Film Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 7)

Surprised at the popularity of 28 Days Later.

Isn't it widely considered the best modern zombie/rage virus film by a comfortable distance? I know that people like Shaun Of The Dead too, but that's more comedy than horror.

The Exorcist
Scream
Psycho
An American Werewolf in London
The Shining

Isn't it widely considered the best modern zombie/rage virus film by a comfortable distance? I know that people like Shaun Of The Dead too, but that's more comedy than horror.

Well this is horror week, and the zombie/rage virus genre (very specific!) is a pretty small part of that, no? Each to their own but I don't get the love. I'm probably blinded by the fact it was filmed on a potato and half the cast - especially past the half-way point - can't act.

1. The Omen I-III
2. Dracula (old version, with Christopher Lee). Kept me awake for weeks after I was rashly allowed to see it at age 11.
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. The exorcist
5. Nosferatu

Hon. mention: The Shining, Carrie, the Birds, Alien, Silence of the Lambs, Jaws, American Werewolf in London, Let the right one in.

Dang, I really should have changed my vote and put Parasite and 12 Angry Men at 1 and 2. We need more non-English films and older classics!

1. Ringu
  2. Ju-On
  3. Midsommar
  4. Psycho
  5. It Follows

So far we've had Superbad get in ahead of Airplane and every Monty Python film, Rocky get in ahead of 12 Angry Men and Parasite, and Inglorious Basterds get in ahead of No Country For Old Men.

All we've shown so far is that the Caf has absolutely no taste at all - not even among the popular, mainstream, well known things. God knows what the people voting for Kurosawa movies and foreign language art house stuff think. :lol:

So far we've had Superbad get in ahead of Airplane and every Monty Python film, Rocky get in ahead of 12 Angry Men and Parasite, and Inglorious Basterds get in ahead of No Country For Old Men.

All we've shown so far is that the Caf has absolutely no taste at all - not even among the popular, mainstream, well known things. God knows what the people voting for Kurosawa movies and foreign language art house stuff think. :lol:
Fair point but... This is favourite movies not best movies.

It's the genre issue. Should have been done by year(s). Don't blame DS as he went by majority rule. It's just that the majority were wrong.

I’m judging. Very harshly.

It’s actually fine with me. I would be very happy if at least some arthouse movies made the cut. That would already be more than I’d have expected before.

Disappointed that we're on page 2 with just one vote for probably the greatest horror movie of all time, Halloween.

1. Halloween
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
3. Scream
4. Nightmare On Elm Street
5. Day Of The Dead

It's the genre issue. Should have been done by year(s). Don't blame DS as he went by majority rule. It's just that the majority were wrong.
I'm thinking about doing music albums next year, that will definitely be by decade though so let's see how that one pans out. Although my music taste is somehow worse than my film taste so nothing I vote for will make it past any round.

1 Jaws
2 The Silence of the Lambs
3 The Shining
4 Misery
5 Dolores Claiborne.

Last edited:
I love movie snobs. You are so interesting for liking artsy pale bespectecaled intellectuals taking a dump on black and white film while speaking a foreign language while the rest of us peasants loudly scream ADRIAAAAAAAN into our TV together whilst dressed as Captain America.

Toughest 5 for me so far.

First 4 are a lock but the fifth spot could have gone to one of 5 films.

1. The Thing (1982)
2. Hereditary
3. A Quiet Place
4. Halloween
5. The VVitch

Honourable mentions to Scream, The Conjuring, Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Alien.

1. The Omen I-III
2. Dracula (old version, with Christopher Lee). Kept me awake for weeks after I was rashly allowed to see it at age 11.
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. The exorcist
5. Nosferatu

Hon. mention: The Shining, Carrie, the Birds, Alien, Silence of the Lambs, Jaws, American Werewolf in London, Let the right one in.
Oman 3 is utterly dreadful, Sam Neil's worst film by some way.

The hardest category for me, very hard to whittle it down to just 5.

1. The Thing
2. The Shinning
3. The Exorcist
4. Evil Dead.
5. Carrie

How the hell do I get it down to just 5, when there is all this, Halloween VVitch, Hereditary, Misery, The Silence of the Lambs , Jaws, An American Werewolf in London, The Fog, Hellraiser 1and 2, Insidious, IT (original), Nightmare on Elm Street, Alien 1 and 2, the Omen 1 and 2 (original), Salams Lot, Saw, Se7en, Christine , Psycho, Orphan, The Hitcher (original), Amityville Horror, The Wicker Man, 1408, Candyman, Pet Cemetery, Scream, 28 days later. Plus what ever I can remember right now.
My head is mashed, just trying, my 5 may change.

Last edited:
Yeah, surprised to see Jaws here. I never thought of that as a horror movie. It was the very first "summer blockbuster movie" so it would be nice to see it through.

1. The Thing
2. The Shinning
3. The Exorcist
4. Evil Dead.
5. Carrie

How the hell do I get it down to just 5, when there is all this, Halloween VVitch, Hereditary, Misery, The Silence of the Lambs , Jaws, An American Werewolf in London, The Fog, Hellraiser 1and 2, Insidious, IT (original), Nightmare on Elm Street, Alien 1 and 2, the Oman 1 and 2 (original), Salams Lot, Saw, Se7en, Christine , Physio, Orphan, The Hitcher (original), Amityville Horror, The Wicker Man (remake), 1408, Candyman, Pet Cemetery, Scream, 28 days later. Plus what ever I can remember right now.
Love the list. Especially the Wicker Man Cage version.

1. The Thing
2. The Shinning
3. The Exorcist
4. Evil Dead.
5. Carrie

How the hell do I get it down to just 5, when there is all this, Halloween VVitch, Hereditary, Misery, The Silence of the Lambs , Jaws, An American Werewolf in London, The Fog, Hellraiser 1and 2, Insidious, IT (original), Nightmare on Elm Street, Alien 1 and 2, the Oman 1 and 2 (original), Salams Lot, Saw, Se7en, Christine , Physio, Orphan, The Hitcher (original), Amityville Horror, The Wicker Man, 1408, Candyman, Pet Cemetery, Scream, 28 days later. Plus what ever I can remember right now.
Ah feck, I forgot Silence of the Lambs :(

1) Alien
2) The Mist (2007)
3) The Thing (1982)
4) The Shining
5) The Black Phone

Is the Jaws the only potential horror movie that has an animal as the “bad” guy ?

Personally I‘ve thought the shark should have won and eaten everyone in that stupid town.

There is a serious lack of Get Out here!

giphy.gif