Ferdinand or Vidic in their pomp

Why do you attribute silks and tekkers to defending? Ferdinand is classy in his defending, which means he has fantastic reading of the game and often doens't have to make last-grasp and heroic challenges like Vidic because he goes about his defending in a much more mannered way. It's as much to do with his positioning and reading of the game as it do with Vidic's aggressive style which is why they suit each other perfectly, who can do the most kick ups doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure how you came to deduce that from my post.

Fair enough.

Personally, I don't think that going into sliding tackles shows a lack of fantastic reading the game. I think Vidic prefers to be in the striker's face, and Rio prefers a hands off approach. You need both styles in your defense.

Again, this makes absolutely no difference to how many goals we concede when Rio does or doesn't play.

Nor is it particularly relevant to the goals conceded with/without Vidic. You could argue that he might be tired from playing so many games but, as you just pointed out, some of our worst defensive performances came earlier in the season when fatigue can't have been a factor.
Nah, those stats are obviously flawed.

Almost all of the games that Rio has played in has been next to Vidic, ie. our first choice central defence.

Whereas a significant portion of Vidic's games have been next to Smalling (or another), who as good as he's been certainly isn't at Rio's level. That will drag Vidic's stats down.

Fair enough.

Personally, I don't think that going into sliding tackles shows a lack of fantastic reading the game. I think Vidic prefers to be in the striker's face, and Rio prefers a hands off approach. You need both styles in your defense.

It shows a lack of positional sense.

So? Vermaleen is more classy, silkier and tekker than Vidic, does that make him a better defender?

Being a "classy" defender isn't just about being good on the ball, it's about reading the game and positioning. When Rio's having a good game you don't really notice him, you just notice that the other team isn't fecking scoring.

Fair enough.

There's a theme that the great defenders were much Rio-like than Vidic-like.

I don't think that's a coincidence.

Threads like this don't do Vidic justice really because he's quality and we all love him, yet it seems like he's being talked down!

I'd take Rio now, he may have lost a yard of pace but his positioning is so good he barely needs to tackle let alone run.

You lot have ruined the thread for Vuc. To hell with you all. Vuc, I will choose Vidic if I had not seen Rio.

There's a theme that the great defenders were much Rio-like than Vidic-like.

I don't think that's a coincidence.

Threads like this don't do Vidic justice really because he's quality and we all love him, yet it seems like he's being talked down!

Yeah, I chose Rio by the way. When Vidic plays well, he is a beast, when Rio plays well, the defense plays well. Vidic is young so he has time to improve.

So you did, damn you. All duly edited and corrected now.

The presence/absence of Rio remains a much greater influence than the presence/absence of Vidic.

We should actually probably recalculate it, ignoring all the games in which neither of them played (e.g. WHU in the CC) but I cannae be arsed.

This is going to come out majorly mongtarded, but here goes...

If Rio has missed a greater proportion of games and the games he has played in have, generally, been alongside Vidic, then surely it stands to reason that he's going to have a better defensive record than Vidic, who plays more games and will have played more games alongside a weaker partner...

That makes sense in my head.

You don't need numbers to work out that Ferdinand is miles better than Vidic.

You don't need numbers to work out that Ferdinand is miles better than Vidic.

I agree that Ferdinand is the better footballer overall. I don't think it's even close. It's not an indictment of Vidic, who's very good, but Ferdinand is outstanding.

Whoever it was that said that Vidic is a great defender but Ferdinand will be remembered as one of the greats probably had it about right

Both fantastic defenders, but Ferdinand at his best is significantly better than Vidic, that's no sly against Vidic, it's like the Schmeichel-VDS debate, both are top GKs, but Schmeichel is one of the greatest of all times, there's no shame in losing out in these comparisons

Vidic is the better defender. More dominant, more no-nonsense, less likely to be bullied. For me at his best, he just completes owns his area (which is most of his side of the pitch), and is more likely to 'somehow' get a foot in and win the ball.

His positioning is second to none but people often fall prey to thinking it isn't because his role is to go and attack the ball always which of course means he has to be the more aggressive one. And when you play that role you play a higher risk game than being the more subdued of the central pairing.

More likely to foul and/or get sent off. The the trick is not to get yourself in a position where you need to be a have-a-go hero (see Ferdinand).

It's also why Terry and Carragher were over-rated in their pomp with a last ditch block/tackle compensating for iffy positioning or a lack of pace.

More likely to foul and/or get sent off. The the trick is not to get yourself in a position where you need to be a have-a-go hero (see Ferdinand).
More likely to dominate his area. The trick is to win the ball and make sure you get the better of the attacker some way or the other (see Vidic).

It's also why Terry and Carragher were over-rated in their pomp with a last ditch block/tackle compensating for iffy positioning or a lack of pace.

We went on a record breaking run when Vidic was partnered with Evans. He doesn't have iffy positioning at all. It's top notch in fact.

For Vidic getting beaten by a genuine piece of skill by Eto'o, Rio let a midget in relative terms (Messi) somehow tower over him to score a header in the CL final. That was awful positioning. Not saying Rio is poor at it but to say Vidic has iffy positioning is laughable. Anyways, to each his own.

This is going to come out majorly mongtarded, but here goes...

If Rio has missed a greater proportion of games and the games he has played in have, generally, been alongside Vidic, then surely it stands to reason that he's going to have a better defensive record than Vidic, who plays more games and will have played more games alongside a weaker partner...

That makes sense in my head.

Yeah, that does make sense actually. If Rio is partnered with Vidic in a higher percentage of his starts then Vidic is partnered with Rio it will definitely bias the stats.

We really need to compare "Rio + A.N. Other" vs "Vidic + A.N. Other".

Bagsy not!

People saying Ferdinand is "miles" better are bonkers, he's a better defender from open play but from set pieces and when the ball is in the air Vidic is equally far ahead. Lets not forget just how many aerial balls Vidic wins, something Ferdinand at his best could never do. Team's cant play long ball against us because none of their strikers ever win the first ball to get the knockdown, part of our problem before we got Vidic was the opposition just used to be able to plonk the ball up field and their midfielders could fight for the knockdown in our half, when Vidic's playing this doesn't happen.

Ferdinand is the better defender but he isn't "miles" ahead. Just because getting your head to everything isn't glamorous doesn't mean it isn't vital, it requires good awareness and excellent positional sense (something people seem to be criticising him for here), as well as a lot of determination and bravery to be willing to put your head where it hurts regardless. Lets not forget Vidic isn't like Jaap Stam or Chris Samba, he's not a massive unit which makes his total dominance aerially all the more impressive.

I'd say a defensive partnership of two Ferdinands wouldn't be much better (if at all) than two Vidic's and both would be considerably weaker than what we have now. Where Ferdinand put's distance between himself and Vidic is his organisational skills, but then it's easier to be an organiser when you're playing along side someone as good as Vidic 99% of the time rather than Smalling or Evans.

It was a general point Amol highlighting a strength of Ferdinand's rather than a criticism of Vidic who I think is as good as anyone at the moment.

People saying Ferdinand is "miles" better are bonkers, he's a better defender from open play but from set pieces and when the ball is in the air Vidic is equally far ahead. Lets not forget just how many aerial balls Vidic wins, something Ferdinand at his best could never do. Team's cant play long ball against us because none of their strikers ever win the first ball to get the knockdown, part of our problem before we got Vidic was the opposition just used to be able to plonk the ball up field and their midfielders could fight for the knockdown in our half, when Vidic's playing this doesn't happen.

Ferdinand is the better defender but he isn't "miles" ahead. Just because getting your head to everything isn't glamorous doesn't mean it isn't vital, it requires good awareness and excellent positional sense (something people seem to be criticising him for here), as well as a lot of determination and bravery to be willing to put your head where it hurts regardless. Lets not forget Vidic isn't like Jaap Stam or Chris Samba, he's not a massive unit which makes his total dominance aerially it all the more impressive.

I'd say a defensive partnership of two Ferdinands wouldn't be much better (if at all) than two Vidic's and both would be considerably weaker than what we have now. Where Ferdinand put's distance between himself and Vidic is his organisational skills, but then it's easier to be an organiser when you're playing along side someone as good as Vidic 99% of the time rather than Smalling or Evans.

Good analysis.

For me Ferdinand just makes better decisions in his positional play. Vidic looks the superior leader though

We're absolutely blessed to have the two best defenders in world football on our books

Ferdinand is the better defender but he isn't "miles" ahead. Just because getting your head to everything isn't glamorous doesn't mean it isn't vital, it requires good awareness and excellent positional sense (something people seem to be criticising him for here), as well as a lot of determination and bravery to be willing to put your head where it hurts regardless. Lets not forget Vidic isn't like Jaap Stam or Chris Samba, he's not a massive unit which makes his total dominance aerially it all the more impressive.

I guess the point is that there are plenty of centre-halves who can dominate in the air (Stam and Samba are two but there are loads of others, like Hangelaand, Cahill, Terry, the Greek bloke at Liverpool etc. etc.) while it's rare to find a centre-half as polished as Ferdinand.

Stick Rio alongside any of the names I just mentioned and you've still got a hell of a pairing. Not sure the same applies if you stick Vidic alongside central defenders at the same sort of level (although Vidic is still a better player than any of them)

There's definitely not "miles" between them but Ferdinand is the rarer talent of the two.

I guess the point is that there are plenty of centre-halves who can dominate in the air (Stam and Samba are two but there are loads of others, like Hangelaand, Cahill, Terry, the Greek bloke at Liverpool etc. etc.) while it's rare to find a centre-half as polished as Ferdinand.

Stick Rio alongside any of the names I just mentioned and you've still got a hell of a pairing. Not sure the same applies if you stick Vidic alongside central defenders at the same sort of level (although Vidic is still a better player than any of them)

There's definitely not "miles" between them but Ferdinand is the rarer talent of the two.

None of those, with the exception of Terry at his very best come close to Vidic's ability as an all-round defender, which you need to be at Man Utd. We've stuck Vidic with Smalling and Evans and had record breaking defensive runs, so that argument doesn't hold much water either. I'd say finding a footballing centerback who can dominate in the air is nearly as hard to find as finding one in Ferdinands mould. I count us as having 5 great centerbacks in Fergies reign, 2 (Pallister and Ferdinand) have been "footballers" and 3 (Stam, Vidic, Bruce) have been "stoppers".

Rio

Defensively he makes it look oh so easy. He can dominate his opponents aerially and on the ground and he had the pace to keep up with anyone. As most people have said, his all round game sets him apart. His silky control and passing allowed him to play like an extra midfielder for us. I always like seeing him bamboozle the opposition and start one of those pacy runs from deep. If I wanted to create my perfect central defender I would always start with Rio as the template.

You can't seriously choose Vidic over Ferdinand. Vidic lacks pace, doesn't read the game very well and is prone to giving away stupid fouls (which have seen him sent off far too often). Ferdinand is the best CB I've seen in the top flight in England.

You can't seriously choose Vidic over Ferdinand. Vidic lacks pace, doesn't read the game very well and is prone to giving away stupid fouls (which have seen him sent off far too often). Ferdinand is the best CB I've seen in the top flight in England.

I don't agree with that at all.

Rio at his best was better, but you seriously under-rate Vidic. He does do the occasional stupid foul when he's beaten and ends up risking a penalty and/or red card, but it's once in a blue moon. Otherwise he's an extremely dominant centreback who is almost certainly the best in the world today.

Rio definitely, nothing against Vidic, he is one hell of a player, but Rio in his pomp I never worried about anyone scoring on us.

It just seemed like the opposition would try and play around him and he would collect the ball, without much of a fuss, and without really running or making it look all that hard.