Joe Pilato as Captain Rhodes is such a great villain.

The Exorcist is not appreciated enough. Probably because of the "loud" stuff i.e. the dated visual effects.

The themes and such are incredible. I watched an in depth look at the scenes and studied it in film studies class in college. Only then do you really appreciate it. Take the intro scene, the whole thing is a manifestation of "the devil" character - although it doesn't make an apperance, you feel it simply through film techniques. Stunning film.
The first one is brilliant, second one is utter shite, the 3rd is better, for me 4th is the better sequel
Season one of the TV series is excellent, season 2 is poor.

The first one is brilliant, second one is utter shite, the 3rd is better, for me 4th is the better sequel
Season one of the TV series is excellent, season 2 is poor.
None of the exorcist films stand up to the first one, nowhere close, unfortunately. The third one had some decent moments.

At the end of the day, it’s simply more difficult to pie a fast running zombie horde in the face.

It’s a miserable film(Deliberately so)but the special effects are some of the best of all time and Joe Pilato as Captain Rhodes is such a great villain.

I stand corrected then :D
I have watched Night and Dawn numerous times and Day once a long time ago so that seems plausible. Checked Land of the dead but it was awful imho.

I have nothing against some silly horror though. I love the „Warhole“ depictions of Dracula and Frankenstein.

Missed the last round and surprised at some of the ones that made the top ten.

I love horror. Off the top of my head -

1. The Shining - a classic.

2. Exorcist - a classic. Stands up fairly poorly in some parts now with the visual effects but still a masterpiece of horror.

3. Midsommar - not having two by the same director, so this edges out Hereditary as that one felt like more of a homage to other films.

4. Blair Witch Project - doesn't stand up as well now but was very fresh at the time and a big piece of horror history imo

5. Kill List - unsettling from the start before any horror comes in, then only gets worse from there.

Missing out - Texas Chainsaw Massacre, It Follows, The Descent, The Ritual, The Conjuring, Insidious, Silence of the Lambs, loads really.